Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:53:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lateral Flow Tests

Started by bgmnts, September 28, 2021, 02:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Damn, seems like it really drags.

Very sore throat is the new one today. No chest problems but it scares me that my mum tested positive as she always gets chesty with colds and can suffer badly with them, 68 and obesity (though less these days) etc. Everything crossed here.

But yeah day 4 and a line on the new type (out if curiosity) before the flow even got near the control line.  Doesn't seem like this is going to clear up any time soon.

purlieu

My dad always gets really chesty with anything - he puts it down to whooping cough as a kid, he thinks he never properly recovered - and he's clear and back to normal now, my mum's obese and an ex smoker and is similarly clear. Girlfriend with ME barely had any symptoms. Meanwhile I'm really struggling to breathe today. Parents just picked me up one of those pulse oximeters to check my blood oxygen levels. Mine skips between 94% and 95%, apparently 94% is in the 'phone 111' category (92% is go straight to hospital). So this is fun.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

God, that sounds awful. Best of luck, purlieu.

My latest test (gob and conk edition) is still showing positive. The line is so faint that I didn't see it on first glance, but it is definitely there.

What is the protocol for being free? Two consecutive days of clear tests? My friend has asked if I'll look after their cat over the weekend, starting tomorrow. I would dearly love to say yes, but, even if I test negative tomorrow, is that enough time to be sure I wouldn't be breathing germs all over their flat?

MojoJojo

Well, the official protocol is just carry on as normal. If I remember right, it was 10 days from symptoms appearing or first positive test before "freedom day". A few days less if you can do negative tests 2 days in a row.

I think the obvious thing with the cat is ask your friend what they think. It's them you risk infecting.

Jerrykeshton

Spent last Thursday on the toilet with chronic diarrhoea. Wrote it off as bad chicken tikka from the cafe. Took test in early hours of Friday morning and was clear. Spent the Easter weekend in Dublin. Fine, got home Monday evening. Started to feel ill around lunch time on Tuesday. Tested positive, still very positive today.
Don't feel awful, bit of a cough, breathing ok but could quite happily spend rest of week in bed with a hot cocoa listening to Ambient. Very fatigued.

My guess is the diarrhoea opened a window for the COVID and now two sicknesses in a row have left me feeling rough.

Cloud

I had diarrhoea on the first day or two, for what it's worth.

Quote from: purlieu on April 21, 2022, 11:58:08 AMMy dad always gets really chesty with anything - he puts it down to whooping cough as a kid, he thinks he never properly recovered - and he's clear and back to normal now, my mum's obese and an ex smoker and is similarly clear. Girlfriend with ME barely had any symptoms. Meanwhile I'm really struggling to breathe today. Parents just picked me up one of those pulse oximeters to check my blood oxygen levels. Mine skips between 94% and 95%, apparently 94% is in the 'phone 111' category (92% is go straight to hospital). So this is fun.

Not to count any chickens but the first part is reassuring to hear, hopefully things go easy here.  Sorry to hear you're struggling though, hope it eases up soon.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Can't they make the test a bit more pleasant to perform, even now after all this time? I'm not keen on shoving things into my nose and throat that far. To be honest, I'd far prefer to shove the swab up my arsehole. At least my arsehole doesn't retch.

MojoJojo

I dunno, my career opportunities really opened up after I learnt to suppress my gag reflex.

JaDanketies

Me and my fiancée were coughing and a bit coldy but we tested negative and we went to visit my grandma and my brother with their consent and with plenty of drugs masking coughs and sneezes. But both tested positive shortly after our visit. I do think that it might be that the tests are shit, but we both did multiple and I did the throat and everything. I still haven't tested positive and neither has my fiancée since the COVID situation happened and I've been sick with COVID symptoms a few times

My brother was supposed to be going to California on a work thing this Saturday, this looks very unlikely, he is gutted

Grandma could've died but she seems well out of the woods now

purlieu

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, feeling ever so slightly better this morning. Tests are as baffling as ever.

Consignia

I finally tested negative last night after 10 days of positives. I've been feeling normal since day 4. The vax did it's job for me, since it was ultra mild, 1 day of heavy cold and 3 of mild. However it is frustrating to see how infectious you are, compared to symptoms. If this had been a normal cold for me, I'd have unknowingly infecting the community for days. Could have easily ruined a few people's easter hols.

Got an ONS survey PCR in a bit. That's a dead cert to be a positive test, so looking forward for those results.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Consignia on April 22, 2022, 11:13:21 AMit is frustrating to see how infectious you are, compared to symptoms.
Yep. I can't complain - being asymptomatic certainly beats the alternative - but it is kind of bizarre to think that, if it weren't for the LFTs, I could be walking around freely and completely oblivious.

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 21, 2022, 04:19:33 PMI think the obvious thing with the cat is ask your friend what they think. It's them you risk infecting.
Not just them. I also have to take two buses to get there (or walk for an hour and get a train - but bollocks to that). I've not got around to testing today yet, but I did suggest they get someone else to look after the cat.

You must understand, however, that this is not just any cat. This is the Best Cat.

purlieu

All clear on tests now. Still got a tight chest, although I think it's being compounded by anxiety and I'm not sure where one ends and the other begins. Still going to be taking it easy, planning on very slowly reintroducing more activity and exercise over the next ten days or so.

Cloud

No one seems to know for sure, but from my reading, you're probably not infectious after 5 days or so even if the line comes up, and it's just detecting bits of dead virus that you're still snotting out etc. NHS says the LFTs can still be showing positive for up to 90 days!

Work might want to reconsider their "come back when the line is gone" stance

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Cloud on April 24, 2022, 05:26:12 PMNo one seems to know for sure, but from my reading, you're probably not infectious after 5 days or so even if the line comes up, and it's just detecting bits of dead virus that you're still snotting out etc. NHS says the LFTs can still be showing positive for up to 90 days!

Work might want to reconsider their "come back when the line is gone" stance

After 2 years of managing to avoid it, our whole house is now positive. I started feeling crappy 6 days ago yet only tested positive today, after symptoms have mostly abated. Other half has an exhibition opening next weekend so we're in a bit of a quandry. The Scot gov advice says you're probably fine 5 days from onset of symptoms or positive test (whichever is first). Are positive tests after symptoms have passed meaningless?

Kankurette

I've tested negative today after testing positive on Sunday. Still not out of the woods symptom wise though, my legs are pretty painful and I woke up with a bad headache again, but I assume I don't have to isolate now.

Ferris

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on May 20, 2022, 10:49:40 AMAfter 2 years of managing to avoid it, our whole house is now positive. I started feeling crappy 6 days ago yet only tested positive today, after symptoms have mostly abated. Other half has an exhibition opening next weekend so we're in a bit of a quandary. The Scot gov advice says you're probably fine 5 days from onset of symptoms or positive test (whichever is first). Are positive tests after symptoms have passed meaningless?

I couldn't figure this out either - I suspect it is intentionally vague to encourage us plebs back to work pronto. We ended up quarantining like its 2020 for 2 weeks until the tests were negative again, but we're privileged work from home cunts so that doesn't apply for everyone.

I think if symptoms are gone and you're outside your 5 days you're alright even if you test positive.

Dex Sawash

Did my first test today.
Negative

Dex Sawash

I tested negative 5 days after semi-close contact with sick coworker cunt. Should I do another test or fuckit?
I have 3 more tests but don't want to waste them.

MojoJojo

Do you have any symptoms?

Dex Sawash

Kankurette

Negative test yesterday, something went wrong with my test today so will have to do another one tomorrow. I hate the throat swab ones. They make me gag.

Proactive

I tested positive on Tuesday evening having felt rough all day. Wife has all the same symptoms as me but is consistently testing negative. What the buggery is that all about? For what it's worth, she's had 4 jabs as she's clinically vulnerable (taking immunosuppressants) and I've only had 3.

Mr Vegetables

I'm consistently testing negative with lots of horrible symptoms, but assumed I probably had COVID over anything else anyway just because there is so much of it about now, and it is so infectious. It seems more likely to me I have a strain evading detection than some kind of other horrible virus, based on my large bank of no expert knowledge whatsoever.

turnstyle

Tested positive a week ago, after managing to dodge Covid for the entire pandemic.

Feels like the flu really, but I find that I am fucking knackered all the time. Hung the washing out yesterday and it was like I had gone a few rounds with Geoff Capes (in his prime, not now).

Wife's empathy ran out about half an hour after my first positive test.

Dex Sawash

Wife just tested positive noon today, she went to The Dixie Chicks show Tuesday. I came straight home from work and tested negative. Fuck, should have stayed at work.

Brian Freeze

One daughter keeps getting single lines but quite a pink smudgy background on the test.

Anyone any ideas whats going on there?

flotemysost

Had a temperature and the squits earlier in the week, but tested negative a few days in a row, so put it down to the recent meteorological insanity playing havoc with my innards (or possibly a delayed reaction to that kebab).

Did another test this morning as I was going to meet a friend whose partner is vulnerable; big fat bright red legs eleven showed up instantly (I feel absolutely fine now, ffs). Back in Club Corona, baby!

#Club Corona, tests aren't free
Order online, not enough for everyone
All that's missing is sick pay
But don't worry, you can sign on#

(Apologies, I'm really bored already - appreciate I'm very lucky to feel well enough to be bored though)

Quote from: Brian Freeze on July 17, 2022, 07:51:55 AMOne daughter keeps getting single lines but quite a pink smudgy background on the test.

Anyone any ideas whats going on there?

Not sure but I've had that on a few tests, the ink goes kind of swirly/marbled but there's no trace of an actual line next to the "T".

Brian Freeze

Cheers Flotes, glad it's not just us, get well soon yourself eh?

flotemysost

Thank you! Still feeling suspiciously OK. Hope you and your family continue to swerve it!