Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:00:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Good piece, that.

Edit: new page zero context

:D You're on a roll!

For the future, if you put a . after the com or co.uk or whatever, you can usually bypass paywalls.

For example - https://www.vanityfair.com./hollywood/2022/05/the-difference-between-dave-chappelle-and-ricky-gervais

Or in firefox, you can press f9 for "reader view", you won't get to see the pictures, but you should get the full text.

Replies From View

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 28, 2022, 01:50:52 PM:D You're on a roll!

For the future, if you put a . after the com or co.uk or whatever, you can usually bypass paywalls.

For example - https://www.vanityfair.com./hollywood/2022/05/the-difference-between-dave-chappelle-and-ricky-gervais

Thanks for this!  I wonder how long this workaround will exist - surely they know about it?

Pink Gregory

I was able to read the whole thing, limited number of free articles maybe?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 28, 2022, 02:07:34 PMI was able to read the whole thing, limited number of free articles maybe?

Yes. Same here, got a message about a free article limit.

non capisco

QuoteGervais sees himself as an equal opportunity offender, and even uses that to justify why he targets the trans community in his special. "I talk about AIDS, famine, cancer, the Holocaust, rape, pedophilia. But no, the one thing you mustn't joke about is identity politics," Gervais says toward the end of SuperNature. "The one thing you should never joke about is the trans issue. They just want to be treated equally. I agree. That's why I include them."

Exactly the same disingenuous 'why are they being so sensitive, I tell jokes about everybody' type of shit that Bernard Manning used to trot out.

Quote from: Replies From View on May 28, 2022, 02:00:20 PMThanks for this!  I wonder how long this workaround will exist - surely they know about it?

Yeah, it's weird. I'm guessing youtube could force a way around adblockers as well.
Maybe enough people still pay and watch the ads for them not to think it's worth the bother, yet.
Maybe once all the "boomers" are dead things will change.

Video Game Fan 2000

Chappelle isn't just bitter for personal reasons, his belief that LGBT issues are being purposefully used to undermine the status of black americans is long standing. He was talking about it twenty years ago, and he's alluded to conspiracy theories about black men being effeminised by the media. He's also a Muslim with apparently quite strict beliefs that he feels he would devalue if he spoke about them publically. In hindsight a lot of his material about relationships was about how masculinity is undermined, men being lazy and not being responsible figures. Which is a weird mix when the other big chunk is stoner comedy and dookie jokes.

I do find it really hard to picture Ricky Gervais having any deeply held beliefs are all. Atheism doesn't count because he hasn't seriously considered the question. He's a reactionary through and through - I don't like that thing people are talking about right now, it does my head in.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 28, 2022, 02:44:33 PMI do find it really hard to picture Ricky Gervais having any deeply held beliefs are all. Atheism doesn't count because he hasn't seriously considered the question. He's a reactionary.

His half-arsed commitment to vegetarianism also suggests this, aye.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 28, 2022, 02:14:36 AMwell, just trans women

Trans men seem to get off scot free with the big name comedians. Peculiar that.

ajsmith2

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on May 28, 2022, 12:03:13 AMhttps://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/05/the-difference-between-dave-chappelle-and-ricky-gervais

Seems spot-on.

This bit:

'When I say something I don't really mean for comedic effect, and you, as an audience, you laugh at the wrong thing 'cause you know what the right thing is. It's a way of satirizing attitudes."

That says it all about Gervais's hopelessly out of touch stance. It's the old 90s/00s 'all the battles have been fought, everyone's basically cool now, and we have the luxury to say anything we like with 0 consequences' attitude. It's beyond bold/naive of him (assuming he's doing it in good faith of course) to assume that all of his audience 'know what the right thing is'.

Pimhole

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 28, 2022, 10:54:32 AMIndeed. But Gervais definitely seems to be referring to the people who insisted that Chan's correct pronouns were still used, because that then supposedly means you care more about pronouns than about the fact they raped their own Mother.

I mean, what's so terrible about that anyway? It's only the same thing as managing to remain non-racist whenever a black person or a Muslim does a crime - you don't use that as an excuse to start with the racial slurs. Obviously this is beyond most GCs by definition, like with Marion Millar's off-the-scale isalmaphobia.

Stigdu

I found it very funny. Yes, the trans jokes. Yes, him referring to himself as being in a 1% minority because he's rich.

Reading this thread, I must be in an absolutely minority as most of you seem to hate him.

And apparently, for finding him funny, I must be a moron and a cunt according to some of you. So that's nice.

jobotic

Well if you find kicking trans people funny in itself then....

Or maybe you tell us what's funny about Gervais' funny trans jokes?

Pink Gregory

What's your point?  You liked it, other people don't and they're giving their reasons.

People have largely seen Gervais' standup shows, I've seen them all except this one and have found them lacking since Fame and we've said why.  "I found it funny" isn't much of a discussion.

Ferris

Quote from: Stigdu on May 28, 2022, 04:47:25 PMI found it very funny. Yes, the trans jokes. Yes, him referring to himself as being in a 1% minority because he's rich.

Reading this thread, I must be in an absolutely minority as most of you seem to hate him.

And apparently, for finding him funny, I must be a moron and a cunt according to some of you. So that's nice.

I don't think you're a moron or a cunt. I think you're easily pleased by low-effort material and willing to overlook the context of jokes as long as they are constructed in a way that gets a chuckle out of you.

I can't change that, but I can point out that it's hacky, lazy and morally dodgy and then challenge that material (albeit within my own limited sphere of influence ie a thread on CaB).

I suppose you could argue "don't take it so seriously, it's just a joke! I laugh at anything I find funny!" which is an argument to resurrect racist gags from the '70s as long as punters cackle at the punchline.

C_Larence

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 28, 2022, 04:39:21 PMThis bit:

'When I say something I don't really mean for comedic effect, and you, as an audience, you laugh at the wrong thing 'cause you know what the right thing is. It's a way of satirizing attitudes."

@Stigdu What do you make of this part? Do you think it's a fair explanation for why you find the jokes funny?

Stigdu

Quote from: C_Larence on May 28, 2022, 05:08:20 PM@Stigdu What do you make of this part? Do you think it's a fair explanation for why you find the jokes funny?

Yeah, could be. What can I say? Asking me what I found funny is like asking me why do I like strawberries? It's all subjective.

I'm not saying I was in hysterics throughout, but yeah, a lot of it made me laugh, I guess because I knew it was naughty and you shouldn't really laugh at it.

What shocks me is people blanket-blaming and calling others the c-word because they don't agree with their opinion. That's not on.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Stigdu on May 28, 2022, 04:47:25 PMI found it very funny. Yes, the trans jokes. Yes, him referring to himself as being in a 1% minority because he's rich.

Hi Rick.

phes

This whole thread is ironic bants

bgmnts

If you're saying it's more understandable for Chappelle to be a transphobic piece of shit because he's black then you have to say it's understandable for Glinner's army to be transphobic pieces of shit because they women. Both groups suffer oppression and jostle for position in the hierarchy of oppression, presumably.

Dr Rock

I like strawberries because they are very sweet, with a distinctive taste (although they don't taste as good as they used to), the texture is very pleasing, with the little nodules, and also their appearance is especially attractive, like love hearts.

Stigdu

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 28, 2022, 05:20:11 PMI like strawberries because they are very sweet, with a distinctive taste (although they don't taste as good as they used to), the texture is very pleasing, with the little nodules, and also their appearance is especially attractive, like love hearts.

I feel like I've walked into an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Stigdu

@Stigdu, I don't know how much you follow the subject, but when you see posts like this and realise that Supernature is going to make this mum's daughter's life at least a little worse it's hard to find funny

QDRPHNC

I mean, there are plenty of places to go if you want people to agree with you that he's funny... most of the rest of the world, it seems. Twitter?

Or, if I was being more like Ricky - you want a safe space? ARE YOU TRIGGERED?

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 28, 2022, 05:29:54 PM@Stigdu, I don't know how much you follow the subject, but when you see posts like this and realise that Supernature is going to make this mum's daughter's life at least a little worse it's hard to find funny

lol offended

Pimhole

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 28, 2022, 05:20:11 PMI like strawberries because they are very sweet, with a distinctive taste (although they don't taste as good as they used to), the texture is very pleasing, with the little nodules, and also their appearance is especially attractive, like love hearts.

Oh so anyone who doesn't like strawberries is a cunt? I see how it is.

Ferris

If you laugh at morally dodgy material because it's 'naughty' (rather than your own morals telling you "hmm bit dodgy this") then there's your problem.

You are relying on society (or rather the judgement of others) to enforce basic politeness because you don't have the requisite morals yourself. Example: I wouldn't think "ooh this joke about a black man is a bit naughty - might get in trouble for laughing at this!" I'd think "well that sucks what the fuck?".

The former implies you don't care about whether something is morally reprehensible because it doesn't impact you personally. What you care about is getting into trouble so it feels 'naughty' (rather than, say, bad and wrong).

Again, you could say "don't take it so seriously! I laugh at anything that's funny!" which ignores the fact that's an argument to start doing properly dodgy material. It's also a comedy forum so don't be blown away when people discuss comedy in more depth than you'd see elsewhere.

Ferris

Quote from: Pimhole on May 28, 2022, 05:33:25 PMOh so anyone who doesn't like strawberries is a cunt? I see how it is.

You pivot to saying "the c-word" after a few posts mate, show some decorum.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 28, 2022, 05:29:54 PM@Stigdu, I don't know how much you follow the subject, but when you see posts like this and realise that Supernature is going to make this mum's daughter's life at least a little worse it's hard to find funny

A lot of abuse victims would have said (and did say) the same thing about Brass Eye. Not defending Gervais but I don't think you can dismiss comedy because a vulnerable person says something like that.