Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:03:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No9 series 7

Started by SilverFish, September 17, 2021, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"They're on the other side" seems ambiguous to me. From the middle of the river, it could refer to either bank. Plus, that phrase normally means death.

Captain Z

It doesn't seem ambiguous at all to me, admittedly I haven't listened to the podcast yet. Reece is dead at that moment, so "on the other side" suggests to me that they are still on the mortal plain.

I've not heard the podcast either, so I could be talking guff, but: if the two banks of the river/lake represent life and death, then the boat is the transition between them. Had the ferryman referred to the other side while they were standing in the land of the dead, it would be clear cut, but he said it while they were on the way. At the risk of sounding all Kubrick about it, that doesn't seem like an accident, especially as the last we see of the other three is them all standing up and brawling on the rickety pedalo.

Also, it seems grammatically weird to me to refer to the bank they've come from as the other side.

Maybe I'm a glass half empty type, but the shot of the empty pedalo was very eerie.

Red Macadam

Quote from: Mavis Grind on April 21, 2022, 05:43:55 PMIt also explained why he misread the invitation and brought Donna along.

Might it also explain why he confuses 'paedo' with 'pedalo'?

Glebe

That was pretty funny and touching. Nice to finally have Mark appear - and Cunk!

Presumably
Spoiler alert
the other three drowned when the scuffle broke out?
[close]

Neomod

Mark G definitely channelling a bit of Patrick Malahide in that performance.

JamesTC

Quote from: Glebe on April 22, 2022, 05:23:22 PMand Cunk!

Only just realised they had Barry Shitpeas direct the one with Philomena Cunk in.

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 22, 2022, 03:18:22 PM"They're on the other side" seems ambiguous to me. From the middle of the river, it could refer to either bank. Plus, that phrase normally means death.

I agree, it's clearly deliberately ambiguous, setting that line up only 30 seconds earlier with the boat scuffle. To look at it another way it would be odd to set up a smash cut "are they dead or alive" moment to undercut it with a definitive "No" only moments later and Inside No 9 isn't that shoddy (or shoddy at all).
   That said, my interpretation is that they are alive but I still think it's odd not to see that's it's clearly a 'it's up to the viewer to decide' thread left for us.

Additionally, thanks to those who pointed out the dyslexia moments dropped in throughout by Pemberton. It's very well done; so that a fool like me might miss the reveals significance. Without, hopefully, over analysing it plays nicely on our (my) prejudice towards thinking his character is just a bit of a useless twat before making you (me) realise how unfair those quick judgements were.   Obviously there's the slightly unfair aspect that as a viewer we are used to expecting short hand 'types' to be characters in a half hour tv piece and therefore make quicker judgements than (hopefully) we would in real life. Nonetheless it was well done and nicely underplayed.
  To echo other's comments, Reece and Steve should feel pretty chuffed with themselves re their high quality and consistency.
I'll go back to lurking now.

Quote from: Bigfella on April 21, 2022, 04:42:50 AMImpressive Scottish accent by Mark Gattis, a lot of English actors can't quite get there!  Sharp writing, lovely turns of emotion.  One thing - can we please assume spoilers are moot after it's been broadcast on BBC2? 

He sounded (and acted?) a lot like Bill Paterson.

Anyway, enjoyed. Nicely put together. Not really a twist, but as said that little moment at the end was lovely.

Neomod

Quote from: A Hat Like That on April 23, 2022, 11:19:44 AMHe sounded (and acted?) a lot like Bill Paterson.

Funny you should say this because it's Malahide's performance in Comfort and Joy opposite Paterson playing his best pal, who coincidentally is a Dr, that prompted my comment.

Virgo76

Is Inside No 9 destined to end after nine series? Mark Gatiss seemed to say so on the podcast. Or did I misunderstand him?

mjwilson

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 23, 2022, 12:49:42 PMIs Inside No 9 destined to end after nine series? Mark Gatiss seemed to say so on the podcast. Or did I misunderstand him?

Yes there was that implication, but I think it was just a joke.

Icehaven

I thought it was very much that the other three were still alive, hence why they were on the "other side". Anyway really enjoyed this one, great start to the new series.
Spaced has just popped up on Netflix so I've been having a rewatch and I'd never realised before that Gatiss was in an episode in series 2, alongside the actor Kevin Eldon. Thought I was paying more attention than that but obviously not.

Virgo76

Quote from: Icehaven on April 23, 2022, 01:53:29 PMI thought it was very much that the other three were still alive, hence why they were on the "other side". Anyway really enjoyed this one, great start to the new series.
Spaced has just popped up on Netflix so I've been having a rewatch and I'd never realised before that Gatiss was in an episode in series 2, alongside the actor Kevin Eldon. Thought I was paying more attention than that but obviously not.

Yes. Reece Shearsmith was in Spaced too, of course.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Captain Z on April 22, 2022, 03:23:56 PMIt doesn't seem ambiguous at all to me, admittedly I haven't listened to the podcast yet. Reece is dead at that moment, so "on the other side" suggests to me that they are still on the mortal plain.

Count me as one of the people who thought they were dead. The cutaway from the pushing and shoving and the 'Don't worry about them', 'Where are they?' 'On the other side' exchange made me think they had capsized the paedo (Oh, I've just realised it's dyslexia thing again. Duh!). Reading this thread, though, I think I've changed my mind.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. I can't say I'm a fan of Diane Morgan but she was absolutely top tier in this.

Virgo76

I initially thought they were dead too. Pemberton and Shearsmith said this definitely wasn't their intention although, of course, people are free to interpret it however they want.

Eldon. Gatiss. Shearsmith. Now Hynes. Think that's it as far as Spaced/Inside No9 crossover actors go?
Jessica Hynes is on TV a lot lately.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 23, 2022, 03:53:03 PMI initially thought they were dead too. Pemberton and Shearsmith said this definitely wasn't their intention although, of course, people are free to interpret it however they want.

Interesting. I'll have a listen to that now.

QuoteEldon. Gatiss. Shearsmith. Now Hynes. Think that's it as far as Spaced/Inside No9 crossover actors go?

Hooray!

Icehaven

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 23, 2022, 03:21:20 PMYes. Reece Shearsmith was in Spaced too, of course.

Yep, and in the next but one episode!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 23, 2022, 03:53:03 PMI initially thought they were dead too. Pemberton and Shearsmith said this definitely wasn't their intention although, of course, people are free to interpret it however they want.

I had a listen to the new IIN9 and it's a good one. As you say, they categorically state that their intention was that the other three characters survive and that the 'other side' is this one.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 23, 2022, 06:28:17 PMI had a listen to the new IIN9 and it's a good one. As you say, they categorically state that their intention was that the other three characters survive and that the 'other side' is this one.

I think I heard Steve say he hoped the podcasts be referred to as I2No.9 so reckon the least we could do is oblige.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on April 22, 2022, 02:23:08 PMI first became aware of this phrase being used comedically with Harry Enfield's Scousers, who went for a day trip to "that London" and kept calling it that throughout.

Did a bit of light Googling myself and came up with the very same conclusion Them Scousers so it looks like Stewart Lee borrowed it then. Though he does use it in a far more vituperative way than Enfield. And he lives there!

Captain Z

I have now listened to the podcast -  I'm so good at television.

Icehaven

I've never listened to the podcast before but thoroughly enjoyed hearing the three of them together, it was really lovely. Shame it seemingly didn't occur to them before to have Dyson as the boatman too, that would have been brilliant.

Noodle Lizard

It was fine. I think the ending belonged to a different thing entirely and sort of ruined the rest of it. Great to see Gatiss back, nevertheless. The chemistry those three have is very rare.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 23, 2022, 03:53:03 PMEldon. Gatiss. Shearsmith. Now Hynes. Think that's it as far as Spaced/Inside No9 crossover actors go?

I'm surprised they haven't had Mark Heap yet. It'd be good to get the Jam cast in there too. Julia Davis and Amelia Bullmore would fit in quite nicely, I think. They already had David Cann in Psychoville, but get him back an' all.

Icehaven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 23, 2022, 10:57:33 PMI'm surprised they haven't had Mark Heap yet.

Bloody hell have they not? Yes, needs to be done.

Snrub

Quote from: Icehaven on April 23, 2022, 08:24:48 PMI've never listened to the podcast before but thoroughly enjoyed hearing the three of them together, it was really lovely. Shame it seemingly didn't occur to them before to have Dyson as the boatman too, that would have been brilliant.

Found it interesting that they hadn't considered that, only as the second I saw that shady figure I wondered if it might be him.

I love that podcast, and I'd gladly listened to an hour of just the three of them on top of what we got. I did like Mark's comment that originally he was holding off for the last ever one. I do hope he does return for that.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The podcasts they did for - I think? - series two were great. There were no guests, the whole thing revolved around a constructed narrative between Reece and Steve in their office. Reece plays up to his thin-skinned, grumpy reputation, while the more avuncular Steve tries to keep things on track.

The saga plays out like an extended meta episode of Inside No. 9.

That sounds terribly self-indulgent, I know, but it was brilliantly done.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 23, 2022, 10:57:33 PMI'm surprised they haven't had Mark Heap yet. It'd be good to get the Jam cast in there too. Julia Davis and Amelia Bullmore would fit in quite nicely, I think. They already had David Cann in Psychoville, but get him back an' all.

Julia Davis was an Aussie, lesbian, stage manager in The Understudy back in Series One.