Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Bumlord on May 01, 2022, 06:55:13 PMApparently he has no interest in music at all.

The evidence is mounting up here.

Didn't he do a documentary about Russian music on radio 4?

Ferris

I saw Tim key having a curry with Steven merchant at the bengal lancer in Kentish town circa 2014 and they seemed to be having a great time. Nobody else in the place.

From this I deduce I have a good memory only for ludicrously specific and esoteric things, and also that both key and merchant are great bunches of lads.

frajer

New ep up with Phil Wang, and an extra little chat with the band Spoon.

I thought Wang was good fun on Taskmaster but I haven't enjoyed what I've seen of his bland centrist comedy and this chat definitely didn't win me over. Wasn't helped by coming off the back of several great eps but bloody hell I found this shockingly dull.

PlanktonSideburns

Wang has a joke name, and a weird delivery style, and nothing else

He's basically the footlights version of that guy who used to say SPOOK or SLITHER or whatever it was, who am I thinking of

AllisonSays

The bit in the Tim Key interview where he accidentally makes Adam talk about his dead mum and then tries to pull back from it was lovely. On the 'people with weird vibes' chat, conversely, I don't totally Alex Horne. He makes me think of all the English people I know who love to go to the pub quiz.

Pimhole

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 04, 2022, 04:15:49 PMWang has a joke name, and a weird delivery style, and nothing else

He's basically the footlights version of that guy who used to say SPOOK or SLITHER or whatever it was, who am I thinking of

Roy Jay.

Key's slightly-bullying persona in his R4 shows/other stuff with Tom Basden and a little bit in his solo stage shows is definitely part of the act. His stand up persona is basically a pathetic figure and contrasting that with a slightly high-handed air or attempts at bullying just emphasises his loser status and from thence the humour arises. Not for everyone I guess.

I have found myself in the front row at one of his tour gigs and when he called on me with a question, I shrank down as I answered. He did not call on me again, unlike others he engaged with who seemed more enthusiastic. So although it is hard to define precisely, he definitely seems to take into account the individual's comfort level with the bants. Quite a skill, really.

In summary then: lovely.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: AllisonSays on May 04, 2022, 11:25:20 PMOn the 'people with weird vibes' chat, conversely, I don't totally Alex Horne. He makes me think of all the English people I know who love to go to the pub quiz.
I'm an English person and I enjoy pub quizzes. What's wrong with that?

To be fair, I am also a weirdo.

Icehaven

I know virtually nothing of Alex Horne but I got an Ayoade type vibe of trying to give the impression his very successful showbiz career happened by accident because betraying any intent or ambition doesn't fit the persona. That might be completely unfair though.

boinks

My impression is that he's a very even-keeled, unflappable character who doesn't particularly experience highs or lows of emotion (a bit sociopathic, by his own admittance, doesn't really have 'deep' friendships despite being thick as thieves with his pals). Key said in that chat with Buckles that Horne is just an unerringly positive person with a 'no worries' kind of outlook on life. I don't think he's putting anything on, really, he's just happily trotting along - though he's obviously very canny.

Twit 2

Found Horne beige as fuck. I expect he's dead inside, like every other low-brow, fame-hungry Oxbridge media type.

McFlymo

Was chuffed to see new Adam episodes, but every one of them depressed the absolute shit out of me. Everyone he interviews seems to bare him such good will and patience, yet every fucking time he does the same, tiresome centrist dad talking points.

So fucking tragic, as I loved the fuck out of him, but he has ruined everything that I once loved about him with this constant fucking whining about HOW THINGS ARE SO DIFFERENT NOW.

Fucking hell.

lb99

I don't take it as whining. The world is changing and he's processing it as a 50-something year old white man.

I've really enjoyed the last three - I like it when he's chatting with comedy mates. All four of them, Buxton, Horne, Key and Wang are really funny, good eggs.

geegra

Quote from: Pranet on April 30, 2022, 10:06:02 PMRichard Herring wasn't actually 28 years old.

He must have been at some stage though, right?

robhug

I suspect there are many people on this here forum who would think calling Putin a "centrist" as the worst possible thing they could call him

thenoise

Quote from: lb99 on May 07, 2022, 09:42:00 AMI don't take it as whining. The world is changing and he's processing it as a 50-something year old white man.

Its not changing nearly as fast or as dramatically as it was for his father's generation. And Baddaad, although a bit bemused by it all at first, eventually found something to love about whacky young people and their whacky music and views. Even became a bad ass rapper.

lb99

I don't take it that Adam disapproves of the changes, he's just getting his head round them, as I'm sure his dad had to do. I've never heard him be critical of the new world and its values.

petril

hoping he can parlay this into a BaaadAd thing

be great to get him to a modern music festival or something, get him doing it shot for shot

thenoise

Quote from: petril on May 08, 2022, 12:49:37 PMhoping he can parlay this into a BaaadAd thing

be great to get him to a modern music festival or something, get him doing it shot for shot

Culminating in him retreating to his tent and playing Talking Heads to recover.

Mobbd

Quote from: thenoise on May 08, 2022, 12:15:56 PMAnd Baddaad, although a bit bemused by it all at first, eventually found something to love about whacky young people and their whacky music and views.

I think Adam gives younger talents a lot of time. He's definitely more up on new things than I am. I'm 11 years younger than Ads and I don't even watch Stath Lets Flats. He's doing alright.

gotmilk

Adam has admitted that any appreciation for modern pop culture shown by his father was entirely for the camera. They had to write positive things for him to say lest the segments feel too bleak. The one exception was the bit with Coolio, whom Nigel genuinely seemed to take a liking to.

thenoise

Quote from: gotmilk on May 08, 2022, 04:19:39 PMAdam has admitted that any appreciation for modern pop culture shown by his father was entirely for the camera. They had to write positive things for him to say lest the segments feel too bleak. The one exception was the bit with Coolio, whom Nigel genuinely seemed to take a liking to.

I think he was quite fond of the young lady he shared a joint with at the music festival too.

Pink Gregory

You mean he genuinely didn't liken Gaz Coombes to Tigger?

Pranet

Lazy Susan only having the vaguest idea who Newman and Baddiel were is today's thing that reminded me I am old.

Twit 2

Christ, after suffering through Alex Horne: Phil Wang...just nothing. Barely a person. A bloke who went to Oxbridge and now has a media career, even though he has no talent or personality. Actually shocked at how this utter cunt of smug, vacuous blandness has somehow entered my consciousness.

Cold Meat Platter

Have been listening to old Celebrity Regressions from XFM and by fuck Adam is brilliant in these. The Liam Neeson one had me in stiches "RUBBISH! I'm talking RUBBISH!" His little daft noises are great.

sutin

Quote from: Pranet on May 12, 2022, 07:35:26 PMLazy Susan only having the vaguest idea who Newman and Baddiel were is today's thing that reminded me I am old.

I'm 39 and I have no idea who Newman is, I knew Baddiel initially from Fantasy Football League.

Virgo76

Quote from: sutin on May 14, 2022, 11:44:33 AMI'm 39 and I have no idea who Newman is, I knew Baddiel initially from Fantasy Football League.
They were huge in about 1993.

I don't think I knew Lazy Susan until now although they were good guests and are clearly rising stars. One of them was in This Country a bit amongst other things.

Twit 2

GenericPie

Thought it was very sweet when Buckles' son popped up during the Spoon interview.

Adam has often lamented how he's struggled to engage with his kids when they became teenagers and how his sons could be particularly distant at times, so part of me imagined your typical aloof teen would show up. Turns out his son is the most polite, softly spoken, little miniature Buckles clone imaginable - some of his intonations were absolutely identical to Adam's.