Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2022

Started by selectivememory, January 04, 2022, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

privatefriend

They should change the rules to cleanse tennis of servebots like Isner, so boring.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Is there any reason they can't shut the roof during the match, instead of stopping for ten minutes? Does it make an annoying noise or something?

selectivememory

https://mobile.twitter.com/josemorgado/status/1542236227495235584

QuoteOne on them will reach a first Grand Slam semifinal at Wimbledon:

Humbert
Goffin
Tiafoe
Bublik
Norrie
Johnson
Paul
Vesely

Big opportunity for one of these lads to lose in the semis to Djokovic. Humbert or Tiafoe would be nice to see, but I'm hoping it's Goffin for sentimental reasons. Surprised he hadn't made a semi in his career.

Captain Z

Quote from: WhoMe on June 29, 2022, 07:52:57 PMThere's the come on Tim's and then there's this other, more extreme category of Wimbledon yellers. It doesn't sound like encouragement so much as the last desperate shriek at a lifeboat before being taken by the waves.

It's utterly inane, isn't it. Renders the match practically unwatchable. The only way to cope is the knowledge that Andy almost certainly despises them all.

selectivememory

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 29, 2022, 09:02:02 PMIs there any reason they can't shut the roof during the match, instead of stopping for ten minutes? Does it make an annoying noise or something?

I think there's a bit of air conditioning needs to take place. They didn't appear to have any air conditioning under the roof at Roland Garros, and it made for horrendous playing conditions in the humidity.

Crenners

Would love to see one of these Tim losers get their fuckin skull pinned in the roof

selectivememory

Quote from: privatefriend on June 29, 2022, 09:01:19 PMThey should change the rules to cleanse tennis of servebots like Isner, so boring.

They already had to change the scoring system specifically because of Isner himself and his miserable long matches. He's pretty much responsible for the final set tie break being brought in across the board at the majors.

rjd2

Quote from: selectivememory on June 29, 2022, 09:03:45 PMhttps://mobile.twitter.com/josemorgado/status/1542236227495235584

Big opportunity for one of these lads to lose in the semis to Djokovic. Humbert or Tiafoe would be nice to see, but I'm hoping it's Goffin for sentimental reasons. Surprised he hadn't made a semi in his career.

I dunno why I just dislike Norrie, I think its his face and the name,,incredibly trivial reasons indeed.

Anyone getting through would be fine,,oddly enough no clue who has the highest ceiling their though.

kitsofan34

Does Andy Murray have anger management problems?

selectivememory

Crenners

Bye you fucking loser

bgmnts

Murray losing to one of those machines that fires practice balls because he's such a whiny crybaby was fucking mint.

Lovely to shut that genuinely nasty crowd up as well.

selectivememory

Quote from: rjd2 on June 29, 2022, 09:13:35 PMI dunno why I just dislike Norrie, I think its his face and the name,,incredibly trivial reasons indeed.

I don't really have any strong opinions either way about him or his game. He's just there. Would never go out of my way to watch one of his matches. Fair play to him though, undeniably impressive couple of years for him.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

With regards to Raducanu, I do miss Laura Robson. She may not have been all that good/got injured all the time (delete as applicable) but she sensed that being a good British champion brought with it the ability to chat shit, which she was definitely very capable of. Her banter was good, and it was fine.

God speed, Laura.

selectivememory

Hell of a win for Katie Boulter over Pliskova. Beat her last week in Eastbourne as well, but considerably higher stakes here.

Watson also through to the third round, and Dart in a competitive match with Pegula. Not a bad tournament for the British women so far.

shoulders

Broady a break up in the 5th against Schwartzman. Wouldn't be holding my breath in terms of closing this out, but just maybe.

selectivememory

He's got it. Great win for him.

Iga's having a bit of a stinker today. She'll probably get away with it, but it feels like she'll be very vulnerable here in a way she wasn't in Paris.

selectivememory

Quote from: selectivememory on June 30, 2022, 04:58:49 PMIga's having a bit of a stinker today. She'll probably get away with it, but it feels like she'll be very vulnerable here in a way she wasn't in Paris.

Dropping a set to a lucky loser ranked 138 in the world. Not good. The worst she's played all year.

rjd2

Quote from: selectivememory on June 30, 2022, 05:13:47 PMDropping a set to a lucky loser ranked 138 in the world. Not good. The worst she's played all year.

Its not great, but what is admirable she looks like she is going to fight her way through. Their are plenty of slams where the greats have won where they have been patchy against nobodies but they normally find a way to win thus making them greats.

Broady, Watson and Boulter winning two matches at a slam is pretty cool, shame about Dart but it is what it is.

rjd2

next round for the UK players

Watson v Juvan......Juvan sadly for Watson seems to have clicked this slam but Heather has a small chance.

Broady v Draper/ADM.......ADM should be beating both tbh.

Boulter v Tan,,,,,Very winnable that match for Boulter .

Norrie v Johnson......Norrie isn't great on this surface while Johnson does like it, but Norrie solid fav nonetheless.

selectivememory

Draper looks like he has a lot of potential, but ADM will be a very tricky opponent today.

Quote from: rjd2 on June 30, 2022, 05:41:13 PMIts not great, but what is admirable she looks like she is going to fight her way through. Their are plenty of slams where the greats have won where they have been patchy against nobodies but they normally find a way to win thus making them greats.

Broady, Watson and Boulter winning two matches at a slam is pretty cool, shame about Dart but it is what it is.

Yeah, I think the next match with Cornet will tell us a lot. Definitely a potential banana skin. But she should settle into playing on the grass the more matches she gets this week.

Not really a terrible loss for Dart. Pegula is one of the most consistent players out there at the moment. Delighted for Broady though. Seems like the nicest guy in the sport.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on June 30, 2022, 06:01:37 PMDelighted for Broady though. Seems like the nicest guy in the sport.

I enjoy his on-going 'feud' with Murray on Twitter.

Great win for Boulter. She played well against Sabalenka last year, so glad she's gone a bit further this time.

rjd2

Cressy with his serve and volleying probably losing to Sock after beating FAA is a bit bleak sadly.

selectivememory

The anxious noise of the crowd every time Draper hits a forehand that looks like it's going long before it dips onto the line is hilarious. Felt like every shot in that set point rally he just won.

He's going to be a very good player. Definitely looks like potential top 10 material to me.

shoulders

Quote from: selectivememory on June 30, 2022, 07:45:26 PMThe anxious noise of the crowd every time Draper hits a forehand that looks like it's going long before it dips onto the line is hilarious. Felt like every shot in that set point rally he just won.

He's going to be very good player. Definitely looks like potential top 10 material to me.

Ah wow, seriously? I had him pegged as Jeremy Bates type Wimbledon 3rd rounder.

Deanjam

No idea on Draper's upside. Not seen nearly enough to say. But this is a cracking match.

selectivememory

Quality match innit. Just a perfect contrast of styles really, and both players performing at a high level.

shoulders

I guess Broady won from a more dire position but it feels like Draper isn't coming back from that.

And Schwartzmann is a player who can throw in total stinkers from time to time.

Deanjam

Been all De Minaur since the tie break, but that's one break back for Draper. See if he can hold serve.

Deanjam

I do wish the BBC would fuck off keep changing the channel mid match.