Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Is the Craig Brown Beatles book any good? Only 2.99 on kindle

IsavedLatin

Quote from: pigamus on February 18, 2022, 06:16:03 PMIs the Craig Brown Beatles book any good? Only 2.99 on kindle

After quite a mean-spirited start, I found it very satisfying indeed. Definitely worth three quid!

pigamus

jamiefairlie

Quote from: IsavedLatin on February 19, 2022, 12:13:52 AMAfter quite a mean-spirited start, I found it very satisfying indeed. Definitely worth three quid!

"We'll I for one am really glad that John and George got in grave"

It's bold.

jenna appleseed

McCartney wearing a John&Yoko Live in Toronto tribute shirt there?

SteveDave

Quote from: pigamus on February 18, 2022, 06:16:03 PMIs the Craig Brown Beatles book any good? Only 2.99 on kindle

Nope. He's read some other books that mention the Beatles and has c+p'd them into his. He also goes to Liverpool so he can be sniffy towards the National Trust and people having a great time at the Beatle Weekend. There's also a LOT of chapters about him growing up in the sixties in a boarding school which should've told me all I needed to know. The man's a cunt of the highest order.

lb99

I really enjoyed it - definitely worth £2.99.

timebug

As a total Beatles fan who grew up with them (as it were!) I was lent the Craig Brown book recently. It's a pile of shit. Don't bother, at £2.99 it is approximately £2.99 too much!

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on February 15, 2022, 05:54:15 PMAmazingly off the mark, you think John Lennon never expressed something essential to himself through his music? That George Harrison never did?

Yeah I don't think I captured what I meant clearly. It was less lyrically and more musically I meant. My favourite bands all have a core musical identity which captures and expresses a key element in their character. I can't imagine those bands trying out a jazz song or a show song or a southern rock song because it doesn't fit with their core musical identity. The Beatles did do this all through their career, like trying on new musical clothes. It's admirable in a way, showing their desire to learn and grow but it also highlights their interests in being technical musicians/composers.

gilbertharding

Quote from: timebug on February 24, 2022, 09:06:20 AMAs a total Beatles fan who grew up with them (as it were!) I was lent the Craig Brown book recently. It's a pile of shit. Don't bother, at £2.99 it is approximately £2.99 too much!

I liked it. I mean, as a Craig Brown book it's very good. I guess as a Beatles book it comes up a bit short.

I liked the bits where he encountered tour guides in Liverpool and Hamburg.

I also liked his Princess Margaret book - his musing on the length of John Bindon's penis almost took on the properties of a Stewart Lee routine.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 24, 2022, 04:26:48 PMYeah I don't think I captured what I meant clearly. It was less lyrically and more musically I meant. My favourite bands all have a core musical identity which captures and expresses a key element in their character. I can't imagine those bands trying out a jazz song or a show song or a southern rock song because it doesn't fit with their core musical identity. The Beatles did do this all through their career, like trying on new musical clothes. It's admirable in a way, showing their desire to learn and grow but it also highlights their interests in being technical musicians/composers.

That's true up to around 1966 but only McCartney really does that consistently from then on. George is transformed by the Maharishi's influence and John learns from Yoko that he should always be himself, not play a character. There are obviously exceptions where Lennon needs some filler so goes back to music hall type composing (Mean Mr Mustard, Polythene Pam) but the songs he values are all personal (Strawberry Fields, Across The Universe, Julia) and Harrison faffs around with 'I Me Mine' because he's under pressure in the Get Back month.

SteveDave

Is there a bootleg with every complete recording of the 1969/"Get Back" sessions? Not everything from every day, just one where someone's gone through those and picked out the best/complete takes of songs?

bgmnts

Yeah i've seen some clips of the new docco and it looks okay, and this is from someone who thinks there are about 6 good Beatles songs (admittedly Yesterday is one of the most beautiful songs ever written).

Replies From View

Quote from: SteveDave on June 24, 2022, 11:44:46 AMIs there a bootleg with every complete recording of the 1969/"Get Back" sessions? Not everything from every day, just one where someone's gone through those and picked out the best/complete takes of songs?

The best/complete takes of songs are on the compiled 'Get Back' and 'Let it Be' albums really.  The sessions are for people who want a deep dive and don't mind some repetition for the sake of witnessing song evolution.

studpuppet

Quote from: SteveDave on June 24, 2022, 11:44:46 AMIs there a bootleg with every complete recording of the 1969/"Get Back" sessions? Not everything from every day, just one where someone's gone through those and picked out the best/complete takes of songs?

You could try 'Nagra Gold' which came out a couple of years back. It's sort of what you're looking for:

QuoteThis is a new collection of re-edited material from the Nagra tapes (Get Back sessions of January 1969). It marks the 50th anniversary of the sessions.

All tracks have been edited to cover up errors, repair break-downs and deliver the music as a set of complete, presentable performances. Songs are topped and tailed, those annoying camera bleeps erased, and good but fragmented sections of songs stitched back together to create whole, flowing performances.

The tracks are sequenced in order of recording, so we start on the morning of day 1 - with just John and George strumming through their new material - and continue through the various twists and turns of the sessions, George's absence, on to the rooftop gig, and the very end of proceedings on January 31.

There are a total of 171 tracks in the collection, spanning 20 working days, and every track is identified and explained in the 100-page booklet, which also includes a selection of images from the exact times the songs were being recorded.

And - as an added attraction - disc 7 contains a Beatles rehearsal album called "Sleep of the Beatles", which was found buried in the Nagra rubble - you can now hear it properly, for the first time.

Available here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AU7zj1A8e4AQFekJZ7UlhsjQZdgcbRs-

daf

SteveDave

Quote from: studpuppet on July 01, 2022, 09:15:06 PMYou could try 'Nagra Gold' which came out a couple of years back. It's sort of what you're looking for:

Available here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AU7zj1A8e4AQFekJZ7UlhsjQZdgcbRs-

Thank you!

famethrowa

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 28, 2022, 02:43:35 PMRevolver remix and Deluxe set coming out:

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/beatles-revolver-deluxe-remix-next-up-box-set-fall-giles-martin-1235351400/

Oh fuck off Giles Martin, you company man, who made you the gatekeeper of what we're supposed to want? "Oh I reckon Revolver would be so much better if it sounded completely fuckin' different." Ever heard of the saying "it is what it is"? Nope, go milk that cash cow some more, junior.

the science eel

Rich Uncle Skeleton

so what's the party line this time? a stereo mix that's actually listenable on headphones or a hard panned nightmare because Apple think they should appease idiots who buy something that says new mix yet get upset that it sounds different to the original that still fucking exists and they can listen to any time they want?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

on a less whiney note, a new edition of that book Recording The Beatles will be back in print in 2023 apparently!

Proactive

Quote from: famethrowa on August 28, 2022, 02:54:14 PMOh fuck off Giles Martin, you company man, who made you the gatekeeper of what we're supposed to want? "Oh I reckon Revolver would be so much better if it sounded completely fuckin' different." Ever heard of the saying "it is what it is"? Nope, go milk that cash cow some more, junior.

I for one think his mixes are fucking incredible and I can't wait for this one, so *blows raspberry*

daf

Hope he brings up Ringo's drums in 'Got To Get You Into My Life' - he's barely audible on the original (seems to be mostly tambourine!).

Also the drums are pushed right down in 'She Said She Said' due to the huge amounts of compression used - fix that please mate!

the science eel

Quote from: the science eel on August 28, 2022, 04:01:51 PMThere are NO REVOLVER OUTTAKES

actually there's the stoned 'And Your Bird....', isn't there?

markburgle

Yeah there's also alternates of "...Bird..." and "Hear There n Everywhere", those are just the ones I know about.

daf

They could run all the tracks backwards - like those Stone Roses B-sides.

Ant Farm Keyboard

For a good source on the content of the boxset...

CD2: Sessions
01. Tomorrow Never Knows (Take 1)
02. Tomorrow Never Knows (Mono Mix RM 11)
03. Got To Get You Into My Life (First Version/ Take 5)
04. Got To Get You Into My Life (2nd Version/ Unnumbered Mix)
05. Got To Get You Into My Life (2nd Version)
06. Love You To (Take 1)
07. Love You To (Unnumbered Rehearsal)
08. Love You To (Take 7)
09. Paperback Writer (Takes 1 & 2/Backing Track)
10. Rain (Take 5)
11. Rain (Take 5/Slowed Down)
12. Doctor Robert (Take 7)
13. And Your Bird Can Sing (First Version/Take 2)
14. And Your Bird Can Sing (First Version/ Take 2/ Giggling)

CD3: Sessions
01. And Your Bird Can Sing (2nd Version/Take 5)
02. Taxman (Take 11)
03. I'm Only Sleeping (Rehearsal Fragment)
04. I'm Only Sleeping (Take 2)
05. I'm Only Sleeping (Take 5)
06. I'm Only Sleeping (Mono Mix RM11)
07. Eleanor Rigby (Speech Before Take 2)
08. Eleanor Rigby (Take 2)
09. For No One (Take 10/Backing Track)
10. Yellow Submarine (Songwriting Work Tape/ Part 1)
11. Yellow Submarine (Songwriting Work Tape/ Part 1)
12. Yellow Submarine (Take 4 Before Sound Effects)
13. Yellow Submarine (Highlighted Sound Effects)
14. I Want To Tell You (Speech & Take 4)
15. Here, There And Everywhere (Take 6)
16. She Said She Said (John's Demo)
17. She Said She Said (Take 1/Backing Track)

CD4: 2022 Mono Transfer of original tape

CD5: Bonus EP
01. Paperback Writer (2022 Stereo)
02. Rain (2022 Stereo)
03. Paperback Writer (Mono)
04. Rain (Mono)

No multichannel version, or Blu-ray or DVD included on that version. No alternate take for "Good Day Sunshine".

daf

Another 4-track disc!

I know it's due to having everything configured for vinyl, but it seems a bit stupid when they could have just added them to the sessions CDs!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: famethrowa on August 28, 2022, 02:54:14 PMOh fuck off Giles Martin, you company man, who made you the gatekeeper of what we're supposed to want? "Oh I reckon Revolver would be so much better if it sounded completely fuckin' different." Ever heard of the saying "it is what it is"? Nope, go milk that cash cow some more, junior.

I agree with you.  I wouldn't say no to a Carnival Of Light remix though!