Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Captain Tom Moore

Started by weekender, April 15, 2020, 06:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

nm

touchingcloth

Kankurette

Cold Meat Platter

And I assume all his war noncing as well, about fucking time if so.

dissolute ocelot

QuoteThe inquiry will examine concerns that a private company controlled by Captain Tom's daughter, Hannah Ingram-Moore, and her husband, Colin, potentially profited by trademarking the "Captain Tom" brand without objection from the foundation.

It will also look into allegations of mismanagement in the administration of the foundation, and whether it had complied with charity law, as well as its handling of potential conflicts of interest with companies connected to the Ingram-Moore family.

The commission revealed that it had stepped in last year to prevent Hannah Ingram-Moore, a trustee of the charity, from being appointed as its chief executive on a six-figure salary.
We should be celebrating this kind of go-ahead post-Brexit capitalism, which after all is what Cap'n Tom fought for (in his battles with gonorrhoea).

Even our 'feel-good' stories turn out to be massively corrupt grifts.

Ayasakura

Reading the beginning of this thread is like a time capsule. A time capsule of a fucking fever dream. I know all this happened, for I remember living through it, but it is all so insane to look back on that I feel like I've had a breakdown

Utter Shit

Can anyone point me to the page in this thread where people started smelling a rat? I'm sure someone dug out details of how much money was actually going to charity quite quickly.

Old Thrashbarg

I think the first hint of the grift was on the third page:

Quote from: Aaron500 on April 16, 2020, 11:08:52 PMHis daughter only turns 50 in September*, which means he was 50 when she was born and about to turn 50 when she was conceived, the dirty bugger.
Maybe she's the result of one of his pre-50th "laps of the garden".

*According to Companies House. She also has 5 active directorships, and 70 odd grand in the bank.
And Twitter would suggest she's a massive Tory, weighing in against Corbyn while watching the leadership debates from her fucking big house.

And ramped up a bit on page 6:

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 17, 2020, 08:13:47 PMThe more I think about this, the more I think we've been hoodwinked.  Tom is up to some Ocean's Eleven type shit here.

Here goes.. back in the war Tom got acces to high level Nazi chemical plans, he used these plans to start a virus in China which he knew was feasible because people eat bats there, the virus spreads to the UK where Tom lives, Tom banks on the UK's unstable NHS and gullible population and sets up a 'fundraiser' for the NHS by doing the simple act of walking round the garden, the public donates in vast amounts because Tom's old and a war veteren, Tom takes the money and emigrates back to India to fund his Raj project.

Quote from: Alberon on April 17, 2020, 08:23:30 PMHe's just passed £20m. What's the betting he and the money disappears tomorrow and all they find is a discarded latex mask of an old man's face.

EDIT: Hah! Didn't see the previous post before I posted.

Then page 9:

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 18, 2020, 01:26:23 PMcan i also point out that hannah (his daughter) and her husband are directors of a recruitment firm with massive PR reach

https://www.maytrixgroup.com/consultants

With some twat on page 10 finally putting it beyond doubt:

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 20, 2020, 12:18:38 PMTurns out Cookd and Bombd's aggressive cynicism was ahead of the curve once more.

The charity that organised this whole thing, Maytrix, have earned 600k off the back of it so far (2% of the money raised plus 5% of gift aid). Which is all fairly standard for fundraising, except that the organisers of the charity are...the old boy's daughter and son in law.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07337664/officers

Those 10 pages all coming within 5 days of the thread being started.

Utter Shit

Ahahaha nice one, cheers - I skipped through pages up to 30, didn't realise it was clocked so quickly. And definitely didn't remember that it was me that posted the Companies House info.

The rights to his image were held in a family trust, presumably meaning any time the charity wanted to use it they had to pay the family first.

Those image rights were simply resting in their trust.

idunnosomename

Fucking hell that is rotten

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Time to move to this to GB. I really don't think these grifting bastards are getting enough shit, frankly.

Ferris

Quote from: Quote on June 30, 2022, 10:39:55 AM

The rights to his image were held in a family trust, presumably meaning any time the charity wanted to use it they had to pay the family first.

Fair play that's brass neck beyond what I had predicted.

Copyright grandad, then wheel him out for fundraising (with a tasty licensing fee straight into the bank account any time someone sees him).

Ferris

According to the graun they copyrighted grandad in April 2020, so page 1 of this thread they were already filing paperwork to cash-in.

It was a grift from the start. Incredible.

Uncle TechTip

It's probably important to note that there's no cloud over the 38mil raised in the initial charity drive walking round the garden, but that money went straight to NHS Charities Together - well, 25mil that i could find was publicly given the charity group. That money could not legally be spent on medical equipment or patient facilities, but on staff facilities, new kettles and microwaves etc.

What's under investigation is the charity the family set up after the walk round the garden, the Captain Tom Foundation, which took public donations and also sliced off some proceeds from the gin, the book and other things.

That charity collected 250k in some period and the family paid itself 150k in "consultancy fees".

Ferris

And Hannah tried to appoint herself as CEO for £60k, then upped her ask to £100-£150k (depending on source) and was told no by the charity commission because there's no justification for that.

She explained to the Independent when asked about this that she didn't really want the job anyway, which is why she applied a third time for £85k then did it for 9 months (the maximum time allowed under the agreement with the CC). Nothing to see here!

Real car crash PR stuff. The fact they seemingly formed a company to hold trademarks before they incorporated the charity speaks volumes.

JamesTC

It is tragic that TV psychics have gone out of fashion before they could be passing on messages from Captain Tom.

Ferris

Quote from: JamesTC on June 30, 2022, 02:39:46 PMIt is tragic that TV psychics have gone out of fashion before they could be passing on messages from Captain Tom.

"He keeps saying a name beginning with... 'Ch'? I think... it sounds like... 'Charity Commission'? Does that resonate with anyone in the room? He wants to be absolutely clear - he says not to worry about the money (and to drop all investigations into it). Does that mean anything to anyone here today?"

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Ferris on June 30, 2022, 01:04:47 PMReal car crash PR stuff. The fact they seemingly formed a company to hold trademarks before they incorporated the charity speaks volumes.

Is that done to ensure the trademarks are enforceable? Or could they have registered the trademarks before the company to make sure nobody else grabbed them.

Paying for image rights is a separate level of awfulness.

Ferris

Depends if you were doing something as a purely charitable act, or with one eye on making a load of money first and foremost.

Who else would have scooped up captain tom copyrights? And how would they possibly be enforceable unless it was done by the old boy himself or his family? You can't just copyright random people unless you have an actual claim to them.

Kankurette

We are the CABbers in the coal mine.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Ferris on June 30, 2022, 05:09:51 PMDepends if you were doing something as a purely charitable act, or with one eye on making a load of money first and foremost.

Who else would have scooped up captain tom copyrights? And how would they possibly be enforceable unless it was done by the old boy himself or his family? You can't just copyright random people unless you have an actual claim to them.

You could trademark Captain Tom, there must be loads of them.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA major publisher behind Captain Sir Tom Moore's autobiography, said to have been written in "support" of a foundation set up in his name, has refused to disclose whether it has paid any money to the charity from sales of the book.

Only a month after the late veteran's multimillion-pound fundraising effort during the first Covid lockdown the Captain Tom Foundation announced the publication of his £20 autobiography and a £12.99 children's picture book to "support his newly formed charity".

The autobiography of the veteran – who raised nearly £39m (including tax rebates) for NHS Charities Together by walking laps of his garden – became a Sunday Times No 1 bestseller.

However, more than two years later, Penguin Random House (PRH) – one of the world's largest book publishers – would not reveal whether it had paid any funds to the charity from the sale of the publications when asked by The Independent. Instead, it cited "confidential details pertaining to contracts, which of course legally we are not at liberty to disclose". The publisher said it had "not acted in any way that is in breach of charity legislation"...

PRH has published four Captain Tom books. His autobiography and the picture book, One Hundred Steps: The Story of Captain Sir Tom Moore, were first published in 2020. Captain Tom's Life Lessons and One Hundred Reasons to Hope: true stories of everyday heroes were both released last year.

Copies in both hardback and paperback of One Hundred Reasons to Hope – the introduction to which is written by Hannah Ingram-Moore – say that the text copyright is held by "Club Nook Limited, 2021".

A paperback version of One Hundred Steps lists the text copyright as "Tom Moore, 2020" and a paperback copy of Tomorrow Will be a Good Day lists the copyright as "Captain Sir Tom Moore, 2020". The kindle version of Captain Tom's Life Lessons lists the copyright as "Captain Sir Tom Moore, 2021".

Legislation says that the actual amount going to charity from a commercial partnership must be specified. In the case of the £14.99 One Hundred Reasons to Hope book, a declaration is made on Penguin's website specifying how much money is going to the Captain Tom Foundation from the sale of the books. Penguin's website says: "Inspired by, and with the blessing of, one man and his walking frame, a £1 donation will be made to the Captain Tom Foundation for all hardback print sales in the UK and Ireland."

However, there is no such declaration on Penguin's website on the web pages featuring each of the other three Captain Sir Tom Moore books. For One Hundred Steps, the publisher's website says the book has been "published in support of the creation of the Captain Tom Foundation", but no further information is provided about whether a specific donation is being provided to the charity and, if so, how much it is.

Shivaji Shiva, a charities partner at law firm VWV, said: "The fact that one of the books is sold on the basis that 'a £1 donation will be made to the Captain Tom Foundation for all hardback print sales in the UK and Ireland' prompts questions including: why was there not a similar statement in relation to the other three Captain Tom books?

"In relation to the other three books, was a donation made to the foundation from the proceeds of sale? If so, what was the 'notifiable amount' and how was it made known to potential purchasers?"

He added: "Members of the public are likely to ask how it is that these questions remain unanswered given the attention focused on the foundation in recent months."

In response to questions from The Independent, PRH declined to disclose whether or not it had paid funds to the Captain Tom Foundation, or Club Nook Ltd, from the sale of the three books. In reference to The Independent's questions, a PRH spokesperson said "many of these have been around confidential details pertaining to contracts, which of course legally we are not at liberty to disclose". They added that "we can categorically assure you that we have not acted in any way that is in breach of charity legislation".

The Captain Tom Foundation initially declined to comment. However, a spokesperson subsequently said: "The Captain Tom Foundation confirms that it has received donations from Penguin for all of the books badged as providing a £1 charitable donation for each sale."

The hardback version of One Hundred Reasons to Hope displays such a badge on its cover. However, copies of Tomorrow Will Be A Good Day, One Hundred Steps and Captain Tom's Life Lessons seen by The Independent do not carry the same badge or specify that a donation will be made to the Captain Tom Foundation from sales. Asked to clarify whether the foundation was saying it had received donations from Penguin from the sales of those three books, the spokesperson said: "We will not be commenting further."

In a statement, Hannah Ingram-Moore said: "I can confirm that Club Nook has not profited from branded merchandise/memorabilia, that Club Nook has not been paid by the foundation for use of its trademarks and that Club Nook's revenues have been generated by other activities."...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/captain-tom-book-charity-b2123203.html

Ferris

What about the "signed" ones that were stamped by someone else with his signature (the flagrant dishonesty, and subsequent acquiescence of the media and public still astonishes me) and going for fifty quid a pop? All straight into the charity aye?

Catalogue Trousers

Oh dear. It looks like tomorrow won't be such a good day after all.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 06, 2022, 02:10:07 PMAre Captain Tom masks something you can buy? Or maybe they printed them off the internet.

Edit to add: repeatedly ninja'd, I might have known

Ferris

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on July 16, 2022, 11:45:09 PMOh dear. It looks like tomorrow won't be such a good day after all.

Guy was all about the branding. No flies on him (well when he was alive anyway).

Uncle TechTip

Maybe they're not allowed to hand the money over whilst the charity is under investigation. Just keep it for now and let it accrue interest.