Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:44:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The quality of writing on the BBC News website

Started by Noonling, July 24, 2019, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 07, 2022, 06:12:13 PMThat's no stock photo, but Elisha Cuthbert, off of "24" and "Happy Endings".

You'd think she'd be more canny about avoiding the paparazzi when eating messy ribs.

touchingcloth

I like how the preview frame which illustrates a "prison-like experience" looks, well, not all that bad.

I hereby sentence you to mouldy corners, surprisingly lightly-stained mattresses, and a selection of Indian sides and starters.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 18, 2022, 09:45:46 AM

I like how the preview frame which illustrates a "prison-like experience" looks, well, not all that bad.

You can't see from that POV but they're being bummed.

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/60808066

QuoteFormer Argentina international Federico Martin Aramburu was reportedly shot dead in France early on Saturday.

The 42-year-old, who was capped 22 times, played at the 2007 World Cup in France and scored a try against the hosts to help Argentina finish third.

Zero Gravitas

I like the maps personally, they always put a lot of character into the maps.

petril

I do like that casual labelling of both Ossetias as "not Russia"

Zero Gravitas

Some real gold star work from Chris Mason on this one
Johnson hints that new coal mine for Cumbria will get go-ahead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61904622

QuoteNow think of the decision, being reached within government right now, on whether to allow a new coal mine to be opened near Whitehaven in Cumbria.
The black stuff in question, under the Irish Sea, is what is called metallurgical coal, which is used in making steel.
Around 40% of this type of coal the UK needs is imported from - yes, you guessed it - Russia.
Coal is widely seen as one of the dirtiest and most polluting energy sources.
But west Cumbria is crying out for skilled, long-term, well-paid private-sector jobs.
So what should ministers do?
You can imagine the criticism, whether they say yes or no.

Quite apart from the fact that Australia and Canada are the major exporters of metallurgical coal, how the hell does one sit down and dribble out those paragraph sentences seemingly targeted at children and feel happy with it?

QuoteIt reminds me of a fundamental truth about reporting: it is a privilege to be an observer, asking sceptical questions.

Ah yes that's the reason, more drunk on the smell of the farts of the powerful than reporting.

QuoteOn Wednesday, tantalisingly, we got what looked like a glimpse of the government's instinct.
Deep into Prime Minister's Question Time, Conservative MP Chris Green asked about the importance of levelling up and the approach of other countries to the burning of different types of coal.
The prime minister knew the question was coming. Boris Johnson could have offered a generic answer. He could have ducked it entirely.
But instead he said this: "We can all be proud of the way in which we reduced CO2 emissions in this country, but plainly it makes no sense to be importing coal, particularly for metallurgical purposes, when we have our own domestic resources."
To supporters of the mine in and around Whitehaven, that sounded like a possible prime ministerial thumbs-up for it getting the go-ahead.
Those around Mr Gove remain tight-lipped and sources in No10 caution about reading too much into the PM's comment.

Are you shitting me, utter drivel attempting to humanise these lumbering idiots.

Zero Gravitas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62189844
Missile strike on Ukraine space plant in Dnipro kills three

Quote from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62189844Russian long-range cruise missiles killed three people in Ukraine's central city of Dnipro when they hit a space rocket plant and a nearby street, local officials say.
About 15 people were injured and nearby residential buildings damaged.
Dnipro's Yuzhmash plant also builds satellites - with one launched into space by Elon Musk's SpaceX company.

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YuzhmashThe State Factory «Production Union Pivdennyi Machine-Building Plant named after O.M. Makarov», PA Pivdenmash or former PA Yuzhmash (Ukrainian: Державне підприємство «Виробниче об'єднання Південний машинобудівний завод імені О.М. Макарова»; Russian: Государственное предприятие «Производственное Объединение Южный Машиностроительный Завод имени А.М. Макарова»; literally: State Factory «Production Union Southern Machine-Building Plant named after O.M. Makarov») is a Ukrainian state-owned aerospace manufacturer. It was formerly[when?] a Soviet state-owned factory.

Pivdenmash produces spacecraft, launch vehicles (rockets), liquid-propellant rockets, landing gears, castings, forgings, tractors, tools, and industrial products. The company is headquartered in Dnipro, and reports to the State Space Agency of Ukraine. It works with international aerospace partners in 23 countries.[not verified in body]

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrim-2Hrim-2 (Ukrainian: «Оперативно-тактичний ракетний комплекс «Грім»), also known as Grіm-2 (sometimes referred to as Grom), is a Ukrainian prospective mobile short-range ballistic missile system being developed by Yuzhnoye Design Office and A.M. Makarov Southern Machine-Building Plant, planned to combine the features of tactical missile complexes and multiple rocket launchers. The missile range for the export version is 280 kilometers, limited by the Missile Technology Control Regime limiting the proliferation of missiles and missile technology. Technically, the missile range is up to 500 km.[1] Reportedly the missile system research and development has been covertly financed by Saudi Arabia.[2]

Greg Torso

Fucks sake

QuoteIn June 2020, Lamu divorced Tang who, the court said, had had a history of violence against her.
About three months later he doused her with petrol at her father's home and set her alight. She suffered burns to 90% of her body and died two weeks later.
QuoteSome activists fear that a recently introduced mandatory 30-day "cooling off" period for couples who wish to divorce may make it harder for women to leave abusive relationships.

Cuellar

Thought this was an unfortunate concatenation of words and imagery.

FalknerHinton

Johnny Yesno

Sanna Marin: Finland PM partying video causes backlash

QuoteShe has faced criticism from opposition parties, with one leader demanding she take a drug test.

QuoteOpposition party leader, Riikka Purra, called for Ms Marin to take a voluntary drug test, saying there was a "shadow of doubt" hanging over the prime minister.

Which party is Riikka Purra the leader of?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riikka_Purra

QuoteRiikka Purra (born 13 June 1977 in Pirkkala) is a Finnish politician currently serving in the Parliament of Finland for the Finns Party for the Uusimaa constituency.

Ah, right you are. A great bunch of lads, if I could be bothered to check, probably.

QuoteThe Finns Party,[4][5][6] formerly known as the True Finns (Finnish: Perussuomalaiset, PS, Swedish: Sannfinländarna, Sannf.),[note 1] is a right-wing populist political party in Finland.[10] It was founded in 1995 following the dissolution of the Finnish Rural Party.

QuoteIdeologically, the Finns Party has been described as right-wing[52][53][54] and far-right.[61] It is a nationalist[62] and national-conservative[63][64] party that opposes immigration,[52] while on foreign stances they are eurosceptic.[62][52] The party combines left-wing economic policies[65] and economic nationalism[66] with socially conservative values,[67][64] and ethnic nationalism.[68]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finns_Party

QuoteSeveral True Finns MPs and other party leaders have made public statements which others have interpreted as being racist or otherwise inflammatory. In 2011 True Finn MP James Hirvisaari was fined 1,425 euro by the Kouvola Court of Appeals for comments he made on his blog about Muslims.[124] In 2011 President Tarja Halonen was quoted characterizing some True Finn voters as racist.[125][126] Her comments were broadly condemned by the True Finn party.[126] A 2011 book by Swedish journalist Lisa Bjurwald made a similar characterization, that the party's leaders support racist positions, while publicly denying that they do so.[127]

In 2011 MP Pentti Oinonen declined an invitation to the presidential Independence Day ball, citing his aversion to seeing same-sex couples dance.[128] In a judgement given on 8 June 2012, MP Jussi Halla-aho, then Chairman of the Administration Committee was found guilty by the Supreme Court of both disturbing religious worship and ethnic agitation for statements he made about Muhammad in his blog.[129]

In October 2013 it was reported that a Finns Party member of parliament, James Hirvisaari, had invited far-right activist Seppo Lehto as his guest to the parliament. During his visit, Lehto made several Nazi salutes, including at least one instance where Hirvisaari took a photo of Lehto performing the Nazi salute from the spectator gallery overlooking the Parliament House's Session Hall. Photos and videos of Lehto performing the Nazi salute in the Parliament House were then distributed on Lehto's public Facebook page and on YouTube.[130] After newspapers broke news of the incident, Speaker of the Parliament Eero Heinäluoma issued a notice of censure to Hirvisaari for the incident and the Finns Party leadership unanimously decided to expel Hirvisaari from the party, citing multiple cases of acting against the party's interest.[131][132][133] Hirvisaari then became affiliated with the Change 2011 party as the party's MP, until he was unseated in the parliamentary election of 2015.[134]

In 2020, a number of members of The Finns party in parliament criticised the Academy of Finland for funding the research of Oula Silvennoinen at the University of Helsinki on The Holocaust, the genocide of the European Jews.[135]

Finns party politicians have frequently supported far-right and neo-nazi movements such as the Finnish Defense League, Soldiers of Odin, Nordic Resistance Movement (NRM), Rajat Kiinni (Close the Borders), and Suomi Ensin (Finland First). An anti-mosque demonstration was supported by the youth branch of the PS, whose chairman, Jarmo Keto, said that, "Islam as an ideology is responsible for many conflicts and terror attacks. Thus such a mosque project is an irresponsible idea."[136] There have been numerous cases where members of the Finns Party have attracted criticism from the other parties and antifascists for attending events organized by or with the NRM. Several members of the Finns Party took part in an event where the participants shot and threw knives at targets, using photos of members of the Rinne Cabinet and attended an event commemorating Eugen Schauman who assassinated Nikolay Bobrikov.[137][138][139]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finns_Party#Controversies

dr beat

The most damaging footage of the Finnish PM has been kept top secret.  Until now...

Disinform

Been stuck on the first sentence of this article for a few days now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62592714

"Anatoly, 43, is one of more than one in three Latvians who speak Russian as their first language."

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-62601044

QuoteShe has lodged a police complaint and sent a legal notice to the university, which has responded by accusing her of defamation and demanded 990m rupees ($12.4m; £10.5) in compensation.

dissolute ocelot

Wadded Beef

sevendaughters

Arts writing is a different beast but I guarantee this piece will have you shouting GET TO FUCK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62620630

Inspector Norse

Jesus.

QuoteRemarkably, on one of the biggest night's in Yorkshire's recent rock history, Bring Me the Horizon frontman Oli Sykes actually went to the same school as the Arctic Monkeys.
What's he doing going to school on "one of the biggest night's in Yorkshire's recent rock history"?

QuoteThe siblings were 11 and 14, respectively when the Arctic Monkeys first blew up in the mid-noughties and said they "had a massive influence on us when we just finding out feet."

QuoteMusic Declares Emergency hosted it's first eco camps

QuoteIn the middle of a set that plucked from old indie sleaze bangers and newer slick rock-pop beats at will, from their six number one albums, Turner and co also performed the unreleased late David Bowie era-esque track
How the fuck do you even begin to understand that mess?

Pink Gregory

David Bowie era-esque.

Plucked from at will.

Nah this is brilliant.

buttgammon

I presumed that was written by a work experience kid who got the gig on account of some rich wanker parent but nope, he's been doing it for years.

sevendaughters

I was uncircumcised but this sentence

QuoteSunday was all about rock 'n' roll (baby)

desheathed me instantly.