Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:06:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Stigdu on May 28, 2022, 05:12:06 PMYeah, could be. What can I say? Asking me what I found funny is like asking me why do I like strawberries? It's all subjective.

Sorry to state the bleedin' obvious, but with any discussion of comedy/ art/ music you have to take it as a given that everyone knows 'it's all subjective'. It's the first rule of Fight CaB.

QDRPHNC

I don't even get how the "it's just bantz" thing works with Gervais when he is a self-styled social critic (in his own head).

Famous Mortimer

Is it "pretend the troll isn't a troll" week at CaB?

Stigdu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 29, 2022, 04:02:46 PMSorry to state the bleedin' obvious, but with any discussion of comedy/ art/ music you have to take it as a given that everyone knows 'it's all subjective'. It's the first rule of Fight CaB.

Like I said before, I've only ever posted on the Inside No. 9 discussion board a few times, so I'm very new to this website. This is the second discussion board I've ever posted to on here.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 29, 2022, 04:24:38 PMIs it "pretend the troll isn't a troll" week at CaB?

Why do you think they're a troll?

Stigdu

Oh dear. Here we go...

Being marginalised because I had a different viewpoint to the majority of those in here. The irony is so thick, I could spread it on my toast in the morning.

So, what's the definition of a troll? Let's Google it, shall we?

1. They use new, anonymous accounts.

Well, I've been here a year. Only found out about the place via its mention on Inside No. 9, hence not many posts. Feel free to check my post history.

2. They leave negative or hateful statements.

Again, no. I've been trying to spin how I - shock, horror! - found a comedian's stand-up show amusing and was genuinely surprised that the first place I came to to see who else has seen it was totally trashing it. And I found it why. And it's all good and makes sense. No hatred here.

3. They make outrageous or questionable claims.

I don't believe I've done that. Unless you find the fact I *still* think he's funny is questionable. OK, you might have me on that point.

4. They won't let a topic go and constantly post.

I don't think I've been posting that much, but in my defence I've been laid up in for 3 days with a bad stomach bug that's been a little messy, shall we say, so I've had a little more time to browse the Web.

5. They use bad spelling or grammar.

Well, again, I like to think I've done OK there. Happy to be corrected. I'm certainly no grammar police myself.

I don't think I've said anything to offend or annoy, but if I have, feel free to block me. I don't even know why I'm defending myself, to be honest! Guess I just don't like being accused of shit that isn't true.

Cheers

JamesTC

If Ricky Gervais' gargantuan intellect could manifest itself as a person, I would fuck them so hard. I'm cumming just thinking about it.

QDRPHNC

Isn't it interesting... That those defending a marginalized community... Are now themselves marginalizing someone... For finding the marginalizing jokes funny?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I agree. Let's assume good faith on Stigdu's part. We've all fucking laughed at Little Britain and South Park, don't pretend you haven't.

the science eel

It's the snotty closed-shop of CaB, you're intolerant of anyone who doesn't join in with the consensus.

If that isn't obvious to you then you've been spending too much time here.

Old Thrashbarg

It's only one person who's made the "troll" accusation. And that's someone who accuses everyone of being a troll.

Bigfella

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 29, 2022, 07:51:32 PMI agree. Let's assume good faith on Stigdu's part. We've all fucking laughed at Little Britain and South Park, don't pretend you haven't.
Faith on all sides: I rember singing The Sash and Derry's Walls as an infant.  Should I still harbour a grudge?  The truth is - I don't.  I'll repeat the words of an unassigned terrorist, broadcast mid 90s - 'I will not disrespect the families of those who I have killed by apologising to them.  What I will say is that I can live with what has happened, and I hope that you can too.'  I've quoted that before, because it's true. 

willbo

I used to laugh at trans jokes in the 90s because I thought it was just a sexual kink, like bdsm or something.

bgmnts

Realised walking home today that these are David Brent jokes. Fucking hell.

Martin Van Buren Stan

The most bizarre thing about Gervais is how many intelligent people seem to worshipping the ground he walks on. You could add another dozen or two quotes from "comedy greats" to this list too. I don't know what they all see in him.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Ricky Gervais Retweeted
Peter Egan
@PeterEgan6
·
20 May
@RickyGervais
 Is not only a comic genius & one of the most compassionate people on the planet he's also one of the most generous..absolutely brilliant : Ricky Gervais donates £427,000 from Supernature ticket sales to animal charities

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Stigdu on May 29, 2022, 07:07:10 PMOh dear. Here we go...

Relax the cacks. Relieve the brieves. I think one person said troll.

kalowski

Quote from: willbo on May 29, 2022, 09:48:45 PMI used to laugh at trans jokes in the 90s because I thought it was just a sexual kink, like bdsm or something.
I know what you mean (but for me it was the 70s/80s).
I laughed at this kind of stuff when I was young, because I didn't know any better. I laughed at trans jokes, gay jokes, AIDS jokes, Space Shuttle Challenger jokes and Joey Deacon. Doesn't make it right. I didn't know or think or possibly care about the hurt or ignorance that was being spread.
When Alan Partridge says "I will be the first to hold my hands up and say in the past, circa 1983, I developed a robust dislike for the gay community, but that was before I met Dale Winton. And I realised I had absolutely nothing to worry about" it's clear that the joke is Alan, not gay people and not even Dale Winton.

Quote from: willbo on May 29, 2022, 09:48:45 PMI used to laugh at trans jokes in the 90s because I thought it was just a sexual kink, like bdsm or something.

You'd laugh at me slamming my knob in a door now would you?

The Bumlord

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on May 29, 2022, 10:15:04 PMYou'd laugh at me slamming my knob in a door now would you?

Stick a video up and see if anyone chuckles.

Bigfella

Quote from: Bigfella on May 29, 2022, 09:36:42 PMFaith on all sides: I rember singing The Sash and Derry's Walls as an infant.  Should I still harbour a grudge?  The truth is - I don't.  I'll repeat the words of an unassigned terrorist, broadcast mid 90s - 'I will not disrespect the families of those who I have killed by apologising to them.  What I will say is that I can live with what has happened, and I hope that you can too.'  I've quoted that before, because it's true.
Nothing against you in particular, mate.  Now, as a fully grown man, many of those that I turn to for help are Catholics of a kind.  I love what they do, and I definitely love Dali's Christ of St John on the Chross.

RicoMNKN

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 29, 2022, 09:59:17 PMThe most bizarre thing about Gervais is how many intelligent people seem to worshipping the ground he walks on. You could add another dozen or two quotes from "comedy greats" to this list too. I don't know what they all see in him.

I looked up where the Billy Connolly quote came from, and it was a 2008 show called New Hero of Comedy.  I can't find any clips, but it sounds like he's specifically talking about The Office, doesn't it?
https://www2.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b8c87b12f

Also, that was before most people realised how ironic bigotry was being used by the far right, and it was still very much the zeitgeist in comedy (the others featured in the series were Lucas and Walliams and Sacha Baron Cohen).

Have any big names praised him recently?

Mobius

Quote from: RicoMNKN on May 29, 2022, 11:31:25 PMHave any big names praised him recently?

Nigel Farage, Lawrence Fox, Julie Bindel, Glenn Beck.

flotemysost

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 29, 2022, 09:59:17 PMThe most bizarre thing about Gervais is how many intelligent people seem to worshipping the ground he walks on. You could add another dozen or two quotes from "comedy greats" to this list too. I don't know what they all see in him.

Brandishing the Mail's distaste there, as if he's not fully aware that a lot of his content is solidly aligned with many of the values expressed in it.

I guess if you've chosen to plough the furrow of "I make jokes about EVERYONE, no target is too taboo for me!" but you're full well knowingly pandering to a fanbase with views where there's frequently a fair bit of overlap with other very traditional, old-fashioned ideologies... it must put you in a weird quandary, wanting to appease your fans, but staying edgy and not wanting to show allegiance to anything too mainstream or fuddy-duddy (even though you're literally making unbelievably slovenly subterranean punches for Netflix dollars).

I suppose people who do genuinely think this stuff is the cutting edge of social commentary are so convinced of their own oppression under the imagined bogeymen of cancel culture and woke mania, that they truly believe their views are brave and revolutionary and rebellious - so it doesn't occur to them that it's actually just very fucking backwards and boring and old-fashioned, and really nothing new, actually. I just struggle to see these people as anything other than unimaginative, sheltered prudes, as much as they'd hate that.

(NB - I don't mean anyone in this thread! Just all the people acting like Gervais is some sort of astonishingly inventive oracle because he TELLS IT LIKE IT IS, and is not in fact just a lazy cunt getting rich off transphobia)

idunnosomename

"A stupid fat little cunt who isn't as clever as he thinks he is"

A person on the internet

Bigfella

I made a mistake last night.  I've been trying to give up the drink for a while and it went wrong.  Sorry you had to see it.  Please remove my stupid posts.

The Bumlord

To be honest I didn't understand a word of it so you're all good here.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bigfella on May 29, 2022, 06:46:20 AMEnd of Clarkson piece: 'Needless to say, the show has not gone down well in the world's sixth-form common rooms.  They see his jokes as actual hand grenades.  They accuse him of bigotry and 'literally' killing people.  And they are completely missing the point of what he's trying to say'.  End of quote, excuse typo in previous post, should read 'damn good actor'.  Clarkson's words, not mine!  So what are these awe-inspiring one-liners?  What point are the killjoy wokies missing?

Erecting the same straw men there that Gervais was evoking when he discussed someone screaming "what if SHE rapes me?"

Any evidence of these sixth formers who spectacularly miss the "point" that Gervais literally spells out and Clarkson thinks he's so clever for picking up on?  No, of course not.

frajer

Quote from: Replies From View on May 30, 2022, 08:09:38 AMErecting the same straw men there that Gervais was evoking when he discussed someone screaming "what if SHE rapes me?"

Any evidence of these sixth formers who spectacularly miss the "point" that Gervais literally spells out and Clarkson thinks he's so clever for picking up on?  No, of course not.

Am I a desiccated irrelevant jeans man?

No, it's the sixth formers who are wrong.

Blue Jam

Got a bit of a soft spot for Clarkson, I must confess. While I don't agree with his politics he is intelligent and a good writer (on cars at least, I wouldn't read any of his Fathers' Day toilet books) and a funny and charismatic presenter. He may well have found SuperNature hilarious but he's possibly just parrotting the line. Writing for the S*n though- I can't defend that.

As for the sixth form common room reference- this stereotype of students being politically engaged just refuses to die doesn't it? It'll probably still be around when the current generation of apathetic and students feeling nothing but hopelessness grow up to become journalists.