Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Witchfinder

Started by Norton Canes, October 17, 2019, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabian Thomsett

I predict that this won't be remembered fondly.

Mobius

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 06, 2022, 11:03:48 PMThere's a really bad review in The Guardian.

Jesus you weren't wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/mar/05/the-witchfinder-even-daisy-may-cooper-cant-make-this-bad-comedy-cast-a-spell

Is he trying and failing to be funny in a self effacing "I'm saying this show isn't funny but I'm aware neither am I" way?

Wow, that Guardian review is a horrendous piece of writing.

olliebean

Quote from: Joel Golby in The GuardianTry again, and this time add some Whitehall!

Impressively pissing away his last remaining dribble of credibility in the final sentence, there.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: Vroomo on March 01, 2022, 09:55:16 AMQ&A with Tim and Daisy over on the BBC press office:
Tim and Daisy? Is this the new Spaced?

holyzombiejesus

"After being the go-to punchline guy in every single British comedy over the past 15 years, Tim Key was well overdue a good leading role"

This isn't remotely true, is it?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on March 07, 2022, 07:50:00 AMWow, that Guardian review is a horrendous piece of writing.

Jesus, it really is.

QuoteSay you have been summoned to a lab and tasked with formulating the perfect British comedy. The details of the lab are not necessary for this, so stop asking. Stop asking who is funding this great experiment. It does not matter why they have chosen you, instead of someone qualified. We're getting off topic. No, there are no windows. Well yes, fine, I suppose you could call it a "bunker" then. The point is: you have been summoned to a lab and tasked with formulating the perfect British comedy. It will be on BBC Two.

Trying way too hard. And I mean, I would get if you were going to do some thematic type review that aligns with the show, in that case wouldn't you talk about being in a witch's... cave or something instead of a lab? And casting a spell instead of doing an experiment?

paruses

I am close to my required word count. Very very very very close indeed ....

timebug

Gave it a shot,with low expectations. I was right. It was crap.

I liked the first episode a lot. It set the scene nicely and delivered a few big laughs.

I suspect people's opinions will based on whether they like Tim Key being Tim Key and Daisy May Cooper being Daisy May Cooper. I do, so it worked for me from the off. My only real criticism is that Jessica Hynes's character seemed pointless and a waste of her talents, and I've read that this doesn't change much in later episodes.

Maybe the rest of the series will be terrible, but I think there's a good chance this will find an audience and the Guardian (who seem to have no reviewers who understand or can write well about TV comedy) will give the first episode of series two five stars.

Autopsy Turvey

It was alright, some jolly snorts at Tim pointing out to the dead man that a fly just went in his mouth. Above average for a new British TV sitcom, easier to watch than most because of the lovely scenery and costumes.

sevendaughters

First episode had some nice camera movement (the bit where Key is waiting around the corner to bump into Vincent Franklin and then looking back at Jessica Hynes) but maybe all that glad-handing and petty rivalry that works so well for Partridge needs the backstory of a Partridge to really come to life. Ultimately I wasn't laughing and I didn't think it was saying anything at all and switched it off after 20 minutes.

olliebean

It was better than the pirate thing with the awkward unmemorable name and Taika Waititi in it.

manifest

I desperately wanted to like it due to the cast and writers involved but I don't think I laughed once. I thought the jokes were shockingly toothless and lame for such great writers. I got pantomime vibes from much of the script. Hopefully, it was appreciated by some but it wasn't for me. Perhaps it was intentionally aimed towards a mainstream audience.

paruses

I am not sure what's wrong with it. Have watched 1.25 episodes so far. It seem to be made up of characters from other things that don't work in this setting: Tim Key's Late Night Poetry character turned down low, Jessica Hynes doing a Mrs Overall impression, and a clever Kerry from This Country. That's not quite fair but the whole thing just seems to have mis-stepped.

Did think it picked up a little in ep2 so will press on tomorrow. It's a bit too easy to tune out though.

SweetPomPom

Episode 2 was more what I expected, gentle road movie stuff. Better but still a way to go before it deserves its cast.

QDRPHNC

Got a fair few laughs out of the first episode, my expectations weren't high going in though, just happy to see Tim Key in something new.

Tony Tony Tony

As far as ep 3 now and it is really getting into its stride. Turning into a classic trope of two characters thrown together by circumstance or who are bound together unable to escape.

Reckon dropping the whole series on  iPlayer really benefits the show as it is a bit of a slow burn so I for one am enjoying a binge watch.

Really warming to the main characters and starting to care about the outcome.

Judging by some of the comments upthread there might not be enough one liners or laugh out loud gags but there are chuckles in the situation and Key makes an excellent pompous failure type whilst Cooper actually has the street smarts.

Laughed heartily at...

Spoiler alert
Hang on I haven't even passed the fuckin hat round
[close]
in the first few seconds of ep 1 and

Spoiler alert
Key's attempts at braining a rabbit or six
[close]

Persevere because you know you're worth it.

Pink Gregory

Hope this gets a second series then, some things take time to bed in and seems like that's the case.

I suppose that's the problem with the British model, if it takes two episodes to set up you've only really got four episodes to get it done.

paruses

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 10, 2022, 10:03:53 AMLaughed heartily at...

Spoiler alert
Hang on I haven't even passed the fuckin hat round
[close]
in the first few seconds of ep 1 and

Me too - it's very entitled of me but I wish there more more bits like that that you'd get on a rewatch. Maybe there are.

Key's pompous persona just seems a bit lost amongst things up to now - whereas it usually comes across as really strong (in interviews as well as performances).

paruses

I take it back. Quite enjoying it now. Nice Gibbons-y bits:
Spoiler alert
We're talking about Suffolk. They have big families.
[close]
- just thrown out and left as a sincere thought from a character and not a lazy lol-incest joke.

olliebean

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 10, 2022, 10:03:53 AMAs far as ep 3 now and it is really getting into its stride.

That's encouraging, although it makes the decision to only provide reviewers with the first two episodes in advance somewhat questionable.

Tony Tony Tony

Up to the final episode now and enjoying a bravura performance by Reece Shearsmith.

QDRPHNC

Only seen the first ep, as I'm saving the rest for a flight I'm taking on Monday with my boy - he's a huge Tim Key fan (pulled him out of school for a day so he could see his and Isy Suttie's most recent zoom thing).

But I just wanted to say that I haven't been able to stop chuckling at the "they're packed with the devil" line. Also liked it when Key accused Hynes of "putting corners" on his beard.

Has it been mentioned yet that Coogan did some script consulting on this? If nothing else, it's an interesting curiosity, seeing the Partridge team working without Partridge. It's one of those things where it's not trying to be groundbreaking and it's not smug and pleased with itself in that Gervais way, just sort of pleasantly ambles along, and I'm fine with that.

Alberon

I enjoyed the first episode too. No huge laughs, but a few good chuckles mostly from Cooper's lines.

Quote from: paruses on March 09, 2022, 11:59:58 PMI am not sure what's wrong with it. Have watched 1.25 episodes so far. It seem to be made up of characters from other things that don't work in this setting: Tim Key's Late Night Poetry character turned down low, Jessica Hynes doing a Mrs Overall impression, and a clever Kerry from This Country. That's not quite fair but the whole thing just seems to have mis-stepped.

Did think it picked up a little in ep2 so will press on tomorrow. It's a bit too easy to tune out though.

Agree with everything here, I'm enjoying it but it's a bit of a plod.

As mentioned upthread a second series could see an improvement.

paruses

neveragain

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 10, 2022, 01:29:20 PMHas it been mentioned yet that Coogan did some script consulting on this? If nothing else, it's an interesting curiosity, seeing the Partridge team working without Partridge.

It's interesting hearing a fair few Partridgey lines from Tim Key. I hope the series carries on and he can build the character further, as it's mostly good and enjoyable.

Lots of reviews (well, two or three I've read) brought up International Woman's Day and asked "What are they trying to say?"... which strikes me as missing the point.