Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:08:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stigdu

Quote from: Pimhole on June 02, 2022, 11:08:04 AMWhat was it that you didn't like about Derek?

I just remember being bored it. I came late to the party, as I started to watch it after I'd already watched most of After Life, and I managed 1 1/2 episodes. I don't think I laughed, was moved, or particularly interested in any of the characters. It's the weakest thing he's done, IMHO.

Stigdu

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2022, 11:23:58 AMAre there nuances of difference between Gervais' character behaving like a cunt because his wife has died in this and his character behaving like a cunt in The Invention of Lying?

I must re-watch this at some point. I don't remember him being a horrible person in the film, but I do remember a very funny bit where he's talking to a large crowd about going to Heaven when you die.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 11:41:22 AMI just remember being bored it. I came late to the party, as I started to watch it after I'd already watched most of After Life, and I managed 1 1/2 episodes. I don't think I laughed, was moved, or particularly interested in any of the characters. It's the weakest thing he's done, IMHO.

Outside of my dislike for the guy's work, it was definitely a gamble. He plays exactly the same character in everything he does, and then for one show only he inexplicably decides to do that.

Replies From View

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 11:42:57 AMI must re-watch this at some point. I don't remember him being a horrible person in the film, but I do remember a very funny bit where he's talking to a large crowd about going to Heaven when you die.

It works really well because in real life Gervais realised that people might not go to heaven, but lying about it might help people reconcile their fear of dying, and it completely blew our minds that he came up with this.

And he put it in a film for the first time ever, and there was probably even a funny glance to camera or something to make it into a comedy.

The guy is an absolute comedy genius and in my view he thoroughly deserves to spread hate about trans people.  He has earned it.

Sonny_Jim

You can't even say you're part of the 1% these days.

Stigdu

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2022, 11:59:15 AMIt works really well because in real life Gervais realised that people might not go to heaven, but lying about it might help people reconcile their fear of dying, and it completely blew our minds that he came up with this.

And he put it in a film for the first time ever, and there was probably even a funny glance to camera or something to make it into a comedy.

The guy is an absolute comedy genius and in my view he thoroughly deserves to spread hate about trans people.  He has earned it.

Sarcasm doesn't suit you. I can't tell if you're poking fun at Gervais, or poking fun at me. Which I don't appreciate. Which is it?

DigForVictory

I seem to recall an interview Merchant did years ago where he said that early on in their partnership he made it very clear to Gervais he wouldn't be tolerating any of the weird bullying that the likes of Robin Ince and Karl and Nigel went through.

So maybe at the start Gervais was attempting that sort of thing with him and Merchant said absolutely not and as they were so successful together at the time Gervais accepted that.

Jake Thingray

What are Stigdu's opinions on the videos linked to upthread of Gervais in the presence of American comedians he's often cited in interviews as his heroes and influences, and coming across as an embarrassing poor relation?

Stigdu

Quote from: Jake Thingray on June 02, 2022, 01:02:38 PMWhat are Stigdu's opinions on the videos linked to upthread of Gervais in the presence of American comedians he's often cited in interviews as his heroes and influences, and coming across as an embarrassing poor relation?

I haven't seen any of them so I have no opinion on that. :)

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2022, 09:20:52 AMThey might consider it a trade-off of working with him,

Karl does, or did. He said Ricky was like an iron lung in that he needed him but wished he didn't. He got his millions and most people would take a fart or two or a bin lid on the head for that.

It's more from Ricky's perspective that fascinates me. He's admitted on air to "torturing" (his words) Karl to the point of snapping and then changing gears at the last minute and winning him back by being nice.

On air they've discussed having crisis meetings about it in XFM.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 02, 2022, 10:22:23 AMHe's a bully, he senses who won't deck him.

Yeah he knows who needs him professionally and targets those people. Also they have to be passive. You could argue Merchant needed him at points but he wouldn't stand for it. You can hear him put Ricky in his place on XFM.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 10:17:31 AMI think some of you are reading far more into it than is necessary. If they were really bothered, they'd have snapped and decked Gervais. Like Pilkington says, he's a grown man. He can take it. What's worth more to these grown men being 'bullied'? The fame and notoriety, or their sense of worth?

You don't seem to understand. You can have success and a sense of self worth.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DigForVictory on June 02, 2022, 12:30:41 PMSo maybe at the start Gervais was attempting that sort of thing with him and Merchant said absolutely not and as they were so successful together at the time Gervais accepted that.

There's no maybe about it. I'm sure Ricky overstepped and there's a recording on XFM where Merchant says to play a record or advert so they can discuss something off air.

Ricky is extremely childish in many ways. I doubt he'd try and humiliate Jonathan Ross or Larry David because he perceives them as richer and/or more talented and Ricky respects that.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

When they first met, Gervais presumably regarded Merchant as someone who would put up with his hilarious bullying. A lanky, bespectacled geek who is more than ten years his junior? Perfect. But when Merchant flat-out refused to go along with it, Gervais gave up. Because it's no fun for him if the victim fights back. He's a coward.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 02, 2022, 01:26:11 PM[...] changing gears at the last minute and winning him back by being nice.

That is the kind of behaviour you hear of a murderous spouse on those I Married a Murderer Who Murdered Me programmes.

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 10:17:31 AMI think some of you are reading far more into it than is necessary. If they were really bothered, they'd have snapped and decked Gervais. Like Pilkington says, he's a grown man. He can take it. What's worth more to these grown men being 'bullied'? The fame and notoriety, or their sense of worth?

I can imagine that kind of behaviour goes on a lot more and is tolerated in industries where contacts and exposure are vital to get what and to where you want and you have to play the game.  A lot of the MeToo stuff bears that out. It doesn't mean it's right and you can hate the player as well as the game. And as @Ballad of Ballard Berkley says Gervais just comes across as a workplace (but school-level) bully and Merchant's exemption highlights it.

I remember Tim from The Office way back in the early 00s talking about how Gervais was annoying to work with. I thought at the time he was saying it with a smile but he really meant "yea, he's annoying" in the same way the guy says "yeah, he drinks" at Neil's welcome do.

Stigdu

I had no idea he had this reputation. It's a shame, as I think he's really funny but this has soured all that a little.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 03:32:01 PMI had no idea he had this reputation. It's a shame, as I think he's really funny but this has soured all that a little.

Welcome to the club. Have a seat. Tea, coffee?

Stigdu

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 02, 2022, 03:42:14 PMWelcome to the club. Have a seat. Tea, coffee?

Not with you lot, no. As some of you seem to think it's cool pointing at the new bloke and treating him like a cunt. Actually, you seem OK. They know who they are.

kalowski

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 03:43:58 PMNot with you lot, no. As some of you seem to think it's cool pointing at the new bloke and treating him like a cunt. Actually, you seem OK. They know who they are.
Wait till you meet me!

DigForVictory

Gervais meets Shandling is endlessly fascinating  and it's been analysed to death on here of course but one of the bits I find interesting is when Gervais tells Shandling, someone he's never met before, that he looks like a character from the Banana splits.

I don't know if it was just Gervais being  too used to insulting the way other people look, like Karl and Steve and Robin Ince and Nigel etc, that he just forgot that you sort of have to know them and be friends with them to do that.

You don't meet someone for the first time and go hey you know who you look like? This weird ugly puppet character.

It seems a weird aspect of Gervais that he has to treat all his mates as though they're freaks or oddballs or pets. And he seemed to try and do it to Shandling who of course had absolutely none of it.

Video Game Fan 2000

The Banana Splits thing is extra painful because he clearly knew what would happen, its offensive-hurtful rather than offensive-shocking, then keeps it going on even though Shandling is offended and angry. He is far more concerned with explaining the wittiness of joke to the camera than talking to Shandling

I thought it would have seemed to Shandling that the premise of the show was a prank at his expense - Gervais doesn't exactly sound sincere or overawed with "you're one of my herwos" - and then its followed up with "I'm a loveable chubby guy and you look like an ugly muppet". And then he explains Shandlings own craft to him. He's so bored when Shandling is talking about writing. You're my hero, your work was the direct inspiration for my own huge personal success but I'm going to stare over your shoulder when you talk about writing? And then change the subject immediately to my personal life.

The Bumlord

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 02, 2022, 01:48:00 PMThere's no maybe about it. I'm sure Ricky overstepped and there's a recording on XFM where Merchant says to play a record or advert so they can discuss something off air.

I think that was Karl's doing:

Can't listen at the moment so I might have the wrong bit.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 03:43:58 PMNot with you lot, no. As some of you seem to think it's cool pointing at the new bloke and treating him like a cunt. Actually, you seem OK. They know who they are.

You should have been here ten years ago, it was like a warzone.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: The Bumlord on June 02, 2022, 05:23:52 PMI think that was Karl's doing:

Bloody hell, that's the very definition of a deafening silence.

RicoMNKN

The chat with Daniel Sloss that Robin Ince mentioned in his Gervais blog is up: https://cosmicshambles.com/bookshambles/daniel-sloss

Ricky Gervais doesn't get a mention by name, but most of their thoughts about lazy offence comedy clearly applies to him.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: The Bumlord on June 02, 2022, 05:23:52 PMI think that was Karl's doing:

Good lord. Why did that fall so flat? It was a bad joke but they could have gone along with it a bit. I've never heard the shows so there's probably background I'm missing. That was absolutely painful.

The Bumlord

It's possible it's just messing about of course.

There are quite a few compilations of insults between Merchant and Pilk.

Old Nehamkin

I always read that bit as Gervais just being a bit capricious with his favouritism towards Karl and deciding on a whim that it would be funny to pull the rug away and leave him hanging. I don't know if there's any other context that I'm missing or have forgotten about from that particular episode, but Ricky and Steve's flabbergasted reactions sound very much hammed up to me.

The Bumlord

Steve didn't hold back to be fair.