Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

The Lurker

The Chupa Chups logo was designed by none other than... Salvador Dali!

phantom_power

Quote from: The Lurker on March 31, 2022, 10:26:27 AMThe Chupa Chups logo was designed by none other than... Salvador Dali!

And those shagging Maoams were designed by Jeff Koons

touchingcloth

Some of this is more 02022154, but it led to a wik(ipedia|tionary) chain which arsed the belt from my hat.

The shell of Battersea Power Station house neither the arts centre nor the cats and dogs home.

No the cats and dogs home's wiki page mentions a list of "notable alumni", but they're all just cats which happen to live in various Downing Street buildings, such as the Treasury Office cat.

The Treasury's chancellor of the Exchequer is so-named because the person who dealt with the countries coffers used to do so from a table covered with a chequered cloth.

The word cheque derives from the French eschec, but became "check" before being influenced by the spelling of the Exchequer. So arguably the way the mericans spell it is the original.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 02, 2022, 05:47:31 PMThe word cheque derives from the French eschec, but became "check" before being influenced by the spelling of the Exchequer. So arguably the way the mericans spell it is the original.

That's true of a lot of words, but nonetheless they are Americans, and therefore wrong.

Cold Meat Platter

It was pointed out by the food youtuber Adam Ragusea that pronouncing herbs without the hard 'H' is actually the original English way of pronouncing it, similar to how honest, hour, heir etc. are pronounced and is not, as he has been told by British commenters, 'objectively wrong'.

As the above post however: he can be as right as he likes but his status as an American invalidates this.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on April 02, 2022, 10:17:31 PMIt was pointed out by the food youtuber Adam Ragusea that pronouncing herbs without the hard 'H' is actually the original English way of pronouncing it, similar to how honest, hour, heir etc. are pronounced and is not, as he has been told by British commenters, 'objectively wrong'.

As the above post however: he can be as right as he likes but his status as an American invalidates this.

(h)arsh but fair

touchingcloth

Due to the Pilgrims finding streets awash with pigs, the country was originally called Hamerica.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on April 02, 2022, 10:17:31 PMIt was pointed out by the food youtuber Adam Ragusea that pronouncing herbs without the hard 'H' is actually the original English way of pronouncing it, similar to how honest, hour, heir etc. are pronounced and is not, as he has been told by British commenters, 'objectively wrong'.

Did people even have herbs before about 1980? Also, Americans are still cunts for not spelling it "erb".

The Dog

Dumb argument. Idiots used to use dung as a cure for left handedness and there was that time a merchant brought a giraffe back to Gloucester and they elected it mayor, people in the old days were absolute morons and nowadays we know better.

And yet they still pronounce the name Herb with a hard 'H'.  So it's best not to trust anything they say.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Darles Chickens on April 03, 2022, 09:26:15 PMAnd yet they still pronounce the name Herb with a hard 'H'.  So it's best not to trust anything they say.

They're still called things like Herb, even if they're not actual dirty Herberts. Why don't Americans ave proper names?

touchingcloth

The idea that the pyramids were built by slaves was something which Herodotus pulled from his remarkable Greek arse. The consensus from modern historians and Egyptologists is that they were built by free labourers who were paid well for their work.

I found this out after my provocative sister-in-law yammered something about "...and, of course, some people still think the pyramids were used as tombs!" I'm not daft enough to take that kind of chum she throws out as bait, so I filed it away and googled "what were the pyramids used for?" later to find out what the crackpot theory du jour is. Turns out there's fucking loads of them but, spoiler, the reality is that they were used as tombs.

Poobum

Was a great documentary on the discovery and excavation of the pyramid builders town near Giza. Was Channel 4 but can't find it. Amazing amount of details found, including stuff like the town baker's name.
These are interesting overviews.

http://www.aeraweb.org/projects/lost-city/
https://www.livescience.com/28961-ancient-giza-pyramid-builders-camp-unearthed.html

Famous Mortimer

I'd highly recommend John Romer's "A History of Ancient Egypt: From the First Farmers to the Great Pyramid", which has a ton of interesting and informative stuff about the pyramids in it.

touchingcloth

Nice, I've made a note of that on my Goodreads.

There was some interesting stuff I read about the builders when I went foraging for pyramid details about how the pyramids weren't tombs about how burial chambers of the labourers had been found at their camps, the assumption being that they would have felt that the pharaohs' burial magic would wear off on their own corpses if buried close by enough.

Just for clarity, I wasn't in any doubt myself that the pyramids were tombs, but I'm glad I went looking for what the cranks think because I found some stuff I didn't know before, and as usual the reality is way more fascinating and complex than the conspiracy theories. I read about how some early modern exploration of the great pyramid at Giza involved dynamiting open a hidden chamber where some graffiti by the builders was discovered. It's way more fascinating to think about some real humans sealing up that chamber and with it their cheeky scrawls for what they must have thought was eternity - they couldn't have been able to imagine the future developments of high explosive - than wank about ancient Egyptians creating particle accelerators with the help of aliens.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Poobum on April 05, 2022, 02:16:11 PMWas a great documentary on the discovery and excavation of the pyramid builders town near Giza. Was Channel 4 but can't find it. Amazing amount of details found, including stuff like the town baker's name.

famethrowa

Mr Banlon

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 03, 2022, 09:53:30 PMThey're still called things like Herb, even if they're not actual dirty Herberts. Why don't Americans ave proper names?
Met an American bloke in Monaco named 'Herbert'. He pronounced it 'Ur-bear'

Fr.Bigley

kalowski

Looks like he's wearing one of those Vic and Bob style cut out face masks there.
Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 07, 2022, 05:19:54 PMBrooklyn Beckham is so useless a national publication has to question his very existance.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/07/what-does-brooklyn-beckham-do-for-a-living-16421058/

Ferris

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 07, 2022, 05:19:54 PMBrooklyn Beckham is so useless a national publication has to question his very existance.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/07/what-does-brooklyn-beckham-do-for-a-living-16421058/

A gilded life. If you earned $100k a year, and worked for 100 years, thanks to tax you'd have half of what this person has already amassed in their prolific career of taking some photos and being someone's child.

Mad really.

touchingcloth

The Yankee Doodle Shandy thread made me google Buckfast, and my belt was hatted to realise that it's highly caffeinated and made in Devon.

Famous Mortimer

I visited the Buckfast monastery, many years ago. Very well manicured gardens, as I recall.

No better place to wake up under a rhododendron bush clutching an empty bottle of their product.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on April 10, 2022, 02:13:59 PMNo better place to wake up under a rhododendron bush clutching an empty bottle of their product.

As long as the bush has been well-manicured. You'd feel like an abject mess if you woke up naked and hungover under unruly foliage.

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 10, 2022, 02:25:22 PMYou'd feel like an abject mess if you woke up naked and hungover under unruly foliage.
It's never really bothered me to be honest.

touchingcloth

To be "hermetically sealed" doesn't mean "tightly sealed, in the manner of a hermit" but "tightly sealed, like some bloke called Hermes who I've never heard of before".

Me finding this knowledge was a result of the "Richard Osman hermetically sealing your bellend off with his ham sarnie lips", so let that be a lesson to the people who say that HS Art is nothing but worthless whimsy. There be wisdom, if you'd only look.