Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Yeah you got to really. They probably prop up the entire ecosystem in some way so have to give them a chance.

I had no idea that agar had bee healing properties so cheers I'll remember that!

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: madhair60 on July 09, 2022, 11:18:25 PMjust saw this

careful. that fox'll be after yer chips if you give it half a chance.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 11, 2022, 12:56:33 PMWindowsill nesting doves update: successful after all.  I have tried to keep out of their way as much as is sensibly possible.

The second egg arrived the following day

and this pair of dinosaurs arrived last weekend.

Once they've fledged and fully departed the creeper is being cut back...

don't want to alarm anyone but i've have it on good authority that Shiftwork has been looking up recipes for pigeon pie

purlieu

Quote from: bgmnts on July 11, 2022, 01:28:58 PMWhat's the consensus on moths in your bedroom? I currently have about 4 or 5 just chilling. They won't fuck anything up will they?
There are a couple of species with caterpillars that eat cotton and such, the rest are fine. Try and get them outside if you can, so they can find food and a mate and such. I hate finding creatures indoors, can't help feeling they'll just end up dying there.

Loving the collared doves, shiftwork! Such timid birds, you've been incredibly lucky. Here's hoping they make it through and fledge!

king_tubby

We've got carpet moths currently and the hippy safe spray doesn't seem to be killing the rug munching little bastards so I hate every moth I see, from Mothra to, er Killer Moth.

'Oooh, get the nice high wool % carpets she said, that'll be nice, she said'

hermitical

This family were a couple of metres from my desk, the youngsters have now fledged

bgmnts

Quote from: purlieu on July 11, 2022, 08:22:38 PMThere are a couple of species with caterpillars that eat cotton and such, the rest are fine. Try and get them outside if you can, so they can find food and a mate and such. I hate finding creatures indoors, can't help feeling they'll just end up dying there.

They buggered off themselves today actually. Good on them.

Gurke and Hare

The house martins are concentrating their feeding over the downstairs flat's garden today, it's great. Constant fly-pasts just outside my window.

Quote from: purlieu on July 11, 2022, 08:22:38 PMLoving the collared doves, shiftwork! Such timid birds...
That's what I assumed because, you know, dove of peace and that, but we get loads in our garden and on several occasions I've seen them bossing pigeons and even magpies. Lovely looking birds but can't say I'm a fan of that screeching noise they make as they land.

purlieu

Timid around people, at least.
Also, I love their flight call!

Yes, they take flight at my slightest movement when I shift position to look at them. Unlike the increasingly bold blackbird, who will let me get to within a couple of feet before he legs it.

And I like the coo-coo-coo noise of the collared doves but the harsh screech they also make is less easy to love.

shiftwork2

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 11, 2022, 12:56:33 PMOnce they've fledged and fully departed the creeper is being cut back...

Windowsill doves update #2

After 2 weeks in the nest and some impressive growth the youngsters are looking outwards with lively interest.  Should be fledged by Wednesday.

Parental visits are now pretty rare but they're close by.  Any nearby bird larger than a dove that comes close gets sent packing toot sweet, but smaller birds don't appear to bother them.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: king_tubby on July 11, 2022, 08:29:39 PMWe've got carpet moths currently and the hippy safe spray doesn't seem to be killing the rug munching little bastards so I hate every moth I see, from Mothra to, er Killer Moth.

'Oooh, get the nice high wool % carpets she said, that'll be nice, she said'

Clothes moths rank amongst the very few of nature's creatures I find it hard to have a soft spot for but moths with such pestilential behaviours make up but one or two of the UKs approx 2.5 thousand species of moth. So but harsh to tar the rest of the good lads in that basis.

shiftwork2

Windowsill doves #3

Lots of parading up and down the windowsill (knocking my camera over, cheers) and wing fluttering.

It's day 15 and fledging seems to be imminent.  Come on dove dudes.

I also want my window back

Spoon of Ploff

met a fox this morning. it appears to have let itself go

I've heard them in the trees but this is the first time I've seen one of the resident jackdaws visit the feeder. Also, I'm not much of a birdwatcher but I'm pretty sure I saw a wagtail (pied?) in my garden yesterday (it kept wagging its tail). I'm sure they're probably pretty common but it's the first time I've knowingly seen one in our garden.

Brian Freeze

If it was black and white with plenty of tail bobbing (and you are 100% sure it wasnt a magpie) - you can be pretty confident its a pied wagtail.

Here's the photo of the four frogs in the pond.

Its a terrible photo but someone might want to waste five minutes looking for them?

I've checked online and I'm as sure as I can be that it was a pied wagtail.

I've found all four frogs. Do I win a prize?

Spoon of Ploff

Need to find my specs i can only see three

Oops! In my eagerness to show how eagle-eyed I am I misidentified a twig as a frog.

Brian Freeze

Very good Mr Voltan, help yourself to a biscuit from the jar and you may have the morning off to do some colouring.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: bgmnts on July 11, 2022, 01:43:23 PMI had no idea that agar had bee healing properties so cheers I'll remember that!

Sorry @bgmnts I meant agave - just in case you have been out healing bees but with little success.

Fishfinger

Love the foxy, jackdaw and frogs.

Fishfinger

Garden still dominated by starlings, with other recurrent players being a massive crow, couple of magpies, diminishing numbers of goldfinches, small numbers of blue tits, wood pigeons, sparrows and robins. Stopped putting standard seed out maybe a year ago due to rats, but the sparrows in particular seem to have adapted to eating the shit out of everything else anyway: mostly peanuts and nyger seed (the waste from which falls onto a bird table underneath and gets eaten up).

Miss the hedgehogs who abruptly showed up last August, were around for a couple of weeks and vanished when next door did some landscaping.

dissolute ocelot

Rare for such a shy bird, I saw 5 wrens all near each other, must have been just kicked out of the nest. Most in woodland but one had ventured onto a nearby field. Each one scarpered before I could photograph it.

Also seen incredibly loud and obnoxious jackdaws and oystercatchers, so I suspect it's annoying teenage bird season. Even the cygnets have turned into fearless bastards trying to get food off anyone approaching.

Ferris

Saw a fucking huge bee in the garden yesterday evening, size of the thing; christ!

...After a minute of my eyes adjusting, I realized it was an actual hummingbird. Watched it whizz about for 10 minutes or so, entirely unbothered by me.

Tried to get a photo which was a colossal failure, but managed to get a look at it with the binoculars I keep by the door for such an occasion - it was a juvenile ruby throated hummingbird if I'm any judge (I'm not). Zoom right in there and you can see its beak (facing left) as it goes to town on the wildflowers.

Spoon of Ploff

Little Owl update. Still see two or three of them when I'm out walking. They must be sick of the sight of me by now.

bgmnts

How come all you folk get to see cool shit and all I get are crows and pigeons with the occasional cat?

king_tubby

My son and I went on an organised bat walk at the local park last night. It was ace! We got given bad detectors and detected bats! Mostly pipistrelles, I believe.