Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
10 body guards? Oh no, if anything his act is going to get more fearless and confrontational!
It's not looking good for us snowflakes.

idunnosomename

I hope they all beat up the cunt

Bronzy

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 05, 2022, 02:03:42 AMInteresting

Only a certain type of man can successfully pull off a black velvet jacket.

Ricky Gervais is not that type of man.

Cuellar

frajer

He looks like he's about to pull the correct playing card from behind the photographer's ear.

Dickie_Anders

Fucking hell he looks sexy there, and doesn't he know it

Blue Jam

Quote from: frajer on June 05, 2022, 12:45:49 PMHe looks like he's about to pull the correct playing card from behind the photographer's ear.

Yes, that's doing a velvet jacket wrong. If you look like The Doctor you're doing it right.

Ferris

Who was Derek offending (to the point of necessitating armed security)? Is there a militant wing of the Carehome Worker's Union?

BritishHobo

Fat bankers and people who want to steal from their Alzheimers nans

jobotic

If he really wants to feel safe he should hire security guards who identify as attack helicopters!!!!rofl!!!

Who said that? Oops, I'm getting cancelled....

Langdale

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 04, 2022, 06:22:51 PMR.E.M. covered a song called Superman by '60s bubblegum group The Clique. Merchant insists that R.E.M's version was retitled Superwoman. It wasn't, and Merchant presumably knows that. But he clings on to this assertion because it's sometimes funny to be steadfastly wrong on purpose.

And from thence the humour arises.
Ah, I think the title printed on the CD said 'Superwoman' but it was 'Superman' everywhere else on the packaging.

(If anyone has made a duller first post on this site I'd be fascinated to know. Hi, by the way. Stay tuned for more of this A1 content)

Thosworth

Chalk me up for the 'Superwoman' bit being a performance, but the 'pick on an invalid' and punch clips being genuine.

I listened to all the radio shows and podcasts as they first came out, and one thing that became crystal clear was that you never, ever insulted Steve. Richard Herring even now still refers to his interview with Merchant as one of his worst* podcasts, after he mildly criticised Extras series 2.

However, Merchant seems to be fine making fun of himself/playing the awkward loser; cf. 'Hello Ladies'.

*High bar, amiright folks?!?

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Thosworth on June 05, 2022, 02:43:56 PMChalk me up for the 'Superwoman' bit being a performance, but the 'pick on an invalid' and punch clips being genuine.

I listened to all the radio shows and podcasts as they first came out, and one thing that became crystal clear was that you never, ever insulted Steve. Richard Herring even now still refers to his interview with Merchant as one of his worst* podcasts, after he mildly criticised Extras series 2.

However, Merchant seems to be fine making fun of himself/playing the awkward loser; cf. 'Hello Ladies'.

*High bar, amiright folks?!?

I remember an awkward bit where herring says "you're better at comedy than Ricky Gervais aren't you?" And merchant says "no". It was herring being a bit shit as much as Merchant being humorless imo.

Just rewatching that ep now and Herring's stand up / audience latter was so shite. Just charmless bullying with no genuine wit. That seems to be his whole style. Say something nasty but do a giggle at the same time so it's all okay.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Thosworth on June 05, 2022, 02:43:56 PMone thing that became crystal clear was that you never, ever insulted Steve

Karl did about 50 times, as did Ricky. What are you talking about?

Thosworth

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 05, 2022, 03:04:57 PMKarl did about 50 times, as did Ricky. What are you talking about?

I mean it was 20 years ago, but I'm pretty sure there was a definite line they clearly weren't to cross. If I'm misremembering, I'll fully accept I'm wrong - I could re-listen to the whole lot, but my ever expanding pile of media I absolutely have to get round to means it's unlikely.

willbo

they weren't allowed to 'ave a go at the eyes, cause that is a stigmatism he had since the age of 7.

The Bumlord

Verging on two hours of insults here.

Different insults for different...needs.

neveragain

Quote from: willbo on June 05, 2022, 06:59:22 PMthey weren't allowed to 'ave a go at the eyes, cause that is a stigmatism he had since the age of 7.

But Ash Atalla's disability was perfectly fine?
Edit: They did actually mention Merchant's eyes on The Office and maybe that's what you were quoting.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: neveragain on June 05, 2022, 07:34:31 PMBut Ash Atalla's disability was perfectly fine?
Edit: They did actually mention Merchant's eyes on The Office and maybe that's what you were quoting.

It is a quote from The Office:

Thosworth

Quote from: The Bumlord on June 05, 2022, 07:32:59 PMVerging on two hours of insults here.

Different insults for different...needs.

I stand fully corrected and withdraw my claims.

Barry Admin

Wow, ran the gamut of emotions there. Got all excited to see Gareth bounding about and shared his happiness, enjoyed the rest, but Tim giving another look to camera at the end just made me sigh.  I think it really underlined how limited and repetitive Gervais' shtick is, and how he hasn't developed or stretched himself at all in the last 20 years. 

Edit: to be fair, I can't even be bothered to watch that thing with the dead wife, but it does seem it's at least a bit different in format.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 05, 2022, 12:39:52 PMOnly a certain type of man can successfully pull off a black velvet jacket.

Ricky Gervais is not that type of man.

Makes him look like a cruise ship magician who drives a Saab

checkoutgirl

Quote from: willbo on June 05, 2022, 06:59:22 PMthey weren't allowed to 'ave a go at the eyes

That was 50% of what they had a go about.

willbo

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 05, 2022, 10:18:16 PMThat was 50% of what they had a go about.

you can't say that on the radio though! How did they get away with it?

TommyTurnips

Quote from: willbo on June 05, 2022, 11:25:44 PMyou can't say that on the radio though! How did they get away with it?

Tin pot radio station.

Menu

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 05, 2022, 07:41:33 PMIt is a quote from The Office:

Gareth looks destroyed during that awkward exchange. Like his mum and dad are fighting.

Dawn looks lovely.

Tim looks fucked.

Menu

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 05, 2022, 07:56:20 PMWow, ran the gamut of emotions there. Got all excited to see Gareth bounding about and shared his happiness, enjoyed the rest, but Tim giving another look to camera at the end just made me sigh.  I think it really underlined how limited and repetitive Gervais' shtick is, and how he hasn't developed or stretched himself at all in the last 20 years. 

Come on, that's a good scene. Just because Gervais is shit now, doesn't mean he was shit then.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Menu on June 06, 2022, 02:01:58 AMCome on, that's a good scene. Just because Gervais is shit now, doesn't mean he was shit then.

I said I mostly enjoyed it, or meant that. It just reminded me at the end how he couldn't do anything good after it.

Menu

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 06, 2022, 02:25:07 AMI said I mostly enjoyed it, or meant that. It just reminded me at the end how he couldn't do anything good after it.

I agree with that. Became hackneyed very quickly.