Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:34:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Travez

Quote from: Stigdu on June 23, 2022, 07:58:35 AMDavid Brent has almost zero fans on the Cook'd and Bomb'd forum, but I really don't think he cares.

There are a lot of things that David Brent  from the Office doesn't care about. For example, insulting people with learning difficulties, their friends and families.

Of course, David Brent from the Office is a rich and successful man, and is not obliged to care about anything except whatever it is that keeps the money rolling in. But fame, wealth and success are not the only metrics on which someone can be judged, and having those things does not grant one immunity from criticism if one has a fucked-up moral code.

Stigdu

Quote from: Ray Travez on June 27, 2022, 04:16:59 PMThere are a lot of things that David Brent  from the Office doesn't care about. For example, insulting people with learning difficulties, their friends and families.

Of course, David Brent from the Office is a rich and successful man, and is not obliged to care about anything except whatever it is that keeps the money rolling in. But fame, wealth and success are not the only metrics on which someone can be judged, and having those things does not grant one immunity from criticism if one has a fucked-up moral code.

So, nothing from the other guy's list then? Amazing.

Goldentony

imagine a house key appearing at his navel and splitting all the way up to his chin from the inside out and a load of growling angry hair climbing out

Utter Shit

It comes across like you're surprised that Gervais is unpopular on a comedy forum. Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick on this point, but if not I'm baffled as to why.

He's made some brilliant comedy in the past, but has spent the past twenty years knocking out the laziest rubbish - and revelling in how lazy it is - while being as obnoxious about the nature of comedy, and as dismissive of comedy fans (unless they like his stuff), as possible.

The best you can reasonably expect from a forum of comedy nerds is that they'd be frustrated that he's no longer trying to make anything good.  If you're less charitable, he's treating the art that so many people on this forum love so much, and treating it with disdain. So of course he's unpopular on here - even aside from the fact that he's gradually outed himself as a cunt more generally, he's everything that a comedy nerd would and should hate.

He's a lazy, downward-punching, obnoxious hack who treats the art with no respect. He has no obligation to treat it with respect of course, but it's completely obvious why he would be hated by the majority of comedy nerds, isn't it?

Stigdu

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 27, 2022, 04:32:21 PMIt comes across like you're surprised that Gervais is unpopular on a comedy forum. Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick on this point, but if not I'm baffled as to why.

He's made some brilliant comedy in the past, but has spent the past twenty years knocking out the laziest rubbish - and revelling in how lazy it is - while being as obnoxious about the nature of comedy, and as dismissive of comedy fans (unless they like his stuff), as possible.

The best you can reasonably expect from a forum of comedy nerds is that they'd be frustrated that he's no longer trying to make anything good.  If you're less charitable, he's treating the art that so many people on this forum love so much, and treating it with disdain. So of course he's unpopular on here - even aside from the fact that he's gradually outed himself as a cunt more generally, he's everything that a comedy nerd would and should hate.

He's a lazy, downward-punching, obnoxious hack who treats the art with no respect. He has no obligation to treat it with respect of course, but it's completely obvious why he would be hated by the majority of comedy nerds, isn't it?

No, not surprised at all. I know (since a few weeks ago when I felt like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas and the entire population of the Ricky Gervais discussion thread were jumping on me like "WHY IS RICKY GERVAIS FUNNY?? WHAT THE *FUCK* IS SO FUNNY ABOUT HIM??") most people on here think like that. I'm not trying to persuade anyone otherwise. Not everyone on the planet thinks like that, though (as I'm sure you're obviously also aware).   :)

Utter Shit

Quote from: Stigdu on June 27, 2022, 04:46:14 PMNo, not surprised at all. I know (since a few weeks ago when I felt like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas and the entire population of the Ricky Gervais discussion thread were jumping on me like "WHY IS RICKY GERVAIS FUNNY?? WHAT THE *FUCK* IS SO FUNNY ABOUT HIM??") most people on here think like that. I'm not trying to persuade anyone otherwise. Not everyone on the planet thinks like that, though (as I'm sure you're obviously also aware).   :)

OK, but this is a comedy forum, full of nerds with a love of comedy and particular ideas of what good comedy is. There has to be a reason why a group of disparate people who all have different comedic interests have all (or almost all) arrived at the thought that Gervais is dreadful, doesn't there?

phes

Quote from: Stigdu on June 27, 2022, 04:46:14 PMthe entire population of the Ricky Gervais discussion thread were jumping on me like "WHY IS RICKY GERVAIS FUNNY?? WHAT THE *FUCK* IS SO FUNNY ABOUT HIM??") most people on here think like that.

This is bollocks mate.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 27, 2022, 04:55:06 PMOK, but this is a comedy forum, full of nerds with a love of comedy and particular ideas of what good comedy is. There has to be a reason why a group of disparate people who all have different comedic interests have all (or almost all) arrived at the thought that Gervais is dreadful, doesn't there?

Mate it's just funny have a laqer and a wank.

Stigdu

Quote from: phes on June 27, 2022, 05:00:21 PMThis is bollocks mate.

OK, a slightly hyperbolic observation but it happened nonetheless. I took a week off from here as I had people calling me a troll and others calling for people to block me. Was pretty depressing, to be honest.

Hey - I'm sure he must have his detractors - don't we all - but he makes me laugh, and I appreciate the stuff he does for animal charities. If people want to call him a cunt, then that's their prerogative!

Sorry - was supposed to be quoting two different people there but not sure how to do it.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Stigdu on June 27, 2022, 05:13:19 PMOK, a slightly hyperbolic observation but it happened nonetheless. I took a week off from here as I had people calling me a troll and others calling for people to block me. Was pretty depressing, to be honest.

Perhaps an insight into how others must feel when a celebrity is given millions of dollars and a global platform to insult and belittle them.

Stigdu

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 27, 2022, 05:20:04 PMPerhaps an insight into how others must feel when a celebrity is given millions of dollars and a global platform to insult and belittle them.

Perhaps. Although to be fair, I'm not rich, a celebrity, nor have I been given a global platform. I did feel quite belittled, though. Anyway, moving on...

QDRPHNC

Jake Thingray

I wonder what views Stigdu has on performers who were frequently reviled on here almost as much as Gervais at the same time, such as Julia Davis and the whole wave of self-consciously "dark" comedy (Nighty Night was fawned over by much the same sections of the media who'd just stopped banging on about The Office), Richard Ayoade and the Garth Merenghi's Darkplace lot, dislike of whom on here dated back to their remarkably entitled and immodest attitude when still in the Cambridge Footlights; and the Mighty Boosh (also Noble and Silver, who never made it).

Jake Thingray

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 27, 2022, 05:03:03 PMMate it's just funny have a laqer and a wank.

I should have included Balls of Steel.

Stigdu

Quote from: Jake Thingray on June 27, 2022, 06:16:45 PMI wonder what views Stigdu has on performers who were frequently reviled on here almost as much as Gervais at the same time, such as Julia Davis and the whole wave of self-consciously "dark" comedy (Nighty Night was fawned over by much the same sections of the media who'd just stopped banging on about The Office), Richard Ayoade and the Garth Merenghi's Darkplace lot, dislike of whom on here dated back to their remarkably entitled and immodest attitude when still in the Cambridge Footlights; and the Mighty Boosh (also Noble and Silver, who never made it).

I couldn't really answer you, I'm afraid... I know who Julia Davis is, but haven't seen her in anything I can remember. I've never seen Darkplace. I know Ayoade from The I.T. Crowd, but that's the only thing I've seen him in (and yeah, I think it's quite funny but not brilliant). I've not seen The Mighty Boosh either. I'm afraid I don't watch much TV at all. Like literally 2 or 3 programmes a year.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Stigdu on June 27, 2022, 05:13:19 PMHey - I'm sure he must have his detractors - don't we all - but he makes me laugh, and I appreciate the stuff he does for animal charities. If people want to call him a cunt, then that's their prerogative!

My instincts are to be on your side and let you have your say but you're even starting to test my patience now with this. What does the above even mean? It's so nothingy. We get it, some people like Gervais, some people are rightly sick of him. Let's move on and actually have a discussion with some interesting points.

I prefer your dad joke about squeezing into a small child's anus presumably with your penis.

madhair60

fucking hell is this cunt still going?

Ray Travez

Quote from: Stigdu on June 27, 2022, 04:23:06 PMSo, nothing from the other guy's list then? Amazing.

I reply to whatever points interest me enough to comment, as does anyone else. Your logic appears to be, I should reply to someone else's post because I've psychically anticipated that that is what you are truly interested in. Can you see the flaw in this?

Your two-line sarcastic reply to a reasoned argument makes me think that you're not worth engaging with.

However, since you requested it, here is something from, as you put it, "the other guy's list"-

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 23, 2022, 04:34:24 AMDavid Brent from the Office is an emotionally stunted edgelord ranting unfunnily before Ali G came on

And here is my comment-

"I agree."

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Stigdu on June 27, 2022, 04:23:06 PMSo, nothing from the other guy's list then? Amazing.

HOW FUCKING DARE YOU ASSUME MY GENDER GET THE HERETIC BURN HIM

EDIT: it has been pointed out to me that I have the male gender symbol in my profile but, hand on heart, I genuinely thought that was supposed to be a quest marker.

g0m

yeah, the quest is up and to the right

idunnosomename

just waiting for this thread to end so i can watch the Ali G interview

Genuinely think this and and the glinner thread should be banned and deleted.

It only brings out the worst in people.

I remember when this place were all fields, and we'd slag off 22 year old girls just starting out in comedy.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on February 15, 2013, 01:32:48 AMI remember when this forum used to moan about comedy.

You've come full circle!

Haha fuck a duck! What do I do now? Start again?

Replies From View

Quote from: g0m on June 28, 2022, 12:07:29 AMyeah, the quest is up and to the right

proof that every penis is a Tory

The Bumlord

BritishHobo

I came across a clip from After Life the other day of a theatre director doing some shtick about playing disabled people. Talking about Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot, and not knowing "what was up with him", and a Rain Man reference. I was staggered just how fucking creaky and dated it all felt. Such lazy, reheated shit, it shows Gervais' total lack of evolution or imagination.

DigForVictory

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 29, 2022, 11:33:36 PMI came across a clip from After Life the other day of a theatre director doing some shtick about playing disabled people. Talking about Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot, and not knowing "what was up with him", and a Rain Man reference. I was staggered just how fucking creaky and dated it all felt. Such lazy, reheated shit, it shows Gervais' total lack of evolution or imagination.

Fucking hell really? 30 year old references, maybe even longer.

Gervais genuinely hasn't evolved at all, he's still stuck in about 2003. And they would have been creaky mega old cliched references even then.

Replies From View

As a man in tune with the times, Ricky Gervais is like that scene in Red Dwarf series 8 (broadcast in 1999) where everyone comes on in slow motion dressed as Dwayne Dibbley and the Reservoir Dog music cuts in.

Rob1969in

sorry if this is the wrong thread but I can't seem to reply on the After life season 3 one... but this fella has done another review .