Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:55:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A serial lawbreaking liar - Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson scandal thread 2

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 19, 2022, 01:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

His council homes sell off is his secret weapon mind but it's unlikely to be as effective as it was before for Thatcher and there is no real reason to keep him in place to do this (and of course there are serious costs to doing it).

Fambo Number Mive

greencalx

Fambo Number Mive

Daily Mail trying the "coalition of chaos" line again. They describe Starmar as "smug" and "smirking".

The paper didn't seem to have a problem with the Tory-Lib Dem coalition government though.

superthunderstingcar

Replies From View

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 07, 2022, 08:25:35 AMDaily Mail trying the "coalition of chaos" line again. They describe Starmar as "smug" and "smirking".

Well, to be fair on them, he kind of does look like a Tory that has been reconstructed out of stale farts.

Alberon

Here's the sensible candidate for the position of Tory Leader setting off to work.

Two watches? Is that so he doesn't have to waste time remembering which arm his watch is on?

jobotic

They must hate Patel with her perma-smirk, and Johnson when he smirked his way through Covid death updates.

Glebe

Quote from: Alberon on June 07, 2022, 09:04:25 AMHere's the sensible candidate for the position of Tory Leader setting off to work.

Two watches? Is that so he doesn't have to waste time remembering which arm his watch is on?

Jeremy 'Two Watches' Hunt.

Virgo76

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 07, 2022, 08:25:35 AMDaily Mail trying the "coalition of chaos" line again. They describe Starmar as "smug" and "smirking".

The paper didn't seem to have a problem with the Tory-Lib Dem coalition government though.

Or the Tory-DUP one.
And both ended up being pretty chaotic.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Alberon on June 07, 2022, 09:04:25 AMHere's the sensible candidate for the position of Tory Leader setting off to work.

Clearly his motto is 'Strava or it didn't happen'.

TrenterPercenter

Harry Badger

Yes, he is very much the Heseltine of this (without the charisma or guiding political philosophy). Yet still the bookies favourite at 7/2.

Tom Tugendhat second favourite at 5/1. Yet his name is never mentioned as a possible successor. What's going on there I wonder? Large stakes being placed by his mates in MI6?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Harry Badger on June 07, 2022, 09:55:51 AMYes, he is very much the Heseltine of this (without the charisma or guiding political philosophy). Yet still the bookies favourite at 7/2.

He's only the favourite until names get thrown into the ring. Pretty much any names.

Blinder Data

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 07, 2022, 09:50:19 AMHunt will not stand again.  He is just the stalking horse.

He will definitely stand, as he quite reasonably thinks he could do a better job than Johnson (even though he is himself an idiot). He won't win if he's put to the rabid Tory membership though.

Loads of people who have no chance (e.g. Tom Tugendhat) will stand. The next leader will almost certainly be a serving Cabinet minister. Wallace probably doesn't fancy it, Sunak has crashed and burned, Patel is dangerously incompetent, Morduant doesn't have the profile, Javid and Zahawi too rich and boring - which is why I think all roads lead to Truss...

Endicott

Why haven't you written off Truss for the same reason you dismissed Patel?

Harry Badger

My money (all £1 of it) is on Wallace as the John Major of this bunch. I did put money on Patel years ago as I thought 1) the Tories would love to have the first BAME prime minister and b) is insanely right-wing but that appears to have gone for a burton - she's currently 33/1.

I thought Truss too then I remembered she was actually a Remainer and that would surely rule her out. Mordaunt?

Current Betfair odds, for what they are worth:
7/2
Jeremy Hunt
5/1
Liz Truss
5/1 (was 4/1 yesterday)
Tom Tugendhat
5/1
Penny Mordaunt
15/2
Rishi Sunak
8/1
Ben Wallace
10/1
Nadhim Zahawi
16/1
Sajid Javid
20/1
Michael Gove
20/1
David Frost
25/1
Dominic Raab
33/1
Priti Patel
33/1
Tobias Ellwood
33/1
Steve Baker
33/1
Kwasi Kwarteng
40/1 bar those

Replies From View

About to cycle down a flight of stairs, with a closed door immediately behind him.

Replies From View

Mordaunt is a fantastic name, evoking moribund, maudlin and mouldiness all within one carapace.

gilbertharding

If Tugendhat goes for it and wins, he will be the second Prime Minister I've met.

gilbertharding

Same vibe:

TrenterPercenter

Stalking horses still "stand" but they are not doing it sincerely (I know they changed the rules so this doesn't mean they need stalking horses to precipitate a leadership challenge but in essence it remains the same as Hunt is showing).  He obviously won't win.....hence why he is the stalking horse.

Truss is popular with the membership but that is waning and there are questions about how she would perform in a contest.  Wallace is the new kid on the block here but Morduants lack of profile might well work in her favour as they need a unity candidate.  Note they need a unity candidate, they might not get it, the tory membership and selection process is quite volatile and they might well want to go for a non-unity candidate, perhaps even Johnson again - which leaves them stuck between their membership and the country.

TrenterPercenter

Ah just clocked that Wallace is a BALD, can't have a BALD as PM, thems the rules.

TrenterPercenter

It's really interesting how Johnson is tied to his delusional PR.  He needs to keep telling people "things are great" it's "GREAT, that we had a VONC" etc... because it washes with Brexit soundbites non-thinkers but for the rest of the people he needs to vote for him it just comes across as insulting and delusional.  His performance last night will have gone down very badly with a lot of his conservative voters.

Fambo Number Mive

Lee Anderson says there is a witch hunt against Johnson "led by the BBC, by the Labour Party...and the mainstream media" and says "come back to me in two years when he has delivered on his promises".

jobotic

Jumblegraws

Honestly thought that was Bodger from Bodger & Badger for a second there