Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Menu on June 04, 2022, 01:00:55 AMOooh do you remember what happens in the next bit?

Full episode is here:

The Guppy

I'd love to fire a white-hot ball bearing* into that mouth.

*Not a euphemism.

but I'd spunk in it if that was my only option.

Replies From View

Quote from: neardark on June 04, 2022, 12:03:14 PM

Either the title of that video is consciously clickbaity, or a purported fan of the Gervais/Merchant radio show doesn't understand the very concept of two people raising their voices and having a pretend row about something unimportant for comic effect.

The comical aspect is Merchant slamming the brakes on his 'anger' in order to calmly spell "REM' and 'superwoman'.  Something you wouldn't do if having a real argument.  And that's it.

neardark

Quote from: Replies From View on June 04, 2022, 12:37:51 PMEither the title of that video is consciously clickbaity, or a purported fan of the Gervais/Merchant radio show doesn't understand the very concept of two people raising their voices and having a pretend row about something unimportant for comic effect.

The comical aspect is Merchant slamming the brakes on his 'anger' in order to calmly spell "REM' and 'superwoman'.  Something you wouldn't do if having a real argument.  And that's it.

Nah, sounds real to me.

neardark

It can't be real because he calmly spells out the letters...

No one's seen that video of that BBC geezer screaming at the scientologist then

Dr Rock

The only times he gets genuinely furious is when Karl owes him 15p.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Of course it's not bloody real. They're comedians having a pretend argument for the purposes of entertainment.

The whole thing, all one and a half minutes of it, is based on a deiberately trivial and muddled bone of contention. They're angrily falling out over something that doesn't matter, that's the point.

R.E.M. covered a song called Superman by '60s bubblegum group The Clique. Merchant insists that R.E.M's version was retitled Superwoman. It wasn't, and Merchant presumably knows that. But he clings on to this assertion because it's sometimes funny to be steadfastly wrong on purpose.

And from thence the humour arises.

aunt mildred

Quote from: Replies From View on June 04, 2022, 12:37:51 PMEither the title of that video is consciously clickbaity, or a purported fan of the Gervais/Merchant radio show doesn't understand the very concept of two people raising their voices and having a pretend row about something unimportant for comic effect.

But they both look so dreamy there, with their shades and designer stubble.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Stephen Merchant is fully aware that R.E.M. didn't change the title to Superwoman.

Sounds like here hehe 😌

The Bumlord

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 04, 2022, 05:55:27 PMThe only times he gets genuinely furious is when Karl owes him 15p.

It was 50p to be fair to him.

Article just come out wherein Stephen Merchant says there's no beef between him and Gervais, they're not estranged and he states that Ricky makes bolder comedy than he...look forward to the comments saying he must be lying 😄

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/stephen-merchant-interview-outlaws-ricky-gervais-b2088205.html

Although tbf the part concerning a recent Tweet he made wherein he called shows that have a bit where someone watches videos of a departed relative or friend to convey they miss them the lowest form of storytelling, and then insists it wasn't a dig at Afterlife does seem a bit hard to believe 😄 surely even if he hasn't seen it he'd at least have a vague idea of the premise/content?

Menu

That's quite funny. I wish they'd stuck to doing radio.

Menu

Quote from: Replies From View on June 04, 2022, 09:18:43 AMFull episode is here:

Could you just tell me? I've got to get up in the morning. Although I assume they're getting along fine after the song otherwise you would have said so. I do enjoy their shows though - there's a parallel universe where they took over from Adam and Joe in about 2010 and everyone on here still loves Ricky Gervais.

Cold Meat Platter

He's hired 10 security guards according to the Mirror. 10. Cunt thinks he's the President of the USA.

"Comic Ricky Gervais has hired bodyguards for stand-up gigs after being accused of poking fun at transgender people in a TV show.

The star caused uproar with comments made in Netflix one-off special Supernature last week.

Now Gervais, 59, has recruited 10 security staff given their first outing at a low-key warm-up appearance this week for a potential series of gigs.

A source said he couldn't "take any chances" following a stage attack on US comic Dave Chapelle, 48, last month at the Hollywood Bowl after his own Netflix special last year was accused of being transphobic."

What a load of bollocks.

QDRPHNC

Hahahaha what a fucking lame-o

Twonty Gostelow

"A source said he couldn't 'take any chances' following a stage attack on US comic Dave Chapelle, 48, last month at the Hollywood Bowl after his own Netflix special last year was accused of being transphobic thread on a forum for failed comedy writers."

Ferris

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 05, 2022, 12:40:09 AMHe's hired 10 security guards according to the Mirror. 10. Cunt thinks he's the President of the USA.

"Comic Ricky Gervais has hired bodyguards for stand-up gigs after being accused of poking fun at transgender people in a TV show.

The star caused uproar with comments made in Netflix one-off special Supernature last week.

Now Gervais, 59, has recruited 10 security staff given their first outing at a low-key warm-up appearance this week for a potential series of gigs.

A source said he couldn't "take any chances" following a stage attack on US comic Dave Chapelle, 48, last month at the Hollywood Bowl after his own Netflix special last year was accused of being transphobic."

What a load of bollocks.

Why is he listed as 59 there, when he's 60 (and will be 61 in 3 weeks time)?

Cold Meat Platter

QDRPHNC

He's just another right wing cunt these days, isn't he? Bullies people while claiming to be bullied. Fuck Richard Gervais.

The Bumlord

He's doing the cool look again.

Ironically I'm sure.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Ferris on June 05, 2022, 01:57:04 AMWhy is he listed as 59 there, when he's 60 (and will be 61 in 3 weeks time)?

Bet he rang up and said "put late 50s".

chip

Replies From View

Is this really what Gervais wanted?

Funnily enough I can see Stewart Lee devising a show that examines the narratives that Gervais is now following/initiating, but somehow feel that Gervais himself will be too much of a coward to speak against the right-wing mob now defending him.

From Gervais it'll be:  "Yeah that's what I said, it's what I predicted - all 'boo hoo' from the transgendereds" rather than "Actually I wasn't saying all the right-wing fucks are right.  You've misunderstood my irony as well, so get back in your box".

"Irony being misunderstood" (psst:  it's not actually irony) is only an "issue" when it's people complaining about him on Twitter.  Not when the "misunderstandings" are feeding into him being a millionaire.