Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:52:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A serial lawbreaking liar - Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson scandal thread 2

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 19, 2022, 01:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Zero Gravitas

So many brave and well informed predictions about the demise of the ghost of HIGNFY past, I'll believe it when I see it.

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 06, 2022, 02:52:12 PMI predict he will get 230 of the 359 Tory MPs voting for him.

Sounds about right

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on June 06, 2022, 02:54:19 PMSo many brave and well informed predictions about the demise of the ghost of HIGNFY past, I'll believe it when I see it.

Quite

Das Reboot

Andrew 'Plebgate' Mitchell has waded in to say "Johnson has lost the dressing room and support in the stands".

Followed that up with "the cabinet are lacking quality in the final third, Clive"

BritishHobo

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on June 06, 2022, 02:54:19 PMSo many brave and well informed predictions about the demise of the ghost of HIGNFY past, I'll believe it when I see it.

jobotic

Yeah very cutting but do you remember the votes on Brexit? No deal Brexit? Thisit and thaxit?

And look at what the result of it all was.

touchingcloth

It's a strange form of ego- and megalomania that seems to inform Johnson's desire to want to remain in power at all costs.

Of the limited number of areas in my personal and work lives where I have any sort of a leadership role, it wouldn't take more than about two people going "cloth, I'm not sure you're particularly cut out for this job" before I'd say they were probably right and ask who else wanted the gig.

We could literally see Johnson coming out with something like "only 48% of my colleagues have any confidence in my abilities at work". This question is entirely rhetorical of course, but doesn't he have any shame?

Alberon

I honestly believe if he wins by one he will shamble on.

At which point the Tories get destroyed at the by-elections and then the 1922 committee will change the rules to allow MPs to have another chance to get it right.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: jobotic on June 06, 2022, 03:08:31 PMYeah very cutting but do you remember the votes on Brexit? No deal Brexit? Thisit and thaxit?

And look at what the result of it all was.

Yes I do, and I know that that is not comparable.

No one is saying he will definitely go, this "brave and informed" snark is more twitter shite some of you seem personally deranged with, they are saying it is going to be closer than it sounded this morning or yesterday.  It's isn't about him going right away either it about him being bruised by it, he already has been just by the VONC being called anyway.  Perfectly fine to enjoy these moments.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Alberon on June 06, 2022, 03:17:17 PMI honestly believe if he wins by one he will shamble on.

I certainly hope so I don't want him to go, better for Labour if he stays but a high number of votes against and stumbling on is best of both worlds.

jobotic

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 06, 2022, 03:18:10 PMYes I do, and I know that that is not comparable.

No one is saying he will definitely go, this "brave and informed" snark is more twitter shite some of you seem personally deranged with, they are saying it is going to be closer than it sounded this morning or yesterday.  It's isn't about him going right away either it about him being bruised by it, he already has been just by the VONC being called anyway.  Perfectly fine to enjoy these moments.

Yeah fair enough but point of order - I'm not on Twitter and thanks to what they've done to it I can't even look at it properly now.

Alberon

Good sign here is that Dorries thinks he's safe.

QuoteNadine Dorries, the Culture Secretary, has said she is "not worried at all" about today's vote on Boris Johnson's leadership.

Asked if she is worried, Ms Dorries told Sky News: "No, I am not worried at all, in fact I would like to get this vote out of the way so that we can get on with focusing on the issues that really need to be focused on.

"Today Russia is firing rockets in Kyiv, we have got a global cost-of-living crisis because we can't get wheat out of Kyiv to the rest of the world.

"There are some really huge issues which the Prime Minister needs to focus on and we as a cabinet and Government do to. So this is a distraction, we want to get this out the way and then move on with the business of government tomorrow." 

Meanwhile the Torygraph is reporting that the rebels say they have over 150 MPs voting against the Prime Minister. Whether they believe that or just want to encourage more to jump ship is anyone's guess.

touchingcloth

"I could sit on the front benches masturbating like a gibbon and not lose voters"

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: jobotic on June 06, 2022, 03:20:32 PMYeah fair enough but point of order - I'm not on Twitter and thanks to what they've done to it I can't even look at it properly now.

Good, best to stay at arm lengths from it.  Enjoy Johnson not being able to sweep his behaviour under the carpet as easily as he wished.

BritishHobo

If Nadine Dorries said I had a head, I'd have to look in a mirror to believe it.

Alberon

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 06, 2022, 03:22:13 PM"I could sit on the front benches masturbating like a gibbon and not lose voters"

I think that might actually be true.

Now, that is.

Can't lose any more voters if you don't have any to start with.

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on June 06, 2022, 02:49:34 PMWin or lose he's in trouble, no one does well out of them, why do you think they have called the vote? I hope he wins, will be far more damaging for them the longer he stays. Some people here don't seem to get it, these things are the political equivalent of getting your first letter of eviction when your in debt for £100,000 and you haven't payed your rent for a year plus severely damaged the property, your fucking going wether you like it or not.

Yes. It may take a while and he'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming, but he's done in terms of being able to function as leader. Expect a lot of open rebellion now.

Rizla

Quick look at the bookies odds
cunt to lose no confidence vote - 4/1
cunt to win no confidence vote - 1/7

Go on Kennedy, put the cotswolds cottage on it you fucking idiot.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on June 06, 2022, 12:07:05 PMFrom The Torygraph who seem solidly against Johnson.

He just has to last to Wednesday and he beats Gordon Brown's time in office. Theresa May's record seems well out of reach for him.

Patrick Troughton once advised them that roughly three years is optimum for a Prime Minister.

BritishHobo

With just over 2 hours to go until the vote, they've reached 115 MPs.

jobotic

My MP won't say a word, but she'll dutifully go and vote for him.

BritishHobo

121 MPs publicly in favour, with Johnson just about to give a speech to backbenchers, so a load more probably about to come in.

The bizarre thing is that he's such an insincere, patronising man whenever he trots out his desperate guff that you know he doesn't even believe himself. You doubt that most of these adult politicians actually fall for his hollow, shiny platitudes. When they're all parroting the same stuff about him getting the big things right or whatever. Absolute shit.

jamiefairlie

Call me cynical (because I am) but this is just minor squabbling between which school bully gets their turn to wear the chief bully hat. If he goes, some other dick gets a go, if they lose the next election then the chief Labour dick gets to have a go but only if they stick firmly to the bully agenda.

It's nigh on half a century since a person who the media and the public would call left wing won a UK election. The post Thatcher consensus has now lasted longer than the post war consensus.

greencalx

It wouldn't surprise me if Johnson wrote a letter himself. Surviving the challenge lets him draw a line under the whole affair.

jobotic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: greencalx on June 06, 2022, 04:10:13 PMIt wouldn't surprise me if Johnson wrote a letter himself. Surviving the challenge lets him draw a line under the whole affair.

It doesn't though.  It means he survived and of course that will mean BULLISH but in reality he will have a collection of his own MPs that have taken moves against him he will have to DELIVER something tangible, which means doing something and doing something is always fraught with problems.  He doesn't actually possess the skills imo to to get himself out this it.  It doesn't matter what his echo chamber thinks it matters whether he can change public opinion and his strategy has always been to ride off being divisive but he needs to do something else now which he isn't equipped for.