Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:13:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

David Lynch leaves thread inspired.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Ferris on June 14, 2022, 08:50:56 PMThat's kind of my point - he's not on the circuit doing 150 shows a year so if he wants to respond to the controversy of his Netflix special (that he drummed up himself for PR), he has to get an entirely new show written and produced because his short runs are already finished.

I was exaggerating how few live shows he does for a laugh, but not by much.

Very early in my stand-up appreciation days, I saw him do Science live about a year before the DVD came out. The DVD was exactly the same. I know this isn't a problem exclusive to Gervais, but with all the apparent ad-libs and responding to the audience reactions, it did somewhat ruin the magic for a nascent stand-up fan - not to mention making me feel cheated for having spent 40 odd quid on a ticket to see the same thing from the nosebleeds (this was the Hammersmith Apollo, one of the worst places to watch stand-up in general). I imagine he just writes a script and goes with it, knowing his audience will always play along, but it's a bit like playing a video game when you're overleveled and know all the glitches.

Of course, I feel incredibly spoiled now to have seen people like Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, pre-doom Louis CK and Doug Stanhope practicing new material at the comedy clubs here, and then comparing that with what they settle on when they finally release it officially. I wish the UK had a similar scene - there are so many great comics there, but it's so much more rigid and theatrical. I know some comics do "work in progress" type shows, but even they're actual "events" which sell out quickly and have a bit of an audience expectation as opposed to, say, Bill Burr dropping in unexpectedly to try 15 minutes in between a couple of no-namers - and sometimes fucking up. I think it's important to see that, too.

The closest I got was perhaps seeing Jerry Sadowitz in various pub lofts and theater cellars, but that's partly because you know you'll never see that show again. I was at one of the shows he filmed for a DVD at the Leicester Square Theater (Mother's Day 2011, I believe), but it predictably never saw the light of day.

Sorry ... Ricky Gervais, you say? That mumbled quote from Chris Rock during the embarrassing "Talking Funny" thing summed up his stand-up career perfectly: "You already had an audience".

Replies From View

YouTube algorithm gave me this today:

turnstyle

Had a mate look after my kids the other week whilst me and my wife enjoyed a rare night out.

Came home to discover that he had watched the new Gervais thing on MY Netflix account. FUCKING HELL, no doubt that's fucked my algorithm and I'll be recommended Gervais content up to the point they roll me into a coffin.

HEY TURNSTYLE, DO YOU FANCY WATCHING DEREK?

I'll be honest, I'd have been happier to return home that night to find out he'd done my kids in or summat.

Anything but sully my algo.

He sullied me fucking algo!

Blue Jam

Just give it a thumbs down/"not for me", job's a good 'un.

Replies From View

The Guppy

You can remove things from your viewing history on the Neflix website, if you'd rather do that. But a thumbs down probably does more good.

Des Wigwam

I'd ring Netflix and explain what's happened.

Stigdu

Or just watch a load of Tig Notaro specials to balance out the algo.

Pink Gregory

Replies From View

Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be mostly sure, mostly.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: turnstyle on June 22, 2022, 01:33:18 PMHad a mate look after my kids the other week whilst me and my wife enjoyed a rare night out.

Came home to discover that he had watched the new Gervais thing on MY Netflix account. FUCKING HELL, no doubt that's fucked my algorithm and I'll be recommended Gervais content up to the point they roll me into a coffin.

HEY TURNSTYLE, DO YOU FANCY WATCHING DEREK?

I'll be honest, I'd have been happier to return home that night to find out he'd done my kids in or summat.

Anything but sully my algo.

He sullied me fucking algo!

Hope you like comedy speacials where some out of shape white bloke has caution tape around his mouth on the front cover

turnstyle

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 22, 2022, 04:28:30 PMHope you like comedy speacials where some out of shape white bloke has caution tape around his mouth on the front cover

Wait, that out of shape white bloke could be me!!! Finally, representation in the media.

Cheers for the suggestions mates. I've thumbed down the Gervais special, and packed my kids off to an orphanage, just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

itsfredtitmus

it's weirdly hard to hate this man no matter what crap he spews out with how many hours, days, years of enjoyment ive got from the xfm shows

bgmnts

Yeah but when you realise his main contribution to those hours of material is a loud laugh, it gets easier. Almost everything else was provided by Karl and Steve.

Mr. Ssmsslth

Nah, I think he was genuinely funny back then. But I don't find it too hard to hate his output nowadays.

boki

Quote from: Replies From View on June 20, 2022, 11:58:27 AMYouTube algorithm gave me this today:

Comic Police,
Arrest this man, he
Was lazy,
And uninspired.

frajer

I won't ask you your age, these days they throw you in jail if you ask someone their age

30 seconds of drivel later

What's your age darlin, let's fuck

Barry Admin

Quote from: Replies From View on June 20, 2022, 11:58:27 AMYouTube algorithm gave me this today:

It's got Jeremy Kyle in it! You can't perpetuate this type of shit about how you can't say anything these days because of cancel culture, when you killed one of your guests Alan Partridge-style, yet still have a fucking media job.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: bgmnts on June 22, 2022, 04:36:07 PMYeah but when you realise his main contribution to those hours of material is a loud laugh, it gets easier. Almost everything else was provided by Karl and Steve.
it wouldnt be the endlessly replayable trove of comedy without ricky's nonsense scenarios, hysterical laughter/rage and vocal affectations ("froggy froggy sez buy it!" "the clue changes everrrrryyy timeee!")
for a period of time gervais was one of the funniest people in britain. a lieral hell would be the xfm shows w/ no gervais and merchant exclusively telling anecdotes about being bad with woman or hating the homeless/fat people

Blue Jam

I've been listening to the podcast Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend again because Stephen Merchant was on it a few weeks back. He mentions Gervais a lot and is keen to stress how nice he was to fans asking to pose for selfies. It's a bit of a contrast to the one with Gervais where he comes across as surprisingly self-aware but doesn't mention Merchant once.

Merchant also gives a lot of credit to the writers of the US Office, heh.

Stigdu

Stephen Merchant's a nice enough bloke. I saw him in The Cinema Store in Covent Garden Many years ago and asked if he minded my partner taking a photo of me with him. I'm 6 foot, and he absolutely TOWERED over me.

famethrowa

Well, you wouldn't want to mock the disabled

y'know

Cold Meat Platter

Trying to draw up a Gervais timeline. Anything else?

David Brent from the Office pretends to be David Bowie
David Brent from the Office chooses the music to This Life
David Brent from the Office is an emotionally stunted edgelord ranting unfunnily before Ali G came on
David Brent from the Office is David Brent from the office
David Brent from the Office bullies a working class man on the radio.
David Brent from the Office is an actor now for some reason and unsure whether he's the sensible one or the one who laughs at gays and disableds
David Brent from the Office laughs at a dwarf whose life is shit.
David Brent from the Office pretends to be a *redacted*
David Brent from the Office's wife is dead and he's a dick about it.

Interspersed through this is David Brent from the Office recycles Stewart lee material/David Brent from the office vs. the imaginary creationists/ David Brent from the Office vs. the wokeflake cucktards/ David Brent from the Office reads out some tweets/ David Brent from the Office can't improvise for toffee/ David Brent from the Office has collaborator amnesia

EDIT: Oh aye, David Brent from the Office tells playground jokes and then laughs like a cunt

itsfredtitmus

when is he going to bite the bullet and come out as asexual?

Cold Meat Platter

Stigdu

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 23, 2022, 04:34:24 AMTrying to draw up a Gervais timeline. Anything else?

David Brent from the Office pretends to be David Bowie
David Brent from the Office chooses the music to This Life
David Brent from the Office is an emotionally stunted edgelord ranting unfunnily before Ali G came on
David Brent from the Office is David Brent from the office
David Brent from the Office bullies a working class man on the radio.
David Brent from the Office is an actor now for some reason and unsure whether he's the sensible one or the one who laughs at gays and disableds
David Brent from the Office laughs at a dwarf whose life is shit.
David Brent from the Office pretends to be a *redacted*
David Brent from the Office's wife is dead and he's a dick about it.

Interspersed through this is David Brent from the Office recycles Stewart lee material/David Brent from the office vs. the imaginary creationists/ David Brent from the Office vs. the wokeflake cucktards/ David Brent from the Office reads out some tweets/ David Brent from the Office can't improvise for toffee/ David Brent from the Office has collaborator amnesia

EDIT: Oh aye, David Brent from the Office tells playground jokes and then laughs like a cunt

That looks fun! Let me try!

David Brent from The Office creates a multi-award winning TV show with his mate Steve.
David Brent from The Office donates £5,000 Comic Relief prize to MacMillan Nurses.
David Brent has helped raise hundreds of thousands of pounds for animal charities all around the world whilst promoting their causes.
David Brent makes a hilarious comedy about his mate Warwick and his ridiculous mishaps.
David Brent has almost zero fans on the Cook'd and Bomb'd forum, but I really don't think he cares.

king_tubby

Quote from: Stigdu on June 23, 2022, 07:58:35 AMDavid Brent from The Office donates £5,000 Comic Relief prize to MacMillan Nurses.

Heh, he's a multimillionaire, that's the equivalent of me chucking my 7p change in the bucket at the offie.

Replies From View

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 22, 2022, 06:00:45 PMit wouldnt be the endlessly replayable trove of comedy without ricky's nonsense scenarios, hysterical laughter/rage and vocal affectations ("froggy froggy sez buy it!" "the clue changes everrrrryyy timeee!")
for a period of time gervais was one of the funniest people in britain. a lieral hell would be the xfm shows w/ no gervais and merchant exclusively telling anecdotes about being bad with woman or hating the homeless/fat people

a liberal hell?