Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:05:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Would love to know some of what the actor said in their letter to RLM.

Hot Dr Paul links posted to Reddit:

QuoteIf y'all haven't sussed it yet, Paul Kattupalli is kind of a whackjob.

2008: https://youtu.be/ZhNEYcrz-ZE

2015: https://youtu.be/VqE5C-ZpODM

2021: https://youtu.be/ZCgWSMptKoY

https://doctorpaul.org/dr-paul/

QDRPHNC

Finished it. That was something all right. RLM are at their best when they're taking apart all the bad decisions that these filmmakers make.

frajer

Watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it too.

The idea of a bus stop being somewhere you visit for a chat before walking off back the way you came really tickled me.

Also: Water.

Deanjam

QDRPHNC

QuoteHey everyone! We just shot a black void video for the first 4 episodes of the Obi-Wan Kenobi show. Eh why not? In addition to that, we're planning a re:View episode for Who Framed Roger Rabbit, a movie that must have been a gigantic pain in the ass to make but was well worth it.

Mobbd

A Roger Rabbit re:View sounds great!

Blumf

Ooh, yes please! Wonder if they'll be comparing it to the recent Chip & Dale film.

Kelvin

Obi-Wan video is up, and Rich's comment about his 15 year old self had already made me roar with laughter.

DrGreggles

Wish they did less of the sci-fi stuff

idunnosomename

I always enjoy it when Mike says "ghost"

Mister Six

Yeah, I love hearing their Wisconsin accents burst through at odd times. I swear, he sometimes says "ghost" in a more neutral American way, though. Can't be bothered checking, but I don't recall him talking about "goosts" when he was effusively praising the UK series Ghosts a few months back. I wonder if he tries to hide it, but sometimes gets a bit too drunk to pull it off.

Mister Six

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 16, 2022, 10:11:38 PMWish they did less of the sci-fi stuff

Sadly, that'd probably just be Jay talking to himself.

Sonny_Jim

I need another Jim and Colin episode.

Mister Six

I always find Jim and Colin really off-putting. Their ad-libs can be quite funny, but when they're called on to do anything else, they (especially Colin) seem like rabbits in headlights. Deeply uncharismatic rabbits. Sort of the inverse of Tim, who is charismatic and relaxed, but not as funny as them.

I dunno, I'm just a lot more comfortable when it's some combo of Mike, Jay, Rich, Josh and/or the dean from Community.

DrGreggles

Deanjam

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - re:View

Blumf

QDRPHNC

Lovely, going to settle in and watch this later.

Can you imagine them making something like Roger Rabbit these days and getting it so, so right?

Goldentony

refuse to believe for a second that Jay could have been annoyed enough about a film like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and the twattery contained within it having a scene where a human conforms to cartoon logic in a lift because it's going up too fast, in order to execute a throwaway classic visual joke in line with what the fuck the entire film is about.

Other than that it's a good video but does he really give a shit? it felt like a Jay equivalent of when instead of reviewing a film Mike decides to explain how he'd rewrite and direct whatever they've watched.

Kelvin

Quote from: Goldentony on June 22, 2022, 07:54:05 PMrefuse to believe for a second that Jay could have been annoyed enough about a film like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and the twattery contained within it having a scene where a human conforms to cartoon logic in a lift because it's going up too fast, in order to execute a throwaway classic visual joke in line with what the fuck the entire film is about.

Other than that it's a good video but does he really give a shit? it felt like a Jay equivalent of when instead of reviewing a film Mike decides to explain how he'd rewrite and direct whatever they've watched.

Nah. I think they were just listing nitpicks at that point, rather than big issues they had with it. It seemed obvious they both loved the film.

Goldentony

Aye guess so. Love Jay and Rich together anyway. Really glad they used that clip of Fleischer from Zodiac too, had that exact moment in my head when they were talking about how terrifying the guy is.

Blumf

One big problem with that review was the lack of any real reference to the animation team. In particular, Richard Williams should have got a mention, being key to the look and feel of the animation.

idunnosomename

i was kinda annoyed that Jay was annoyed by that elevator gag too, surely we buy that when a human goes into toontown they start to be subject to toon rules, just as toons act differently in our world. it's fine. it's also funny

also I think they underestimate Space Jam's popularity from the basis of how many people wanted to fuck Lola Bunny. like even more than Jessica Rabbit. I mean Jessica Rabbit is just too sexy to imagine fucking

Mister Six

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 23, 2022, 01:34:26 AMi was kinda annoyed that Jay was annoyed by that elevator gag too, surely we buy that when a human goes into toontown they start to be subject to toon rules, just as toons act differently in our world. it's fine. it's also funny

I was also annoyed by that as a kid, to be honest. The toons don't act differently in our world, do they? That's Last Action Hero.

Goldentony

the toons should have immediately suffered from depression and be sent to a jobs fair at scunthorpe town hall to speak to a rep from carphone warehouse

Mobbd

Quote from: Goldentony on June 23, 2022, 08:38:07 AMthe toons should have immediately suffered from depression and be sent to a jobs fair at scunthorpe town hall to speak to a rep from carphone warehouse

I don't want to derail the thread but I once had an idea for a novel along these lines. It would be set in a Richard Scarry-esque universe where blue-collar animals have to come to terms with the desolation of modern working culture. Alas, this strip came out and kinda did it all in a single panel.

There's a Terry Pratchett thread over in Shelf Abuse at the moment where someone (Mister Six, I think) describes a number Discworld books where a modern technology or social phenomenon is introduced to the Discworld's medieval/fantasy society, so I suppose that's a similar idea too and obviously the ultimate realisation of if having come from the mind of Terry P.

I liked the Roger Rabbit Re:View! Well done, boys, back on form after the Picard nightmare. My only crit is that it wasn't 10-15 minutes longer. Great stuff.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mobbd on June 23, 2022, 11:19:45 AMI don't want to derail the thread but I once had an idea for a novel along these lines. It would be set in a Richard Scarry-esque universe where blue-collar animals have to come to terms with the desolation of modern working culture. Alas, this strip came out and kinda did it all in a single panel.

That's bloody great. Did you do it? Took me a minute to realise they're original drawings and it's not just an actual Richard Scarry page with tweaked copy. The "content" ones are especially good.

Mobbd

Quote from: Mister Six on June 23, 2022, 02:36:24 PMThat's bloody great. Did you do it? Took me a minute to realise they're original drawings and it's not just an actual Richard Scarry page with tweaked copy. The "content" ones are especially good.

Oh, no no I didn't do the strip or the novel. Agree that the strip is bloody brilliant.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mister Six on June 23, 2022, 06:00:20 AMI was also annoyed by that as a kid, to be honest. The toons don't act differently in our world, do they? That's Last Action Hero.
well they feel a bit more constrained by physics. But like when Eddie's falling from the building, hes not in any real danger, I buy in that world weird toony things can happen to you simply because its funny.
As was pointed out the finale is a bit more difficult but who cares.

Typical of them to mention Zemeckis over and over but never Richard Williams. But surprised they genuinely didnt know why Amy Irving did Jessica's singing voice though.

Spoiler alert
She was Speilberg's wife in the 2nd half of the 80s. Before she first broke up with him she was going to be in Raiders
[close]

Povidone

They are consumate amateurs.