Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:03:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

James Corden

Started by Leej88, June 01, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: thr0b on April 10, 2022, 06:24:03 PMMoe's mentor does it in that episode of the Simpsons where his mentor is in it.

So it must be a thing if it's being parodied I guess.

Quote from: Ray Travez on April 10, 2022, 06:40:23 PMI'm sure I've seen this. He takes off his clothes and leaves them on the beach?

I've got an image of the colours being washed out, like maybe it's approaching dusk. And the shot contains a large section of the beach.

Yes!! This is exactly it. At least I haven't imagined it.

kalowski

Is it The End, with Burt Reynolds and Dom De Luise?

JamesTC

Quote from: Ferris on April 10, 2022, 06:52:46 PMSo it must be a thing if it's being parodied I guess.

Just thought exactly this. Apparently it is a reference to the film Being There.

Andy147

Various possibilities given on the TV Tropes page Suicide By Sea.

McDead

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 10, 2022, 04:01:10 PMI hope when Corden returns home after his chat show stint is over, something like the walk of shame in Dead Poet's Society occurs, where he has to walk down a long road whilst his peers turn their backs on him, and by the end he's in floods of tears.

Actually, is that Dead Poet's Society or not? Some film anyway.

I think you're thinking of Lords of Discipline, a West Point potboiler from 1983. Used to be on telly a lot, but not so much these days. Features Michael Biehn, a young Bill Paxton and a lead who looks like Patrick Swayze, but isn't. There are a few other possibilities, but this is the one that's most like Dead Poets Society.

Twit 2

Quote from: Ray Travez on April 10, 2022, 06:40:23 PMI'm sure I've seen this. He takes off his clothes and leaves them on the beach?

I've got an image of the colours being washed out, like maybe it's approaching dusk. And the shot contains a large section of the beach.

Finding Nemo

poodlefaker

Scent of a Woman, mate. Corden would've been one of the bullies though; Philip Seymour Hofman type.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: McDead on April 10, 2022, 07:27:41 PMI think you're thinking of Lords of Discipline, a West Point potboiler from 1983. Used to be on telly a lot, but not so much these days. Features Michael Biehn, a young Bill Paxton and a lead who looks like Patrick Swayze, but isn't. There are a few other possibilities, but this is the one that's most like Dead Poets Society.

YES! I was sure it was Dead Poets. Thanks. I've got an urge to watch it again now.

There. That's what should happen to the cunt.

McDead

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 10, 2022, 09:31:26 PMYES! I was sure it was Dead Poets. Thanks. I've got an urge to watch it again now.

There. That's what should happen to the cunt.

It's a pretty decent, well meaning yarn, with a good cast, but it's a bit on the nose. TV tidbit: it was directed by Franc Roddam, who also created MasterChef.

LordMorgan

Quote from: McDead on April 10, 2022, 09:36:21 PMIt's a pretty decent, well meaning yarn, with a good cast, but it's a bit on the nose. TV tidbit: it was directed by Franc Roddam, who also created MasterChef.

And Auf Weidersehen,Pet

Famous Mortimer

It happens in "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy", of course (with the fellow being played by Douglas Adams himself) but...I know it's not that, and I now want to watch the TV series again.

jobotic

Reginald Perrin innit or am I missing something?

jamiefairlie

MP John Stonehouse was the oldest example I know of

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm off. Cigs mate

That's the sea mate. Go the other way

Yeah cheers

SpiderChrist

Quote from: jobotic on April 11, 2022, 12:10:45 AMReginald Perrin innit or am I missing something?

That's what I was thinking

George White

Quote from: McDead on April 10, 2022, 09:36:21 PMIt's a pretty decent, well meaning yarn, with a good cast, but it's a bit on the nose. TV tidbit: it was directed by Franc Roddam, who also created MasterChef.
Also shot in the UK, hence the participation of Ed Bishop, Stuart Milligan, Matt Frewer, Simon Shepherd off Peak Practice, Jason Connery...

Ray Travez

It's not Perrin, it's a more arty shot, coming at the end of a film. The mood is sombre.

My thoughts are that it's arthouse, and I probably saw it on channel 4 in the late 80's / early 90's. Other than that I don't know. The TV Tropes page didn't ring any bells.

Bad Ambassador

McChesney Duntz

Bruce Dern at the end of Coming Home?

Tokyo van Ramming

colacentral

The walking into the sea to drown thing is also how the short story "The Awakening" ends:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awakening_(Chopin_novel)

QuoteIn devastated shock, Edna rushes back to Grand Isle, where she had first met Robert Lebrun. Edna seeks escape in an ultimate manner by committing suicide, drowning herself in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

paruses

This thread seems to have shunned James Corden. Job done.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Ray Travez on April 11, 2022, 09:07:44 AMIt's not Perrin, it's a more arty shot, coming at the end of a film. The mood is sombre.

My thoughts are that it's arthouse, and I probably saw it on channel 4 in the late 80's / early 90's. Other than that I don't know. The TV Tropes page didn't ring any bells.
IMDb lists 100 films featuring suicide by drowning, although you can narrow it down by year. The scene does sound familiar, although I might be mixing up multiple films. Certainly none of those names rings a bell.

Ray Travez

No, for me neither. It's a mystery