Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:56:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Quote from: frajer on May 23, 2022, 04:56:13 PMIkea Grief Bench

Incidentally, anyone seen the trailer for Brian and Charles, screenplay by David Earl

https://youtu.be/G9c59MAYYZM

Earl surely responsible for CaB favourite Robot Grief Dog

g0m

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 23, 2022, 09:07:10 PMIt's on tomorrow, how about a god old CAB watchalong?

We all have plans that day

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 23, 2022, 09:07:10 PMIt's on tomorrow, how about a god old CAB watchalong?

Oooooh Are Ricky wouldn't like that

Ferris

TommyTurnips

I put a party hat on my local Afterlife bench with the words "cum guzzler" on it in felt tip pen. It's what Gervais would have wanted. #kindnessismagic

mippy

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 23, 2022, 03:06:04 PMThe Christ on a Mic one confuses me (not in a feelings way) because he seems to be going for a sexy/sultry/coquettish look more than an ironic and iconic look. I can imagine someone like Stephen Fry's character in It's a Sin clapping and saying "oh bravo. yes that's very good" and then fucking him.

Is it not ripping off this

Ferris

But that's st Sebastian/Boromir from those films, not Muhammad Ali.

None of this makes sense.

manychemicals

Dark Web Snooker Player ready to take O'Sullivan's crown.

phes

ngl will be fairly upset if they've paid for Cerrone

Blue Jam

Quote from: manychemicals on May 24, 2022, 07:25:04 AM

Dark Web Snooker Player ready to take O'Sullivan's crown.

Derke Web

poodlefaker

When he's not wearing black t-shirt, supermarket jeans, black trainers his clothes sense seems to head straight into Jay Rayner/Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen territory.

mippy

Ste221
30 May 2019 16:58

I went to the show last night and the paying audience thoroughly enjoyed it. I would give it a solid 4 stars. If you like Ricky Gervais you would be happy with the content. Multiple announcements were given that latecomers would be held for at least 10 minutes before being allowed entry. The warnings about photography were enforced and the bars were closed when the main act was on stage. The relative lack of audience movement and the lack of camera phones improved the experience.

The Mollusk

Lol at the comment on that article sincerely saying it's time that people like this who dismantle benches are deported.

The Mollusk

Quote from: mippy on May 24, 2022, 08:46:55 AMSte221

I went to the show last night and the paying audience thoroughly enjoyed it. I would give it a solid 4 stars. If you like Ricky Gervais you would be happy with the content. Multiple announcements were given that latecomers would be held for at least 10 minutes before being allowed entry. The warnings about photography were enforced and the bars were closed when the main act was on stage. The relative lack of audience movement and the lack of camera phones improved the experience.

That is the most bleak and sterile review/experience ever.

frajer

Quote from: mippy on May 24, 2022, 08:46:55 AMIf you like Ricky Gervais you would be happy with the content.

Potential new poster quote for Stewart Lee.

BritishHobo

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 24, 2022, 08:58:24 AMLol at the comment on that article sincerely saying it's time that people like this who dismantle benches are deported.

This is what gets me about Ricky. I wouldn't doubt that he's pro-immigration and would think that sentiment is stupid; but he seems completely blind to the fact that he's cultivated an audience of people who would think exactly that.

The Mollusk

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 24, 2022, 09:11:08 AMThis is what gets me about Ricky. I wouldn't doubt that he's pro-immigration and would think that sentiment is stupid; but he seems completely blind to the fact that he's cultivated an audience of people who would think exactly that.

Yeh it's deffo been said before in these threads (most likely by yourself, really rate your posts highly btw) but it is worth noting/repeating that Gervais has never actively made any effort to set himself apart from these sorts of people. He might be a shit hack comedian but he's not stupid, he obviously knows he's gone too far peddling this "ahh I'm being ironic! Or am I?!" bollocks and cashing in on it hard that he can't bring himself to break away from it.

He could well have used promo spots for After Life as a vehicle for endorsing some serious good in the world - yes, the show itself would still be a dog egg but imagine if he'd gone into interviews saying "the overall message is to be kind, because there's so much hate in the world, so many bigoted racist Brexiteering prejudiced people, and so many marginalised groups, non-white people, non-cisgendered people, non-males even, and if my [unmitigated waves of banal turd] show After Life helps spread just a bit of the message to take time and understand and empathise our fellow humans, well then that's a good thing isn't it?"

But he won't do that. Why would he? He's getting paid a shitload to wheel out the most mawkish, blinkered sentiments, so why rock the boat? Just fucking rake it in Ricky lad, you don't need to try.

I'm not saying After Life is telly for idiots - my mum and my dad are both lovely intelligent sane-minded people and they love it - but a lot of idiots watch it. And then when Ricky gets on stage for another comedy special and starts going off on women with a cheeky wink that's as much saying "Only joking!" as it is saying "But I might as well not be!", it's just chucking logs on what should be a dying fire of idiots cultivating ignorant and hateful opinions.

So thanks for that Ricky.

phes

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 24, 2022, 09:11:08 AMThis is what gets me about Ricky. I wouldn't doubt that he's pro-immigration and would think that sentiment is stupid; but he seems completely blind to the fact that he's cultivated an audience of people who would think exactly that.

You're mistaking Ricky Gervais for someone who cares about anything apart from spunkin' on dogs

Cuellar

Quote"I knew about the bench - I think it's disgusting, totally disgusting. I wonder what goes through people's heads, honestly. What is the need to do that?"

I quite agree.

The Mollusk

Bench had one day left till retirement

checkoutgirl

Quote from: mippy on May 24, 2022, 08:46:55 AMSte221

There were 700 people in attendance. Fire exits were at the sides and rear or the building. A 15 minute intermission was observed 45 minutes into the performance. No pets were allowed.

7/10

idunnosomename

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 24, 2022, 10:25:13 AMRicky Gervais - Supernature trans joke

controversy and offense aside, this is fucking piss poor. Its just the sort of thing any alt-right cunt on twitter would say. Hahaha pronouns!!! Hahaha RAPE

The Mollusk

Stomach churning stuff, genuinely. What a horrible, ignorant person.

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 24, 2022, 10:55:52 AMcontroversy and offense aside, this is fucking piss poor. Its just the sort of thing any alt-right cunt on twitter would say. Hahaha pronouns!!! Hahaha RAPE

Yeah, comedically it's pretty lazy.

idunnosomename

Perhaps your Netflix bench can IDENTIFY as a bench that isnt fuckin broken!!!!! Haha loser

Blue Jam

Quote from: g0m on May 23, 2022, 10:51:42 PMWe all have plans that day

Yeah, I'm actually very busy today. Made time for BCS but this can fuck right off.

Barry Admin

Poor old Louis CK, couldn't just say sorry and then be allowed to move on.

Except he's touring again isn't he, so I'm not sure what Gervais is on about. 

And where is this "woke comedy"? 

buttgammon

Whinging carries a lot less weight when you're literally being paid tens of millions of pounds to do it.

idunnosomename

Holy SHIT ricjy gerbail is an ATHEIST?!?!

https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1529009304656744449

Outrageous. What an independent mind

Kelvin

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 24, 2022, 11:36:27 AMAnd where is this "woke comedy"? 

Bo Burnham's Inside was the best comedy show I've watched in years, and that was arguably "woke comedy", stuff about being problematic, privileged etc. Sets the bar far higher than these outdated pub bores.

EDIT: Actually, Bazza, I can't remember from the "Inside" thread whether you said you had watched it, but you will love that show if you haven't. It's like a comedy special tailor-made for you.