Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:03:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Captain Tom Moore

Started by weekender, April 15, 2020, 06:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggyraiding

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 06, 2022, 02:10:07 PMAre Captain Tom masks something you can buy? Or maybe they printed them off the internet.

https://www.funkybunky.co.uk/Item/captain-tom-moore-mask

Under £3, bargain.

Or you can spend £5.49 on a Syd and Eddie 2-pack.

https://www.funkybunky.co.uk/Item/2-pack-little-and-large-masks

kalowski

Is that Eddie doing his Kung Fu "Ah Grasshopper" impression?

Kankurette

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 06, 2022, 02:10:07 PMLooking for Captain Tom news on Twitter, a tweet from a school popped up telling us about their Captain Tom themed celebrations for World Book Day 2022, including writing a fact file on Captain Tom.

They've attached a photo college of the children celebrating WBD, in one of them all the children in the front row are wearing Captain Tom masks. Most of the children have dressed up as Captain Tom or in military-style uniform.

Are Captain Tom masks something you can buy? Or maybe they printed them off the internet.

I know being a teacher is a very difficult job but really, could they not have done something more wholesome for WBD than that?
That's so fucking creepy. I'd take a gajillion Hermione Grangers and Ron Weasleys over Tiny Toms any day. It's so cultish.

Fambo Number Mive

If I was a parent at the school I'd be a bit disturbed by it. I'm sure the school is really good and the teachers do a great job, but I'm presuming at some point every child was given a letter saying "can you dress him/her up as Captain Sir Tom Moore as part of World Book Day".

Imagine if schools had to pay HIM royalties for having a "dress your offspring up as Captain Tom" day.

I also quickly scrolled past tweets featuring parents who had dressed their children up as Captain Tom. About four in all.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: oggyraiding on March 06, 2022, 02:51:58 PMhttps://www.funkybunky.co.uk/Item/captain-tom-moore-mask

Under £3, bargain.

Or you can spend £5.49 on a Syd and Eddie 2-pack.

https://www.funkybunky.co.uk/Item/2-pack-little-and-large-masks

There could be a CAB Masked meet, looking at the amount of masks on there. Dress up as President Assad or Bernard Ingham. Four different Alexander Johnson masks.

I'd love to know how many of each mask they sell.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 06, 2022, 03:52:23 PMI'd love to know how many of each mask they sell.

If you search *boris johnson mask* on eBay and check the top sellers you can often see how many they've sold and work out what's popular

Fambo Number Mive

Just read this on Captain Tom's wikipedi page. I dont really play any games aside from Grand Theft Auto San Anderes, is what they say true?

QuoteOn 2 June 2021, Paradox Interactive added Moore as a military leader in their grand strategy game Hearts of Iron IV.

Ferris

All the charities that received donations are cutting ties.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/captain-tom-royal-british-legion-charity-b2032832.html?amp

Also, this article says the charity commission investigation has been going on since last March. They knew they were in the crosshairs and carried on regardless which is astonishing.

They could have just given away another 50 grand and they'd win the PR war handily. Another 100 and they could have kept the whole operation going. As it is, charities are having to put out curt statements that their relationship has ended.

In the article, RBL explicitly say not a penny of the tat they sell with the old boys name on it is going to the CTom foundation, because profiteering is now the innate suspicion among Joe public whenever the foundation is mentioned.

elliszeroed

She'll only have sex with me if I wear the Captain Tom mask. That's how I know she's a real patriot.

JamesTC

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 11, 2022, 01:36:58 PMJust read this on Captain Tom's wikipedi page. I dont really play any games aside from Grand Theft Auto San Anderes, is what they say true?

Might get this and invade Burma.

Fambo Number Mive

Got the latest copy of Viz through the post a few days ago, there's a Captain Tom spoof feature. Did anyone else read it?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ferris on March 11, 2022, 03:33:03 PMAlso, this article says the charity commission investigation has been going on since last March. They knew they were in the crosshairs and carried on regardless which is astonishing.

isnt that because she tried to appoint herself on a 6 fig salary? They thought those 10k donations looked good! Imagine what they initially thought they could get away with!! Homer Simpson made out of gold fantasy

Treat them like benefit fraudsters. And make the two cunts walk round the prison yard 100 times a day

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 15, 2022, 11:00:44 AMisnt that because she tried to appoint herself on a 6 fig salary? They thought those 10k donations looked good! Imagine what they initially thought they could get away with!! Homer Simpson made out of gold fantasy

Treat them like benefit fraudsters. And make the two cunts walk round the prison yard 100 times a day

The real joy - all that cash they've been sitting on, Smaug-like, will have to actually go to charities because they're being watched like a hawk.

The lucre is so close to them, but they can't take it - like Indy reaching for the cup at the end of the Last Crusade.

Ferris

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: JamesTC on March 13, 2022, 01:05:07 AM

Might get this and invade Burma.

Jungle Fever trait to reflect his predilection for young native tribe maidens.
Promoted to General in his early 20's in an unprecedented move by the British Army.

Hope there's a mission where you get a platoon to transport you halfway across India to get your end away

danwho9

Captain Tom appearing in an actual video game generally played by male twenty somethings like myself is the most surreal thing i've seen in a while

Fambo Number Mive

The person who got prosecuted for their tweet about CTM has been sentenced:

QuoteSheriff Adrian Cottam told Kelly he passed the "custody threshold" but there is a presumption against prison if there is an alternative.

He sentenced him to a community payback order comprising 18 months of supervision and 150 hours of unpaid work, and said the punishment should act as a deterrence to others.

filth gabs

Captain Tom Moore Gin withdrawn from sale:

"Despite legislation stating that the actual amount going to charity from a commercial partnership must be specified, the limited edition 50cl barrel aged bottles were being sold without meeting this requirement. After The Independent raised a series of questions, the gin was quietly removed from sale.

In another development, it can be disclosed that the Captain Tom Foundation - already at the centre of an ongoing Charity Commission regulatory compliance case started in March last year  - is subject to "regulatory enquiries" by the Fundraising Regulator. The regulator has declined to detail what the enquiries are about but revealed that the enquiry began on March 7 this year."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/captain-tom-moore-charity-gin-law-b2075691.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Main&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1652193433

Ferris

Some interesting details on the gin here too:

Quote from: Ferris on March 20, 2022, 10:01:59 PMOld news, but an interesting read about all that gin-lucre.

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/captain-tom-charity-foundation-gin-raise-money.html

You can see the wheels of grift turning. We'll give some of each sale... no actually let's just give a little bit at the end... no actually let's just conveniently forget about pledges and pocket the lot.

"When asked how much money would go to Captain Tom's charity for every bottle of gin sold at £35.95, the company initially repeated only that the foundation would receive "proceeds" from sales.

Three days later this wording was removed from the website, replaced with the statement: "By supporting The Captain Tom Foundation a donation will be made." This wording was also later deleted from the site, which currently makes no reference to the charity at all.

The Captain Tom Foundation website makes no mention of the partnership, although it has featured on the foundation's other social media channels."

Ferris

Midas

Fambo Number Mive

From the Times last week:

QuoteThe Captain Tom Foundation is facing further scrutiny from the charities watchdog over a book deal and a gin partnership.

It emerged last month that the Fundraising Regulator was investigating the organisation, set up to honour the former British Army officer, who raised £38.9 million for the NHS during the pandemic.

The Times has learnt that the inquiry has led to further activity in the Charity Commission's existing compliance case against the foundation.

The commission has sought further clarification from the foundation's trustees and is examining contractual arrangements between the charity and family businesses. It is believed to relate to the sale of a Captain Sir Tom's London Dry Gin and a book deal.

A Charity Commission compliance case can, in more serious instances, result in the opening of a statutory inquiry, giving the watchdog legal powers to investigate further...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/captain-tom-charitys-100-gin-faces-more-scrutiny-tnsrx6kmx

idunnosomename

Would it kill them to say "NHS charities"

Fambo Number Mive

It helps pro austerity papers like the Times pretend the NHS has more money than it really has when they bring in the next round of spending cuts.

JamesTC

What's the betting that next Christmas they find another lost present? And I don't mean a turd round the back of a wardrobe.

This grift could go on for years.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote@captaintommoore
·
Jun 7
We have received this beautiful bear in the post as a recreation of Captain Sir Tom Moore's GQ cover. We cannot thank you all enough for your kindness and support.

Ferris

Quote from: JamesTC on June 13, 2022, 06:34:49 PMWhat's the betting that next Christmas they find another lost present? And I don't mean a turd round the back of a wardrobe.

This grift could go on for years.

There was minimal media take up for the first round of conveniently "found" presents (when did he hide them?!) and no interest at all in the reveal so this particular grift isn't worth returning to.

That said, they've badly tarnished the brand so they need an item or gesture direct From the Hand of Tom to redeem themselves, so they will come up with something.

Maybe his diaries will conveniently appear early December 2022 with ink still wet in an easily-publishable folio version, and happen to include a chapter about how it's fine when charities have cozy relationships with their directors and not to pay attention to accounts and maybe even just donate more.

Or a screenplay? Or book of sonnets? Sky's the limit really.

"My daughter Hannah is one of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met. Honest to a fault. When she was very young, she once bought a bar of chocolate from a newsagents. When the newsagent gave her too much change, young Hannah declared "sir, you have given me too much change. Please accept it back because there is no way I would ever take money that I'm not fairly entitled to." Another time she'd arranged a surprise birthday party for me and when I asked where we were going, she just blurted out everything and ruined the surprise because she's utterly incapable of lying, no matter whether it be a white lie or a declaration to an official body such as the Inland Revenue."

Ferris

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 14, 2022, 05:49:10 PM"My daughter Hannah is one of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met. Honest to a fault. When she was very young, she once bought a bar of chocolate from a newsagents. When the newsagent gave her too much change, young Hannah declared "sir, you have given me too much change. Please accept it back because there is no way I would ever take money that I'm not fairly entitled to." Another time she'd arranged a surprise birthday party for me and when I asked where we were going, she just blurted out everything and ruined the surprise because she's utterly incapable of lying, no matter whether it be a white lie or a declaration to an official body such as the Inland Revenue."

"...so just to recap: very honest, especially around money. Wanted to make that point crystal clear.

Anyway, that reminds me of the time I definitely wanted to go on a jolly to Barbados in a pandemic, unvaccinated and against government advice and how it was all my idea and my daughter was dead against it but I insisted, so any harm that befell anyone as a result is entirely my own doing (though to be clear, I was feeling a bit pneumonia-y before I even got on the plane! Just thought I'd mention that, don't know why, must be losing my marbles! Anyway)."