Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:22:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Documental (Japanese Comedy Show)

Started by fit bird, October 11, 2021, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 07, 2022, 03:55:31 PMI was trying to come up with a dream lineup for a UK version (won't post it as it's a bit of a wanky exercise) and I was trying to think of a good pick who's a bit of a "oh shit how did they get THEM" choice, and who the others would be like "I'm in big fucking trouble" about and now I'm gutted that the UK Documental with Rik Mayall will only exist in my head

Bob Mortimer would surely be the "I'm in big fucking trouble pick."

The harder person to cast is the host. You'd need someone respected and with authority but not overbearing. Only person that comes to mind for me is Frank Skinner maybe.

Jerzy Bondov

I'd have Vic and Bob hosting. Skinner would be good though.  To get the Documental feel it's got to be someone who's been around a while, is respected by other comics, and knows their comedy. I'd have said Stewart Lee but I feel like he's deliberately tried to avoid that kind of role by antagonising other comics.

amateur

I'd love to see your Russell Howard's of the world implode on a British Documental when they can't muster a laugh for their shit jokes.

I would also like to see Tim Key take part.

Ja'moke

Sally Phillips would be the Jimmy character. Can't stop laughing and gets pretty bonkers, if her Taskmaster run is anything to go by.

amateur

It would be very Documental to have Jimmy in the British version.

Swoz_MK

Bob'd be on a yellow within 5mins. "T'heee!"

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ron Superior on March 06, 2022, 10:44:36 PMAnyone heard anything about this?

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81484461?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=more&vlang=en&clip=81565838

Netflix trying to get in on the Documental game. Plenty of people from Documental involved, can't get my head around the premise.

I would go in with some caution, as the scripted sections naturally make it tonally very different to Documental. I am neutral to the Chidori boys on Documental, but on Wednesday Downtown and Gaki no Tsukaii they are really good so I enjoyed this a great deal.

I won't spoiler but it does have some familiar faces, including Minami!

Ja'moke

The first part of the final Documentary of Documental is out. The
Spoiler alert
bumming
[close]
is pretty shocking but I'm more shocked that
Spoiler alert
Jimmy has lasted this long!!
[close]

Ja'moke

The full final episode of Documentary of Documental is now out on the Patreon. It definitely got mad towards the end there, but I'm glad they found a way to broadcast the season.

Thanos is translating Joshimental 2 next, which I'm excited about!

Jerzy Bondov

Can anyone spoil the cast for Joshimental 2? Any returners?

Feel like pure shit just want First Summer Uika back

ProvanFan

Are there any Gosuke rap videos online? Or an album, perhaps.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 29, 2022, 01:39:52 PMCan anyone spoil the cast for Joshimental 2? Any returners?

Feel like pure shit just want First Summer Uika back

Here you go:

Spoiler alert
Kyoko Hamaguchi and First Summer Uika return from the first show. Sakura Inoue, Aika Kanda, Ami Kikuchi, Nana Suzuki, Kayo Noro and Karina Maruyama make up the rest of the cast
[close]

C_Larence

Watched Joshimental S1 and all of Season 7 over the past couple of days after taking a break.

Mild S7 spoilers:

Spoiler alert
Not one of the best seasons imo, it was missing the presence of a Jimmy or Fujimoto. Katou and Hollywood (the latter undeniably a force of nature, even though I don't find him very funny) were the only two really trying.

Kobuya especially might as well have not been there at all, I know he said his knees hurt in the opening interview so maybe that's why, but apart from being the only person to make Hollywood laugh he was completely invisible.
[close]

Loved Joshimental though, the tension in the last minute was amazing

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: letsgobrian on March 29, 2022, 10:47:30 PMHere you go:

Spoiler alert
Kyoko Hamaguchi and First Summer Uika return from the first show. Sakura Inoue, Aika Kanda, Ami Kikuchi, Nana Suzuki, Kayo Noro and Karina Maruyama make up the rest of the cast
[close]
Thanks! Hopefully they're setting
Spoiler alert
Uika
[close]
up as Joshimental's Fujimon.

C_Larence

Quote from: C_Larence on March 30, 2022, 03:19:18 AM
Spoiler alert
Kobuya especially might as well have not been there at all, I know he said his knees hurt in the opening interview so maybe that's why, but apart from being the only person to make Hollywood laugh he was completely invisible.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I named the wrong person there, meant Hachimitsu. Koyabu (not "kobuya") was another useless contestant tbf
[close]

Ja'moke

The first part of Joshimental 2 is up on the Thanos patreon. Going to watch later.

Also, what happened to Minami (the CAB poster)? Hope he's ok.

amateur

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 14, 2022, 06:52:32 PMThe first part of Joshimental 2 is up on the Thanos patreon. Going to watch later.

Also, what happened to Minami (the CAB poster)? Hope he's ok.

Same, I haven't heard back from a DM I sent (about Documental).

I also have got involved with the Patreon and am v excited.

Ja'moke

I probably should have waited until the full episode was uploaded, because now I need to see the rest. Joshimental might be my favourite version of this show.

I'm really glad First Summer Uika and Kyoko Hamaguchi are both back. Kyoko brings that Jimmy style craziness and Uika provides the Fujimon role, helping set the vibe (and has the best trying not to laugh face).

Also loved all the wrestling references.

amateur

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 18, 2022, 01:47:02 AMThe first part of the final Documentary of Documental is out. The
Spoiler alert
bumming
[close]
is pretty shocking but I'm more shocked that
Spoiler alert
Jimmy has lasted this long!!
[close]

Only watched the first part of the last episode. Still trying to get my head around exactly what was going on with the

Spoiler alert
massively redacted part - was there a guy at both end? Was it just balls involved or dicks as well?
[close]

In true Documental style the matter-of-factness in the room makes it so hard to tell exactly how appalling it was, but I'm assuming: very.

fit bird

Watched the Documentary of Documental now, if anyone's put off by the weird name, don't be: for 99% of the time it's just a normal Documental.

It's a great line up too, much much better than the real Documental 8.
Spoiler alert
Akiyama with a hose spraying water from a mouth cut into his shirt is a terrific image.
[close]

amateur

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 14, 2022, 11:15:17 PMI probably should have waited until the full episode was uploaded, because now I need to see the rest. Joshimental might be my favourite version of this show.

I'm really glad First Summer Uika and Kyoko Hamaguchi are both back. Kyoko brings that Jimmy style craziness and Uika provides the Fujimon role, helping set the vibe (and has the best trying not to laugh face).

Also loved all the wrestling references.

I also loved it, there's something about the energy and enthusiasm that makes it a complete joy.

The constant applause and movement as well! They're all over the place.

Can't wait for the second part.

Ja'moke

The full episode of Joshimental 2 is out now. Fantastic. Some of my favourite ever Documental bits towards the end of the episode. And I think it's official, Uika has taken over Fujimon for best trying-not-to-laugh face.

Famous Mortimer

I just finished series 1 last night, and moved on to series 2. Unsurprisingly to anyone reading this thread, I love it.

Daisuke's little tweak of the hips when he demonstrated Analympics might be the hardest I've laughed at anything all year. Can't wait for what happens in series 2.

Ja'moke

amateur

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 28, 2022, 11:53:32 PMThe full episode of Joshimental 2 is out now. Fantastic. Some of my favourite ever Documental bits towards the end of the episode. And I think it's official, Uika has taken over Fujimon for best trying-not-to-laugh face.

I got the email on this - so initially the first half came up, and now it's the whole thing? So, no way to download just the second half?

Ja'moke

Quote from: amateur on May 08, 2022, 08:15:48 PMI got the email on this - so initially the first half came up, and now it's the whole thing? So, no way to download just the second half?

The one I downloaded was the full episode. Not sure if the second part is available on its own.

amateur

I love Documental so much I'll re-download the content.

Just normal legend behaviour over here.

Famous Mortimer

Just seeing Matsumoto in bits over something where the rest of them are keeping a straight-ish face is funny as hell. This show is so good.

Swoz_MK

I've signed up to Thanos' Patreon. Are the subs hardcoded onto the Patron releases? I only ask as a SRT file is also included as a download? Not sure how my telly'll deal with that.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Swoz_MK on May 09, 2022, 10:19:02 AMI've signed up to Thanos' Patreon. Are the subs hardcoded onto the Patron releases? I only ask as a SRT file is also included as a download? Not sure how my telly'll deal with that.

Yeah they're hardcorded.