Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Recent

Test

BlodwynPig
74301 Posts

Glebe
45381 Posts

Buelligan
41523 Posts

NoSleep
33122 Posts

Jemble Fred
30627 Posts

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2022, 01:43:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Norm MacDonald has died

Started by Ham Bap, September 14, 2021, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

love the book, his chat show appearances, his stand-up, his podcast (even though i can't stand most of the guests). funny cunt

Gregory Torso

Fucking HELL. Shit. I hate this fucking year. Horrible news.

One of the most effortlessly funny bastards ever and by far my favourite American comedian.

Chollis


QDRPHNC

Norm MacDonald Loses His Sponsors

I'm rarely moved by celebrity deaths, even people I like or admire, but really feel on the verge of tears for Norm. He was one of a kind. He proved how full of shit all those "you can't be funny any more" wankers really are, by being brilliantly funny, provocative, and deeply humane and empathetic.

madhair60


Twit 2

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE

One of my favourite people ever, and the most consistently funny comedian to ever live.

Apart from the obvious laughs, he has given me so much comfort and JOY. I remember when I discovered his comedy, I was genuinely awestruck at what he was so effortlessly pulling off.

Coincidentally, I was re-watching this clip:

https://youtu.be/JI-Mr6DgPOo?t=7m35 where he very graciously deals with a couple of deluded idiots by expounding on his views on the meaning of life, and in typical Norm style having his cake and eating it by providing genuine points whilst trolling the hosts at the same time. An apposite, though painful clip to watch right now.

Indomitable Spirit

he has looked like absolute shit for the last ten years - can't believe i didn't clock this earlier.

what a fucking hero. an absolute one of a kind. really cannot express how much and how hard this man has made me laugh over the last 20+ years

i was madly obsessed with American talk shows when I was a teenager and have dozens of VHS tapes of the old Conan repeats they'd show over the weekend on UK CNBC. A visit from Norm would literally be the highlight of my year. I must have rewatched those Conan/Norm interviews literally hundreds of times to the point I could probably still recite them verbatim.

books amazing. podcast is amazing. every talk show appearance is amazing. the best to ever do it.





mr. logic

So during the podcast (the single greatest comedic persona?), the writing of the book, that legendary covid set...he was fighting cancer? That is just incredible really, what a bloke.

lankyguy95

I'm welling up.

I barely believe in the concept of genius but if there was a comic genius left on this planet it was him. The funniest. I don't think I go a week without watching or listening to something of his. I hope this doesn't come across over-sentimental but I have mental health problems that have been pretty crippling to me in the last few years and he is one of the main sources of joy in my life. I've laughed more at him in the last five or six years than anything else.

The modern day equivalent to Peter Cook, though always a true original. The first season of his video podcast is the most naturally funny I've ever seen any comic be.

Fuck sake.

By the way, he didn't lose his battle...it was a draw

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 14, 2021, 08:06:17 PM
Apart from the obvious laughs, he has given me so much comfort and JOY.

I've put on his talk show appearances and various other compilations to cheer me up at depressed or anxious times. He wanted to be remembered for his comedy, but I'm not sure he realised just how appreciated he was.

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 14, 2021, 08:12:09 PM
I hope this doesn't come across over-sentimental but I have mental health problems that have been pretty crippling to me in the last few years and he is one of the main sources of joy in my life. I've laughed more at him in the last five or six years than anything else.

I feel you, sir. Hope you can pull out of this! When it comes to the bastard depression demon, as Norm would say, let's kill this honky bitch!

Wet Blanket

#40
Fucking Hell first Sean Lock and now this.

Based on a True Story is fit to stand alongside the work of Flann O Brien as far as comic novels go.

selectivememory

Just been on YouTube and the first clip I watch had me doubled over in laughter. Just so unbelievably charismatic and funny. And yeah, he did make it seem effortless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3LMSflEN54

lankyguy95

Quote from: mr. logic on September 14, 2021, 08:11:44 PM
So during the podcast (the single greatest comedic persona?), the writing of the book, that legendary covid set...he was fighting cancer? That is just incredible really, what a bloke.
It might explain his 'no fucks given' attitude. What a hero.

ProvanFan

All the stars will be there for his funeral. Beardyman, Claude Racine, Dax Flame...

neveragain

Utterly tragic. RIP.

I've only ever caught little bits from him here and there but always wanted to see more.

Twit 2

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 14, 2021, 08:12:09 PM
I'm welling up.

I barely believe in the concept of genius but if there was a comic genius left on this planet it was him. The funniest. I don't think I go a week without watching or listening to something of his. I hope this doesn't come across over-sentimental but I have mental health problems that have been pretty crippling to me in the last few years and he is one of the main sources of joy in my life. I've laughed more at him in the last five or six years than anything else.

The modern day equivalent to Peter Cook, though always a true original. The first season of his video podcast is the most naturally funny I've ever seen any comic be.

Fuck sake.

By the way, he didn't lose his battle...it was a draw

+1

He genuinely made life worth living: his comedy was absolutely joyous.

Outside of comedy nerds, this side of the Atlantic people won't know what they've just lost. There are gonna be some serious outpourings over the pond. The ultimate comedian's comedian.

trabuch

Oh just fuck off. What a shit year.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 14, 2021, 07:52:24 PM


Here's a clip of Norm on Letterman, one of the few times he showed real emotion:
https://youtu.be/mFjEvl43zYY

Oof. Thanks for posting that.


lankyguy95

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 14, 2021, 08:13:12 PM
I feel you, sir. Hope you can pull out of this! When it comes to the bastard depression demon, as Norm would say, let's kill this honky bitch!
Don't know if I'm laughing or crying now but you've got me listening to that clip again and I hope it's tipping me towards the former.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnMsO0A-O38

Fucking hell! I'm so immune to the joke threads on here that I had to check three news sites before I believed it. Ten years of battling cancer is a misery I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 14, 2021, 08:13:31 PM
Based on a True Story is fit to stand alongside the work of Flann O Brien as far as comic novels go.

Yes! In the unlikely case that anyone reading this thread hasn't already read this book, go buy it today. Brilliant from start to finish and the audiobook is narrated by the man himself.

The Ombudsman

Devastated by this. Feels like everyone is dying.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Add another OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!! ARRRGHH to the record.

No age, etc but a potential 20ish years more years all gone, never happening. That's it.

I was 50/50 about cancer but it's becoming irritating.

Mister Six

This reminds me of that tragedy.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on September 14, 2021, 08:24:15 PM
Ten years of battling cancer is a misery I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.


Can't get over that he had the illness for ten years. Right while he was doing all the Norm Mac Donald Live shows - When he was at his all time funniest.

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on September 14, 2021, 08:24:15 PM
Fucking hell! I'm so immune to the joke threads on here that I had to check three news sites before I believed it. Ten years of battling cancer is a misery I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Yes! In the unlikely case that anyone reading this thread hasn't already read this book, go buy it today. Brilliant from start to finish and the audiobook is narrated by the man himself.

The audiobook is one of the funniest things I've listened to in my life. Norm's voice just makes it, as you can imagine. The stuff about Rodney Dangerfield had me howling. "Imagine being told that ... by a prostitute!"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 14, 2021, 08:27:50 PM
Can't get over that he had the illness for ten years. Right while he was doing all the Norm Mac Donald Live shows - When he was at his all time funniest.

Ah ok, I'm starting to like cancer more now. More cancer in body = better jokes?

Povidone

Just....fucking hell, RIP ya old chunk of coal.

selectivememory

10 years? Fucking hell. I remember a while ago - as with Sean Lock - there was some speculation that he wasn't well, but Jesus that's rough. Poor guy. :(

jobotic

Gah. I only vaguely knew who he was before I started looking at this site and thanks to you have laughed myself silly.

RIP you funny fucker and commiserations to you Norm lovers