Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No9 series 7

Started by SilverFish, September 17, 2021, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

That's what I thought, but it was a bit of a jump.

phantom_power

I think the "Mays is dumb" does a lot of the heavy lifting in that plot. I liked it overall but the "man gets shot over a tussle with a gun" thing is really poor plotting and they should have thought a bit harder about how to get Isaacs out of the picture

somersetchris

Quote from: phantom_power on May 19, 2022, 04:35:59 PMI think the "Mays is dumb" does a lot of the heavy lifting in that plot. I liked it overall but the "man gets shot over a tussle with a gun" thing is really poor plotting and they should have thought a bit harder about how to get Isaacs out of the picture

A slight concern is that two episodes in a row have been about plotting cliches, and they have steered into them rather than try to do anything interesting. In the podcast, Steve Pemberton says something like 'we know that there are a lot of tropes with this kind of story, and we didn't try to avoid them'. The focus seemed to be with the split screen thing, and the guest stars, rather than anything to do with the actual story.

I agree, I can't believe anyone still does that, 'they fight over a gun and one of them puts his hand in blood and realises he's been shot' thing. Fucking hell.

I do think the last couple of series have taken a sharp downturn, but they have had lockdown to contend with, when both writing and especially shooting will have been incredibly hard. They've been fine, but not much that I will revisit - except the Last Night of the Proms one, which was really atrocious. The rest have been okay.

somersetchris

Quote from: Stigdu on May 18, 2022, 10:38:24 PMEnjoyed that one. Nice and twist-y. Can't believe they got Jason Isaacs in the episode.

They mention on the podcast that he's been a fan of theirs for a very long time. Hello to Jason Isaacs!

Tony Tony Tony

Any thoughts why the episode title was Kid/Nap?

There must be a reason why the word was split in two parts (apart from the obvious that there was a split screen).

Enzo

For the first 20 seconds of the episode I thought the postman was being played by Todd Carty.

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 19, 2022, 11:15:47 PMAny thoughts why the episode title was Kid/Nap?

There must be a reason why the word was split in two parts (apart from the obvious that there was a split screen).

I assumed because it was a kid (joke/pretend) kidnap rather than the actual thing. I'm often wrong, though.

mr. logic

Quote from: trabuch on May 19, 2022, 03:24:41 PMMe too. But in the podcast they say not. And that it should have been obvious it wasn't.

Because if that was the plan why did he act like he was genuinely kidnapping her when they were alone at the start?

trabuch

Quote from: mr. logic on May 20, 2022, 06:06:36 AMBecause if that was the plan why did he act like he was genuinely kidnapping her when they were alone at the start?

Good point.

somersetchris

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 19, 2022, 11:15:47 PMAny thoughts why the episode title was Kid/Nap?

Maybe I'm being harsh but I think that was the only reason. We split the title in half like we did with the screen - did you see?

Jasha

Can't help thinking they wrote the ending at 3am after realising it had to be in first lesson

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: mr. logic on May 20, 2022, 06:06:36 AMBecause if that was the plan why did he act like he was genuinely kidnapping her when they were alone at the start?

Yeah, I'd have to watch it again (and I won't), but I feel like there was loads of bits that made me think "why are you acting like that if there's nobody else there and it's your plan all along" - E.g. Why was she pulling a "I'm depressed because my ear's just been cut off against my will" face?

As is often the case with this this show, I found it an enjoyable enough half hour, but felt they piled on one twist too many.

Glebe

Slightly muddled but that felt more like a proper No. 9 episode.

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on May 19, 2022, 11:26:26 AM
Spoiler alert
Daisy Haggard and Daniel Mays had actually concocted the plan and Isaacs was a patsy all along. However, the lack of Mays suddenly dropping his working class accent for a posher one at the end means I've probably just imagined that
[close]

Yeah, bit baffling that.

Quote from: Kankurette on May 18, 2022, 10:33:27 PMAlso, this is the first time - except for Tempting Fate - that I've spotted the hare!

Yeah, I was like "Spotted him straight off!"

neveragain

I think the plot makes sense but it just wasn't shown as clearly as if could be; a subtle twist is always nice but there was something a bit off here - just not enough in the way of hints leading up to that.

So! What happened was... and this is with help from the podcast... just before Shane cut Lara's ears off, she (unseen by us as there's a jump in time) managed to convince him to run away with her and the money instead. (There is the implication she'll do the dirty on Shane, as he hasn't got a passport.) Edit: phantom_power said this earlier!

There is a hint in the next scene as the police are listening to a tape recording of the cutting incident when there was no tape recorder involved in the incident as we saw it. Hence they faked it. But that's very subtle, isn't it? I didn't realise that until much later. In any case, it makes sense. I'd say anyway. Just perhaps needed another little clue. Or not.

As for Lara's face when Shane touched her bandaged ears, I took it (on reflection) that she was either playing up her 'part' in their ruse for a chuckle or that she didn't like him touching her.

Cast and production were superb. My only real gripe is that they didn't have the split screen all the way through but never mind. (Oh, and Isaacs was marvellous - shame he pegged it early on but a great surprise.) I'll offer some proper reviews after the series is done.

idunnosomename

why did he drink his own piss though

SteveDave

Was Reece doing Bob Mortimer's "Train Guy" voice?

Thosworth

Quote from: neveragain on May 21, 2022, 02:58:54 PMSo! What happened was... and this is with help from the podcast... just before Shane cut Lara's ears off, she (unseen by us as there's a jump in time) managed to convince him to run away with her and the money instead. (There is the implication she'll do the dirty on Shane, as he hasn't got a passport.) Edit: phantom_power said this earlier!

There is a hint in the next scene as the police are listening to a tape recording of the cutting incident when there was no tape recorder involved in the incident as we saw it. Hence they faked it. But that's very subtle, isn't it? I didn't realise that until much later. In any case, it makes sense. I'd say anyway. Just perhaps needed another little clue. Or not.

Loved the episode, editing and perfect pacing, but for me this one plot point was completely broken. I came to ask about it and found your answer.

She is revealing the entire plan and getaway then screams, and the scream perfectly transitions to the recording the police are listening to. The obvious conclusion is they've heard the entire plan, which has been sent with the lobes. But we are supposed to later realise that the scream on the tape was a fake one recorded later.

If she hadn't screamed in the room, but there was a scream playing in the next scene I might have had a chance to work that out, or possibly even if the scream changed tone, but they've used the exact same audio transitioning across the scenes. I was still completely confused at the end by that part.

neveragain

Yes I agree, either of your ideas would have helped quite a bit.

Noodle Lizard

Did they just give up on the idea of doing anything with the split-screen idea? Chekhov's gimmick! The episode was fine, a couple of chuckles, but the plotting was pretty substandard. I think the higher concept episodes tend to suffer the most from the limited runtime, but I appreciate the ambition nevertheless.

Johnny Yesno

I really enjoyed this episode despite the flaws mentioned in this thread. I had to rewind the yes/no game bit a few times and then pause it to have a think about what the hell they were going on about before I finally twigged. Ironic really. What a dunce.

Quote from: Armed Traffic Warden on May 20, 2022, 01:37:43 AMI assumed because it was a kid (joke/pretend) kidnap rather than the actual thing.

Sounds about right. Also, Haggard took a 'nap' when Mayes used the chloroform on her.

Blumf

Best of this season.

Good to see BS 1363 still going strong into the 2060s.

Kankurette

I liked it up until the ending. Also, I'm embarrassed to admit it made me cry. The whole terminal illness thing is a bit close to home.

Could've done without everything after they went
Spoiler alert
back to the future but enjoyed it up to then.

Also what was the holdall he slipped under the bed?
[close]

MigraineBoy

Was the hare
Spoiler alert
The sticker on his laptop?  If so, it's the first time they've deviated from the design - in the stakeout ep it was in a newspaper cutting & in the hotel sniper ep it was on a shampoo bottle, but both times it looked exactly like the ornament
[close]

MigraineBoy

Quote from: This isnt witty sorry on May 25, 2022, 10:46:57 PM
Spoiler alert

Also what was the holdall he slipped under the bed?
[close]

Spoiler alert
Must've been the time machine - hence the "I threw that rubbish out" when Reece asked for it
[close]

Quote from: Vroomo on May 25, 2022, 10:48:40 PM
Spoiler alert
Must've been the time machine - hence the "I threw that rubbish out" when Reece asked for it
[close]

Spoiler alert
But why leave it with himself at all in that case?

Maybe it's explained in the podcast, going to give it a listen now.
[close]

JamesTC

Beautiful.

Felt a bit like when Night Gallery would do a sci-fi episode. Bit weird but still worked. The episode The Little Black Bag comes to mind.

Quote from: This isnt witty sorry on May 25, 2022, 10:46:57 PMCould've done without everything after they went
Spoiler alert
[close]

Initially thought that but the last 10 seconds really made it. The final gut punch.

Kankurette

Spoiler alert
So if the bird had died, Zach's mum would have too? Is this like Sliding Doors?
[close]

JamesTC

Quote from: Kankurette on May 26, 2022, 12:16:42 AM
Spoiler alert
So if the bird had died, Zach's mum would have too? Is this like Sliding Doors?
[close]

Spoiler alert
The bird dying just signifies that Zach never followed the bird back in time and so never saved his mum.
[close]

Spoiler alert
which causes the timeline where he invents time travel and goes back and saves his mum which causes the timeline where he gets killed in the future.

Spoiler alert
which causes the timeline where he invents time travel and goes back and saves his mum which causes the timeline where he gets killed in the future which causes the timeline where he invents time travel and goes back and saves his mum which causes the timeline where he gets killed in the future which causes the timeline where he invents time travel and goes back and saves his mum which causes the timeline where he gets killed in the future which causes the timeline where he invents time travel and goes back and saves his mum which causes the timeline where he gets killed in the future
[close]
[close]