Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:17:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 27, 2022, 09:02:35 PMIn these accounts from Savile's autobiography, he talks of being rejected from all three branches of the military during World War Two.  his story makes me go 'hmmmm' and scratch my chin.

His accounts of his eyes not being up to standard for recruitment to the RAF made me sceptical, as Savile has never worn glasses. His account of being supposedly too physically frail to enter the army does too, as I was not aware there was a minimum level of physical strength required for war-time draftees, beyond that which would confer extreme incapacity.  Was Savile faking that? He says he was rejected from the navy as he could not swim. Was that part of the selection for conscripts to the marine forces?
I think that's all bollocks. He was a conscript who ended up as a Bevin Boy down the mines. They either volunteered for mining instead of military service, or were selected by lottery via the last digit of their National Service number. They were then subject to similar medical tests to military conscripts. A 'weakling' wouldn't have ended up down the mines.

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 29, 2022, 09:40:01 AMI was interested in this too, so I looked it up. Apparently Queens Regulations were changed in 1879 to say sailors had to be able to swim.
The QRs were waived during times of war. There was no requirement to be able to swim to be conscripted into the Navy - they didn't even ask.

Quote from: buzby on May 04, 2022, 11:16:23 AMI think that's all bollocks. He was a conscript who ended up as a Bevin Boy down the mines. They either volunteered for mining instead of military service, or were selected by lottery via the last digit of their National Service number. They were then subject to similar medical tests to military conscripts. A 'weakling' wouldn't have ended up down the mines.
The QRs were waived during times of war. There was no requirement to be able to swim to be conscripted into the Navy - they didn't even ask.

In other words, Savile's account is total bullshit that of someone who wished to appear to have shown willing for military service.

There's a live podcast by Shaun Attwood about him on YouTube for about the next three-and-a-half hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL6nD_7aQlc

This tale is quite a comical one about how Savile used sharp practice to make the most money for the least amount of work.

steve98

That /\ is quite funny; the idea of the fun-seekers being abandoned somewhere in the Dales, while Saville high-tails it back to Leeds with the takings (Ow's about that, guys n gals)

In these anecdotes, Savile shows himself as a streetwise person used to and unfazed by violence, but cleverly does so without portraying himself as aggressive, while buttressing his image of someone who can draw on powerful allies wherever he goes.

It's interesting that Savile mentions that, though his family were poor, they had wealthier relatives. That could have given him an envy that drove him.

He mentions wealthier family in this comment also.

Blumf

Has anyone ever said they were assaulted (physical as opposed to sexual) by Jimmy? Any verifiable examples of big man Savile actually making true on his threats?

Quote from: Blumf on May 06, 2022, 08:34:11 PMHas anyone ever said they were assaulted (physical as opposed to sexual) by Jimmy? Any verifiable examples of big man Savile actually making true on his threats?

In Plain Sight by Dan Davies includes these incidents

Blumf

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 06, 2022, 09:22:33 PMIn Plain Sight by Dan Davies includes these incidents

Yep, those last two cover it.

You'd hope that he'd be a plain coward bully, but it look like he was the real deal.

This is an interesting passage. Could this be Savile feeling guilty, or at least afraid of some sort of divine retribution after death?

This bit is interesting too.  'From the heart' usually denotes sincerity of emotion.  It's used in the cliched phrase 'I mean it from the bottom of my heart,' which is very along the lines of 'I mean that most sincerely.'  Yet Savile here seems to use it to mean writing ex tempore, using facts recalled from memory rather than external prompt, giving it a cold, clinical feel.  Such confusion of usual semantic meanings is said to be characteristic of psychopaths.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Blumf on May 06, 2022, 08:34:11 PMHas anyone ever said they were assaulted (physical as opposed to sexual) by Jimmy? Any verifiable examples of big man Savile actually making true on his threats?
Mark Lawson, in that recent Guardian article, noted "his strength is extraordinary for a man four months away from 80" during an incident where he (Lawson) tried to prevent Saville groping a Front Row producer.

Replies From View

Quote from: bigfatheart on May 02, 2022, 06:31:09 PMIncidentally, for those who've never seen the picture of Savile with Elvis, here it is:

Forrest Gump as well please.

Savile's account of obtaining his OBE.  He gives it somewhat more than the passing mention most others who had gained it would in their memoirs.  He makes it quite clear how important it was to him.

I'm not surprised the conversation with the Queen Mum went on longer than it should, due to him going "e-urgh-e-urgh-e-urgh" and "as it 'appens" and "now then, now then" all the time.

This is his account of his mother's death. In his autobiography, this directly follows the story his OBE, which I posted above. Note he devotes less space to his parent's demise than he does to receiving his honour.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 09, 2022, 05:49:47 PMI'm not surprised the conversation with the Queen Mum went on longer than it should, due to him going "e-urgh-e-urgh-e-urgh" and "as it 'appens" and "now then, now then" all the time.

I bet he'd drop all that and be really smarmy and sycophantic.

petril

Quotethe Duchess decided to die

the most revealing part of those pages really. she was about 80 and he was in his mid forties at that point.

I'd love to be able to find out about what his family were like way back then, to see how this fucker emerged from it

Quote from: petril on May 10, 2022, 12:26:30 PMthe most revealing part of those pages really.

That he called her 'the Duchess'?

The Bumlord

Quote from: petril on May 10, 2022, 12:26:30 PMthe most revealing part of those pages really. she was about 80 and he was in his mid forties at that point.

I'd love to be able to find out about what his family were like way back then, to see how this fucker emerged from it

Savile and fam here. Him and his apparently similarly creepy brothers circled.

The Ombudsman

I find myself wanting to read more of the book the excerpts are taken from yet really don't want to at the same time. Can't help but feel it would be interesting and easy reading.

A bit like when I tried to read Dianetics for a laugh.

Dr Rock

His brother Vince was apparently the real hard-man nut job of the family. Dunno if he was a nonce.

Savile claimed his brothers were heroes and says his brother was the first person who he rang to tell of his impending OBE.

Yet his brother's apparent response sounds a little lukewarm, and, when Savile talks about his mother's death just after speaking of his honour, he tells a tale in which he seems to gain satisfaction from the same brother being snubbed as he sees it.

Then there is this story about his sister supposedly being given a message from his dead mother to give Savile the deceased parent's ring she was wearing, which also has the air of him vaunting himself as the preferred child.

Replies From View

It would be a shame if someone called Vince wasn't a Nonce.

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 10, 2022, 08:02:20 PMHis brother Vince was apparently the real hard-man nut job of the family. Dunno if he was a nonce.

Were you watching the Shaun Attwood podcast on Savile?  For those who've not seen it, he interviewed a man who'd wrote a book called Sinister Broadmoor, about that institution, and claimed to have researched Savile's background for that work and found out that Vince was supposedly the one who got him into managing clubs.

Dr Rock

The stuff mentioned above about his brother is mentioned in this podcast, from the 45.00 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL6nD_7aQlc

Enzo

Never knew Jim Bowen stole Savile's patter for Bully's prize board.