Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:46:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Beagle 2

See, you can say the Switch online expansion pack is a rip off but I've been playing a fuck of a lot of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine so it's £35 well spent if you ask me.

Baffling waste of money when you could just pay £5.99 for the arcade version:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/SEGA-AGES-Puyo-Puyo-1616937.html

Or the much better sequel:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/SEGA-AGES-Puyo-Puyo-2-1717328.html

Or the modernised, online-focused Puyo Puyo Champions for £7.99:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Puyo-Puyo-Champions-1549862.html

Or you could play Super Puyo Puyo 2 on the SNES app on the basic tier. Or get one of the Puyo Puyo Tetris games.

Magnum Valentino

Haven't got a Dr Robotnik in them but.

Magnum Valentino

That's class and I might actually buy it myself (though that picture is a load of bollocks - the toy must be used side-on only).

Beagle 2

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 02, 2021, 03:58:19 PM
Baffling waste of money when you could just pay £5.99 for the arcade version:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/SEGA-AGES-Puyo-Puyo-1616937.html

Or the much better sequel:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/SEGA-AGES-Puyo-Puyo-2-1717328.html

Or the modernised, online-focused Puyo Puyo Champions for £7.99:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Puyo-Puyo-Champions-1549862.html

Or you could play Super Puyo Puyo 2 on the SNES app on the basic tier. Or get one of the Puyo Puyo Tetris games.

Thanks, my way is best and I'm on level 5.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If anyone's interested, the latest system update seems to have fixed Bluetooth audio problems, at least on my end. My headphones started off in sync, but quickly worsened to about 5 seconds of delay. Now they stay in sync constantly. There's still a degree of delay there, but at least it doesn't get worse over time. Definitely convenient if you don't want to piss about with a wire dangling around whenever you want a quick play.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 02, 2021, 04:59:28 PM
Just buy Puyo Puyo 2 and spend the £35 on this:

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/action-figures-and-playsets/sonic/sonic-the-hedgehog-%e2%80%93-giant-eggman-robot-battle-set/p/199444

cute. there's so many sonic things available now that are based off proper sonic! would have loved when i was younger

thinking of proper sonic, lanky sonic is relatively nearly as vintage as the original nowadays. i think that they've overstated the cuteness of olde thyme hedgehog tho, he was never this chibi like. more snarky lil asshole

Yeah, it was rough for Sonic fans in the 90s. Tomy just stuck Sonic stickers on existing toys and called it a day. I had that game where you filled it with water and pushed the button to move the bits around. Mate of mine at school had the Kongman reskin, which didn't really work as a concept. With Kongman, you imagined that the ball was Mario, making his way up to save the girl from not-Donkey Kong. With the Sonic version you imagined the ball was Sonic, making his way up to a spinning effigy of himself. Either way, Screwball Scramble was better. Alright, cheers.

Pink Gregory

take your time, make it work, as always

Kelvin

"We have all played Elden Ring and decided to start again."

Memorex MP3

Right, I've got a Switch. Mainly so I can play with some friends who are clearly never gonna bother playing on PC.

Asides from 1-2-Switch, Arms, Ring Fit, Labo and Mario Kart Live, is there any gimmicky bullshit from Nintendo on this? I'm generally all over that shit.

Kelvin

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on April 26, 2022, 11:02:30 PMRight, I've got a Switch. Mainly so I can play with some friends who are clearly never gonna bother playing on PC.

Asides from 1-2-Switch, Arms, Ring Fit, Labo and Mario Kart Live, is there any gimmicky bullshit from Nintendo on this? I'm generally all over that shit.

There's a new Wii sports game out in the next week or so. Not sure if Mario sports titles have motion controls, but if they do, maybe them? Mario Party and Warioware if you like mini games.

Pink Gregory

I don't know if it counts but you can play Mario Kart 8 with tilt controls

Memorex MP3

Wario Ware and Mario Party are good shouts! Mario Kart 8 with the tilt controls is infuriating but I'll def be doing the Labo wheel thing.

Pink Gregory

The Switch Warioware is decent put not a patch on the hardware gimmick ones.  What they were going for is interesting but you never really suddenly turn a corner into severe novelty as it were.

You have to be able to beat every microgame with every character and that inevitably leads to some homogenisation.

Consignia

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 27, 2022, 05:42:25 PMYou have to be able to beat every microgame with every character and that inevitably leads to some homogenisation.

You see, I found the opposite. Most of the characters play so differently, it means you have to be able to adapt two fold to whatever the random number generator throws at you, one to quickly get the task and two to solve it as that character. I found it worked really well, although some of Nintendo classics don't fit too well (but for the most part they never really did after the original).

I've had the most fun however playing Wario cup. Some of the challenges are really crazy, where you end having to control two characters at the same time which really screws with you.

Pink Gregory

I have to admit I basically played it through and dropped it.  It's really good but I don't think it's grabbing me long term, but then I don't think WarioWare games are supposed to.

The Wario Cup is a great idea, hope it catches on in future games, it's nice to have something to do after all the chapters other than try to get high scores on the remixes.

buntyman

Not sure how many of you have been playing the Switch Online N64 games with the wireless N64 controller but I've recently returned to playing Ocarina of Time and I think it's the best way there's ever been to play it. They seem to have fixed the graphics issues now and it looks pretty nice on my HD TV. The suspend points are a nice luxury and it's so much better to have the weapons and ocarina notes assigned to the yellow buttons. I'm already looking forward to giving Majora's Mask my first proper play through after i'm done with this.

madhair60

Hmm, maybe I should try and get one of those controllers.

Kelvin

Quote from: buntyman on June 13, 2022, 06:09:08 AMNot sure how many of you have been playing the Switch Online N64 games with the wireless N64 controller but I've recently returned to playing Ocarina of Time and I think it's the best way there's ever been to play it. They seem to have fixed the graphics issues now and it looks pretty nice on my HD TV. The suspend points are a nice luxury and it's so much better to have the weapons and ocarina notes assigned to the yellow buttons. I'm already looking forward to giving Majora's Mask my first proper play through after i'm done with this.

I've played through a few games on there and the controls have been a big issue using the Pro Controller.

Ocarina was mostly fine, but Starfox was completely unplayable. The controls to bank left and right are set to completely different buttons and it breaks my brain trying to remember them all while making split second decisions - a big issue when going for high score medals and secret routes.

Banjo Kazooie was horrible, too, but for different reasons. Movement and button placement was fine, but the control stick being omni-direction (as opposed to distinct c-buttons on the N64 controller) meant that firing eggs made the camera go berserk. Not really an issue until the final boss, at which point you have to fire multiple eggs rapidly, and at small targets. Again, it was basically unplayable, and I had to use save states to get past those sections of the fight.

Maybe the wireless N64 controller is the way to go.

madhair60

I get shouted at for this, but I've always loved the N64 controller and never understood why people shit the bed over it.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on June 15, 2022, 10:37:00 AMI get shouted at for this, but I've always loved the N64 controller and never understood why people shit the bed over it.

Same. I don't remember people ever moaning about it at the time, only after going back years later. I've often wondered if a lot of the people who hate it were trying to hold the left hand prong, rather than the middle one. Maybe people who didn't have an N64 at the time?

I really liked how it had like a built in 8 way gate. People used to digital controls felt a bit safer stepping into the wacky world of analogue movement.

Yeah, I had no issue with the n64 controller. I really liked the little trigger button as well, felt like you were holding a gun.

My dad took me to some guys house to buy his n64 and they had it hooked up to the telly to show that it was working and their kid was going "Oh, why's this out?" and he was playing on it and the guy was saying "he doesn't really play on it anymore"
I think that was true, he didn't seem bothered that it was going, but it still felt a bit weird that I was there taking a childs toy off him!
I remember saying to my dad "It felt like they hadn't asked him if he wanted to sell it"
and he goes "here, that'll be a weeks shopping for a young family like that. If it wasn't getting used, it's the right thing to sell it on"

Felt a bit weird, I think the kid had spilled something sweet into the analogue stick bit, this dried white powder would come off when you moved it and the faint smell never went away like it was haunted by it's previous owner.

Kelvin

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 15, 2022, 01:31:05 PMI think the kid had spilled something sweet into the analogue stick bit, this dried white powder would come off when you moved it and the faint smell never went away like it was haunted by it's previous owner.

Actually the N64 controller is pretty notorious for having white powder build up around the control stick, so it might have been that.

Aaaah, right. Yeah, that'll have been that then. Mystery solved.

I remember a decent bit of criticism of the controller when it came out.

Lots of friends had issues with the analogue stick causing blisters in Mario Party or any other games where you had to frantically rotate it, as well as the stick itself becoming jammed or drifting. That didn't bother me much, but I did always find the layout a bit annoying on a design level, I held the middle section like everyone else but if for whatever reason you had to suddenly jump to the d-pad (which also felt quite stiff) it felt like it was awkwardly placed and a bit superfluous.

Another design element that annoyed me as a kid was after Playstation had 4 buttons on the right, each with their own symbol and each feeling like they were important the N64 instead still just had A and B buttons and then next to it for some reason 4 tiny yellow direction buttons.

Pink Gregory

Sometimes I regret leaving my N64 (still have it at my parents', but I gave someone the power cable because theirs broke, no idea where it is now)

I had such a good time with

*checks notes*

Pokemon Stadium
Body Harvest
Turok Rage Wars (played exclusively by myself)
and honest to god Superman 64

fuck was I doing dude.

popcorn

Big problem with the N64 pad is that one third of it is useless 99% of the time.