Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 24, 2022, 10:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Rewatching Detectorists

Started by SteK, January 26, 2020, 10:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteK

Been hit with the lurgy late last week and sat, body clock all over the place so I put Detectorists on for a fall-asleep-to, but it's still genius, it will be another classic for the future, timeless.

Seen it a dozen times when it was out, loved it then, watch up to Series 2 ep 1 over night, can't wait to rewatch the rest now.

Also tried a new BBC comedy 'The Tuckers' by Steve Spiers - it's pretty uninspiring honestly makes you wonder how they get commissioned honestly.


Shit Good Nose

Would honestly give blowies behind the bus station for a Russell and Hugh spin-off.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 26, 2020, 10:10:34 PM
Would honestly give blowies behind the bus station for a Russell and Hugh spin-off.

I'd rent out my arse for a Terry and Sheila one.

"Button World...I'd go."

idunnosomename

yeah it's really well written, acted, and shot. it really does sum up the awkwardness of close male friendships, based around hobbies as they often are, but with so many other things buzzing round them, more than just about anything

never watched the last special actually

Clownbaby

The first series was absolutely precious and subtle and charming, I loved it. I remember being a bit disappointed by the second series though. Same thing with Flowers. Loved the first series of that, second one not so much

Dewt

I definitely prefer the first series, but I'm glad both exist.

Rural Essex is so pretty (okay this was filmed in Suffolk but it's the same thing)

idunnosomename

north essex and south suffolk are basically the same. i mean constable did ok finding pretty stuff there

Dewt

Yeah. I grew up on that border, went to school in Manningtree for a while

It is delightful there

jsgibble

Think I've seen most of it but didn't watch it all in order so I can't exactly remember. I should really get round to watching it in full

Ferris

Just remembered I didn't watch the finale of this, despite loving it. I was saving them, gonna crack into them tonight

ajsmith2

Elvis Costello considers rewri-

Mister Six

Mrs Six been looking for a gentle, heartwarming comedy without any sharp edges or big political point to make, as a bit of a contrast to what we usually watch. Would The Detectorists fit the bill?

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on January 27, 2020, 01:00:37 PM
Mrs Six been looking for a gentle, heartwarming comedy without any sharp edges or big political point to make, as a bit of a contrast to what we usually watch. Would The Detectorists fit the bill?

Fit the bill? I think that was the commissioning brief.

SteK

Quote from: Mister Six on January 27, 2020, 01:00:37 PM
Mrs Six been looking for a gentle, heartwarming comedy without any sharp edges or big political point to make, as a bit of a contrast to what we usually watch. Would The Detectorists fit the bill?

100%

wooders1978

Quote from: Mister Six on January 27, 2020, 01:00:37 PM
Mrs Six been looking for a gentle, heartwarming comedy without any sharp edges or big political point to make, as a bit of a contrast to what we usually watch. Would The Detectorists fit the bill?

If I was to sum up what the show is I think I'd use pretty much exactly those words

Mister Six


SteK

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 26, 2020, 10:34:02 PM
yeah it's really well written, acted, and shot. it really does sum up the awkwardness of close male friendships, based around hobbies as they often are, but with so many other things buzzing round them, more than just about anything

never watched the last special actually

There was only one Special, end of Series 2

Lance does use 'the c word' at one point ("cunt").

Mister Six

Ah that's fine. It's more about the lack of real world misery and such. Bit of swearing is nothing.

jobotic

I've still never seen the last episode. Couldn't bear to have it end so put it off and then it vanished from iplayer. It's probably somewhere to be seen, I haven't looked.

I wish Don't Forget the Driver was around somewhere, only caught a couple of those.

Pseudopath

Quote from: jobotic on January 27, 2020, 02:54:18 PM
I've still never seen the last episode. Couldn't bear to have it end so put it off and then it vanished from iplayer. It's probably somewhere to be seen, I haven't looked.

It's on Dailymotion, including the loveliest scene in UK comedy history at 18:17.

SteK

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 27, 2020, 03:08:11 PM
It's on Dailymotion, including the loveliest scene in UK comedy history at 18:17.

Is that the look on Terry's face when when he glances at Sheila sat in the field?

Cardenio I

That scene's incredible.

Just started a re-watch of this myself - just a joyous, beautiful show. The sort of thing that helps keep some inner light in the darkest winter nights of the soul.

jobotic

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 27, 2020, 03:08:11 PM
It's on Dailymotion, including the loveliest scene in UK comedy history at 18:17.

Thank you.

Think i'm going to wait until this country is less depressing or at least until I fell less shit about it. If I watch this I'll fall back down with a crash afterwards.

SteK

The bit that always sets me off and it's not even that funny is when Andy's gf leaves him as she says he's having a mid-life crisis and it will be a leather jacket and motorbike next.

Next scene is Andy Lance off detecting in the morning and Lance says 'So, what would you get?'

'Triumph probably.......'

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

They might be talking about bras, though.

Dewt

Anybody who loves this and hasn't seen the new Worzel Gummidge should see the new Worzel Gummidge.

SteK

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 27, 2020, 04:34:56 PM
They might be talking about bras, though.

Think he said '...or Kawasaki' after tho, just couldn't remember the make of the alternate bike!

Do Kawasaki do bras too?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: sick as a pike on January 27, 2020, 01:37:06 PM
Lance does use 'the c word' at one point ("cunt").

It is perhaps the most cathartic, well-judged use of the word that I have ever seen on film.  And it's in a gentle comedy about metal detecting.

SteK

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 27, 2020, 06:46:30 PM
It is perhaps the most cathartic, well-judged use of the word that I have ever seen on film.  And it's in a gentle comedy about metal detecting.

Also when Andy and Lance were watching the news about the guy who found a £1m hoard of Gold on his second go, Lance just mutters 'Fúcking b@stard'