Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:18:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster New Zealand / Misc International Versions

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 02, 2020, 08:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crumb

Quote from: olliebean on August 21, 2021, 11:06:33 AM
Indeed, a Google image search turns up a variety of looks for him, of which his Taskmaster one is significantly the least flattering.

Think this Mexican dad look is worse

The Lurker

Latest episode now on YouTube, seems to have been uploaded faster than usual.

Laura's
Spoiler alert
sabotaging
[close]
in the team task a particular joy, I did wonder if there was more to that task but I was mainly wondering why they weren't taking the handbrake off the car to move it closer. Enjoyed the
Spoiler alert
time travelling
[close]
task too.

Good to see the website for Paul's key company works too: www.paulskeyemporium.com

MrsWarboysLover

I've been watching this, up to episode 5, and I love it.
Agree with the others here who prefer Paul to Alex.
All the contestants have been great, but I particularly love Guy.
I'd even say it's been better than the last few series of UK Taskmaster (its definitely better than the richard herring series)

Bahamadia

Just starting watching Series 2 last night and burning through episodes with real joy! A real tonic for my partner and I as we are currently deep into our sixth Covid lockdown. I think I prefer the NZ show to the original too, unless that is just some fatigue at the recent UK line-ups, I'm not sure. I also had trouble telling the difference between Urzila Carlson's accent with the other Kiwis, and I'm Australian. I'm from Tas (living in Melbourne now) though so we don't have particularly strong Australian accents down there so that might be a factor.
David Correos may be my favourite Taskmaster contestant of all time- his passion
Spoiler alert
for the tree frog until he understood the task
[close]
nearly killed me.

SteveDave

I can't stop saying "David Correos" in Paul Williams' voice and it's becoming a problem.

I'm now sold on this being the best ever series of Taskmaster.

Whereas people seem to judge the UK series on the quality of the studio "banter", this group of contestants (plus Paul) have created a more supportive environment where they just want everyone else to be funny. There's been some hilariously aggressive moments, but there's less of a competitive edge - they're all obviously thrilled when it's the others who get the big laughs.

UK series 11 was great. But after this NZ run, UK series 12 is going to feel like a massive downgrade when we end up with ten episodes of Alan Davies sulking.

DrGreggles

UK series 5 and 7 are my favourites, but the two NZ series so far are up with them.

BeardFaceMan

5 and 7 are my faves, with series 1 getting a special mention just because of the overall vibe, but these 2 NZ series sit very comfortably just behind those 3 UK series for me, Clive.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 27, 2021, 11:56:56 AM
5 and 7 are my faves, with series 1 getting a special mention just because of the overall vibe, but these 2 NZ series sit very comfortably just behind those 3 UK series for me, Clive.

I might have to rewatch them but NZ S2 is on a par with S7 for me right now, and only S5 is a tiny, tiny bit ahead. I found myself genuinely feeling upset when Jeremy mentioned that it was all going to be over with in two weeks time, and feel the same way as Wayman C. McCreery, especially if Alan Davies is as annoying as I fear he might be.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah Alan Davies is one of those people that I've just never got, ever. Like I literally can't think of a single thing he's done or said that's made me laugh. Been a while since there's been a UK series with someone I considered a comedy black hole so I'm not particularly looking forward to UK series 12, I'll take more NZ eps with people I don't know please. The vibe of these NZ series reminds me of UK series 1, when it was all still fresh and fun.

Captain Z

I'm enjoying this, but Jeremy Wells is an absolute vacuum in the host role. It reminds me of Andy Dawson's complete inability to run with any of Bob's flights of fancy on Athletico Mince. I know it's probably the least important part of the show but I'm always left thinking that the studio segments are never as entertaining as they might be.

"The Three Friends" are individually, and collectively, excellent contestants though.

Famous Mortimer

He tries, but with so much good stuff coming from the people around him, he doesn't need to be Greg Davies.

He'll be fine until they have a bad bunch of contestants and he has to carry the show like Greg sometimes does.

I was curious about his other work and discovered Eating Media Lunch, which included some clearly Chris Morris-inspired (and funny) stuff like this:

The Tena Koutou Challenge: https://youtu.be/_Wv5oA-VQqk

Target on Target: https://youtu.be/m-z8UUkHnuA

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks to the Taskmaster reddit I've learnt that Laura Daniel, Rose Matafeo and Brynley Stent all appeared in a sketch show called "Funny Girls", and apparently all of the sketches are on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC14BztgtuXYpCfJq6QOLEHw/videos - I've only watched a few so far but I've liked what I've seen a lot.

DrGreggles

Small Man Big Horse

I'm too lazy to look up the time difference, but on Friday there's an AskMeAnything with one of the NZ task writers, he's posted on Reddit before and been very interesting so I'm looking forward to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/panelshow/comments/petoc7/ama_with_a_taskmaster_nz_task_writer_audience/

olliebean

NZT is 12 hours ahead of GMT, so since we're still on BST, 8pm there should be 9am here. (New Zealand also has daylight saving time, but it doesn't start until the end of September.)

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 27, 2021, 08:04:10 AM
They're all doing a spelling bee on Guy Montgomery's YouTube channel on Sunday: https://twitter.com/guy_mont/status/1431041097413791745
While it wasn't the most hilarious thing you'll ever see, it was nice to see them all just cracking each other up again.

Lewman

Wow what an episode!

The Paul date task might just be the funniest thing I've seen this series.

Getting sad now there's only one episode left 😭

mjwilson

Wow there's more New Zealand history than I had imagined.

Ja'moke

Guy and Paul breaking at the pina colada was great.

The Lurker

Sam Smith who did that AMA also did an interview before series two saying he's already thinking up ideas for the third series which is good news.

Also interesting to read that they contact Little Alex Horne to make sure no task has been done in the UK version - that's something I felt let the American version down as I could pre-empt how the tasks could be done as they were literally all the same ones from the UK series.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/300346161/taskmaster-nz-reveals-the-secret-to-making-comedians-feel-uncomfortable

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lewman on September 01, 2021, 10:29:00 PM
Getting sad now there's only one episode left 😭

Likewise, I feel I'll be gutted when this is over, but once it is I'll try and track down all of the cast's tv appearances elsewhere. Well, maybe not Matt Heath, but definitely the rest of them.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: The Lurker on September 03, 2021, 02:44:32 PM
Sam Smith who did that AMA also did an interview before series two saying he's already thinking up ideas for the third series which is good news.

Also interesting to read that they contact Little Alex Horne to make sure no task has been done in the UK version - that's something I felt let the American version down as I could pre-empt how the tasks could be done as they were literally all the same ones from the UK series.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/300346161/taskmaster-nz-reveals-the-secret-to-making-comedians-feel-uncomfortable

I found this bit interesting 

"I walked in on David Correos Googling, 'How to be a good contestant on Taskmaster'," he says. "The cast this year are the five most competitive people I've ever seen in anything in my life."

because I don't get a competitive vibe from them at all, I wouldn't put any of them near the level of a Gamble or Herring. I don't even know who is winning this second series, the winning feels like an afterthought, they've got the vibe of the show perfect. It always feels like you're watching them try their hardest to be funny rather than trying their hardest to win.

DrGreggles

Laura seems the most competitive, but she's brilliant so it doesn't matter.

olliebean

"How to be a good contestant on Taskmaster" isn't necessarily the same thing as "how to be a winning contestant on Taskmaster."

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 04, 2021, 09:17:33 AM
Laura seems the most competitive, but she's brilliant so it doesn't matter.

I loved her reaction to being poorly scored this week, with a Iain Stirling type it'd seem arrogant but she's so funny it just makes me like her more.

As it goes she's currently in the lead by 3 points, and Guy's in second place, with the rest a good way behind so it's all but certainly one of those two who will win (and hopefully appear in a NZ Champion of Champions episode / series).

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: olliebean on September 04, 2021, 10:34:01 AM
"How to be a good contestant on Taskmaster" isn't necessarily the same thing as "how to be a winning contestant on Taskmaster."

Exactly, it's like the NZ cast try to be good by being funny, not by trying to win at all costs, it really doesn't feel competitive at all. They really do 'get' the show, the competitive element is them trying to be funnier than everyone else, not trying to beat everyone else. They get that you win by trying to be funny, you don't win by trying to win. That's why they've made more of an effort to include open-ended tasks, or tasks that can be interpreted many different ways, that's where people get to shine and they can get creative with it. Or get batshit mental with it in the case of Correos and his rap.