Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:08:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Corpses Take The Bus

Started by studpuppet, May 23, 2022, 03:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

A real punch in the guts this. I was too young for Microdisney but I fucking loved the Fatima Mansions as a young man.

studpuppet

Yup - I posted this on another thread not long ago. He was marvellously subversive.

(Maybe should have been 'Only Losers Take The Hearse' though)

Egyptian Feast

Absolutely heartbroken. One of my favourite vocalists of all and responsible for so much great music with Microdisney, Fatima Mansions, North Sea Scrolls, Telefís and solo. I played this just now for my mother, who hadn't heard of him, and it broke me.

Fucking hell, that's genuinely stunned me. Particularly as he's been so productive in recent years with the Microdisney reunion shows, his solo album and the Telefis project. I had a shiver of dread when his Microdisney collaborator Sean O'Hagan revealed he'd had cancer treatment a short while back, but Cathal never mentioned anything about his illness that I'm aware.

A criminally underrated songwriter and performer.

dontpaintyourteeth

Oh fuck no. RIP. Lost in the Former West is secretly one of the best albums of the nineties. Viva Dead Ponies is brilliant too.

SpiderChrist

Hard to think of a more incendiary opening to a song than the spoken intro of "Blues For Ceausescu"

QuoteWELL, HELLO
YOU CAN NO LONGER DEPEND ON THE LAND IN WHICH YOU WERE BORN
YOU CAN NO LONGER DEPEND ON THE LAND IN WHICH YOU CHOOSE TO PLACE YOURSELF
YOU CAN NO LONGER DEPEND ON THE BED IN WHICH YOU LIE BY NIGHT
OR THE ROOM IN WHICH YOU SIT BY DAY
YOU CAN NO LONGER DEPEND ON THE PILLOW ON WHICH YOU LAY YOUR HEAD
YOU CAN NO LONGER DEPEND ON YOUR LOVER FOR ANYTHING
YOU CAN NO LONGER DEPEND ON THE EXISTENCE OF SILENCE IN YOUR MIND WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES
GO TO ENGLAND, BABY RAPER, FALSE ECONOMIST!
CALL YOURSELF KING CHARLES THE THIRD
NO-ONE WILL NOTICE, NO-ONE WILL BE ALARMED
THERE IS NO CONSTITUTION
NO...GOODBYE!

Jockice

Oh bollocks. A very underrated artist.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on May 23, 2022, 04:46:33 PMOh fuck no. RIP. Lost in the Former West is secretly one of the best albums of the nineties.

The King of the Papists is a friend to the rapists, indeed

Pauline Walnuts

SpiderChrist

I've been listening to Cathal Coughlan since I was 18, when I first bought Microdisney's We Hate You South African Bastards. I love his stuff so much. Now I'm sat listening to Tales of Co-Aklan and getting more than a tad maudlin.

dontpaintyourteeth

lest we forget. both gone now. it's a fucker, isn't it?

Pauline Walnuts

'Three Dead People For Three Deaf People', indeed.

I don't know if Paul Jarvis is dead or not.

king_tubby

Let us also not forget the night when the Fatima Mansions were supporting U2 in Milan, and he tried to stick a shampoo bottle shaped like the Virgin Mary right up his hole.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on May 23, 2022, 05:42:47 PM'Three Dead People For Three Deaf People', indeed.

I don't know if Paul Jarvis is dead or not.

Good point. Apologies if you read this Paul. Unless you're also dead

the ouch cube

I was kind of not that surprised by Mark Lanegan, simply because of his lifestyle, but this is totally unexpected and just bloody awful.

All three full length Mansions are essential, especially 'Former West', which against stiff competition, probably is the best rock record of the 1990s, yeah. Certainly the best non-American one.

cosmic-hearse

RIP - absolutely gutted. Still listen to Valhalla Avenue all the time.

Will never tire of this performance:

Egyptian Feast

Shaky

Ah fuck's sake. He wasn't looking well these last few years but this is still a shock.

wrec

Was really devastated by this news. Have been a fan since the 90s. Was at three of the Microdisney reunion gigs which were wonderful with not a hint of cash in about them. Unparalleled in Irish music and way too great to be anything but overlooked and underrated.

SpiderChrist

Fatima Mansions back catalogue now on Spotify, with albums full of bonus tracks (not sure when they were added) so hopefully there'll be some CD reissues at some point.

Does anybody know what actually went down with Kitchenware Records and The Fatimas?

Egyptian Feast

Not sure about the Kitchenware saga, but I asked him about FM CD reissues on Twitter years ago and he said the albums couldn't have been reissued then as the rights were held in "a dead letter office" in Arizona or somewhere. Not sure exactly what he meant by that, but it was worded nicely, so I was happy enough with the response if none the wiser.

I thought I heard somewhere that he reckoned their masters had been caught up in the Universal fire, but if they've been reissued on Spotify surely that's a good sign. It was nice to hear that the underrated final two Microdisney albums were finally made available with bonus tracks on streaming services recently, as Virgin or Universal or whoever have never bothered to reissue them. I picked up a copy of their final 12" signed by all members for £1.50 on Discogs a couple of years back and felt sad for the bargain.

I was over in Dublin with my family at the weekend and the news arrived as I was getting ready to fly back, which was a shit way to end a glorious weekend. My mum was watching the 5:30 news on some Irish Virgin Media channel I'd never seen before, then the 6pm news on RTÉ and he didn't warrant a mention on either.

Don't know about Kitchenware, but I remember him saying that financial trouble with the band led to them signing a terrible deal with Radioactive Records which prevented Cathal being able to release any music for years.

buzby

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 24, 2022, 09:35:13 PMNot sure about the Kitchenware saga, but I asked him about FM CD reissues on Twitter years ago and he said the albums couldn't have been reissued then as the rights were held in "a dead letter office" in Arizona or somewhere. Not sure exactly what he meant by that, but it was worded nicely, so I was happy enough with the response if none the wiser.
The deal FM signed with MCA led to him not being able to move to another label after they split, and MCA wouldn't release any of his material. He carried on writing songs for 4 or 5 years after the split which they wouldn't release, so he ended up submitting tracks that were so offensive they couldn't be released. Eventually Kitchenware and the Musician's Union helped broker a deal with MCA to release him from the contract, and as part of that deal it seems MCA's FM catalogue was sealed off (in his words 'The bald details are that they will never be able to do anything with the catalogue.'). Whether that changes now he's passed away is another matter.

SpiderChrist

Cheers for the info all, yeah I forgot Fatimas were on Radioactive Records.

Pauline Walnuts

<tag> Only losers take the hearse </tag>

Rev+

Couldn't quite find the words to comment on this when it happened, and still can't.  The world doesn't know what it's lost.  Music industry fuckery means that'll probably remain the case.

<tag> But here's the one, that's causing all the fuss,
why do...   </tag>