Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:52:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Here's the first one: 

The second one is a bit darker, I recall, but my quick search hasn't found it.

The Bumlord

Quote from: willbo on June 01, 2022, 08:31:47 AMI spent some time googling a couple of years ago trying to find out if he was a vegetarian. I think he's gone back and forth on it and is kind of vague on it.

I know he's said he's vegan but I suspect he loves cheese too much to fully commit. Not that I could blame him for that.

Stigdu

Quote from: Replies From View on June 01, 2022, 10:33:53 AMDid you ever see Taping Nigel?  Behind the scenes DVD extra (and it's sequel) in which he treats the editor of The Office and Extras as a toy for his own amusement.

Similar to how he treated Robin Ince but with substantially more physical contact.

That just looks like office japes to me. Are we slagging off Ricky Gervais for being a bully now as well, then? I can't tell with you lot if you're deadpan joking or being serious.

willbo

the question of "is Ricky just a harmless joker or a bully or some manic gray area between the two" has been done to death on here over the years. At least Ince seems to still know him and have time for him unlike Karl, Steve and possibly Nigel

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: Stigdu on June 01, 2022, 05:28:02 PMThat just looks like office japes to me. Are we slagging off Ricky Gervais for being a bully now as well, then? I can't tell with you lot if you're deadpan joking or being serious.

What do you mean "as well"?  The thread is almost entirely about Gervais punching down, no?

BritishHobo

Also if it's office japes it's office japes that go entirely one way and far beyond anything I imagine most people have ever seen in a workplace.

grainger

Especially when the person doing it is the boss.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Stigdu on June 01, 2022, 08:15:37 AMYou posted this like it's a bad thing. That was absolutely hilarious! The little looks to camera remind me of Oliver Hardy. Brilliant.

It is bad though. I'm surprised Merchant was sat behind the camera thinking "this is of the required standard to go out". She's just telling him to be a chimney sweep. Why is Warwick putting up with that? It's just stupid.

Unlike some I got along okay with most of Extras (haven't watched it in at least a decade mind) but Life's Too short is abysmal, now and at the time it came out.

Stigdu

We'll agree to disagree. I think Life is Short is absolutely hilarious. So many funny bits.

Replies From View

I wonder why Life's Too Short didn't have a second series + specials.  Is it the only Gervais sitcom not to follow this pattern?

scarecrow

Quote from: Stigdu on June 01, 2022, 07:17:19 PMWe'll agree to disagree. I think Life is Short is absolutely hilarious. So many funny bits.
Like when he tries to step out of the car, but falls because he is small and the car is high up.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Replies From View on June 01, 2022, 08:20:03 PMI wonder why Life's Too Short didn't have a second series + specials.  Is it the only Gervais sitcom not to follow this pattern?

Wasn't there talk of that early on? Seem to remember they quietly dropped that and just did a special after the first series, given the luke-warm reception and poor ratings.

Replies From View

Quote from: scarecrow on June 01, 2022, 08:27:08 PMLike when he tries to step out of the car, but falls because he is small and the car is high up.

Haha short

Stigdu

Quote from: scarecrow on June 01, 2022, 08:27:08 PMLike when he tries to step out of the car, but falls because he is small and the car is high up.

Or Liam Neeson, or the washing machine. Brilliant.

Replies From View

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 01, 2022, 08:35:19 PMWasn't there talk of that early on? Seem to remember they quietly dropped that and just did a special after the first series, given the luke-warm reception and poor ratings.

I've just remembered that when Life's Too Short was broadcast there was suddenly apparently a spate of incidences of drunken thugs grabbing little people and throwing them, breaking their ankles upon landing, and other pranks.  So maybe it was cancelled on that basis. 

I wonder whether the emboldened Gervais of today would even claim to care about such complaints.

Replies From View

Quote from: Stigdu on June 01, 2022, 08:44:17 PMOr Liam Neeson, or the washing machine. Brilliant.

It's intrinsically funny because if a taller man was in a washing machine, he wouldn't fit so he wouldn't be in it.

Whereas a shorter man would be able to fit in it, so he would be in it and so it would be funny.  😂

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I liked it when practically every single person Warwick encountered was horrible to him for no reason whatsoever.

Cuellar

Quote from: Replies From View on June 01, 2022, 08:49:00 PMIt's intrinsically funny because if a taller man was in a washing machine, he wouldn't fit so he wouldn't be in it.

Whereas a shorter man would be able to fit in it, so he would be in it and so it would be funny.  😂

Couldn't they just have got a bigger washing machine?

TommyTurnips

I liked it when the dwarf was sick on his own penis.

Ferris

Frankly I'm disgusted at how quickly everyone forgot gervais co-wrote a "serious" song with the drummer from Razorlight for After Life (including a music video) that failed literally every attempt at rhyming and didn't make it into the series as broadcast.

...but he did an interview with the Mail and the Sun to plug it anyway.

Ferris

In case anyone thought I made that up:

It genuinely doesn't rhyme once after the first line.

Replies From View

Just in case anyone missed it.  This isn't "office pranks" - Nigel genuinely hated this during Extras series 1, and took on the job of editing Extras series 2 on the understanding that these activities wouldn't be repeated.

Quote from: Replies From View on June 01, 2022, 05:45:08 PMTaping Nigel 2 here:

1/3:  https://streamable.com/1yo9
2/3:  https://streamable.com/h3z0
3/3:  https://streamable.com/3rkk

At 3:10, Nigel is bound up with tape and trapped in a cage for the crew of Extras to laugh at him.

Jonathan Ross appears at the 4:45 minute mark as well, discussing whether he should punch Nigel in the stomach "to ruin his day" for a laugh.  Somebody who thinks this is "office pranks" please tell me at what point any of this steps into the territory of being even remotely amusing.

frajer

Quote from: Replies From View on June 01, 2022, 08:49:00 PMIt's intrinsically funny because if a taller man was in a washing machine, he wouldn't fit so he wouldn't be in it.

It does work on a lot of levels. Well, one. (Short level.)

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 01, 2022, 12:18:05 PMMerchant was on The One Show last night, and when asked why he gave all the characters in The Outlaws (including his own) equal screentime, he joked it's because he's not arrogant enough to think he should lead it.

I don't for a second think it was intended as a dig, but it did make me laugh. I also saw he was asked recently if he and Gervais would work together again, and he politely avoided answering the specific question, instead saying that comedy has moved on now and he doesn't think two white blokes would have much to say. Really shows the difference in sensibilities.

I feel like it's been said before, but I've read a few print interviews with Merchant and the question of him ever writing with Gervais again has come up in almost of them with Merchant saying something non-committal about working on different projects but who knows... But I've never seen or heard an interview with Gervais where he's asked about working with Merchant again. It's as if Merchant's been airbrushed out of his reality.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Ferris on June 01, 2022, 09:24:32 PMIn case anyone thought I made that up:

Thank you for reminding us. That's what kindness is - really cheered me up spotting the rhyming misses. I was trying to remember the "lines made of smiles" line about his woman when it was suddenly upon me. Great stuff.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 01, 2022, 08:59:17 PMI liked it when practically every single person Warwick encountered was horrible to him for no reason whatsoever.

My enduring memory is Warwick Davis asking Doc Brown to please ring a doorbell that Warwick can't reach, and Doc Brown inexplicably launching into a rant about how playing Ewoks and goblins isn't proper acting. It really was just a string of people parroting Gervais' 'ironic' viewpoints, wasn't it?

Ferris

Quote from: Des Wigwam on June 01, 2022, 09:55:54 PMThank you for reminding us. That's what kindness is - really cheered me up spotting the rhyming misses. I was trying to remember the "lines made of smiles" line about his woman when it was suddenly upon me. Great stuff.

I enjoyed watching the video again, and the Derke-tier "make the lyrics literally describe what is happening on-screen" direction. You can imagine him storyboarding it out.

"Ok line about the dad, cut to the dad character, now the line about doing things, cut to the shots of Tony way playing squash and walking a dog or whatever, now the 'your woman' (christ) line, cut to shot of me dancing with whatsername from Dinnerladies, ok next line is about..." etc.

It's beyond parody and honestly, lest we forget.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Ferris on June 01, 2022, 09:24:32 PMIn case anyone thought I made that up:

He said life comes down to just three things,
You need
Something to do
Someone to fart on
Someone to film yourself pissing in their tea

frajer

Little Ricky: "Dad, why are you happy? We're poor."