Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Kelvin

Your can play a decent version of Turok 1 (and a terrible version of Turok 2) on PC, Switch and presumably the other consoles. With the fogging pushed back, I found Turok 1 to be something of a revelation: some really good level design which you couldn't appreciate when the fogging was so near to your nose. Turok 2 was buggy as hell, and frankly much worse than I remembered it. 

Crenners

The stick was both amazing and terrible depending on the implementation. Too much travel for many games, perfect for M64 and OoT. Otherwise, loved it. Great system albeit cataract tier now.

Pink Gregory

Have only just been made aware of all the ACA Neo Geo ports, picked up Metal Slug 1 and 2.  Might finally actually play these.

Heard good things about Sengoku 3 but Danganronpa was on sale.  They're only £6 each so they're not going to hurt the pocket, on their own

Crenners

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 17, 2022, 02:26:30 PMHave only just been made aware of all the ACA Neo Geo ports, picked up Metal Slug 1 and 2.  Might finally actually play these.

Heard good things about Sengoku 3 but Danganronpa was on sale.  They're only £6 each so they're not going to hurt the pocket, on their own

Sengoku 3 is probably the best old-school brawler in terms of gameplay. Far more fluid and more depth than the more 'iconic' examples of the genre. Last boss is dogshit coin guzzler but it's a belter til then. The woman is the best, loads of cool juggles and cancels and finishers.

Kelvin

Neir: Automater and Persona 5 coming to Switch in the next few months. Pretty great news for those of us that haven't played them before.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Kelvin on June 28, 2022, 06:01:16 PMNeir: Automater and Persona 5 coming to Switch in the next few months. Pretty great news for those of us that haven't played them before.

Really appreciate that the Switch gets so many ports of older stuff.  I imagine that Nintendo fans aren't arsed, but I'm so much more likely to get round to something 4-5 years old on the Switch these days than any other platform. 

Crenners

Nier: Automata is probably the best game I've ever found quite boring. By the end, I absolutely could not regret any of it.

P5 is extremely stylish and the soundtrack is fucking immense but I don't enjoy that kind of time management/min-max jobs gameplay. It stresses me out. Dungeons and core combat are pretty good, but not necessarily much better than Tokyo Mirage.

It's a funny one, really. The core of premise is interesting, but it's also a very hypocritical game. There's one bad bastard perv who you conspire to bring down and yet the game itself leers over female student characters without a hint of self-awareness. I can actually deal with pervy Japanese games but the hypocrisy made me struggle to get into the narrative.

Not seen the Direct yet, hope there's some newer stuff than this.

Kelvin

Quote from: Crenners on June 28, 2022, 06:49:11 PMNot seen the Direct yet, hope there's some newer stuff than this.

It was just a third party direct, not a first party one. They talked a bit about the new Mario Rabbid game, Monster Hunter DLC, new Bomberman, a few new indies, but the rest was mostly old ports, the most high-profile being the two games I mentioned.

There's a list here:

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-direct-mini-everything-announced-june-2022-persona

Crenners

Quote from: Kelvin on June 28, 2022, 06:58:55 PMThere's a list here:

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-direct-mini-everything-announced-june-2022-persona

Cheers.

I've never played P4G which is meant to be the best one, so I'll get that.

MH Rise DLC will be good but feel like I've so little interest in the Switch these days, I probably won't get that unless it's on sale.

Everything else not arsed but that's personal preference.

Jerzy Bondov

I absolutely love Nier Automata but I don't see any need to play it again
Spoiler alert
except to leer at 2B it's okay she's a robot and she's not real
[close]

Same with Persona to be honest. BUT good news for anyone who wants to play the only enjoyable JRPGs ever made.

Noodle Lizard

I just got one of these, as a friend was giving it away. What should I be playing? I played through Mario Kart 8 today but I reckon I'm already sort of done with that, and I've got Breath of the Wild and Super Smash Bros Ultimate to get into, but are there any "essentials" I'm missing?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 29, 2022, 07:58:28 AMI just got one of these, as a friend was giving it away. What should I be playing? I played through Mario Kart 8 today but I reckon I'm already sort of done with that, and I've got Breath of the Wild and Super Smash Bros Ultimate to get into, but are there any "essentials" I'm missing?

Super Mario Odyssey, probably.  It is that good.

Kelvin

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 29, 2022, 07:58:28 AMI just got one of these, as a friend was giving it away. What should I be playing? I played through Mario Kart 8 today but I reckon I'm already sort of done with that, and I've got Breath of the Wild and Super Smash Bros Ultimate to get into, but are there any "essentials" I'm missing?

Obviously depends on the types of games you like and dislike, but off the top of my head I'd always recommend:

Mario Odyssey (3D platformer)

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (2D platformer)

Luigi's Mansion 3 (Ghostbusters meets a 3D puzzler, with lovely animations and environments to explore)

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (strategy game and JRPG)

Metroid Dread (2D Metroid game, best paced entry in that series)

Pikmin 3 Deluxe (Real-time strategy game)

Jerzy Bondov

Super Mario 3D World. All other games in the bin.

oggyraiding

Neon White is ace. Card based FPS speed run visual novel hybrid. Great feeling when you've worked out the optimal route and you're bomb jumping and gunning down demons, in one fluid run.

Memorex MP3

Firstly, check the serial code to see if you can install custom firmware on it. Honestly a bit surprised these earlier models don't command a higher price than they currently do with what it allows you.

Had a lot of fun doing co op on Pikmin 3 even though it obviously wasn't originally made that way (and you really each need a pair of joycons to avoid the controls feeling off).

Moving through it extremely slowly but Disco Elysium feels like a really good fit for the device to play in tiny chunks. Almost every major indie game from the last few years is on it too and it's usually an ideal format for them.

Get a Labo while they're still cheap if you're at all interested; you can get them for like £25 now and I cannot see a scenario where they're not worth a fuckton in a few years; it'll just be impossible to justify actually building them when they cost that much.
The other gimmick releases (Mario Kart Home Circuit and Ring Fit Adventure) aren't close to bottoming out price wise but I imagine both will be good value novelties when they do.

Physical copies of switch games used are often cheaper than buying on the eshop and they'll mostly retain their value. Unless the convenience of having them digitally is worth a lot you may as well but them physically.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Crenners on June 28, 2022, 07:04:40 PMCheers.

I've never played P4G which is meant to be the best one, so I'll get that.

MH Rise DLC will be good but feel like I've so little interest in the Switch these days, I probably won't get that unless it's on sale.

Everything else not arsed but that's personal preference.

P4G is absolutely brilliant. It's the first Persona game I played and is pretty much the only reason I still own a Vita. Having it on the Switch will be fantastic.

If you like it, P3P is definitely worth your time too.

Jerzy Bondov

Cruis'n Blast if you like proper fucking video game mayhem

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on June 29, 2022, 09:24:17 AMMetroid Dread (2D Metroid game, best paced entry in that series)

fucking hellvin, i don't agree with kelvin

Pink Gregory

Quote from: madhair60 on June 29, 2022, 06:38:26 PMfucking hellvin, i don't agree with kelvin

well, to be fair, it's only Dread, Super Metroid and the NES Metroids on the Switch.  You may as well go Dread in the absence of Fusion.

RetroRobot

Pac Man World remake? Love that game, though if I'm being honest even back then it was crap compared to it's contemporaries.

madhair60

crucially it is in fact the worst paced entry in that series thanks to these lads

Quote from: RetroRobot on June 29, 2022, 06:47:33 PMPac Man World remake? Love that game, though if I'm being honest even back then it was crap compared to it's contemporaries.

loads worse platformers on PS1 than Pac-Man World. pretty good game all in all.

RetroRobot

Quote from: madhair60 on June 29, 2022, 06:48:44 PMcrucially it is in fact the worst paced entry in that series thanks to these lads

loads worse platformers on PS1 than Pac-Man World. pretty good game all in all.

I'll be playing it because I'll play any big 3D platformer but even on the PS1 you had Rayman 2, Crash, Spyro etc that I'd argue are better. Pac Man World is fun but it's clunky compared to those. The Egypt boss can get tae fuck though. To end on a high note the ending cutscene always makes me laugh. The poor ghost is tearing up, telling Pac Man about how much his life sucks. Aw, he'll forgive him... Nope, chomped the cunt.

FalknerHinton

Card Shark. Grift your way round 18th Century France robbing aristos, and learn concepts you can use irl on your friends.

Keep a notebook handy, there's a lot to remember.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Card-Shark-1822143.html

Kelvin

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 29, 2022, 09:40:19 AMSuper Mario 3D World. All other games in the bin.

I don't rate 3D World that much, as I don't like the isometric camera, but I'd very happily argue that the 20 hours you can spend in Bowser's Fury are worth the asking price anyway. It's superb; a whole new game that takes all the best mechanics from 3D World, adds a (small) "open world", and is arguably more fun to explore than Mario Odyssey. 

Noodle Lizard

Oh wow, thanks for the recommendations! I'll be looking into all of those.

N64 was my first console (other than my dad's Sega Megadrive), so I was mostly looking at the modern iterations of things like Super Mario World and Zelda. I'll have to be judicious choosing between Odyssey and 3D World, these aren't cheap!

I got stuck into Breath of the Wild a bit yesterday. Hasn't quite clicked for me yet, but I've only played a couple of hours.

Jerzy Bondov

Marios Odyssey and 3D World are both great but very different. Odyssey is a welcoming, beautifully made experience, full of little surprises and enjoyable but not particularly difficult challenges. 3D World is pure Video Game. It's classic Mario, but in 3D. It's not about exploration or taking in views, it's about running through levels with all manner of shit trying to stop you. Personally it's the best 3D Mario game, maybe the best Mario game, maybe the best game. I love it. Can't go wrong with either though

Pink Gregory

If you want a puzzle/tactics game, you can't do much better than Into the Breach

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 29, 2022, 10:10:04 PMPersonally it's the best 3D Mario game, maybe the best Mario game, maybe the best game. I love it.

I still think mario 2 is the best, but yeah, I think you're right. 3d mario is really good and definitely the best 3d mario game. I bounced off odyssey pretty hard, I was bored near the end of the desert stage and jumped ship.
Just felt like I was fucking around in some low stakes sandbox with a few "things to do" quests.

Spelunky is on there if you've not played that yet - https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Spelunky-1883786.html

Best game ever made and I'm imagining would be good on the screen size and controls of the switch if you're playing portable.

Slay The Spire is probably really good portable - https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Slay-the-Spire-1423987.html