Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:56:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Greybum Muchtransanger - the continuing TERFery of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, June 03, 2022, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Quote from: Ex_GC on June 30, 2022, 12:06:31 PMI'm still sniggering over "how come JK Rowling gets a West End show and I don't?" This is the start of the JK Rowling bitterness and I am here for it

Lovely to see that even the relationships he fabricates are utterly transactional, and that when they don't go how he wants he turns publicly nasty. Creepy, creepy bastard.

Jumblegraws

I totally get the "I really liked Ted and even I wouldn't give a shit about a musical" sentiment, but I think a half-decent promotions team could build up a buzz for it. I think even people who haven't watched the show could quite easily have their interest piqued (not peaked, calm down, Greybum) and maybe even see it as a chance to get into a cult series they missed the boat on. That said, all things considered, I still don't think it's worth investing time and resources when there's a banana on board.

madhair60

Quote from: Pimhole on June 30, 2022, 12:20:57 PMCome with me and you'll be
In a world of lower limb vibration
Take a look and you'll see
All my latest defamation

We'll begin with a spin
Through some hostile threats of my creation
What we'll see will defy
Explanation

If you want to grift pensioners
Simply coin some hate and spew it
Anything you want to, do it
Want to peak the world?
There's nothing to it

There is no life I know
To compare with bigotry causation
You'll be family-free
If you truly wish to be

If you want to call gays groomers
Simply write a blog and do it
Loot the right-wing fascist toolkit
Want to lose a wife?
There's nothing to it

There is no life I know
To compare with banana plantation
You'll be made of hot pee
If you truly wish to be

This is up there with Fairytale of Norwich, surely?

somersetchris

Quote from: RicoMNKN on June 30, 2022, 01:01:59 PMYou get Dad's Army and Absolutely Fabulous films, and the Only Fools and Horses musical.  I'm not sure it's that much smaller an IP.

Dad's Army was met with mostly indifference, despite a very good cast. Only Fools and Horses was on BBC One for 20 years and regularly got 20 million viewers. Father Ted was on Channel Four for three series, 20 years ago. There is a vast difference between public awareness / affection for the series, IMO. I'd also say Ab Fab is probably more well known due to it being on BBC One prime time - besides, a film that can be made for a couple of million is a far more viable prospect than trying to establish a musical, which famously don't make any money until/unless they can run for ages. There's also the question of how the fuck Father Ted even translates to a musical. I don't think he's got anything more than a title at this stage.

Ex_GC

All we know about the premise of this musical is that Ted is now Pope. It would be crammed with "it was resting in my account" jokes. Basically the same as Craggy Island except now it's the Vatican. The whole premise of the original was they were outcast incompetent priests who were shunned to a remote island but now Ted is somehow Pope?

Father Ted was very successful but it was in the right place at the right time (people starting to question the Catholic Church in the 90s) as well as the main actors making it a success. I can't see how it could he recreated as a successful musical

wrec

I don't think he wants to return to Ireland or has much affection for the country, and only seems to mention it when he's back here for a visit. He wants to be in the thick of UK terfery. Here, his only option would be to align with fringe far right parties whose transphobia is indivisible from explicit anti-vax / anti-mask / anti-immigrant / anti-abortion rhetoric and general racism and homophobia. Also I can't imagine him walking down a busy street without being repeatedly called a bigoted auld cunt with a big melted face on him (it's unfortunate but undeniable that people would stoop to physical insults).

Quote from: jobotic on June 30, 2022, 12:28:20 PM^ first two lines had me pissing myself

Gold

QDRPHNC

With the musical, it's also going to attract a ton of protests and general bad publicity. It's just a massive risky headache from any angle, basically.

dissolute ocelot

Is Only Fools and Horses the only British/Irish sitcom to get a musical treatment? I was looking at the reviews for OFAH:The Musical, lots of 2- and 3-stars. It apparently leans more on the sentimentality and pathos than the humour (and recycles a lot of the show and some well-known songs, so it's definitely a "greatest hits"). It seems to be doing OK, back after COVID, though it doesn't seem a direct model for Ted.

It's definitely a big risk launching a musical that's not aimed at the traditional musical-going audience. You have to be very good, and popular in other spheres (like Book of Mormon or Spamalot). Neil Hannon is not popular enough to sell many tickets purely on his name, and I think a lot of Father Ted fans would wait and see the reviews before booking (a lot of people were skeptical of Spamalot). It's a long hard slog launching a musical like that, workshopping, out-of-town runs, rewrites, touring, and I doubt Glinner could focus on it. Just far too many risks to make it worthwhile.

g0m

Once you pass a certain threshold of transphobia you automatically become British

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 30, 2022, 03:57:51 PMIt's a long hard slog launching a musical like that, workshopping, out-of-town runs, rewrites, touring, and I doubt Glinner could focus on it. Just far too many risks to make it worthwhile.

Also gotta make sure everyone cast and crew is a transphobe and signs a contract stating so

Barry Admin

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 30, 2022, 03:57:51 PMIs Only Fools and Horses the only British/Irish sitcom to get a musical treatment? I was looking at the reviews for OFAH:The Musical, lots of 2- and 3-stars.

Doesn't really fulfill the criteria, but there was an Acorn Antiques musical which was very successful, and which I was busting to see. 

idunnosomename

It is quite mad he never explained to his banana bunch who Joe Duffy is and why he's writing him an open letter in such an aggressive tone

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 30, 2022, 07:22:04 PMIt is quite mad he never explained to his banana bunch who Joe Duffy is and why he's writing him an open letter in such an aggressive tone

I still have no idea who he is but reasoned it was entirely unimportant. Could be a footballer, could be a physicist, could be a twitter sleb who has wronged graham via DM.

frajer

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 30, 2022, 07:22:04 PMIt is quite mad he never explained to his banana bunch who Joe Duffy is and why he's writing him an open letter in such an aggressive tone

I like to imagine his readers thinking he is angry at Duff Man.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Question for Helen: Do you believe that female-sexed people have the right to display non-consensual nudity on a communal platform with teenage girls?

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Ferris on June 30, 2022, 07:50:59 PMI still have no idea who he is but reasoned it was entirely unimportant.

For the uninitiated: Joe Duffy is one of Ireland's most famous radio personalities and host of the daily Liveline show on RTE Radio 1. Liveline is a phone-in discussion show with a thin veneer of seriousness/self-importance, and is perhaps best compared to the UK's Jeremy Vine / LBC / Talk Radio type stuff.

Quote from: Wikipedia2022 broadcasts on transgender issues

In June 2022, a number of episodes of Liveline including discussion of transgender issues were criticised by transgender rights activists, with Ailbhe Smyth accusing the programme of enabling "hate speech".[16] After the episodes were aired, Dublin Pride announced that they would be terminating their media partnership with RTÉ, with a statement from the group saying they were "angered and disappointed" at the discussions held on the broadcasts and criticising "anti-trans rhetoric" on the programme.[17]

greencalx

DJ Bob Hoskins

It really wouldn't surprise me if Joe Duffy invited the bananas cunt onto his show. But each minute that BC has to wait for that email to arrive must feel like 5 years to him. Which, frankly, is hilarious.

He's gone from lobbying* World's Richest Man Elon Musk to whinging like an irate Liveline caller at Ireland's Crappest Chat Show Host Joe Duffy in the space of about a week.

Who's next on the 'why me?' PR trail? The person who cleans part time at the building which houses the PO Box that JK Rowling's agents have the fan mail sent to?

* I say 'lobbying' but it was more "If anyone out there still has Twitter can you please tweet something at someone for me?"

DJ Bob Hoskins

jobotic

I know she's, shall we say, a keen follower of the old pingers but I didn't know she posted unsolicited dick pics on Twitter.

Quote from: jobotic on June 30, 2022, 09:42:40 PMI know she's, shall we say, a keen follower of the old pingers but I didn't know she posted unsolicited dick pics on Twitter.

The irony of her receiving a ban for non-consensual nudity is beautiful.

jobotic

FalknerHinton