Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 24, 2022, 11:47:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Francis Viper Higgins

Started by Depressed Beyond Tables, November 04, 2018, 08:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

Live gaming stream now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t85zs5jBEk

Looks pre-edited with sketches. You can rewind to the start. He did a some comedy stuff with RT a while back, will post later.

magval

Irish comedians get very little coverage on here. McSavage, Hardy Bucks, Rubberbandits, Bridget and Eamon etc.

It's very hard to see any of that stuff outside of Ireland to be fair. Even in the north. RTE doesn't like to release stuff on disc or make it available for international streaming, the bollixes.

But aye, I've been watching this now 20 minutes or so. Higgins is very funny indeed.

Depressed Beyond Tables

A few of those RT clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=207YqHLwquw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opd9C66QS18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5odE8v-o7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os6RIZa8-sk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIV0T720NYU

Quote from: magval on November 04, 2018, 08:41:26 PM
Irish comedians get very little coverage on here. McSavage, Hardy Bucks, Rubberbandits, Bridget and Eamon etc.

It's very hard to see any of that stuff outside of Ireland to be fair. Even in the north. RTE doesn't like to release stuff on disc or make it available for international streaming, the bollixes.

But aye, I've been watching this now 20 minutes or so. Higgins is very funny indeed.

I watched a GTAV stream from months back and it was one of the funniest things ever. Sadly, he took it down/made it private a few days later. It's an alternative to Limmy's often trolling style and if you get the references/colloquialisms it's class stuff altogether.

remedial_gash

Quote from: magval on November 04, 2018, 08:41:26 PM
Irish comedians get very little coverage on here. McSavage, Hardy Bucks, Rubberbandits, Bridget and Eamon etc.

It's very hard to see any of that stuff outside of Ireland to be fair. Even in the north. RTE doesn't like to release stuff on disc or make it available for international streaming, the bollixes.

But aye, I've been watching this now 20 minutes or so. Higgins is very funny indeed.

Maybe because most of them are shit? This is isn't an anti-Irish rant before you 'blow your Cork' - most Welsh comedians are and heavens most saes jokers are fire worthy, plus most Scots too.

Regional coverage should be alloted, like that Sally Phillips (welsh/english) thing, or bags mags rags (quite liked it) I'm going to sound regionally insensitive but sometimes it's bollocks - shit. Mistype but going to leave it in - haven't seen it nor know where to? Fucking I player?



Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: remedial_gash on November 04, 2018, 09:03:39 PM
Maybe because most of them are shit? This is isn't an anti-Irish rant before you 'blow your Cork' - most Welsh comedians are and heavens most saes jokers are fire worthy, plus most Scots too.

Regional coverage should be alloted, like that Sally Phillips (welsh/english) thing, or bags mags rags (quite liked it) I'm going to sound regionally insensitive but sometimes it's bollocks - shit. Mistype but going to leave it in - haven't seen it nor know where to? Fucking I player?

Well it's probably fair to say most of them are shit as most comedians are shit. A small few make it, and an even smaller few appeal.

I think the more important point is, and Limmy has shown, that if you're not prepared to make broader material or tone down your accent, for example, you will receive fewer opportunities, as demonstrated with his ongoing BBC experiences. He's highly regarded by many comedy fans, fellow comedians included, yet is limited to certain avenues - BBC Scotland pretty much being the glass ceiling.


Dog Botherer

The best stuff Higgins has done is still his Modern Warfare 3 vids. "In the name of the father, the son, and the holy ghost, g'luck".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CTYEwX3Etg

I'm pretty certain I have the exact same shirt he wears around somewhere. Doubt it fits me now.

Depressed Beyond Tables


buzby

#8
Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on November 04, 2018, 10:00:24 PM
Optimus Prime has become an alcoholic
Optimus's voice is probably more like Chris Tordoff's original accent there.
I love a bit of Viper/Francis. I did get the impression that World News under RT suffered a bit from editorial line toeing compared to the earlier ones. It's a shame he hasn't gone back to doing them since he got the boot from RT.

Some of the 'non-canon' Francis vids like Schlug9/4 and Santy Money with the phone calls to poor Patin are ace. The newer post RT ones like The Man In The Shed and Mercedes  are great too, but there's been nothing new for 6 months.

From the bits I've seen on youtube, Hardy Bucks seems to owe a lot to Tordoff and Maloney's observations of the Mayo locals from the viewpoint of outsiders (they have said as much in interviews, having both moved to Ireland in their early teens). Their director/co-writer/ producer Mike Cockayne is also an outsider too. Not being Irish, I guess it's seen as pretty accurate/affectionate given how popular it seems to be (less so with Irish Americans, from the reviews I've read).

Cuellar

Oh! This is the guy who did the Mercedes video in the Last Thing That Made You Cry With Laughter thread, which was great. So good on him.

He's not one of these gamergaters is he? I automatically distrust anyone gaming related.

buzby

Quote from: Cuellar on December 03, 2018, 11:02:12 PM
Oh! This is the guy who did the Mercedes video in the Last Thing That Made You Cry With Laughter thread, which was great. So good on him.

He's not one of these gamergaters is he? I automatically distrust anyone gaming related.
He's a character comedian/actor/writer from Co. Mayo via Leeds called Chris Tordoff. The Francis 'Viper' Higgins character started in the Hardy Bucks videos, and also went on to become his regular comedy persona (I don't consider the Viper from his youtube videos to be the same character that appears in Hardy Bucks, from what I've seen of it, anyway)

The older Modern Warfare 3 vids were just an outlet for the Viper character's style of humour. I haven't seen any of his newer livestreams, but I doubt it has anything to do with Gamergate.

Depressed Beyond Tables

No I'm pretty sure he's got nothing to do with gamer gate. Politically speaking he seems to have his head screwed on and stays mainly on the fence so as not to spoil the naivety of the character.

He also seems to be getting his setup together, broadcasting-wise. I expect him to be doing like Limmy soon and going full time online. The only reason I can think of him not leaving the streams up for later viewing is that he feels they're a bit rough right now.

His Viper character is not quite just the petty drug dealer of the TV show anymore. It's more a mixture of that character and oul boy Irish nonsense. Which is great craic altogether if you're at all familiar with that end of things.

Cuellar

I was only semi joking about gamergate, but you never know! They crop up everywhere and my general rule is that anyone internet/youtube famous is probably a cunt.

Enzo

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on December 04, 2018, 08:06:37 PM
No I'm pretty sure he's got nothing to do with gamer gate. Politically speaking he seems to have his head screwed on and stays mainly on the fence so as not to spoil the naivety of the character.

He also seems to be getting his setup together, broadcasting-wise. I expect him to be doing like Limmy soon and going full time online. The only reason I can think of him not leaving the streams up for later viewing is that he feels they're a bit rough right now.

His Viper character is not quite just the petty drug dealer of the TV show anymore. It's more a mixture of that character and oul boy Irish nonsense. Which is great craic altogether if you're at all familiar with that end of things.

I'm Sean Gallagher and I approve this message.

Depressed Beyond Tables



VelourSpirit

Watched all of his videos on YouTube after seeing the Mercedes one. Really love him. Then found out about Hardy Bucks which just happened to have been added to Netflix, enjoying that a lot too. He's hilarious. Streams are the best streams I've watched too, love the aesthetic of them and all the clips he drops in.

chveik

#17
edit: fucks sake I'm an idiot

magval

Ah Jesus the Shenmue streaming has taken over mine and my wife's lives this past month or so. Shouldn't be rearranging ourselves around some pretend Irishman streaming shit games on the Internet, but he's just so good. Big fan, although the rest of the Bucks I could do without. Glad to see he's transcended that show in a way the others have been trying unsuccessfully to do.

McFlymo

I watched 3 or 4 episodes of the Hardy Bucks series. It's really decent, but yeah, found myself constantly waiting for Viper's bits.

Fun trivia: My ex grew up in the town where the Hardy Bucks was filmed (Kilasser, Co. Mayo). He also claims to have had a wee bit of a gay fumble with one of the main guys, when they were teenagers. AND!! He cheated on me and fucked off with a guy from Birmingham about 3 years into our relationship.

So both Kilasser and Birmingham are cancelled.

....

Umm yeah, I really like Viper.

Z

Quote from: magval on March 30, 2019, 07:53:30 PM
Ah Jesus the Shenmue streaming has taken over mine and my wife's lives this past month or so. Shouldn't be rearranging ourselves around some pretend Irishman streaming shit games on the Internet, but he's just so good. Big fan, although the rest of the Bucks I could do without. Glad to see he's transcended that show in a way the others have been trying unsuccessfully to do.
where are these at?

Aye, I always try and watch his streams when they're on, even better when he's playing something wonky and old like Shenmue. Much more watchable than Limmy's streams for me, although I'm not even sure if Limmy streams games these days.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Z on March 30, 2019, 09:28:54 PM
where are these at?

On YouTube but you just have to be around to catch them, sadly they don't get archived. You can get notifications when you subscribe to him though.

magval

A few of them have been archived by Redditors (against his wishes) so check the Viper Higgins thread over there.

VelourSpirit


chveik


marquis_de_sad

Live now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KB6FC1MUQA

Shnake is currently blowing the lid on the the whole aeroplane shcam.


chveik