Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:34:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 12:27:04 PMSarcasm doesn't suit you. I can't tell if you're poking fun at Gervais, or poking fun at me. Which I don't appreciate. Which is it?

Why not respond to the more comprehensive and detailed responses I've already given, rather than pretending those never happened and honing in on my inconsequential, glib asides.

Replies From View

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 03:43:58 PMNot with you lot, no. As some of you seem to think it's cool pointing at the new bloke and treating him like a cunt. Actually, you seem OK. They know who they are.

It's not a personal thing about you.

In fact it's somewhat unpleasant to take a thread about Gervais punching down and claim that actually people here are punching down towards you for being new.

I thought I offered a fairly decent response (by my standards) to your comment that we were looking too deeply into this bullying stuff, and you've ignored it.

Stigdu

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2022, 07:03:52 PMIt's not a personal thing about you.

In fact it's somewhat unpleasant to take a thread about Gervais punching down and claim that actually people here are punching down towards you for being new.

I thought I offered a fairly decent response (by my standards) to your comment that we were looking too deeply into this bullying stuff, and you've ignored it.

I didn't fucking ignore it. Just fuck off. Are you the one who called me a troll, or the one making snide comments to prove your intellectual superiority over me? Or one of the other ones?

Replies From View

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 07:06:46 PMI didn't fucking ignore it. Just fuck off. Are you the one who called me a troll, or the one making snide comments to prove your intellectual superiority over me? Or one of the other ones?

Yeah you're taking this far too personally.

TommyTurnips

Oooft... just watched the Ricky Gervais Garry Shandling interview again. Well, most of it. Part three of the five parts wasn't available on YouTube for some reason. Has anyone noticed how Ricky changes shoes at one point during the interview? They're outside and Ricky is wearing the black Nike trainers that you'd expect him to wear as part of his Ricky Gervais costume, then they are back inside and he is wearing a much more formal pair of shoes. Weird..

neov1974

the thing with Gervais is how empowered he has been by the wider world

Any and all of Merchant, Pilkington, Davis, cast of the Office etc etc etc would have been insane not to ride the wave that Gervias found himself on.

I don't think any of it really reflects badly on themselves, Merchant (particularly) and Pilkington managed to stay on the surfboard and ride it home, everyone who came later can be forgiven for having realised that there's gold in them thar hills too, and Gervais is this bizarre and horrific passport to it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 02, 2022, 06:31:13 PMI always read that bit as Gervais just being a bit capricious with his favouritism towards Karl and deciding on a whim that it would be funny to pull the rug away and leave him hanging. I don't know if there's any other context that I'm missing or have forgotten about from that particular episode, but Ricky and Steve's flabbergasted reactions sound very much hammed up to me.

Very much so, yes.  These kinds of interactions are obviously part of their 'characters' insofar as you can call them that.  Just like Greg Davies and ‎Alex Horne aren't actually at each other's throats in Taskmaster.

lazyhour

Stigdu, don't let it get to you. This is a comedy forum and therefore we take comedy very seriously. Rightly so, too!

Many years ago you'd have been subject to ridiculous, sustained abuse by several posters who are thankfully no longer active on this forum. Count yourself lucky you've rocked up at this point in time, seriously.

Yes, there have been some pretty gentle jabs in your direction but people have also consistently asked you questions in good faith and responded properly to what you've had to say. Again, don't take the hard edges of some posters on here personally.

No-one is denying your right to an opinion. Most people here - myself included - just don't agree with you. I thought the sun shone out of Gervais's arse when the Office came out, but it's been 20 years of diminishing returns since then, and the more I've got to know his personality the more I've disliked it.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 07:06:46 PMI didn't fucking ignore it. Just fuck off. Are you the one who called me a troll, or the one making snide comments to prove your intellectual superiority over me? Or one of the other ones?

I think someone else called you a troll. Pretty much everyone else is trying to have a discussion, somewhat stridently at times we'd have to admit. Personally I'm fascinated in what Gervais has become and also anyone who states they're a genuine fan of his later work, they're fairly rare around these parts. A Gervais fan getting defensive and pissy is of less interest.

What I can make out by your responses so far is this. You're a fan of Gervais not because you've examined his comedy in any great depth, more because you haven't looked into it that much at all. Which makes a lot of sense, because his stuff doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.

Menu

Quote from: kalowski on June 02, 2022, 07:47:19 AMThe whole of "Life's Too Short" is just the scene with the cab drivers from Taxi Driver.
"I like those midgets. They like to ride up front. Sometimes I like just to pick 'em up so their little legs dangle."

<Travis Bickle Cancelled>

Menu

Quote from: Stigdu on June 02, 2022, 11:42:57 AMI must re-watch this at some point. I don't remember him being a horrible person in the film, but I do remember a very funny bit where he's talking to a large crowd about going to Heaven when you die.

Interesting. Does anyone know what Ricky Gervais thinks about religion?

Menu

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 02, 2022, 06:31:13 PMI always read that bit as Gervais just being a bit capricious with his favouritism towards Karl and deciding on a whim that it would be funny to pull the rug away and leave him hanging. I don't know if there's any other context that I'm missing or have forgotten about from that particular episode, but Ricky and Steve's flabbergasted reactions sound very much hammed up to me.

Come on, it's just a 'bit' isn't it. A 'bit'.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Menu on June 02, 2022, 09:46:01 PMCome on, it's just a 'bit' isn't it. A 'bit'.

Well, I don't think the whole exchange was worked out in advance between the three of them or anything like that. I think it's a case of Karl genuinely going for a laugh with one of his classic savage digs at Steve, overshooting a bit, and Gervais making the improvisational choice to side with Steve and put on a show of mock stunned outrage. So a 'bit', in a sense, but a spontaneous one. That's how I read it, anyway.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, it probably is just a bit of improvised shtick. That sudden frosty silence is a good piece of radio, though. Dead air at its best.

Shandling's explanation of the Gervais interview is that they were at cross purposes. They'd planned to film a couple of segments and each one thought they were filming the other's bit. Shandling thought he was doing an edgy bit for some Gervais promo or something while Gervais thought he was doing the interview for the C4 doc.

I don't want to believe that version of events though, because Shandling nails Gervais so perfectly.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 02, 2022, 10:19:17 PMYeah, it probably is just a bit of improvised shtick. That sudden frosty silence is a good piece of radio, though. Dead air at its best.

Also, remember that the context of this particular episode is they've just failed to do well in the radio awards and they're 'trying' to ascertain what could be wrong with their content whilst being 'inadvertently' shit or inappropriate.  It's a running gag throughout.

Menu

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2022, 10:38:15 PMAlso, remember that the context of this particular episode is they've just failed to do well in the radio awards and they're 'trying' to ascertain what could be wrong with their content.

Yeah I don't think anyone was offended or anything. Obviously not rehearsed but they all knew where it was going.

Replies From View

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on June 02, 2022, 10:35:49 PMShandling's explanation of the Gervais interview is that they were at cross purposes. They'd planned to film a couple of segments and each one thought they were filming the other's bit. Shandling thought he was doing an edgy bit for some Gervais promo or something while Gervais thought he was doing the interview for the C4 doc.

I don't want to believe that version of events though, because Shandling nails Gervais so perfectly.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but my memory is that Shandling was transparently dumbfounded at Gervais' childishly basic take on 'uncomfortable' humour.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Bumlord on June 02, 2022, 06:34:40 PMSteve didn't hold back to be fair.

This is about as 'real' as Ian Boldsworth smashing Raji James's lava lamp.

Famous Mortimer

I'm the one who called you a troll, because you are.

Menu

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2022, 10:47:47 PMThis is about as 'real' as Ian Boldsworth smashing Raji James's lava lamp.

There is that bit that I mentioned a couple of days ago when Stephen really shouts at RG to shut up and let Karl speak. Gervais doesn't seem too pleased about it and goes a bit quiet. It's uncomfortable to listen to. I think it's one of their last ones - those "Ricky Gervais Guide to...." things. Sounds like something that happens at a tense family Christmas that everyone immediately pretends hasn't happened.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on June 02, 2022, 10:35:49 PMShandling's explanation of the Gervais interview is that they were at cross purposes. They'd planned to film a couple of segments and each one thought they were filming the other's bit. Shandling thought he was doing an edgy bit for some Gervais promo or something while Gervais thought he was doing the interview for the C4 doc.

Didn't he also say he thought he was filming first and Gervais arrived in his kitchen with a camera crew and caught him off guard?

That doesn't make much sense as TV is usually planned in detail but I suppose it's possible. None of Schandling's explanations ever rang true. I reckon Gervais just annoyed him and his cheeky shenanigans didn't work with a customer like Schandling, who then retaliated.

I can understand him not wanting to admit to getting pissed off and hitting back. Whatever happened Gervais was totally unprepared for this, couldn't adjust to it and immediately swore off doing anymore of these Ricky meets his heroes episodes.

Until Talking Funny which was a bit less of a disaster.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2022, 10:41:05 PMIt's been a long time since I've seen it, but my memory is that Shandling was transparently dumbfounded at Gervais' childishly basic take on 'uncomfortable' humour.

Didn't he give him a hard time about always shitting on vulnerable people or something? Vague memory of that.

Video Game Fan 2000

Shandling's explanation doesn't cover shit like Gervais saying "thanks its fine I didn't want one" when Shandling makes himself a drink.

It does seem like he thought Gervais was doing a bit but that's not why its such a failure. If Gevais thought he was doing the interview proper, why's he so bored and rude? Gary Shandling misunderstanding you and being confrontational in interview would be fucking gold in the hands of someone less full of himself who could react in kind. My name was floated as a successor to Johnny Carson ...well I worked in an office once. Did you Ricky? For someone who's apparently a Larry Sanders megafan he seems unaware of context of the show or the massive significance of talk shows when it was broadcast - but I suppose you could put it down to the trademark Gervais total lack of curiousity.

Shandling must have felt a bit like Elvis Costello when he appeared on Sanders - Where are the questions? Why isn't anyone interested in my songs? I thought you were supposed to be fans?

Martin Van Buren Stan

Just watching the shandling thing now. It's so hard to take. Not sure I can manage it in one go. I think Shandling puts Gervais on the back foot from the off, and he can't handle it at all.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 02, 2022, 10:50:21 PMI'm the one who called you a troll, because you are.

Why? They've been discussing in good faith the whole time.

checkoutgirl

Gervais was really feeling his oats after getting on like old pals with Larry David and David Guest and was probably thinking "watch and learn son, watch and learn" going into this interview. And then just hits a brick wall with Shanders.

Heh. Pride cometh before a fall.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 02, 2022, 10:50:21 PMI'm the one who called you a troll, because you are.

You don't know that for sure, and we shouldn't be presuming new posters are trolls just because they like Gervais, or whatever. There should be more diversity of opinion on here, not less.

Martin Van Buren Stan

The bit where he confronts Gervais about being uncomfortable around Jewish people seems uncalled for. It's mad that they included it but not Ricky's reply (if there was one).

Edit to add an explanation by Shandling. Seems he doesn't dislike Gervais but was just being a bit postmodern

"Oh, good," he says, and begins to talk.

While completing the DVD extras for Sanders, Shandling had been struck by the idea that Gervais would be a great addition. Though he'd never appeared on the show, Gervais had spoken openly about how Sanders inspired him. So Garry called Gervais and asked if he'd do it. The answer was yes, but Gervais also had a request. While he was in Garry's home, could they also shoot his Channel 4 show? Shandling agreed, and all was well until the day of the dueling interviews, when wires got crossed. Garry says he assumed they would shoot the "visit" for the DVD extra first, because "that laid-back, not-on tone is good preparation for saying, 'Let's turn it on'" later, for Gervais's special.

But when Shandling walked into his kitchen, he realized instantly that Gervais thought the Channel 4 special was being shot first. Gervais was on—extremely so—and so were several cameras. Garry could have said something but wanted to see what would happen if he played it out. What if he stayed in the same low-affect head space he was in to do his DVD extras? Could he reach Gervais without explicitly identifying the problem? Could he bring Gervais's energy level down?

"It's fascinating, really," Garry tells me. "We both became locked into the shows we were each doing, and it became a bit of a boxing match. Because he's trying to get me to do the show that he needs, and I'm trying to get him to do nothing. I was trying to pull Ricky into the moment."

A great boxer makes his opponent fight his fight, on his terms. A great stand-up takes control of a room. There's a reason comics say their best shows "killed." Making people laugh is, at its simplest, an act of domination. And Shandling dominated Gervais. I tell Garry their interaction looks more hostile than he will admit. He offers me an organic-turkey sandwich. "A lot of funny people have a way of looking at life and commenting on it," he says. "Now, there's another leap to take, which is: Are those funny people actually integrating their life into their work? I still search for ways to put it. It's living art. I see it as living life as an art. And part of that's the comedy, and part of that's the acting, and part of that's the basketball, and part of that's the boxing."

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2022, 10:38:15 PMAlso, remember that the context of this particular episode is they've just failed to do well in the radio awards and they're 'trying' to ascertain what could be wrong with their content whilst being 'inadvertently' shit or inappropriate.  It's a running gag throughout.

It is. But as I say, if it's possible to time a (faux) angry silence to perfection on radio, Merchant does it there. It's great.