Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'Whores : A New Hope

Started by non capisco, May 01, 2021, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Einstürzende Neubauten off because one of them has the 'rona. I'm annoyed but at least I got to see them this year, my mate who I was going with hasn't.

Famous Mortimer

There's a pretty popular regional Pink Floyd tribute band called El Monstero, and they've got a show coming up. Not worth mentioning until you get to their support act... Living Colour!

Not only do I not think there's a ton of fanbase crossover, I can't think of many other examples of a reasonably famous real band supporting a tribute band. And the radio ad said Living Colour are going to join El Monstero on stage to "expand Pink Floyd", which might be interesting.

JaDanketies

Saw Alanis Morissette the other day, she slayed it. Sounded just as good as she did on the album. Doing a retrospective of Jagged Little Pill.

Next gig is Phoebe Bridgers. I'm listening to loads of pop music these days. The concerts are surprisingly different to Batuskha

iamcoop

Quote from: WhoMe on June 16, 2022, 06:17:07 PMDecided to grab a ticket for Sepultura and Crowbar in November, mainly for Crowbar. Never actually been to a proper metal gig and who knows how many more times these bands will come across the pond now that they're getting on a bit. Sod it, should be fun.

I saw Sepultura live at a tiny venue in Reading a few years ago and they were great. I think it's the same line up now as it was then. (Paulo Jnr and Andreas Kisser being the only two original members left) but they did all the hits and kept the post "classic era" stuff to a minimum. Also their current drummer, Eloy Casagrande, is an absolute fucking madman. A beast of a drummer.

Saw Richard Dawson & Circle last night who were incredible, really really good

The Mollusk

Quote from: Peacock Johnson on July 13, 2022, 06:47:26 AMSaw Richard Dawson & Circle last night who were incredible, really really good

They're cracking aren't they? They have so much fun together and Dawson is visibly smitten to be playing with his favourite band.

Not sure if you got this (as Dawson dedicated it to a specific person who I think is involved with the festival) but at Supersonic they closed with a pumping extended psychedelic jam cover of "Echo Beach" that had the whole room dancing their arses off. Brilliant show.

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 13, 2022, 08:58:13 AMThey're cracking aren't they? They have so much fun together and Dawson is visibly smitten to be playing with his favourite band.

Not sure if you got this (as Dawson dedicated it to a specific person who I think is involved with the festival) but at Supersonic they closed with a pumping extended psychedelic jam cover of "Echo Beach" that had the whole room dancing their arses off. Brilliant show.

Yeah we got Echo Beach and great it was too. Would have been good to get a Circle take on some Dawson songs like Jogging, Ogre or Black Triangle.

idunnosomename

Arizona death-metal band Gatecreeper at Manchester, a band recently signed to Nuclear Blast with a lot of hype around them. eh. it was fun, but I was bit underwhelmed actually. Despite enjoying their albums, their songs came off as sounding incredibly similar throughout live. jugga-jug-jugga-jugga etc.

pleasure to see Leeds tech-death craftsmen Cryptic Shift again though after they opened Damnation festival last November. the openers Celestial Sanctuary, from Cambridge, were impressive too, certainly for just being a three-piece (I think? unless my memory and couple of phone photos deceive me). really good rhythm guitarist to hold them all together anyway.

Famous Mortimer

Boris are playing my neck of the woods in a few weeks, should be a top night.

JaDanketies

Phoebe Bridgers was the tits. She asked, "Are there any dads in the crowd" before she played Kyoto and I made a big noise and she acknowledged me, looked straight at me and waved and everything. We're mates now. Was galled that I got a ticket from Viagogo but in reality a standing ticket for Phoebe Bridgers should've been more than I paid anyway and she should be doing massive venues.

Was expecting to cry for Chinese Satellite and I was in a right state. As was everyone else, probably. That song gives me incredible ASMR even when I'm working. They had a Cornet or Horn player too and the sound was beautiful. Someone threw up and some youngsters actually sat down front centre stage between the support and Phoebe so they could reserve a good spot, I was amazed at their gumption

Next is UADA and Panzerfaust, which is the first heavy metal concert I have gone to since....  March when I saw Napalm Death and Raging Speedhorn, or Weigedood. But I thought it was longer until I thought about it there now, feels like ages.

The Mollusk

Got tickets to see Ethio jazz titan Mulatu Astatke at the end of August. I've been entranced by the smoky mystique of this music for a little while now, so very rich and evocative, and Astatke's compositions are among the very best, as demonstrated on the seminal Éthiopiques 4 compilation. The dude's pushing 80 and I never get out to see any legendary shit like this, always seem to miss the boat, so reckon this will be a special night.

Famous Mortimer

Talking of legendary people, Laraaji (off of that album with Brian Eno and, presumably, tons of other stuff) is playing here in a month or so. At a church which regularly hosts experimental and avant-garde music nights with a moderate emphasis on the New Age end of things, which means I'm going to take a nice comfy cushion cos sitting on a wooden pew is not conducive to getting lost in the drone.

cosmic-hearse

Flipper have only gone & cancelled :(

sardines

Visions festival last weekend.
Mdou Moctar the highlight, a crowd louder than most of the bands a reminder to avoid London shows.

Saw forum faves Yard Act last night and you know what, thought it was great - helped being in a small sweaty venue given it was a rescheduled date.

Baba Ali as support was very good too.

jobotic

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on July 27, 2022, 07:29:55 PMFlipper have only gone & cancelled :(

Yep. You know why? Doesn't seem to say.

JaDanketies

Oh I'm dead amped about seeing clipping. in Leeds. I've been listening to them for 9 years now. I was gonna go down to London to see them in 2014 but could not afford to do so and they have not come back to these shores since. And in the meantime they've become very successful themselves in different projects, and released a bunch of great albums. it's gonna be good!

I went to the same venue in Leeds (Belgrave Music Hall & Canteen) to see Emancipator a few years ago and it was a lovely venue. They sold pizza and you could even get it and eat it when the band was on. Drove to Leeds for Emancipator but fuck that for clipping., I'm going with some other people and I don't have to get up early the next day so someone else can drive me or we can get a taxi. Can't believe I'm gonna see clipping. in such a small venue, finally

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: jobotic on July 28, 2022, 12:35:43 PMYep. You know why? Doesn't seem to say.

Some vague statement about ill-health, though they're still playing in the States days before they were supposed to play in New Cross

Emma Ruth Rundle last night in Manchester Stoller Hall. Got front row tickets out of a final released batch last week. Lovely stripped back acoustic set - catch her and Jo Quail tonight or tomorrow in London/Brighton if you're so inclined. Last night was sold out, but loads of empty seats. Presumably with it being rearranged a few times - there will be tickets out there to be bought I expect.

JaDanketies

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on August 22, 2022, 03:40:44 PMEmma Ruth Rundle .... loads of empty seats.

SIL will be gutted to have missed that. Unless she went, I dunno.

The next thing that I'd like to go to is HOERSFEST all the way in York, an all-dayer headlined by Petrol Bastard and Petrol Hoers in the place it all started. However I did see both headliners earlier this year, and it is in York which is quite far away from me. 

The next gig I actually have tickets for is Soccer Mommy on 20 September. I bought an album off bandcamp and these tickets but tbh I never deliberately put her on, although I know I like her music. Should be young people there anyway to make me feel trendy.

UADA and Panzerfaust were dead good. It's a totally different vibe at metal gigs with <100 people there. You can walk about freely for a start. And almost everyone there is a male of my age so I don't feel like I have to be on good behaviour. Not like I'm second-guessing myself in a crowd of 1000 16yos, but I might be sketched out if I was among them and a man in his 30s was sniffing ket or drunkenly talking to me. The day after Mcr UADA and Panzerfaust played London, and the day after that UADA couldn't play Brutal Assault cos they got stopped at our border with a passport that was nearly out of date and got Shengen zoned. Embarrassing

Famous Mortimer

Napalm Death are coming to town soon! I forgot to buy tickets the last time, but joke's on everyone else cos that show was cancelled.

The Mollusk

Ethio-jazz grandaddy Mulatu Astatke was exactly as enchanting and brilliant as I'd hoped last night. The dude himself spent about half the set softly playing a very basic rhythm on the percussion, (however his vibraphone solos were gorgeous when he got into it) but he's old as heck, and besides his compositions are astonishing so he has more than earned the right to chill and let his brilliant band take care of everything else. They were absolutely on fire, the set gradually escalated from sultry mood pieces to searing hot dance rhythms and by the end of the night the place was totally jumping. Really honoured to have witnessed a legend like that in the flesh, he was beaming and loving it.

HOWEVER

FUCKING HELL

SOMEONE TELL THESE DICKHEAD KIDS GETTING INTO JAZZ TO SHUT THE FUCK UP AT GIGS

We had to move about four times in the crowd to get away from pockets of very audible conversation. These people seem to think that when the music isn't lively, when it's building up or winding down, that's an invitation to have a chat. Mate, who the fuck talks ever during a jazz performance?? It was unbearable. And so it goes, I ended up getting into an actual argument with two pricks behind me.

We had moved forward in the crowd to escape chat from other people and ended up stood in front of them. I was the same height as the other people just ahead so their view wasn't any more obscured than it already was, but they started audibly bitching about me despite one of them saying "to be fair we didn't complain when it happened". The rest went like this:

Me: Can you guys please stop talking? I can't hear the music and it's really distracting.

He: You moved in front of us mate, give us our spot back.

Me: It's a gig. There was a space, people move about into spaces like this, that's how crowds tend to operate at gigs.

He: Are you gonna let us stand in front of you?

Me: (Laughing) No. And what does it matter to you? You aren't paying attention to the music, you may as well be stood at the back of the room.

He: I think you should move and let us stand there chief.

Me: Yeah you really aren't winning this argument.

He: I'm winning this argument by calling you chief.

Me: You're a cunt mate, now fuck off.

They tried carrying on chatting for about another 20 seconds before someone else leaned in and said "it is really fucking annoying so be quiet" and they left.

Seriously who talks at jazz gigs

JaDanketies

Thank you for your service The Mollusk and fuck those barbarians back to hell.

Blinder Data

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 26, 2022, 09:44:36 AMThey tried carrying on chatting for about another 20 seconds before someone else leaned in and said "it is really fucking annoying so be quiet" and they left.

Ooh, I would've loved to have been that guy. Swooped in, gritted teeth, not angry but with a glint in your eye that says you've had e-fucking-nough, sending the chatty bastards on their way.

Big lol at "you took my spot". I wonder if that was the first gig that those people have attended in a while, and they've forgotten what it's like? When I saw David Byrne a few years ago, the guy on the end of the row was getting exasperated at having to stand up to let people in and out when they needed to piss or drink. He got so irate he made us not want to leave - as if we were being unreasonable! I should've told him that this is what gigs are like, get used to it.

Joe Qunt

I'm going to Blackpool tonight to see We Are Scientists for the seventh time. I'll be the fella in the dinosaur jumper. Give me a wave and I'll buy youse a pint!

Bobby Treetops

My mate went to a gig a few years ago, and her and her mate found some space in the crowd only for someone to tap them on the shoulder and say 'Can you move, my boyfriend's gone to the bar and you're standing in his space' They told her to fuck off.

And I fucking hate people that talk through gigs, fuck off to the bar if you want to chat wearisome bollocks all the way through, maaaaaaattteeee. I think you get this more in London, as there's more wankers in London who go to gigs.

I feel your pain.

The Mollusk

There's just more wankers in London period. Entitled, ignorant twats who operate in their own little bubble.

I forgot to add to the above that one of the two guys - the one who was gobby to me - had also gone to bar unbeknownst to us when we moved in front of his mate. It was when he came back with the drinks they started complaining and his mate said "to be fair I didn't say anything when they moved there". If he actually had said something I probably would have offered for him to move in front of us but I wouldn't have left space for his mate. In fact no fuck that I wouldn't do either, you're opening the door to all sorts of implied etiquette then. Just face the facts, you left the crowd/left a space open, someone took it.

Vodkafone

I can't quite believe the words I am about to type, because I thought it would never happen, never even crossed my mind that it would be a possibility, but on 29 October I am going to see UNSANE

Fucking hell CaB. Won't have to worry about people talking at that one either.

The Mollusk

I was very tempted to get a ticket for them myself, but gigs have become more expensive with everything else and the London date is £20, which felt a bit steep to me. I love Occupational Hazard (thank you, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater!) but have never really delved any deeper.

That said I did just blindly spend £30 on CDs so I dunno, might still end up grabbing one if I get pissed and carefree this weekend.

Vodkafone

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 26, 2022, 03:11:39 PMI was very tempted to get a ticket for them myself, but gigs have become more expensive with everything else and the London date is £20, which felt a bit steep to me. I love Occupational Hazard (thank you, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater!) but have never really delved any deeper.

That said I did just blindly spend £30 on CDs so I dunno, might still end up grabbing one if I get pissed and carefree this weekend.

The Peel sessions (available on YouTube) are almighty