Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:08:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'Whores : A New Hope

Started by non capisco, May 01, 2021, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on May 02, 2022, 09:51:46 AMEven worse I heard Jo Wiley play some Sigur Rós on her Momsnet BBC Radio 2 evening show and it fitted right in.

It's MUMSNET ffs.

SteveDave

I'm going to see The Lazy Eyes play at Omeara this month on my own. Up until this moment, I had no idea where Omeara is.  It's apparently a venue owned by one of Mumford and Sons, but not the racist one.

Kankurette

dr beat

Saw Confidence Man last night.  Did they mime? Maybe.  Did it matter? No.

Neville Chamberlain

Black Midi, finabloodylly, next Monday, right here in Berlin.

Anyone seen them on their tour so far?!?

The Mollusk

I feel like it wasn't long ago that I saw them but knowing how time has now become a skewed dreamlike arthouse film set piece it was probably like a year ago. Either way it was for the new album and it was astonishing.

Kankurette

I'm going to see Joe Jackson in a couple of months as well.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Kankurette on May 03, 2022, 10:12:15 AM15 years is a long time between Tool gigs. Worth the wait, even if the awkward bastards didn't play the obvious ones like Schism, Stinkfist etc. we did get Hooker with a Penis though. Danny Carey was the highlight. He even got a solo slot.

We got Ticks & Leeches at the O2 last night rather than HWAP - Danny is ridiculously good, isn't he? It was a great set, I was fuckin made up to see them play Pushit and The Grudge live.

lankyguy95

^ I was there too. Half a really good gig, half Fear Inoculum material.

That sounds a bit shitty but the performances were tight, Maynard's voice sounded great, the sound mix filled a huge arena really well, beautiful lighting, some nicely projected visuals (even if their imagery has a very dated look) and the video/photo ban definitely made it easier to focus. And yet almost half of the set sucked the life out of me. Feels a bit entitled to write that but those songs are so boring and unappealing. I was really drifting during Descending until that ultra loud gong hit from Danny about ten minutes into it.

But yeah, Opiate, Pushit, The Grudge, Ticks and Leeches...that was really cool.

JaDanketies

Saw Rebecca Black last night!

Pauline Walnuts

So did I.

JaDanketies

earl_sleek

Quote from: lankyguy95 on May 10, 2022, 05:04:56 PM^ I was there too. Half a really good gig, half Fear Inoculum material.

That sounds a bit shitty but the performances were tight, Maynard's voice sounded great, the sound mix filled a huge arena really well, beautiful lighting, some nicely projected visuals (even if their imagery has a very dated look) and the video/photo ban definitely made it easier to focus. And yet almost half of the set sucked the life out of me. Feels a bit entitled to write that but those songs are so boring and unappealing. I was really drifting during Descending until that ultra loud gong hit from Danny about ten minutes into it.

But yeah, Opiate, Pushit, The Grudge, Ticks and Leeches...that was really cool.

I like Fear Inoculum so all that was fine with me - but yeah, if you're not into it then half a gig of it is gonna drag a bit. I saw them in Prague in 2019 and that was almost a greatest hits set, FI wasn't out at that point so the only songs from it were Descending and Invincible.

Apparently Maynard has food poisoning so we were lucky to get such a good performance from him (probably why he mentioned nearly shitting himself).

Kankurette

Quote from: earl_sleek on May 10, 2022, 03:54:57 PMWe got Ticks & Leeches at the O2 last night rather than HWAP - Danny is ridiculously good, isn't he? It was a great set, I was fuckin made up to see them play Pushit and The Grudge live.
Yes, he is. I prefer Hooker with a Penis to Ticks & Leeches but yeah, The Grudge, Opiate and Pushit are all great. And I had trouble focusing during Descending as well with my terrible attention span, at least Danny bashing the gong woke me up a bit. I think there were a few people going off for a tactical wee during that song.

I don't hate Fear Inoculum, or 10,000 Days (I was made up we got The Pot!), but agreed that the classics are the best. I was mainly there for the Aenima and Lateralus stuff.

Famous Mortimer

Going to see Afghan Whigs on Friday!

I've seen Greg Dulli solo, the Twilight Singers and the Gutter Twins, but never the big lads. I've loved them since "Gentlemen" came out, and their recent stuff is brilliant too, so it should be a great show.

Saw The Divine Comedy on Saturday - great fun; Our Mutual Friend really is spectacular

Famous Mortimer

Afghan Whigs were fucking great. Played almost all my favourites (no "Honky's Ladder", "Debonair" or "Blame etc.", but that would have turned it into a greatest hits show) and the new stuff was great too.

Do I go to see Yngwie Malmsteen this week, who's playing within a short walk of my house for $30? And then George Clinton with Parliament / Funkadelic is playing a giant tent fairly close in July. Do I risk almost certain heatstroke to see Mr Clinton? Also, there's a decent chance of him having Fishbone as support, which would be an incredible show.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 23, 2022, 03:21:53 PMDo I go to see Yngwie Malmsteen this week, who's playing within a short walk of my house for $30?

I saw Wingwee at a festival years ago and at times he was fucking hilarious. My favourite part was when he did a flamboyant leg kick while adjusting his Marshall stack (the only actual one in the dummy wall of Marshall stacks that he had in a line on the stage).

Musically he was dogshit of course

Bently Sheds

I took Mrs Sheds to see Duran Duran at Leicester O2 yesterday. She's been a fan since Planet Earth and this was the first time she's had the wherewithal to see them live, so it was a pretty big deal for her.

They did a selection of hits and stuff off the latest album, at one point bizarrely segueing into a cover of Calvin Harris' "It Was Acceptable In The 80s" They looked like they were having a good time, Simon LeBon worked the crowd well & hit all the high notes admirably. It was pretty much what you'd expect to see from a band that's been doing this stuff for 40 years.

A Duran Duran gig is a strange thing. Mostly women of a certain age, height and hairstyle, in a group or accompanied by a bloke wearing a Sex Pistols/King Crimson/PWEI t-shirt as if to say "Yeah, I'm into proper bands, I'm just here for the missus, like. I mean Duran Duran ain't a proper band are they?"

The Leicester Uni students walking past us all in the queue must have had a chuckle at all the sad oldies waiting to see some band their grandparents liked.

jobotic

Saw a friend's band at a pub on Saturday. Was a mixed bill of bands that were unknown to each other.

The second lot on were three blokes of about nineteen. They did a set of Free style early seventies hard rock. Not metal, rock. They looked like they were loving it even though no one was really watching.

Really not my cup of tea but I loved that they all had this passion for such an unfashionable genre. That apparently they're mates didn't share.

Could have taken a photo through the window and apart from the lack of fag smoke would have been just like a photo from fifty years ago.

Kankurette

Cave In coming up in a few months. I'm not a huge fan but I've been listening to Jupiter a fair bit recently and the buggers almost never tour, so why not. Also liking the new stuff.

non capisco

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 23, 2022, 03:21:53 PMAfghan Whigs were fucking great. Played almost all my favourites (no "Honky's Ladder", "Debonair" or "Blame etc.", but that would have turned it into a greatest hits show) and the new stuff was great too.

Nice one. Saw they're playing a Saturday night show in Brighton in a couple of months so snapped up a ticket.

axel2019

Thinking of going to see Bob Mould solo next mont. He is now doing some Husker Du songs, as well as a career-spanning set.
Only worry is that i havent seen him 'on his own' before, only with a backing band. Anyone comment if he is usually any good at thi styoe of thing? :-)

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Bently Sheds on May 23, 2022, 10:32:06 PMI took Mrs Sheds to see Duran Duran at Leicester O2 yesterday.

A Duran Duran gig is a strange thing. Mostly women of a certain age, height and hairstyle, in a group or accompanied by a bloke wearing a Sex Pistols/King Crimson/PWEI t-shirt as if to say "Yeah, I'm into proper bands, I'm just here for the missus, like. I mean Duran Duran ain't a proper band are they?"

What T-shirt were you wearing?

Please be a Wham! one.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on May 25, 2022, 06:21:56 PMWhat T-shirt were you wearing?

Please be a Wham! one.

George by Asda.

Pauline Walnuts

Calistan

Quote from: axel2019 on May 24, 2022, 10:17:39 AMThinking of going to see Bob Mould solo next mont. He is now doing some Husker Du songs, as well as a career-spanning set.
Only worry is that i havent seen him 'on his own' before, only with a backing band. Anyone comment if he is usually any good at thi styoe of thing? :-)

I'm wondering this too. Haven't bought tickets yet but will likely go. Years ago when I was 18 or 19 I took three buses to see him in Cork. Well worth the 11 hours travel but that was Mould with a band (and what a band - plenty of Husker and Sugar songs). Also flew to see him in Belgium. I'm a bit worried that for every song he'll do that thing where he hums the melody in order to fill the vacuum his band would otherwise fill.

Haven't paid much attention to the last couple of albums really as they were all very same-y. Beauty & Ruin and Silver Age were very good and had great moments like The Descent and Mr Grey but I can't really remember anything off the last one.

Spiteface

Going to see Ash in September. 21st anniversary tour for Free All Angels, which means Charlotte Hatherley will be with them on this one.

The 10th anniversary tour was great, and honestly, they need to have a 2nd guitarist again. That tour and the one the previous year with Russell Lissack from Bloc Party were really good.

Looking forward to it anyway.

iamcoop

I saw Fat White Family at Belgrave Music Hall in Leeds last night.

If Lias Saoudi isn't the best frontman in music at the moment he's got to be close.

As I've mentioned before, on record they leave me largely unmoved but as a live act they're up there as the best I've ever seen. Frighteningly intense. 

jobotic

Should I go and see "Flipper" with Mike Watt?