Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:03:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pink Floyd - Animals new stereo/5.1 mixes

Started by Rich Uncle Skeleton, June 10, 2021, 10:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 10, 2021, 02:06:02 PMDull, isn't it? Unlike Animals, which is my favourite Floyd album.

You love Ricky Gervais' stand-up show Animals.

purlieu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 10, 2021, 09:47:58 PMTo be honest unless the original mix/pressing of something was bollocks when has a remastered actually changed an album in a meaningful way?
Andrew Liles's 2008 remaster of Current 93's Nature Unveiled is a revelation, so much more going on in there than anyone ever knew.
Underworld's first two albums received wonderful remasters too, once again bringing the albums to life in a really amazing way.
A lot of the time a subtle remastering is also very helpful in just bringing the overall volume up a little, which is especially useful if you've got your collection on shuffle and a modern track is followed by a 60s song that's otherwise about half the volume.
And pretty much all albums released before the advent of CDs have benefitted from a format-appropriate remaster; a lot of first generation CDs were made straight from the vinyl-ready master, which is where the format's reputation for being tinny originates, as this didn't account for the much bassier sound of vinyl.

But yeah, there are plenty of totally unnecessary remasters at this point in time, especially when an album has been remastered numerous times. Usually a '90s / early '00s remaster is more than good enough. The only examples I've heard where a more recent version has improved the previous remaster are The Moody Blues (subtly) and Tangerine Dream's Virgin albums (serious improvements in a couple of places). In most cases, the later version is either inferior, or similar enough to be unnecessary.

dontpaintyourteeth

I know you're supposed to like Syd the most but I reckon Animals is actually the best Floyd album. Can't be arsed with all this bickering that they're somehow still doing though, it's pretty tedious.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 10, 2021, 09:47:58 PMTo be honest unless the original mix/pressing of something was bollocks when has a remastered actually changed an album in a meaningful way?

In my experience remasters usually either mean not much difference or brickwalling it. With the exception of ZZ top where they completely fucked up their first few albums by adding loads of reverb and replacing the drummer with a machine.

The War of the Worlds remasters really changed up the synth/guitar sounds quite a bit. The 1996 mix and the 2004 mix are very distinctively different IMO. I'll make a comparison sometime.

bgmnts

The notion that Roger Waters is banned from the Pink Floyd fan page on Facebook elicited a massive laugh from me.

Why did Gilmour ban him? Cringey old fuckers.

Pauline Walnuts

I don't think that's quite correct, Roger was whinging on that the official Pink Floyd website wasn't covering his solo albums.

I don't think Roger's official website covered David 'Dave' Gilmour solos albums either.

buzby

Quote from: H-O-W-L on June 30, 2022, 11:19:38 PMThe War of the Worlds remasters really changed up the synth/guitar sounds quite a bit. The 1996 mix and the 2004 mix are very distinctively different IMO. I'll make a comparison sometime.
The 2004 mix was a complete remix from scratch, starting from the newly digitised original 48-track multitrack masters rather than a remaster from the stereo master tape (whixh is what the 1996 remaster was). It was done primarily to produce the 24-bit 96kHz 5.1 SACD release, but a new stereo downmix of the 5.1 mix was also produced (it was a hybrid SACD disc, which plays the stereo mix in normal CD players)

Shaky

I tend to side with Roge because the majority of the music Floyd came out with after he left is a load of overproduced MOR bollocks. Seeing pictures of Mason, Gilmour and their employee Richard Wright standing around in their jeans and suit jackets like they're auditioning for Top Gear always makes me feel a bit queasy. I've no doubt Waters is a prick but he took the soul of the band with him.

buzby

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on July 01, 2022, 12:22:05 AMI don't think that's quite correct, Roger was whinging on that the official Pink Floyd website wasn't covering his solo albums.

I don't think Roger's official website covered David 'Dave' Gilmour solos albums either.
The Pink Floyd offical site does publish news items about solo stuff from Gilmour and Mason, despite them both having their own official sites too. I can see the old curmudgeon's point on that.

SteveDave

Despite buying it for 50p from that record shop that used to be under Bristol bus station about 20 years ago, I've never heard "Animals". I will listen to it today and come back with my "musings"

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: SteveDave on July 01, 2022, 09:41:07 AMDespite buying it for 50p from that record shop that used to be under Bristol bus station about 20 years ago, I've never heard "Animals". I will listen to it today and come back with my "musings"

REPLAY! I loved that place. Much missed.

SteveDave

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 01, 2022, 09:51:22 AMREPLAY! I loved that place. Much missed.

Yes! I found my first copy of "Squeeze" by the Velvet Underground in there and was cock-a-hoop. Their 50p racks were the best.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Replies From View on June 30, 2022, 06:23:25 PMYou love Ricky Gervais' stand-up show Animals.

I bet you'd love Animal (F*** Like A Beast) by W.A.S.P.

SteveDave

I've now listened to it. Why didn't they write any songs?

Head Gardener

I put some visuals to one of my Pink Floyd mixes a few weeks ago and it has done remarkably well, might do some More (geddit?)

Replies From View

Waters was right that Pink Floyd should have ended when he left.

Controversial and timely opinion, I know.

crankshaft

Quote from: Replies From View on July 01, 2022, 11:36:13 AMWaters was right that Pink Floyd should have ended when he left.

Controversial and timely opinion, I know.

You may well be right, but whilst there are extremely slim pickings on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell, Waters manages to come up with the lush but hook-free The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking, the poor Radio KAOS and the would-have-been-a-belter-if-it-was-half-as-long Amused To Death.

It takes him until 2017 to finally muster an album that can stand with his work with PF - Is This The Life We Really Want, which is excellent and, handily, is basically Animals 2: Afghan Boogaloo.

Replies From View

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 30, 2022, 05:46:01 PMSeptember release, about fucking time!

Edit: https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/pink-floyds-animals-reissue-confirmed-for-october/

To touch on what I'd said in the rip off thread about the Hey Hey Rise Up single, I'm really surprised the deluxe edition (aka the same thing but on 3 formats) isn't more expensive in this day and age.

Listened to this album once a day at work the last week and wondered what was happening to this remix so really excited to finally hear it

"Deluxe gatefold edition".  Imagine hyping anything up on the basis of how it folds.

Replies From View

Quote from: crankshaft on July 01, 2022, 11:56:58 AMYou may well be right, but whilst there are extremely slim pickings on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell, Waters manages to come up with the lush but hook-free The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking, the poor Radio KAOS and the would-have-been-a-belter-if-it-was-half-as-long Amused To Death.

It takes him until 2017 to finally muster an album that can stand with his work with PF - Is This The Life We Really Want, which is excellent and, handily, is basically Animals 2: Afghan Boogaloo.

I just think Gilmour should have used a different band name after the departure of Waters.  I've no particular issue with any of Gilmour's post-Waters albums as they are, just that they don't belong under the Pink Floyd name (in my view).

It would be like if Barry and Paul Chuckle parted company, but Chucklevision continued as Barry Chuckle with Wesley Snipes (and Wesley Snipes was a creatively spent force).

Replies From View

Actually no, on second thoughts it's like if Wesley Snipes was in Chucklevision from series 2 with Barry and Paul, Paul left in series 4, and then Barry left in series 9 - leaving only Wesley Snipes continuing the Chucklevision brand with maybe one of his pals like Kenneth Branagh to make it a double act.

It would be similar to the original formula, but not quite similar enough.

Replies From View

popcorn

Quote from: Replies From View on July 01, 2022, 12:11:38 PMI just think Gilmour should have used a different band name after the departure of Waters.

"David Gilmour" probably would have been all right

dontpaintyourteeth

Gilmour can sing and play guitar very well but isn't much of a writer. Waters is more or less the opposite. Neither of them would ever admit it but they got the best out of each other.

markburgle

Quote from: Shaky on July 01, 2022, 07:51:21 AMI've no doubt Waters is a prick but he took the soul of the band with him.

He was the soul of that lineup, but a soul made palatable by their interference. He was the salt to their caramel. 

Quote from: SteveDave on July 01, 2022, 11:17:10 AMI've now listened to it. Why didn't they write any songs?

I'd give it another few spins. I didn't think much of it at first either. The acoustic song seemed impossibly slight initially but now oi loves it

purlieu

I have a fondness for both Momentary Lapse and The Division Bell, with some lovely melancholic MOR stuff on both of them, but they definitely don't deserve the Pink Floyd name. They sound like someone heard 'Us and Them' and 'Wish You Were Here' and decided to use them as a template for their own far less memorable songs and then claim they're channeling Pink Floyd. I totally get why a lot of people dislike The Final Cut, but it is at least trying to be its own thing.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on July 01, 2022, 12:11:38 PMI just think Gilmour should have used a different band name after the departure of Waters.

Dave Gilmour and The Dave Gilmour Band (feat. Dave Gilmour)

Pauline Walnuts

I like the way everyone's forgotten that err.. 3rd one, the one with the boat on the clouds, that one.

Nope, it's gone again.

daf

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Shaky on July 01, 2022, 07:51:21 AMSeeing pictures of Mason, Gilmour and their employee Richard Wright standing around in their jeans and suit jackets like they're auditioning for Top Gear always makes me feel a bit queasy.

Can never think about late 80s Floyd without remembering this gem from a few years back.

Quote from: Serge on April 29, 2018, 07:27:08 PM

I have mentioned on here before that the picture of Gilmour and Mason from the gatefold sleeve of 'Momentary Lapse...' does make them look like the entertainment at a social club c.1987. "Scampi at half past nine!"

At the Their Mortal Remains exhibition, seeing all the 70s stuff where by the end of the decade they'd created this mysterious, faceless image it was very jarring moving on to the next section and seeing the Momentary Lapse... stuff.