Glebe
45381 Posts

Buelligan
41523 Posts

NoSleep
33122 Posts

Jemble Fred
30627 Posts

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2022, 01:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

Quote from: Replies From View on May 12, 2022, 06:30:31 PMThe dynamic was always Gervais + Merchant calling Pilkington an idiot.

I don't think it was simple as that. I seem to remember that Merchant would frequently castigate Gervais for interrupting Pilkington and not letting him finish a thought. And I think he did get genuinely annoyed by Karl's pathological reluctance to expand his horizons - rather than just overegging how 'thick' he was the way Gervais did.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 12, 2022, 04:11:52 PM

Wow, if people didn't like his envelope-pushing maverick style before, this photo will surely convince any doubters. How much more subversive could you get? The answer is none. None more subversive.

I spotted the below magazine cover on the shelves a few months ago. As you can see from the photo, he is clearly a genius because you see he's a comedian, but he's not even smiling. In fact, he is promoting a show about death, which is sad, and you can see he's sad there because of the facial expression and the shadows, so it really must be an astonishing work of crymedy and not the load of mawkish bollocks I assumed it was after seeing a few clips.

(^ For a split second I thought the magazine was called DEREK, but alas not)

RicoMNKN

Stewart Lee has noticed the theft...
https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/plagiarists-corner/

QuoteNearly twenty years on and Gervais' act is still made out of bits of my old stuff, either verbatim, or re-jigged and retooled for his own evil alt-right-light purposes. I didn't realise asking if I could quote his praise of me on a poster seventeen years ago meant I had entered a Faustian pact.

Old Nehamkin

I don't agree
Quote from: mr. logic on May 12, 2022, 06:23:50 PMThis certainly wasn't true in the XFM podcasts. Merchant routinely pointed out that Gervais was trying to engineer that with Pilkington as the Hammond figure.

Yeah, I would say that Merchant was generally more than capable of standing his ground against Gervais whether or not Karl was involved. He would frequently call out/undermine/take the piss out of Gervais over all sorts of things on those XFM shows. He was far from a spineless, obseqious yes-man.

Replies From View

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on May 12, 2022, 10:06:02 PM

(^ For a split second I thought the magazine was called DEREK, but alas not)

DREK

petril

checkoutgirl

Coincidentally I was just thinking yesterday that any singer that wears a pair of wings for any reason (Justin Bieber, Pink etc) is almost certainly not going to be worthy of any kind of serious consideration. So Gervais wearing wings is actually quite appropriate.

Imagine being a Gervais fan and having to come up with excuses for why these innumerable photo sessions in embarrassing poses and get ups are somehow acceptable.

The chubby funster just can't seem to resist the urge to play dress up and smolder into the lens. A hangover from his new romantic days in the early eighties when doing that was most of the job, perhaps.

Blue Jam

Those photos remind me of stuff I posted in the old Phwoargh thread, things like this:

and this:

Never posted these, but these too:

...except all these other comedy peeps look cool as fuck, like they're not taking themselves seriously and not even trying to look cool, or sexy, or make a profound statement, or whatever. They're sure as hell not smouldering into the lens either. Gervais really never could get away with this. Why is that?