Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Quite funny to see all the inevitable "who the fuck is Robin Ince?" sneering, people saying Ince couldn't possibly understand Gervais' comedy or intentions, and the oh-so-witty making unimaginative "he's not a comedian" jabs. Overlookong that, uh, Gervais platformed him for years as a comedian and formed a close friendship with him. They have to act like any pro-trans person is just some irrelevant idiot who knows nothing and has no insight. In fact there are probably few people better placed than Ince to comment on Gervais.

Pink Gregory

ah yes, Gervais' comedy with it's lofty 'intentions'.  Jesus fucking christ why are people so desperate to elevate this average, thoughtless material.

Cold Meat Platter

He's challenging dogma, don't forget.

He's received a glowing tribute in a column by Sarah Vine on the Mail online site.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Stigdu on May 26, 2022, 11:18:02 AMI'm quite new to this website, so I was expecting loads of people saying how funny the stand up show was, with perhaps one or two people calling it rubbish. I was very surprised to see it's the other way around! I don't think I've ever seen a discussion that's just 99% of people saying how much they didn't enjoy it, or how much they dislike Ricky Gervais.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=11473.0

Captain Z

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 27, 2022, 03:54:40 AMHe's challenging dogma, don't forget.

Channelling dogshit, more like.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Jake Thingray on May 27, 2022, 05:12:45 AMhttps://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=11473.0

Lol @ thewomb aka Driscoll saying "get a life" to someone archiving Gervais shit. What a difference 16 years makes

Blue Jam

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 26, 2022, 11:48:57 PMQuite funny to see all the inevitable "who the fuck is Robin Ince?" sneering, people saying Ince couldn't possibly understand Gervais' comedy or intentions, and the oh-so-witty making unimaginative "he's not a comedian" jabs. Overlookong that, uh, Gervais platformed him for years as a comedian and formed a close friendship with him. They have to act like any pro-trans person is just some irrelevant idiot who knows nothing and has no insight. In fact there are probably few people better placed than Ince to comment on Gervais.

The one time I saw Ricky Gervais live it was when he appeared as a surprise special guest at Nine Lessons And Carols For Godless People. Y'know, as a favour to the organiser and host, his good mate Robin Ince:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Lessons_and_Carols_for_Godless_People#2008:_Nine_Lessons_and_Carols_for_Godless_People

His ten-minute routine included a paedo joke that didn't go down at all well with the audience of clever godless sciencey types. More noises of disgust than laughter.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 27, 2022, 04:40:55 AMHe's received a glowing tribute in a column by Sarah Vine on the Mail online site.

...including an obligatory mention of how furious and embarrassed Meghan Markle must be. The Mail's obsession with MM is disturbing.

I note Gervais hasn't tweeted that particular bit of praise. These are his people now, and I can't imagine he's entirely comfortable with that.

itsfredtitmus

I've never cum over a little queer

chip

Dr Rock

When Gervais first appeared, his edgy punching down character fitted the times somewhat. He might have done better to distance himself by playing a character.
Over the years, as the edgy stuff got stale and problematic, with people like Sarah Silverman changing heir act, he could've done a Partridge style evolution, and kept the character fresh. But he is lazy and thinks playing the same character still works. Despite the success amongst his thick audience he's a dull, spent force, repetitive, 'problematic' and, well, shit.
The context has changed beneath him, and he's ignored it. He's making money, but his comedy credentials are in the toilet, when I once believed he had the wit to evolve. Apparently not.

willbo

I watched some of Gervais' live streams last year (I think he broadcasts them on insta or twitter - I watched facebook re-uploads), where he just hangs out, playing records, showing his pets off and answering questions from viewers. I actually thought he made a quite nice "cosy radio host" and I could see him doing well on Radio 2 in the Paul O'Grady/Vanessa Feltz type slot someday. Probably the nicest content he's ever done, other than that quiz show with the kids.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 27, 2022, 02:13:11 PMThe context has changed beneath him, and he's ignored it. He's making money, but his comedy credentials are in the toilet, when I once believed he had the wit to evolve. Apparently not.

Insightful.

Clearly, he's not as smart as he thinks he is, and if I wonder if his reticence to evolve is rooted in the fear of being "exposed" as soon as he moves away from his pet subjects.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 27, 2022, 01:06:23 PMThe one time I saw Ricky Gervais live it was when he appeared as a surprise special guest at Nine Lessons And Carols For Godless People. Y'know, as a favour to the organiser and host, his good mate Robin Ince:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Lessons_and_Carols_for_Godless_People#2008:_Nine_Lessons_and_Carols_for_Godless_People

His ten-minute routine included a paedo joke that didn't go down at all well with the audience of clever godless sciencey types. More noises of disgust than laughter.

Interesting to see s Lee on the bill. Can't imagine him doing a show like that today

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 26, 2022, 11:33:29 PMThe most interesting part to me is that he and Gervais have regular discussions arguing about the subjects of Gervais' jokes. So he is being pulled up by friends on the hollowness of that defence he always trots out.

That immediately jumped out as the most interesting bit. The cunt's been telt and he won't listen.

What I find strange is that trans issues make up a fraction of a percentage of human life but Chappelle did about 30 minutes and the subject popped up in Gervais's new special. Ince said it's because there's money in it for them but I think it's because they've been told to stop being horrible and they don't like being told what to do. It's reverse psychology, we need to bombard their twitter asking them to talk about the trans thing even more. That'll shut 'em up.

Ferris

Just found out from this standup show that Ricky is an ATHEIST! Interesting as I don't think he's mentioned it before, definitely not on stage anyway.

phes

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 27, 2022, 02:33:36 PMInce said it's because there's money in it for them but I think it's because they've been told to stop being horrible and they don't like being told what to do. It's reverse psychology, we need to bombard their twitter asking them to talk about the trans thing even more. That'll shut 'em up.

It is 100% this. This is a man who made 13 episodes of astonishing bizarre nonsense because he had to say sorry for calling Susan Boyle a mong

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ferris on May 27, 2022, 02:35:48 PMJust found out from this standup show that Ricky is an ATHEIST! Interesting as I don't think he's mentioned it before, definitely not on stage anyway.

It's the seeming lack of intellectual curiosity. How can he not be bored of his atheism by now? I probably was atheist at 15, possibly younger. But the subject of it has never really interested me. It's almost like being fascinated by the fact that you don't like music or art etc. How can a lack of interest in something be so endlessly fascinating? It's so baked into his identity now that his ideas (ahem) branch off from it so he has to quickly mention it to give context for his idea. 

It reminds me of a friend who states he's never seen Star Wars. This is of no interest or significance to me but there is a hint of pride detectable in his voice. Like he's a proper grown up or something.

somersetchris

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 27, 2022, 02:44:51 PMHow can a lack of interest in something be so endlessly fascinating? It's so baked into his identity now that his ideas (ahem) branch off from it so he has to quickly mention it to give context for his idea. 

It's because it's not enough that he is an atheist, he needs to be right. He has to tell everyone whose opinion differs how wrong they are to believe in anything, and he blocks people who disagree.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 27, 2022, 02:44:51 PMIt reminds me of a friend who states he's never seen Star Wars. This is of no interest or significance to me but there is a hint of pride detectable in his voice. Like he's a proper grown up or something.

See also 'actually, I don't own a television'. That's great, but you don't need to endlessly tell us about it.

jobotic

Quote from: somersetchris on May 27, 2022, 02:59:21 PMIt's because it's not enough that he is an atheist, he needs to be right.

It's not enough that he is right, he needs to be applauded for being right

phes

Think it's more about him having the last word. Deep down he probably knows he's a fucking idiot, that why he's orchestrated everything for 10 years + to ensure he never, ever exposes himself to be challenged by anyone

frajer

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 27, 2022, 02:44:51 PMIt's the seeming lack of intellectual curiosity. How can he not be bored of his atheism by now? I probably was atheist at 15, possibly younger. But the subject of it has never really interested me. It's almost like being fascinated by the fact that you don't like music or art etc. How can a lack of interest in something be so endlessly fascinating? It's so baked into his identity now that his ideas (ahem) branch off from it so he has to quickly mention it to give context for his idea. 

It reminds me of a friend who states he's never seen Star Wars. This is of no interest or significance to me but there is a hint of pride detectable in his voice. Like he's a proper grown up or something.

He's not a curious person at all, is he? He mines his surroundings and draws on his real life (and fair play used to do it well, The Office remains great and I enjoyed Extras at the time) but that's his limit. It doesn't have to be a fault if you've got interesting experiences to draw on, but has become a fault because he's got a lovely comfortable life so doesn't have anything new or interesting to say about seemingly anything.

Same with the knock-off Richard Curtis world his widowed avatar lives in After Life. None of it rings true, it's just the comedian Ricky Gervais destroying a town of straw men because they dare to believe in God, or eat noisily, or think that being a 24/7 cunt maybe isn't alright.

Derek is the aberration (in so many ways) but because he didn't have a clue about the world he was setting it in, it might as well have been a fairytale about a maniac living in a demented fantasy version of a British care home. Two-dimensional to the hilt. Maudlin stereotype overdrive.

If he's got a next telly show in him, I'll put a tenner on it being about an amazing stand-up comedian who wearily battles the woke, refuses to be cancelled and needless to say has the last laugh.

Ferris

The atheism thing is just so tedious. I'm an atheist, but who cares?

It's hardly an outré position, a quick google says 40-60% of the UK is non-religious or atheist depending on how you measure it.

Oooh, how brave mate. You're saying the unsayable!

Haha, yeah, it might have been slightly more of a thing in America, but don't bring it back home with you, still wearing it like a badge of honour.

"Man got willy, woman got foofoo. Even Ugg know that! Ha ha ha!"

Imagine if that were your audience. Proper knuckle dragging top gear tier fuckwits. Actually he'd slot right into that role, wouldn't he? Are they still looking for a new Clarkson. He's 60 and he's wearing jeans.

Aw, just looked it up, he has plenty of cars, but can't drive them :(

Blue Jam

Quote from: frajer on May 27, 2022, 03:17:31 PMHe's not a curious person at all, is he?

He reminds me of how my very Catholic mother would question my career choice: "I know you're into your science, and it's fascinating and all that, but... you don't really believe we came from monkeys, do you?". Or those QuIrKy AnD uNiQuE types on Reddit who go on about how they hate smalltalk and would rather talk about quantum physics, when their interest in quantum physics amounts to having watched a lot of Rick and Morty. People who fancy themselves as a bit of a scientist, philosopher, psychologist etc but who have only the most superficial interest in these topics- like hipsters I guess.

QuoteSame with the knock-off Richard Curtis world his widowed avatar lives in After Life. None of it rings true

Derek is the aberration (in so many ways) but because he didn't have a clue about the world he was setting it in, it might as well have been a fairytale about a maniac living in a demented fantasy version of a British care home. Two-dimensional to the hilt. Maudlin stereotype overdrive.

He's so incurious he can't even be bothered to do the basic research which would make his own work more believable. Things like the name "Autumnal Leaves Care Home", when care homes try and avoid names that scream DEAD SOON. Then there's the yoga instructor who doesn't demonstrate the poses and sniffs incessantly, despite control of the breathing and having clear airways being fundamental to the practice of yoga. Not to mention the local paper which somehow turns a profit in 2022. He could visited some care homes and local newspaper offices for research, or attended a yoga class, or even just watched some yoga classes on YouTube.

He'd never try method acting, would he? He's incurious because he's lazy.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 27, 2022, 04:07:25 PMAw, just looked it up, he has plenty of cars, but can't drive them :(

Hasn't he admitted that he never learned to drive purely because he's too lazy? Mind you I can't drive either so I'm one to talk.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 27, 2022, 04:07:25 PMImagine if that were your audience. Proper knuckle dragging top gear tier fuckwits. Actually he'd slot right into that role, wouldn't he? Are they still looking for a new Clarkson. He's 60 and he's wearing jeans.

You jest, but...

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/ricky-gervais-turned-down-host-gig-top-gear-doesnt-know-drive-doesnt-have-drivers-license/

Ferris

He'd be saying the unsayable if he was doing his shtick in Mississippi or Dhaka.

If he did that, I'd rescind all criticism.

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 27, 2022, 04:32:09 PMMind you I can't drive either so I'm one to talk.

No, well, I can't drive either, but we don't swan around on stage in our supermarket denims swilling fosters out of a can and giving it the big I am, do we? Striding around like some sort of driver.

phes

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 27, 2022, 04:32:09 PMYou jest, but...

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/ricky-gervais-turned-down-host-gig-top-gear-doesnt-know-drive-doesnt-have-drivers-license/

It's 2002 and someone tells you Jeremy Clarkson is making semi sympathetic shows about growing vegetables and Ricky Gervais is tearing into trans people

QDRPHNC

Ricky can't drive, because as soon he gets in the car, he starts thinking about all the other cars he could be driving.