Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:04:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
There is a lot going on in Vengeance on Varos. Satire! Video nasties! Tiny go-karts!

Also, the supporting cast - Stephen Yardley! Forbes Collins! a young Owen Teale!

Malcy

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 27, 2022, 03:13:47 PMThere is a lot going on in Vengeance on Varos. Satire! Video nasties! Tiny go-karts!

Also, the supporting cast - Stephen Yardley! Forbes Collins! a young Owen Teale!

And Martin Jarvis!

Replies From View

Forbes Collins sounds like a book publisher to be honest.

Remembrance of the Daleks - 3 wonderful, wonderful cliffhangers. I like the way they escalate the threat over the three. Single Dalek, fine but it can FLYYYYY, then three Daleks, then a Dalek spaceship!

Also
Stunt Arranger: Tip Tipping :)

Deanjam

I guess this counts as old Who now, but I thought I'd share this pic of Caitlin Blackwood, who played the younger Amy Pond, as she looks now. I think she's actually related to Karen Gillan, but it's uncanny.

Attila

Quote from: Deanjam on April 02, 2022, 04:16:11 PMI guess this counts as old Who now, but I thought I'd share this pic of Caitlin Blackwood, who played the younger Amy Pond, as she looks now. I think she's actually related to Karen Gillan, but it's uncanny.

Golly! They're cousins, I think.

Replies From View

This popped up in my youtube suggestions today - a 30th anniversary nugget I'd never seen before:

I think the plastic chair from Terror of the Autons only works in the middle:

Norton Canes

Touching little article about Target/VHS covers artist Colin Howard: Doctor Who: 'The monsters fired my creative brain up'

Deanjam

This popped up on my Twitter feed, thought you all might enjoy it.

daf

What a great find! Must be during the 11th season as there's a pic of Sarah Jane on the wall.

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on April 10, 2022, 09:54:59 PMThis popped up on my Twitter feed, thought you all might enjoy it.

Who's Peter?

"Jon Pertwee alongside generic teenager with George Harrison hair."

What does it mean "first invited"?

Does his t-shirt have on it a photo from when he saw Doctor Who being filmed?

So confusing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Capaldi. But I guess you're joking? Just in case, though...

Replies From View

Wasn't joking.  Thanks for filling me in.

JamesTC

The Season 12 Blu-ray also has a mention of Capaldi in an interview with Tom Baker and Lis Sladen from 1975. He was big in the fan circles back then.

Blofelds Cat

Didn`t he make himself a bit of a pest with the production office--a proto Ian Levine with better hair--then binned Who off when he discovered punk?

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on April 11, 2022, 12:48:36 PMThe Season 12 Blu-ray also has a mention of Capaldi in an interview with Tom Baker and Lis Sladen from 1975. He was big in the fan circles back then.

Oh no, this is starting to feel a bit like when Jimmy Savile had escalating popularity and influence.  I do hope there's no shocking ending this time.

Quote from: Replies From View on April 11, 2022, 11:21:38 AM"Jon Pertwee alongside generic teenager with George Harrison hair."

Quite ironic that, as Capaldi did play George Harrison in a 1985 film.

Didn't he and some other bloke have rival Doctor Who fan clubs in the early 70s, or something like that?

Malcy

I'm sure i saw it with a caption from the newspaper article it was from that quoted Capaldi as saying "going on to set to pretend I can be something I never will be" or something.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on April 11, 2022, 06:55:00 PMI'm sure i saw it with a caption from the newspaper article it was from that quoted Capaldi as saying "going on to set to pretend I can be something I never will be" or something.

And it said underneath that "at no point will I play the Doctor between the years 2013 and 2017"

Deanjam

Here's the full article that picture is taken from.

Norton Canes

Never mind The Doctor, he was just about the right age to be cast as Adric

Deanjam

Weird to imagine an Adric with charm and personality.

Midas

Malcy

Yeah in Cinemas in July as well. Hoping they are in near me.

JamesTC

Will go to see them live if there is a Liverpool screening. Can't justify £60 for the pair of them, as much as I am tempted. If there is a standard 4K release after the limited editions sell out, then I will be all over them.

I have actually never seen the Peter Cushing films. When I was younger and had the chance, I swerved them as they weren't "proper Doctor Who". These days I am more open to ephemera.

Replies From View

I'm not a huge fan of them - I find them distracting because they are so similar to The Daleks and Dalek Invasion of Earth yet have so many jarring differences at the same time.  The recasting doesn't work for me, along with the inside of the TARDIS, the fact that the Doctor is just a human in the films - they are a strange remodelling in lots of ways.

Positives:  They show that technicolour Daleks won't automatically fail, and Bernard Cribbins is good.

FredNurke

Philip Madoc does a good turn in the second one, too, if memory serves.

petril

Quote from: Blofelds Cat on April 11, 2022, 01:11:05 PMDidn`t he make himself a bit of a pest with the production office--a proto Ian Levine with better hair--then binned Who off when he discovered punk?

and A Kick Up The Eighties

Replies From View

I do wish they'd gone on to make an adaptation of The Chase, however.  Whereas The Daleks and Dalek Invasion of Earth were already solid stories, I'd love to see how they'd have dealt with The Chase's flaws.

The first one has some interminably long Dalek chats.

The second one flies by, iirc.

Bernard Cribbins and Roy Castle are both great but I guess we probably knew that.

I saw the first one in the Mockingbird in Brum a few years back, followed by a Dr Who quiz.

Every - and I mean EVERY - question was followed by someone raising their hand and pointing out that the answer wasn't quite correct.

E.g. "In which episode did other Time Lords first appear?"