Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A serial lawbreaking liar - Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson scandal thread 2

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 19, 2022, 01:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Seems a bit weird to accuse someone of personal ambition in politics when youre defending Boris cunting Johnson

Fambo Number Mive

Farage says that the Tories will face another 1997 if they keep Johnson. Is his plan to blame Johnson for the lack of benefits seen following Brexit?

audiocreator

Alberon

Interesting comparison from a Daily Heil journalist.

QuoteJohn Stevens, the Daily Mail journalist who has been keeping a tally of the Conservative MPs saying that they will back Boris Johnson in the vote tonight, has just told Radio 4's World at One that when he conducted a similar exercise on the day of the no confidence vote in Theresa May, by lunchtime she had already received enough public endorsements to be confident of victory.

But Johnson is nowhere near that point, Stevens said. Johnson needs at least 180 votes to be confident of winning. At the moment he is just at the half way point, according to Stevens' count.

BritishHobo

His Twitter thread is here, collating statements from all MPs stating they'll vote for Johnson:

https://mobile.twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1533713196414124033

As above, the number is up to 90 as of half an hour ago. I suppose there's every chance some of them might be lying because it's a secret ballot, but there's my desperate optimism again.

Fambo Number Mive

I hope Labour are screenshotting Tory MPs saying they will vote for Johnson so they can use this at the next election.

BritishHobo

Mention of Johnson intending to call a General Election if he loses...

https://mobile.twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1533788081052012544

From reading around, it sounds like this is more of a threat to get the mythical Red Wall Tories in line - "vote for me or there'll be another election in which you'll definitely lose your seat" - than it is an actual intention.

I fucking love a General Election me, so I say bring it on. Have them every six months.

Fambo Number Mive

If he loses the confidence vote, can he still fight the next election?

greencalx

Quote from: Alberon on June 06, 2022, 01:53:47 PMInteresting comparison from a Daily Heil journalist.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a shy Johnson effect. With May it was less about her moral character, more about the impossibility of reconciling the division within her party around Brexit. By publicly supporting Johnson, you're potentially also making a statement about your own morality, which I suspect some Tories will be keen to avoid. They could, however, be perfectly happy to put their cross in his box, on the grounds that he has form in shaking these things off, and charismatic leaders tend to win elections...

I suspect those 90 supporters are a massive under-estimate.

BritishHobo

Christ it's the Groundhog Day of Theresa May Brexit bill/no-confidence votes all over again. A man can't take this much hope followed by inevitable disappointment.

BritishHobo

Eight more MPs have come out for Johnson in the last ten minutes. Definitely be more. Wrexham's beloved MP Sarah Atherton hasn't confirmed yet, but she's pretty shamelessly toed the line so far in her time in office, so doubtless she'll be voting for him.

jobotic

Fambo Number Mive

Surprised more of the rebels didn't postdate their letters until after the Wakefield byelection.

Das Reboot

There's going to be some batshit insane red meat policies being leaked in time for tomorrow's papers.

Fambo Number Mive

Wonder if they'll float bringing back the death penalty, black and white television and returning to pre decimal currency.

"Colour television is woke, British people want to watch their favourite programs in black and white. If it was good enough for Winston Churchill, it's good enough for everyone else".

Maybe they'll call for the scrapping of DBS checks in schools to win the paedo vote.

Mr_Simnock

He will very likely be gone soon even if he wins, if he tries to carry on it only gets worse for the tories

Theresa May - Won vote of no confidence, resigned 6 months later

Turd duncan smith - Lost vote of no confidence

John  Major - won no confidence vote, got absolutely hammered in 1997 election 2 years later

vile nasty peice of shit thatcher - won no confidence vote 1989, then lost the following one in 1990

Edward Heath - lost vote of no confidence

BritishHobo

We're up to 102 MPs now. I hate that this is a thing I can track now.

badaids

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 06, 2022, 02:02:59 PMMention of Johnson intending to call a General Election if he loses...

https://mobile.twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1533788081052012544

From reading around, it sounds like this is more of a threat to get the mythical Red Wall Tories in line - "vote for me or there'll be another election in which you'll definitely lose your seat" - than it is an actual intention.

I fucking love a General Election me, so I say bring it on. Have them every six months.

If he loses a confidence vote, he's not leader any more surely so how can he call an election. Sounds like blackmail before a vote he's scared of losing, no?

BritishHobo

Yeah, I wonder if it's been miscommunicated a bit as it's spread to journalists. That he's not saying he will call one, he's saying one will happen if he goes, as an inevitability.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 06, 2022, 02:20:29 PMWonder if they'll float bringing back the death penalty, black and white television and returning to pre decimal currency.

"Colour television is woke, British people want to watch their favourite programs in black and white. If it was good enough for Winston Churchill, it's good enough for everyone else".

Maybe they'll call for the scrapping of DBS checks in schools to win the paedo vote.

You can still get a 1/3 price b/w TV licence

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/media-centre/news/black-and-white-tv-still-going-strong-NEWS22

That press release is from 2009 so I imagine a lot of the mad old people in the stats have finally died or at least gone in a home. Also the analogue turn off 2012/3 mustve dropped them a bit since youd need to buy a converter to watch anything on them

Oh here we go. Just over 7k in 2018. Drop of over 20k in the decade
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/media-centre/news/view.app?id=1369785628266

Captain Z

If you think tonight will end in anything other than a comfortable-ish victory for Johnson that can be swept under the carpet and forgotten about, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Captain Z on June 06, 2022, 02:34:44 PMIf you think tonight will end in anything other than a comfortable-ish victory for Johnson that can be swept under the carpet and forgotten about, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

bless

JamesTC

Hope Boris beats all those commies or whoever he is fighting at the moment.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: jobotic on June 06, 2022, 02:41:58 PMBless?

Why? What do you think will happen?

Win or lose he's in trouble, no one does well out of them, why do you think they have called the vote? I hope he wins, will be far more damaging for them the longer he stays. Some people here don't seem to get it, these things are the political equivalent of getting your first letter of eviction when your in debt for £100,000 and you haven't payed your rent for a year plus severely damaged the property, your fucking going wether you like it or not.

TrenterPercenter

Just stuck a fiver on 150-199 against - really tempted for the 200-250 at 9/1.

Hard to read but having only 90 MPs thus far declaring support (and not all of them will be telling the truth).  Of course could blow the other way in that there is a shy Johnson vote I suppose.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Captain Z on June 06, 2022, 02:34:44 PMIf you think tonight will end in anything other than a comfortable-ish victory for Johnson that can be swept under the carpet and forgotten about, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I would have agreed with you when I started the day at 6am but as the day has gone on it is getting worse and worse for Johnson.

DrGreggles

I don't think there's a chance he won't win, it's all about the numbers against.
If it's 60/70 he'll live on for the time being, but 100+ means he's a dead man walking.
Either way, it's now a case of when he goes rather than if.

Fambo Number Mive