Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:22:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs then

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 17, 2021, 10:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
@bakabaka if you mention the area you might get a few recommendations for pubs that usually have good bitters on.

bakabaka

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 16, 2022, 11:57:51 PM@bakabaka if you mention the area you might get a few recommendations for pubs that usually have good bitters on.
As I'm moving to Sheffield in a month or so, I'll try the pubs in this thread that are local when I get there. Sheffield seems to have been positively mentioned several times, so I'm optimistic.

shoulders

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 16, 2022, 11:21:43 PMAh, just seen you were in Tod! No worries, glad you liked The Pub although from what I've been told, the owners (also the owners of what was Calans in Hebden Bridge) are 'of the right' and a friend has heard some quite unpleasant things about the owners' politics. Hope it's a rumour but my friend isn't the kind to bullshit. I went in there one November and every beer on the pumps had a rememberance day theme except for one which was called Gunpowder. Guess you can't really judge off that.

BTW, if you're ever in Tod, or on the way to Manchester, it's worth going over to Littleborough, just to visit The Red Lion. An incredible pub. Not sure if the beer is up to standard (they sell 'special' whch is the dregs of previous beers all mixed up*) but the pub itself is so great. They still have Babycham signs up and children are not allowed.

I sometimes think you can judge a pub by imagining what it's like to have a pint there on Christmas Eve. If there's any truth in that, then The Red Lion is one of the best pubs in the UK.

* I guess this is one of those too.

The bar flies were reasonably enlightened and moaning about someone with right wing views, bar guy seemed reasonably sound. I guess that doesn't mean much.

The Red Lion looks unreconstructed but in a good way, thanks for the recommendation. Doubtful I would have found out about that one otherwise!

itsfredtitmus

anyone got any good recommendations for pubs in liverpool?

shoulders

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 17, 2022, 12:29:06 PManyone got any good recommendations for pubs in liverpool?

Some, I don't live there so will have missed some here.

If you like, quirky, atmospheric :

Ye Cracke
Peter Kavanaghs
Ship & Mitre
Hobo Kiosk

If you like cask ales and classic heritage pubs:

Lion Tavern
Roscoe Head

Towny Working Class Singsongy Grubby Boozers that can be good in the right mood:
Hole in the Wall
White Star

Final note: The Philharmonic Dining Rooms are an architectural marvel and worth a look even if you don't ultimately stop for a drink. It's a Nicholsons pub so has a lot of sticky clattery chain churn.

Psybro

The back room in the White Star is a nice mid-afternoon haven.

shoulders

In Amsterdam. Visited a few more cracking brown cafés to add to my existing list:

Café Scharrebier
Café De Druif
Cafe Langereis
Café Slijterij Oosterling
Proeflokaal Arendsnest
Onder de Ooievaar

Paid a visit to In De Wildeman and De Dokter for old time's sake. De Dokter is totally awesome.

king_tubby

Of course, they're all brown cafes by the time he's finished with them.

Quote from: shoulders on June 14, 2022, 08:42:23 PMYeah, had their beers in Castleton, the North Yorks version... Not sure how they ended up all the way up there. Average as fuck, typical craft cash in fare.

September 2019, I walked from Hexham to Berwick along St Ostwald's Way. After the second day, one 26 miles, the second a good 15 miles walking, of cutting up towards the coast from Hexham, I stopped in Rothbury for the night.

My hotel only had Laines beers on.

Ugh.

My local is currently stocking their pink lager. It tastes of oil and raspberry ripple.

Blue Jam

In my local having a few Diet Cokes because I'm being good. Just been joined by a familiar big woolly dog who has started to recognise me as a reliable source of ear scritches. Having a dog day afternoon here.

shoulders

Dogdon Day Afternoon

Some more 1st time visits of great Amsterdam pubs today

Café Anno 1890
Café De Eland
Café Laurierboom
Café De Nieuwe Lelie
Café Daelen (to a lesser extent than the above)

Psybro

At shoulders' recommendation have been to De Pilsener Club (only customers at 10 on Saturday night - possibly due to hot weather earlier on wearing everyone out), t'Smalle and my personal favourite, de Twee Zwantjes for a very tasty La Trappe Dubbel.  All tiny, all very good.

Also a return visit to Wynand Fockinck as featured in Travel Man, a wonderful experience which is more tutored tasting than bar.

shoulders

Providing you like bruin kroege style or any traditional cosy pub Amsterdam must be the best in Europe. Not just decent boltholes for a quick pint but well over 20 venues that would be the best bar in most towns and cities, and most of them joining on to each other, never more than 10 mins walk away from the next.

I still haven't visited some so this is simply those I've been to in an approximate top to bottom order of quality

De Dokter
De Pilsener Club
De Wetering
De Druif
't Aepjen
Café Slijterij Oosterling
Café Anno 1890
In De Wildeman
De Drie Flaschjes
Café Gollem (Raamsteeg)
Café De Eland
Café Langereis
't Smalle
Café Laurierboom
De Nieuwe Lelie
Café Scharrebier
Proeflokaal Arendsnest
Hoppe
Café Mulder
Onder de Ooievaar
Proeflokaal de Ooievaar
Louis Bar (formerly In De Olofspoort)
Café Van Daele
De Spuyt

Still got more than that on the to do list... Mind-boggling.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: shoulders on June 17, 2022, 12:40:27 PMSome, I don't live there so will have missed some here.

If you like, quirky, atmospheric :

Ye Cracke
Peter Kavanaghs
Ship & Mitre
Hobo Kiosk

If you like cask ales and classic heritage pubs:

Lion Tavern
Roscoe Head

Towny Working Class Singsongy Grubby Boozers that can be good in the right mood:
Hole in the Wall
White Star

Final note: The Philharmonic Dining Rooms are an architectural marvel and worth a look even if you don't ultimately stop for a drink. It's a Nicholsons pub so has a lot of sticky clattery chain churn.
aww thanks! ill pop into one of these next time im in the city centre

madhair60

shoulders

As the mind wanders, so do the desires. I love a crawl around different venues. Seeing what's going on. Windows into worlds. Prurience but the legitimate sort.

Nevertheless it is great settling in for an afternoon with friends in one place. A few places have a really strong 'just write off the entire afternoon factor'.

Sebastian Cobb

Just discovered a pub I've become fond of and have been popping into when passing is owned by one of the guys from Bis.

madhair60

which one? big billy bis?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: madhair60 on June 24, 2022, 11:00:25 AMwhich one? big billy bis?

Scifi Steven.

My 'just seen a film and fancy a pint' haunt is unsurprisingly The State, but it's just gone down in my estimations as I decided I HAD to take a shit abd found no bog roll. Thankfully I had some old receipts and bus tickets in my wallet to sacrifice.

greencalx

In Bristol, got lost looking for the Corry Tap so went to the Portcullis instead which used to be my local. It is much improved since then, six traditional casks, six craft kegs and some Belgian taps as well. The pint I had wasn't too special, not sure if that was the choice of the beer or the keeping.

Could have done without the wankers on the next table braying about their speeding tickets. 

shoulders

A few good pubs this weekend, none 1st time visits but ones I don't often get to go to

The Elm Tree, Cambridge
The Cambridge Blue

The Troubadour, Earl's Court
Lowlander Grand Café, Covent Garden
Queens Head, Acton St, London
King Charles I, Kings Cross
Coal Hole, Strand

The Crumb

If anyone ever finds themselves in Boulogne Sur Mer's old town, I heartily recommend The Froggy Blues. Lovely little place full of the owner's character, nice selection of Belgian beers. Fantastic atmosphere where despite fitting at most a dozen people, there always seemed to be 3 or 4 entertaining, good-natured scenes going on at once.

shoulders

That looks fun and quirky , I'll add that to the map.

Just been reminded of the annoying 'Can I get you another one mate?' bar service around in Leeds. Yeah, just as I'm relaxing remind me of the inexorable profit motive.

I'm sure staff hate doing it too.

Crenners

That said, I loved that approach in Prague, really cut through the language barrier. Keep it coming, boss!

MAX 11° til I literally die 😂😂😂

shoulders

Yeah, it's a contrasting dynamic. In English pubs you feel like the master whereas in Czech ones you feel like their guest. The eternal 'jeste jedno' is always on its way. A lot of good reviews compliment the service for being like mind readers, both for knowing when someone is ready for another and when they're ready to quit. That's proper service rather than just inane pushyness decreed by their bosses.

shoulders

shoulders

Sair Inn, Linthwaite.

Wow. Former CAMRA Pub of the Year. Even on a quiet Monday at 4pm opening it was clear this place is great. 10+ cask lines including 2 strong English ales, rare to find. Especially impressive when it's up a big hill in a non-touristy Yorkshire village.

Small, cosy siderooms, one with an enormous fireplace, flagstone floor, communal bench seating. Musical instruments and piano. Snug with a jukebox, dog friendly. Great view over the valley.

All totally unfucked with. Cheap too, around £3.30 a pint.

The most pleasing throwback type pub possible. A possible entry in my Top 10 in England.

shoulders

At Three Pigeons in Halifax today. Not much more to say other than you can get a really good pork pie* and a pint here for a fiver, the Art Deco interior is unique and manages to stride that austere angular look while still being homely and pubby. Darts in the backroom and many snug corners. Near the football ground and the station while being uncompromisingly lacking the trappings pubs around those places tend to fall into.

*the sausage rolls are the second or third best I've ever had too

shoulders

Making progress with Yorkshire pubs.

Here are my fave ones that I'd say were more often than not 8/10 or more experiences.

I've categorised them by style, (some are obviously interchangeable) :

Olde world/preserved/quirky pubs:

1. Fagans, Sheffield
2. The Big 6, Halifax
3. Sair Inn, Linthwaite
4. The Blue Bell, York
5. Whitelock's, Leeds
6. Nellies, Beverley
7. Cardigan Arms, Leeds
8. Black Boy, Hull
9. Three Pigeons Ale House, Halifax
10. The Wellington, Sheffield
11. Fat Cat, Sheffield
12. Olde White Harte, Hull
13. Lion & Key, Hull
14. Fretwells, Hull
15. Blake Hotel, Sheffield
16. Rutland, Sheffield
17. Red Deer, Sheffield
18. The Swan, York
19. Sheaf View, Sheffield
20. The Whalebone, Hull
21. Grove Inn, Leeds
22. Gardener's Rest, Sheffield
23. Ye Olde Blue Bell, Hull
24. The Royal, Pudsey
25. Luis Bar, Wakefield
26. White Lion, Sheffield
27. Brothers Arms, Sheffield
28. Black Swan, York
29. Corn Dolly, Bradford
30. Fighting Cock, Bradford
31. Boltmakers Arms, Keighley
32. The Chemic, Leeds
33. The Ackhorne, York
34. The Wellington, York

Unspoilt Country/Village pubs:

1. Robin Hood Inn, Cragg Vale
2. George Inn, Hubberholme
3. The Crown, Middlesmoor
4. Swan Inn, Bramham
5. Nags Head, Stacey Bank
6. Fox & Hounds, West Witton
7. Crown Hotel, Lofthouse
8. Fox & Hounds, Starbotton
9. The Crown, Pateley Bridge
10. Grapes, Slingsby
11. White Lion Heptonstall
12. Game Cock, Austwick
13. The George, Castleton
14. Duke of Wellington, Danby
15. Mother Shipton Inn, Knaresborough
16. Cock Inn, Oughtibridge
17. Cross Keys, Siddal
18. Craven Heifer, Stainforth

Community/Indies/Micropubs/Bottleshops/Music Venues:

1. Fox & Goose, Hebden Bridge
2. Golden Ball, York
3. The Fox, Shipley
3. Stonegate House of Trembling Madness, York
4. Hop & Vine, Hull
5. Harry's, Wakefield
6. Phoenix Inn, York
7. Brudenell, Leeds
8. Arcadia, Headingley
9. Grayston Unity, Halifax
10. Puzzle Hall Inn, Sowerby Bridge
11. Wharf Chambers, Leeds
12. Duck & Drake, Leeds
13. Record Cafe, Bradford
14. Boathouse, Skipton
15. Bridge Tavern, Bradford
16. 80daysbierhaus, Hull
17. Drink!, Hebden Bridge
18. Boar & Fable, Bradford
19. Fanny's Alehouse, Saltaire
20. Stumble Inn, Scarborough
21. The Pub, Todmorden
22. Green Dragon, Whitby
23. Little Ale House, Harrogate
24. Draughtsman, Doncaster

Multitap Craft beer/Ale venues:

1. Victorian Craft Beer Café, Halifax
2. The Sportsman, Huddersfield
3. Shakespeare's, Sheffield
4. Lendal House of Trembling Madness, York
4. Kirkstall Brewery Taproom, Leeds
5. Sheffield Tap, Sheffield
6. The Exchange, Bradford
7. Maltings, York
8. Pivni, York
9. Grove, Huddersfield
10. Kings Head, Huddersfield
11. York Tap, York
12. West Riding Refreshment Rooms, Dewsbury
13. Rook & Gaskill, York
14. Brownhill & Co, Leeds

Still got a lot of conurbation towns like Elland, Brighouse, Rotherham, etc to check out and without a car visiting some of the ace looking North Pennines pubs is a weekend trip in itself.

Hopefully of some use to people in the area.

Happy and very keen to take recommendations!

Ted-Maul

I'm currently in Toner's in Dublin after having a couple in the Gravediggers. Will try and knock off the rest of your Dublin top 5 before my 24 hours here is over. Been in Belfast for a few days and might post about the pubs I found decent when I get home/sober up.

But yeah, ta shoulders!