Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:22:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Witchfinder

Started by Norton Canes, October 17, 2019, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Laughed heartily again as Cariad Lloyd
Spoiler alert
licks the biscuit covered in goats jizz and says "I've tasted this before"
[close]
which was almost thrown away in a rush to the credits.

Small Man Big Horse

It's probably unfair of me to comment but I quit after 10 minutes of the first episode, I had such high hopes, love the Gibbobns elsewhere, and all of the cast, but I was cringing so much, and to such a painful extent, that I couldn't bear another second of it.

lauraxsynthesis

I got halfway through episode 2. I don't agree with the critique that it's not funny enough. Who rates comedy based solely on the number of laughs per minute? My problem is the foregrounding of what evil bastards the witchfinders are. The way they stitch people up with their questioning - illustrated very effectively with the questioning of the little boy. I just found it upsetting because there's so much bad faith around in the culture in general at the moment eg 'if you don't want to nuke Moscow you're a Putin apologist'.

I hope to come back to this series when I'm feeling a bit less fragile!

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on March 11, 2022, 10:48:21 AMI got halfway through episode 2. I don't agree with the critique that it's not funny enough. Who rates comedy based solely on the number of laughs per minute? My problem is the foregrounding of what evil bastards the witchfinders are. The way they stitch people up with their questioning - illustrated very effectively with the questioning of the little boy. I just found it upsetting because there's so much bad faith around in the culture in general at the moment eg 'if you don't want to nuke Moscow you're a Putin apologist'.

I hope to come back to this series when I'm feeling a bit less fragile!

As I wrote upthread I have completed the series, and I hope it is not too much of a spoiler to say things turn out OK in the end. I actually felt warm and fuzzy at the denouement and am looking forward to a potential second series.

If you do make it to the final episode you will be rewarded with Reece Shearsmith

Spoiler alert
Taking a very long walk
[close]

Hope you get to enjoy.

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 11, 2022, 11:38:41 AMIf you do make it to the final episode you will be rewarded with Reece Shearsmith

Yeah, if you've given up it's still worth watching episode six for him

Spoiler alert
Hi Reece!
[close]

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 10, 2022, 05:10:37 PMIt's probably unfair of me to comment but I quit after 10 minutes of the first episode, I had such high hopes, love the Gibbobns elsewhere, and all of the cast, but I was cringing so much, and to such a painful extent, that I couldn't bear another second of it.

I can see that. During the opening scene with the puppet show it very much seemed like something I was going hate (although "it's not a tent, it's a booth" got a smile) and almost turned it off.

paruses

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 11, 2022, 11:45:42 AMI can see that. During the opening scene with the puppet show it very much seemed like something I was going hate (although "it's not a tent, it's a booth" got a smile) and almost turned it off.

Pretty much the same - it's the olden days but everyone's talking like it's nowadays. *Click*

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 11, 2022, 11:41:11 AMYeah, if you've given up it's still worth watching episode six for him

Yes. I would go further and say just jump into episode 3. It seems to have gained confidence by then.

Like @Tony Tony Tony I ended up quite liking it and having some proper laughs. Especially God as Jesus' dad:
Spoiler alert
maybe Jesus thinks he's just a friend of his mum's who stares at him too much and gets really sad on his birthday
[close]
But I would say 6 episodes was enough for me by the end.

Jack Shaftoe

I quite liked episode one, although far more invested in Daisy May Cooper's character than Tim Key's because all I could think was oh good another Gervais-ish pompous and petty but socially unskilled type, not seen one of those for ten minutes. The little powerplay with her getting him to clean up the egg was great.

selectivememory

Yeah, I got real Gervaisy vibes from Tim Key's performance as well. Very off-putting. Kept expecting him to mug at the camera. Usually like Key, and Daisy May Cooper is fantastic, but I didn't enjoy what I watched of the first episode.

Never seen any of the Gibbons' other projects, though I know people rate their Partridge stuff. Probably won't be checking out the later episodes of this though.

paruses

Might have to watch episode one again. I just thought that Key was doing his pompous poet character but without conviction.

Lewman

It's not a perfect show but I'm enjoying it.

Watching episode 4 and to be honest it's an enjoyable romp.

notjosh

Wasn't keen on the first episode when I though it was going to be a sitcom. But as soon as I twigged that it's your classic odd-couple roadtrip rom-com (basically my favourite type of story) I really enjoyed it.

It's a bit baggy in places and might have been better as a feature. But nice chemistry between the leads, and a few nice lines here and there. I like the fact that though the humour is modern in tone, it doesn't rely on that horrible Dreamworks cliche of just doing jokes about modern times in olde worlde setting.

Think my least favourite part was probably the finale, which felt a bit undercooked and features a fairly dodgy bit of CGI.

It's obviously not as great as the Gibbons' Partridge work, but nice to see a different side to them. I think they're generally quite upbeat, hopeful writers and there were a couple of genuinely lovely moments.

sheddyian

I wasn't too sure of this series having seen the first episode, but once the plot gets going as the episodes progress I really enjoyed it. Don't give up on it, basically. It's a fun story and there's some good jokes along the way.

Ron Superior

Iffy start, but finished the whole thing now and really fond of it.

I think it would have made a brilliant 90 minute film. Like IFC did for the series' of The Trip for the US. Someone should do this. Ok cheers.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 11, 2022, 11:41:11 AMYeah, if you've given up it's still worth watching episode six for him

I am a Shearsmith fan so you've convinced me!

Brundle-Fly

I supposed I tuned in hoping for a Inside No9 'The Trial Of Elizabeth Gadge' vibe but I got the post-The Office ' everyone being a bit chippy in an understated manner with each other' vibe instead.  I'll persevere.

Cuellar

Just watched the first episode and didn't mind it - did get some Brent from Key which was a bit grating, but also noticed some Partridgean looks which made me laugh.

Just started the second episode and like the line
Spoiler alert
"I yank off the Christ!"
[close]

I like all of Tim Key's sotto voce swearing at people. Makes me laugh.

The 'twist' in Episode 3 is somewhat brutal.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 14, 2022, 07:42:34 PMI supposed I tuned in hoping for a Inside No9 'The Trial Of Elizabeth Gadge' vibe but I got the post-The Office ' everyone being a bit chippy in an understated manner with each other' vibe instead.  I'll persevere.

You can definitely hear the Office-era Gervais influence in his Poetry Programme.

daf

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 14, 2022, 09:25:13 PMYou can definitely hear the Office-era Gervais influence in his Poetry Programme.

Reckon Gervaise has a lot to answer for/is masterfully influential in modern comedy.

Delete as appropriate. 

holyzombiejesus

It's funny that people mention Brent as the dynamic between Bannister and the Hebble character reminded me of the rivalry between Andy and Greg in Extras.

Pink Gregory

Quite liked episode 1, to my surprise really.

Definitely too much dialogue, delivered too quickly though.  Feels like it hasn't decided quite what vibe it wants to settle on.

Also quite telling that Daisy May Cooper is the only one in the entire cast with a genuine regional accent.

Thosworth

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 16, 2022, 05:14:10 AMAlso quite telling that Daisy May Cooper is the only one in the entire cast with a genuine regional accent.

And yet it's from the opposite side of the country. From Lovejoy onward, East Anglia in drama has always had to endure 'that'll do' West Country accents.

Most recently - and don't get me wrong, it is one of my favourite pieces of media of any kind ever - but what the hell was going on with the accents in The Detectorists? Set in rural Essex, the two leads were West Country, one with an Irish daughter, with supporting characters speaking Welsh, RP, Mancunian and Estuary. Admittedly the last one kind of works, but would fit better in a more urban setting.

Ironically another 'detectorist', Ralph Fiennes in The Dig, got the accent down impeccably.

BRen

I really enjoyed this, though I was bound to, as I do have something of a morbid fascination with 17th century witchfinding and witches etc. Same reason I love folk horror so much. Reece Shearsmith was brilliant in episode six too, great casting and a call back to A Field in England, in a way. Fingers crossed there is a series two!

somersetchris

Quote from: Thosworth on March 16, 2022, 09:49:57 AMAnd yet it's from the opposite side of the country. From Lovejoy onward, East Anglia in drama has always had to endure 'that'll do' West Country accents.

Most recently - and don't get me wrong, it is one of my favourite pieces of media of any kind ever - but what the hell was going on with the accents in The Detectorists? Set in rural Essex, the two leads were West Country, one with an Irish daughter, with supporting characters speaking Welsh, RP, Mancunian and Estuary. Admittedly the last one kind of works, but would fit better in a more urban setting.

Ironically another 'detectorist', Ralph Fiennes in The Dig, got the accent down impeccably.

Apart from Toby Jones, those are their real accents. Isn't that better than putting on a fake one? It's set in present day, people move around. I live in the west country and work with people with Welsh, Irish, East End, South African, and Polish accents. I personally find people speaking in their natural accents much less distracting than trying to do a regional accent and not pulling it off, e.g. Jane Leeves. I think this is the way TV and film are going, take Chernobyl and Death of Stalin as examples, with everyone speaking in regional British accents rather than a cod 'Russian' voice.

Thosworth

Quote from: somersetchris on March 17, 2022, 11:46:19 PMApart from Toby Jones, those are their real accents. Isn't that better than putting on a fake one? It's set in present day, people move around. I live in the west country and work with people with Welsh, Irish, East End, South African, and Polish accents. I personally find people speaking in their natural accents much less distracting than trying to do a regional accent and not pulling it off, e.g. Jane Leeves. I think this is the way TV and film are going, take Chernobyl and Death of Stalin as examples, with everyone speaking in regional British accents rather than a cod 'Russian' voice.

Don't fully disagree, but coming from that part of the world it's just incredibly noticeable that you never hear a single East Anglian accent in the media, real or attempted; the callers to Midmorning Matters are West Country. You just end up accepting it as inevitable.

selectivememory

Did watch all of this in the end. It was ok. DMC was the best thing in it, and there were some decent cameos as well. Gently amusing and probably not something I'll revisit, but glad I stuck with it.

6/10

Enzo

Quote from: selectivememory on March 18, 2022, 09:38:54 PMDid watch all of this in the end. It was ok. DMC was the best thing in it, and there were some decent cameos as well. Gently amusing and probably not something I'll revisit, but glad I stuck with it.

6/10

Similar thoughts to yours after finishing it. I enjoyed it, but not pushed for another series.

rilk

Quote from: Thosworth on March 18, 2022, 03:33:47 PMDon't fully disagree, but coming from that part of the world it's just incredibly noticeable that you never hear a single East Anglian accent in the media, real or attempted; the callers to Midmorning Matters are West Country. You just end up accepting it as inevitable.

Have you watched Simon Day's Billy Bleach sitcom Grass? Bit of a rarity for having, IIRC, at least one actual Norfolk accent in it