Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Classic bit of racism there as he tells us how West Indian people are "happy cheerful souls...noted for their loud and lively laughter."

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: kalowski on May 01, 2022, 04:36:40 PMClassic bit of racism there as he tells us how West Indian people are "happy cheerful souls...noted for their loud and lively laughter."

He also mentioned how loudly they scream.  Didn't Ben Elton do a running joke about that in his sitcom about Health and Safety officers?

Aaron500

He certainly describes the scene in the service station cafe very well, considering he wasn't there and was waiting in the car.

Quote from: Aaron500 on May 01, 2022, 10:31:05 PMHe certainly describes the scene in the service station cafe very well, considering he wasn't there and was waiting in the car.

He says he was watching through the window.

Replies From View

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 02, 2022, 08:49:04 AMHe says he was watching through the window.

Wanking while Rome burned.

Apparently Savile met and got on well with Elvis Presley's manager, 'The Colonel', Tom Parker, who seems to have been a bit of a kindred spirit.

kalowski

Jesus, look at that line "I felt it criminal that the age of consent in the admirable state is eighteen. It really is unfair because everyone knows that everything matures quicker in the sunshine."
In. Plain. Sight.

bigfatheart

To be fair it seems quite out of character for him to care what the age of consent is.

McDead

Compelling stuff though, for all its smarm and sleaze. "Fetch the boy" is quite a moment.

Video Game Fan 2000

The Colonel's hotdog scam doesn't make any sense since each sausage only has two ends and no one would buy a hotdog if the ends looked cut off. He wouldn't be making more franks last longer, he'd just be throwing away the middles.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 02, 2022, 01:05:30 PMThe Colonel's hotdog scam doesn't make any sense since each sausage only has two ends and no one would buy a hotdog if the ends looked cut off. He wouldn't be making more franks last longer, he'd just be throwing away the middles.

I guess all but the ends would be hidden by the long buns, while just a couple of lengths thrown on the ground would have sufficed.   Didn't T. P. Barnum say no-one ever lost money by underestimating the public's intelligence?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ferris on April 29, 2022, 12:47:13 AMI've started doing width=420 because it's the weed number lmao and it amuses me to use that for seemingly normal things.
you are Elon Musk and I claim my one DogeCoin

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 02, 2022, 10:34:04 AM

I'm very sceptical the tough, cynical, even brutal Savile was stage-struck in the way he describes on this page when meeting Elvis.   Getting close to Presley would just be a step up the ladder for him.  He think he describes the meeting in such magical terms because he knows most readers would feel that way.  He thus wants the reader to empathize with what he claims to have felt and enjoy imagining something as enchanting happening to them.

bigfatheart

Incidentally, for those who've never seen the picture of Savile with Elvis, here it is:

katzenjammer

Watched the Ayrton Senna documentary earlier which included this clip of Alain Prost being a bit sleazy in an interview with Selina Scott. Just made me think that this kind of behaviour really was quite normalised back in the 80s. If years later Prost had been convicted of some sexual crime we might be looking back at clips like this and wondering how nobody knew.

https://youtu.be/SCHeACT4oZg

Quote from: bigfatheart on May 02, 2022, 06:31:09 PMIncidentally, for those who've never seen the picture of Savile with Elvis, here it is:

Elvis died in 1977, so Savile introduced them before Sutcliffe was caught.  Imagine the chat.

SAVILE: As it 'appens, my mate Pete, see, 'e's quite the ladykiller.
SUTCLIFFE: Literally!  I meet 'em and I'm like "you look so full of life right now" then a second later "you were full of life just then."
PRESLEY (putting on mocking Yorkshire accent): Now then, now then!
SAVILE: As Plod will be saying to Pete here one day, 'cause 'e ain't got my connections to get 'im off!
PRESLEY: So you'll be (sings) rockin' to the Jailhouse Rock and stayin' at (sings again) Heart-break Ho-tel!
SAVILE: One of Her Majesty's hotels more like -two, actually: the one for wrong'uns and the one for nutters.
PRESLEY: I think I prefer His Majesty's hotel, that is mine, the King's, mansion, Graceland.
SUTCLIFFE: Don't get too cocky.  You need bringin' down to earth with a bit of plain-speaking Yorkshireman's common-sense.  You could end up in the state penitentiary yourself, shagging your missus from age fourteen!
PRESLEY: Pardon me, sir.  I may like 'em young - but at least I don't like 'em dead!  Can you even imagine the like, Jimmy?
SAVILE: Hmmmmm.... (smiles enigmatically)

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: katzenjammer on May 02, 2022, 06:39:21 PMWatched the Ayrton Senna documentary earlier which included this clip of Alain Prost being a bit sleazy in an interview with Selina Scott. Just made me think that this kind of behaviour really was quite normalised back in the 80s. If years later Prost had been convicted of some sexual crime we might be looking back at clips like this and wondering how nobody knew.

Isn't he just behaving like a completely standard Frenchman?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: katzenjammer on May 02, 2022, 06:39:21 PMWatched the Ayrton Senna documentary earlier which included this clip of Alain Prost being a bit sleazy in an interview with Selina Scott. Just made me think that this kind of behaviour really was quite normalised back in the 80s. If years later Prost had been convicted of some sexual crime we might be looking back at clips like this and wondering how nobody knew.

I'd forgotten just what a Diana clone Scott was, right down to the coy looking down and up thing.

Savile's account of how he got moved into a top hotel suite from a cheaper one is characteristic in the way it vaunts his manipulativeness. He says he just happened to be on a holiday in New York as a prize from Mecca dance hall company for his work at the same time he was being considered for recruitment to Radio Luxembourg. I think that was a lie to make it all seem less cynical and that he'd gone there by his own initiative, aiming to stay at a top hotel and then somehow let the station's management know he was there to try and impress them.

famethrowa

It's kinda like this Savile character is a lying, self-obsessed piece of shit!

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 02, 2022, 05:01:26 PMI'm very sceptical the tough, cynical, even brutal Savile was stage-struck in the way he describes on this page when meeting Elvis.  Getting close to Presley would just be a step up the ladder for him.  He think he describes the meeting in such magical terms because he knows most readers would feel that way.  He thus wants the reader to empathize with what he claims to have felt and enjoy imagining something as enchanting happening to them.

Can you imagine how mutually unintelligible that conversation was:

Jingle jangle jewelry jewelry

Uh thanyouvermuch uh

Now then how's about as it happens

uh merrychrimuseverone uh

now then jangle happen then

thanchrimus uh uh

UHOOHAAAUHUHUOOUUUHHHHHUHUH

uh chrim uh

kalowski

"Hotels are better in the UK because at least you have a TV."
"Give this man a suite!!"

shoulders

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 03, 2022, 05:57:18 AMCan you imagine how mutually unintelligible that conversation was:

Jingle jangle jewelry jewelry

Uh thanyouvermuch uh

Now then how's about as it happens

uh merrychrimuseverone uh

now then jangle happen then

thanchrimus uh uh

UHOOHAAAUHUHUOOUUUHHHHHUHUH

uh chrim uh

Frank Bruno is sounding well.

Haha, that might be his most self-aggrandising yarn yet. Its common practice to give people an upgrade for free if there's something wrong with their room. I've had upgrades before because of problems in rooms and it had nothing to do with national pride or implied threats or going "urgh-e-urgh-e-urgh" at people and everything to do with it being a cheap way to compensate someone and solve the problem instantly.

In these extracts, when he talks about writing, he mentions the 'thrill of the empty page' as a chance to evoke different emotional responses from the reader. It seems just another expression of his propensity for manipulation.

This previous passage shows his reasons for writing his life story - to pre-empt someone else making money from becoming his biographer.