Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:44:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No9 series 7

Started by SilverFish, September 17, 2021, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: Kankurette on May 02, 2022, 01:28:11 AMYeah, I did wonder what the reaction from Welsh people would be and whether you'd find it offensive. Though if they'd set it in Hull they'd be called classist or something. Somewhere rural in Cheshire or Yorkshire, maybe?
Well Shearsmith is from Hull. Pemberton is from Blackburn, so also could set it round there. If you're from there at least you're not appropriating an identity for the sole purpose of poking fun.

And i dont think the school can be seen as a positive against a sanctimonious lecturing city boy on medication. They are a gaslighting murderous cult!

kitsofan34

Pemberton's Welsh at the beginning was terrible.

daf

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 01, 2022, 08:31:27 PMNicolas Cage one

I actually enjoyed that one - I think they had a Queen bee motif running through it.

I think Cage
Spoiler alert
ends up with his head stuck into a big rugby ball shaped bee hive . . . Or possibly covered in honey (in the nude) and stung to death
[close]
- something like that anyway (it's been a while since I saw it!)

Glebe

somersetchris

Quote from: mjwilson on May 01, 2022, 08:21:27 PMAll this Wicker Man talk has me in the mood for a rewatch.  I see I have theatrical edition, director's cut and final cut to choose between,  anyone have strong opinions on the best version?

Whichever one is the longest (director's cut, I think). The original film was 99 minutes and was cut to pieces by the studio prior to release. As far as anyone is aware, no remaining copy of this film exists, so every subsequent cut has been an attempt to restore as much as possible from other sources. Every now and again a slightly different version crops up and another restoration process begins.

I think the Director's Cut is about 95 minutes, and is the closest to the original version. However the Final Cut, which is shorter, was cut by Hardy himself (so is also a director's cut!), for an earlier re-release. Personally I would want to watch whichever is the longer, although one day I need to watch the two later versions and see what the differences are.

somersetchris

Today I learned that The Wicker Man was initially released as a b-movie supporting Don't Look Now. What a bonkers night out that must have been.

Zetetic

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 01, 2022, 01:11:19 PMKinda forgot about it by the conclusion, but first thing I thought was setting a bunch of cultish weirdos in rural Wales was a bit mean of them, a typical "backwards sheepshaggers" from the English on Welsh culture.

Why not set it in Hull? Turn tropes on its head a bit and not come off as xenophobic?

Also one reference to Welsh language but then everything was in English. Have they been to Wales?
The reference to Ofsted suggests that this is actually a Welsh-speaking community in England.

Zetetic

And John Barleycorn isn't a very Welsh reference, is it?

zomgmouse

Quote from: pk1yen on May 03, 2022, 01:43:51 AMhttps://deadline.com/2022/05/amazon-freevee-bosch-legacy-renewed-season-2-inside-no-9-1235014394/amp/

So, looks like Inside No 9 is getting ... a US remake ... ?

how odd. are they going to remake existing episodes? write new ones all set in a 9? also: why?

I love everything they have ever done but personally I thought that were rubbish.

Noodle Lizard

Mm, it's been diminishing returns for me for a while now, but I also can't fathom how difficult it must be to come up with so many different self-contained plots and characters (and then write the scripts and play them too!) Still, it's the longest-running thing they've done by some margin, and luckily lesser episodes/seasons can't negatively impact the better ones.

I do wonder if it might have been best to do them more sporadically - maybe one or two a year as "specials" rather than full seasons - but then of course we'd be complaining about that too!

olliebean

I feel dirty for using marketing speak, but does the Inside No 9 "brand" have any "cut through" in the US? If not, I presume they're just doing remakes of UK episodes, because otherwise, why not just do their own thing? They're either paying for the name or the scripts, presumably.

Kankurette

Quote from: Zetetic on May 02, 2022, 09:08:19 PMThe reference to Ofsted suggests that this is actually a Welsh-speaking community in England.

Herefordshire?

Virgo76

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 03, 2022, 04:44:16 AMhow odd. are they going to remake existing episodes? write new ones all set in a 9? also: why?

Why not?
I wonder how far Steve and Reece will be/are involved?

bgmnts

First episode was pure dogshit.

And yeah Pemberton's Welsh was crap obviously but not an issue. The backwards rural Wales thing is whatever but eh a bit rubbish.

Unsure where a Welsh speaking English school would be, perhaps Oswestry or something.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: olliebean on May 03, 2022, 09:04:02 AMI feel dirty for using marketing speak, but does the Inside No 9 "brand" have any "cut through" in the US? If not, I presume they're just doing remakes of UK episodes, because otherwise, why not just do their own thing? They're either paying for the name or the scripts, presumably.

Quite a few of my friends in the US watch it, it got a couple of write-ups on some big American online publications like the NY Times and NY Post, Salon etc and positive word of mouth. Definitely a relatively small cult following but enough for a bit of a fanbase.

I wouldn't mind a series done of it in America with Pemberton and Shearsmith starring just for the new locations/ideas it could open up. Remaking the same stories with different actors seems a bit pointless but they've been doing that shit for years with British shows. Has maybe worked well once (The Office).

Brundle-Fly

I look forward to seeing the U.S. version of the 'Sardines' episode called 'Canned Albercore' set in an old plantation mansion in Kentucky with John Lithgow in the Timothy West role.

Noodle Lizard

Of course the Duplass brothers had a similarish show on HBO already, Room 104 (although each episode was set in the same location), itself similar to a little-known David Lynch show from the 90s called Hotel Room.

So the concept alone isn't exactly a revelation over here, and Inside No 9 itself has been on HBO Max and has amassed a certain amount of attention. I think the thing that most impresses newcomers is how talented Shearsmith/Pemberton are as actors and how uniquely funny their dialogue and characters are rather than the ideas themselves, so a US version seems utterly pointless.

I'm glad they'll probably make some Hollywood money off it, more than deserved, but even if I never watch more than one of them it'll always be a bit of a shame to know it exists - worse still if it means Americans will be more likely to ignore the original (see also: Ghosts).

kalowski

I really liked Merrily Merrily. Thought Mr King was alright even if no school in the universe could really exist like that. Where were the other teachers.
And that's not how superglue works. But even with that, it was suitably creepy.

Glebe

Quote from: kalowski on May 03, 2022, 09:24:15 PMWhere were the other teachers.

Fertilising the field I'd imagine.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 01, 2022, 01:11:19 PMKinda forgot about it by the conclusion, but first thing I thought was setting a bunch of cultish weirdos in rural Wales was a bit mean of them, a typical "backwards sheepshaggers" from the English on Welsh culture.

In that case, surely you could make the same criticism of The Wicker Man with respect to Scottish island folk.

Zetetic

Doesn't the The Wicker Man make some effort to engage with both actual Scottish folklore and stereotypes of Scottish folklore (which might be inaccurate but at least represent some interest in it)?

My partner reminded me of Gwledd/The Feast (2021), which neither of us think is a great film (although I liked it a lot right up until it insisted on explaining the bleeding obvious) but plays in a vaguely similar area to this episode in much more interesting ways.

Spoiler alert
Noting that it's more fantastical, and - very deliberately - not folk-sy in the way that this episode or The Wicker Man are.
[close]

danwho9

Not to mention the antiquated classroom design and dress code etc. I initially assumed it must be set in the 70s/80s until the Greta references etc.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Zetetic on May 03, 2022, 10:36:54 PMDoesn't the The Wicker Man make some effort to engage with both actual Scottish folklore and stereotypes of Scottish folklore (which might be inaccurate but at least represent some interest in it)?

I don't think so. It's a pretty bloody stupid film in which the most notable murder is Ewar Woowar's Scottish accent.

Kankurette

Quote from: kalowski on May 03, 2022, 09:24:15 PMI really liked Merrily Merrily. Thought Mr King was alright even if no school in the universe could really exist like that. Where were the other teachers.
And that's not how superglue works. But even with that, it was suitably creepy.
They did also have an episode with a vampire policeman, a man who couldn't die, and a liftman who was actually Satan, they're not exactly going for realism here.

Virgo76

Quote from: bgmnts on May 03, 2022, 12:41:46 PMFirst episode was pure dogshit.

And yeah Pemberton's Welsh was crap obviously but not an issue. The backwards rural Wales thing is whatever but eh a bit rubbish.

Unsure where a Welsh speaking English school would be, perhaps Oswestry or something.

It really wasn't dogshit.
Neither of the episodes  so far have been flawless but neither deserve to be dismissed as rubbish either. They really were not.
Annette Badland was great in episode 2 also. Nobody's mentioned that yet have you, you bunch of sexist pigs?

danwho9

No wonder so few Badlands post here.

Zetetic

Quote from: Zetetic on May 03, 2022, 10:36:54 PMMy partner reminded me of Gwledd/The Feast (2021), which neither of us think is a great film (although I liked it a lot right up until it insisted on explaining the bleeding obvious) but plays in a vaguely similar area to this episode in much more interesting ways.

Also had R.S. Thomas's Welsh Summer (1975) rattling around in my head, in particular the closing lines:

It is the machine wins;
the land suffers the formication
of its presence. Places that would have preferred peace
have had their bowels opened; our
children paddle thoughtlessly there in the mess.

MigraineBoy

If anyone is interested Google Play have fucked up & uploaded Wise Owl.