Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No9 series 7

Started by SilverFish, September 17, 2021, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHX

Quote from: Vroomo on May 04, 2022, 03:04:31 PMIf anyone is interested Google Play have fucked up & uploaded Wise Owl. 

Already gone. :(

MigraineBoy

Synopsis for ep4:

QuoteIn Kid/Nap, Shane and Clifford have a plan to abduct the wife of a wealthy hedge fund manager. If he won't pay them the money, they'll snip her ears off to prove they mean business.
Everything in the plan depends on everyone playing their part right to the end. It's totally foolproof. Isn't it?

Daniel Mays and Jason Isaacs guest star as the two desperate villains, with Daisy Haggard joining them as their intended victim. The Director is Al Cambell and the film is produced by Kim Crowther. The Executive Producer is Adam Tandy.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Zetetic on May 02, 2022, 09:08:19 PMThe reference to Ofsted suggests that this is actually a Welsh-speaking community in England.

The postcard they received was addressed to somewhere in the Cardiff postal district, with a town that started "Ponty-", so it would be south Wales, in the Rhondda or Vale of Glamorgan, where English is commonly spoken and, from personal experience, the locals are very nice.

Thursday

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6837/inside-no-9-to-be-remade-in-america/

"I bet you're loving this on the A Special Thing forum."

Is that still a thing? This would have worked better if it was still a thing.

KennyMonster

Last nights episode was very experimental and brave to do but wasn't for me I'm afraid to say.

Bigfella

You can't get it unless you have a working knowledge of the avant garde 'invisible theatre' movement.  All about questioning philosophical theories of existence.

JamesTC

I can't believe that Reece actually confirmed his CaB username on last night's episode. If anybody is curious, this is his profile.

RHX

Quote from: JamesTC on May 05, 2022, 10:38:56 AMI can't believe that Reece actually confirmed his CaB username on last night's episode. If anybody is curious, this is his profile.

Shit, rumbled.

Angst in my Pants

Did anyone catch what the Headmaster said in Welsh at the beginning? I heard the word 'Saesneg' which is 'English' and wondered if it might be something like 'Only English from here on in'?

I ask because I'm wondering if it's an oblique reference to the Doctor Who story The Curse of Fenric, where Captain Sorin instructs his men to speak 'only English from here on in' - even though they're wearing Soviet uniforms and have no real need to do so other than for the sake of the audience.

kitsofan34

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on May 05, 2022, 11:01:09 AMDid anyone catch what the Headmaster said in Welsh at the beginning? I heard the word 'Saesneg' which is 'English' and wondered if it might be something like 'Only English from here on in'?

I ask because I'm wondering if it's an oblique reference to the Doctor Who story The Curse of Fenric, where Captain Sorin instructs his men to speak 'only English from here on in' - even though they're wearing Soviet uniforms and have no real need to do so other than for the sake of the audience.

The kids in unison exclaim "Good morning Mr Edwards!" (Bore Da Mr Edwards) which is followed by Mr Edwards saying "Your new teacher, Mr Curtis, he is going to teach in English" (Mae athro newydd, Mr Curtis, mae o am ddysgu mewn Saesneg) to the collective groan of the children.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but despite being a fluent Welsh speaker I had to listen a couple of times, since Pemberton's Welsh was so bad.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: kitsofan34 on May 05, 2022, 12:23:04 PMThe kids in unison exclaim "Good morning Mr Edwards!" (Bore Da Mr Edwards) which is followed by Mr Edwards saying "Your new teacher, Mr Curtis, he is going to teach in English" (Mae athro newydd, Mr Curtis, mae o am ddysgu mewn Saesneg) to the collective groan of the children.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but despite being a fluent Welsh speaker I had to listen a couple of times, since Pemberton's Welsh was so bad.
Ah brilliant, thanks so much for that - nothing to do with my assumption, then!

RHX

If they remake Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room with Bob Odenkirk and David Cross, that would make the US version entirely worth it from day one.

Virgo76

Who would be the American equivalent of Bernie Clifton?

RHX

Can't think of an exact equivalent, but someone I can see them using someone like Rodney Dangerfield, maybe.

Thosworth

My main criticism of Mr King is that at no point were the children scary, especially after the reveal. There's a huge precedent for creepy kids in horror - Village of the Damned, Hereditary, Shining, Omen, Deliverance etc. etc.

The dance at the end just came across as a basic primary school production. Maybe it was deliberate, but it just wasn't scary.

KennyMonster

The blurb on tonight's episode in The Guardian has possibly given away the twist.

Serves me right for reading that jumped up rag I suppose.

Virgo76

Quote from: RHX on May 06, 2022, 11:11:11 AMCan't think of an exact equivalent, but someone I can see them using someone like Rodney Dangerfield, maybe.

He did cross my mind too.

Kankurette

Did they swap Nine Lives Kat with the PSA? Apparently it's going to be Nine Lives Kat tonight?

Mavis Grind

Quote from: JamesTC on May 05, 2022, 10:38:56 AMI can't believe that Reece actually confirmed his CaB username on last night's episode. If anybody is curious, this is his profile.

What am I missing here? 

jobotic

Hate to say it but that just got on my nerves.

Kankurette

I kind of figured that
Spoiler alert
Kat wasn't real
[close]
, but didn't figure that
Spoiler alert
the writer wasn't real either
[close]
Meta.

MigraineBoy

They've had a great innings.  To get to 7 series before dropping a properly duff one.  If that was a Netflix show & they weren't constrained by a BBC 29mins, perhaps it'd have run longer, seeded a bit more stuff & had a more satisfactory ending.
Shame, as Sophie Okonedo is great.

Blumf

Kinda Black Mirror, but with books instead of smartphones.

Bigfella

As Pemberton has aged he's started to look like Timothy Spall.  He can decide himself whether that's an insult or a compliment.

Kankurette

It wasn't as bad as the award ceremony one, that one was a turd. And the Commedia dell'Arte one sucked as well, but then I'm not a drama student and you probably have to be one to appreciate it.

Stigdu

I think that was the best one of this series so far. Great twist which I didn't see coming. And for what it's worth unlike the person above, I loved the Awards ceremony one, and the Commedia dell'Arte, too.

ishantbekeepingit

I thought it was a bit naff.  Just the same thing happening on top of itself, didn't really enjoy it.

Kankurette

I like Stephen King, so that was probably part of the reason why I enjoyed tonight's episode.

Tony Tony Tony

According to the after show podcast the twist in this one comes half way through. So
Spoiler alert
the twist is that the characters Pemberton is writing have become self aware and become alive
[close]
so one of them
Spoiler alert
takes revenge on the author by bottom drawing him
[close]

Pemberton and Shearsmith say this one was inspired by imagining that a LoG character comes alive for real.

Given this a swift rewatch should pay dividends.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I know it was basically just half an hour of Pemberton and Shearsmith moaning about...

Spoiler alert
... hoary old crime fiction cliches, but I enjoyed their annoyance. The fact that they've both starred in shit, generic ITV crime dramas could be regarded as massively hypocritical, but I think they're self-aware enough to realise that.
[close]