Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stigdu

I really enjoyed The Office, but I do think it's a little over-rated. I liked the character of Keith very much.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Stigdu on June 07, 2022, 12:53:12 PMI really enjoyed The Office, but I do think it's a little over-rated. I liked the character of Keith very much.

Keith may be the least talked about aspect but it's absolutely a key to why it works.

"Here where it says to describe your skills, you've just put 'accounts'."

"Yeah."

Twilkes

I remember at the time Big Keith was one of the standout bit parts, after the main cast - the appraisal, the Scotch egg(s), "it's the end of the financial year, and spirits are in the sky", "good?"/"S'alright", just lots of little nuggets that stood out from the others, and he was maybe the only character who couldn't give a fuck about his job and never really tried to accommodate Brent.

Stigdu

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 02, 2022, 10:50:21 PMI'm the one who called you a troll, because you are.

Just catching up on some of the previous posts. Is there any particular reason you've decided to not be particularly accommodating to me? Have I offended you or something? It certainly wasn't my intention.

Dr Rock

Hey Stacylumps, are there any comedians you like who don't tell 'edgy' jokes? Everyone has their tastes, just wondrin.

Stigdu

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 07, 2022, 05:21:45 PMHey Stacylumps, are there any comedians you like who don't tell 'edgy' jokes? Everyone has their tastes, just wondrin.

Sure. I was raised on the classics by my dad, so still a big fan of Charlie Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy. Love Jim Carrey for films, Stew Francis, Stewart Lee for stand-up, Vic & Bob for TV.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ which name did you CaBers raise an eyebrow at in the above list?

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Stigdu on June 07, 2022, 06:30:20 PMSure. I was raised on the classics by my dad, so still a big fan of Charlie Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy. Love Jim Carrey for films, Stew Francis, Stewart Lee for stand-up, Vic & Bob for TV.

Any opinions on the Goodies?

Stigdu

Quote from: Jake Thingray on June 07, 2022, 09:49:43 PMAny opinions on the Goodies?

Sorry, I've not really seen much with them in. I might have watched one or two things but that would have been in the mid-80s and I don't remember anything of them. :)

Cold Meat Platter

"Mr. Spock?"
"Sir, we are being probed."

Martin Van Buren Stan

Ughhh just imagining his response to that

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 08, 2022, 03:27:54 PMUghhh just imagining his response to that

I'm imagining laughing at a weak joke he makes to show us just how unbothered he is.

Replies From View

That somewhat plays into his hands, no?  People who believe in an afterlife are not a minority group that's constantly bullied by the mainstream rightwing media.  It's not punching down to say you don't believe in ghosts.  In this instance, people emerging to make that complaint are feeding conformation bias and giving ammunition to those who wish not to be called bigoted for being transphobic.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 08, 2022, 03:56:02 PMI'm imagining laughing at a weak joke he makes to show us just how unbothered he is.
How can he be so sure there's no heaven when he hasn't even been there?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 07, 2022, 01:31:28 PMKeith may be the least talked about aspect but it's absolutely a key to why it works.

"Here where it says to describe your skills, you've just put 'accounts'."

"Yeah."

That whole scene is one of the few bits where Brent isn't trying to show off or compete with someone as well, Keith's half-arsing his appraisal because he doesn't seem to give a shit but Brent's being patient and giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Ferris

Ferris

His act can't really respond to audiences/media because he only does it 3 times at the millennium dome, films it for netflix, then calls it a day. If/when people point out it's shit, well doesn't matter the run's over now.

If he was on the circuit, he'd play 100+ shows a year so any tabloid attention could be incorporated same day. As it is, he has to (get a team of people to) write a new show to include his weak "hate crime" response line there.

Side note - does this mean he's embraced his new audience of daily mail/"political correctness has gone mad" types?

Smug look, back to lecturn, sip of beer.

Spudgun

I had a weird dream last night: I saw a Grange Hill DVD for sale, but for some reason the front cover was a close-up of Ricky Gervais as Derek, so I was wondering why the front cover of a Grange Hill DVD would have a close-up of Ricky Gervais as Derek on it, but then I looked a bit closer and actually it was a close-up of Zammo from the end of that episode where we find out he's a junkie. Not Ricky Gervais as Derek.

TELL ME WHAT IT MEANS, CaB.

kalowski

I can do, but you won't like it.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Spudgun on June 11, 2022, 09:53:38 PMI had a weird dream last night: I saw a Grange Hill DVD for sale, but for some reason the front cover was a close-up of Ricky Gervais as Derek, so I was wondering why the front cover of a Grange Hill DVD would have a close-up of Ricky Gervais as Derek on it, but then I looked a bit closer and actually it was a close-up of Zammo from the end of that episode where we find out he's a junkie. Not Ricky Gervais as Derek.

You've gone bananas.

TrenterPercenter

Just to say watched this Friday night, well when I say watched I mean put it on for 20 mins and then switched it off because of how utterly shit it was. 

Terrible, I mean before we even go into the hatefulness, it's just lazy, dull and terminally unfunny.  I thought there might be a bit of dark edginess that might rouse a giggle, but no, it's just him repeating rightwing view points like a goateed Piers Morgan trying his hand at stand up.

Tragic.

Cuellar

Quote from: Spudgun on June 11, 2022, 09:53:38 PMI had a weird dream last night: I saw a Grange Hill DVD for sale, but for some reason the front cover was a close-up of Ricky Gervais as Derek, so I was wondering why the front cover of a Grange Hill DVD would have a close-up of Ricky Gervais as Derek on it, but then I looked a bit closer and actually it was a close-up of Zammo from the end of that episode where we find out he's a junkie. Not Ricky Gervais as Derek.

I had a dream that Steve Bannon was sitting in my living room watching the new Gervais stand up and I just stood there loudly belittling the show and him for watching it and he just sat there stony faced, staring at the telly.

Later on a got on a bus and some of Steve Bannon's radicalised youths threatened me with a knife so he'd got his revenge I suppose.

somersetchris

Quote from: Ferris on June 09, 2022, 01:41:01 AMHis act can't really respond to audiences/media because he only does it 3 times at the millennium dome, films it for netflix, then calls it a day. If/when people point out it's shit, well doesn't matter the run's over now.

That's not quite true, when I saw him do Humanity at the Apollo he was doing a residency there for several weeks (presumably also doing other cities!) - although it is true with any Netflix / DVD that by the time it's seen in a recorded version, the show is at least a year or two old.

Also, Humanity was almost entirely made up of him settling his various Twitter beefs. I have no doubt that his next show will include a very long bit about the non-existent controversy over his Netflix special, during which he will compare himself to Dave Chappelle and how hard done by they both are.

Has there really been any controversy though? He's tried to stir it up himself by saying 'ooh I bet I'll get cancelled for this' at the exact same time as counting the money Netflix are giving him. The people who like him lapped that shit up, and the people who don't like him don't watch it. Did anything actually change?

Ferris

That's kind of my point - he's not on the circuit doing 150 shows a year so if he wants to respond to the controversy of his Netflix special (that he drummed up himself for PR), he has to get an entirely new show written and produced because his short runs are already finished.

I was exaggerating how few live shows he does for a laugh, but not by much.