Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:52:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021/2022: All Thread Everything

Started by madhair60, November 22, 2021, 08:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

According to Becky she was the one who wanted to turn heel. Presumably because she enjoys the role more. Why WWE would agree to one of their few genuinely popular babyfaces returning from a long absence and immediately going heel is anyone's guess.

Outside of Roman Reigns (and I give the credit here to Paul Heyman), WWE is creatively clueless.

But of course it doesn't matter as they see themselves as a media empire and are making fuck tonnes of cash.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Deanjam on November 30, 2021, 11:18:13 AMAccording to Becky she was the one who wanted to turn heel.

Actually the opposite, she's said in interviews she thought she was coming back from her pregnancy as a face and WWE then told her she was going heel. Baffling.

I don't have a problem with her turning heel. It's just the way they are executing this run. There's no logic to the way they are doing so much long-term damage both to her and the rest of the division for cheap heat.

BeardFaceMan

That's just the WWE way though isn't it, logic isn't a factor, Vince just does things on a whim at the last minute. When they spend all that time and money and manpower and resources on repackaging a talent for tv only to release them a week later, that should tell you the extent of their forward planning. Compare that to AEW where TK had the first 4 AEW champs mapped out from the start and the difference shows in the quality of their output.

Deanjam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 30, 2021, 11:36:39 AMActually the opposite, she's said in interviews she thought she was coming back from her pregnancy as a face and WWE then told her she was going heel. Baffling.

Really? I swore I heard her say it was her idea. I'm going as senile as Vince.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on November 30, 2021, 01:29:29 PMReally? I swore I heard her say it was her idea. I'm going as senile as Vince.

The dirt sheets first reported that it was Becky's idea to turn heel. But in a later interview, I think maybe with BT Sport, Becky said she thought she'd be returning as a face and found out last minute that she'd be turning heel.

Anyway, reading the recap of Raw, it made me laugh that for Austin Theory's punishment he was made to watch an entire episode of Raw with Vince.

I also find this whole Fast Nationals ratings lark hilarious. WWE clearly leaking Fast Nationals numbers (the very early ratings that are almost always inaccurate) to wrestling press to make AEW look less favorable. The recent leaked Dynamite number was almost 100k off the actual final number.

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 30, 2021, 02:39:07 PMAnyway, reading the recap of Raw, it made me laugh that for Austin Theory's punishment he was made to watch an entire episode of Raw with Vince.

Shocking to see such abuse in the workplace.

elliszeroed

MJF, to CM Punk (AKA PG Punk): "You might as well be coming out here preaching hustle, loyalty and respect."

BOOM!

I'd forgotten how much I could enjoy promos, instead of contract signings.

the contract signing thing is so funny, it's what I would do on TEW to use up 20 minutes and get the matches:angles ratio to an acceptable level playing out on their actual television. Is WWE a TEW save?

Ja'moke

Now we know why Cody has been cosplaying as Fuego 2!

Mobius

fucking fun match. Andrade looked sick in street clothes! Wondered what that horrible flaky shit on Cody's back was... makes sense now lol

Ja'moke

I called the flaming table when I saw Cody's back, but seems most thought it was just sunburn peel. I did enjoy Taz saying it was glue from the bin they knocked over haha.

A bit of an odd Dynamite in places. But Ruby v Statlander was really good, and the main event was bonkers but fun.

Also that golden shovel spot was so stupid but made me laugh. "Lean into it!"

Moribunderast

Can we all promise not to boo Cody so he won't throw himself into fucking fire to try and get cheers? Dear Lord! Main Event was a very fun, chaotic brawl though - and I say that as someone who has really cooled on Cody's character over the last while.

Also just adoring heel Bryan Danielson. He's such a nasty, cheeky shit. His glee at attracting boos is joyous.

spanky

Danielson's been having the absolutely time of his life so far and it really comes across. He's one who can lean towards different character facets but still be himself and it just works, has done for well over a decade now. He's the absolute best and I still rewatch that episode where he came back out of retirement now and again

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: spanky on December 02, 2021, 10:22:19 AMDanielson's been having the absolutely time of his life so far and it really comes across.

He's the best thing on the show for me at the moment. I've said before, but you have to admire the skills of someone who is a long-time fan favourite and can still get legitimate heel heat like that, it's great to watch. Don't think he's had a duff match yet either, he's my MVP of AEW signings.

Gurke and Hare

That Sting match was like watching a Big Daddy match. The Gunn club aren't interesting, let's hope that's the end of that. The rest was good.

Tony: Respect goes out of the window.
Taz: Like when you write a book.

Gurke and Hare

FITE taking the ad breaks out of the replay as well, that's good.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on December 02, 2021, 07:23:33 PMThat Sting match was like watching a Big Daddy match. The Gunn club aren't interesting, let's hope that's the end of that.

Still can't help but be impressed by Billy Gunn though, dude is in phenomenal shape. Darby gets some crazy momentum going when he throws himself out of the ring and he usually goes straight through people, it was amusing to see him just ping off Billy like a pinball when he did the cannonball to the outside.

Gurke and Hare

I think there's a slim outside chance that Billy might have eaten some steroids.

Spiteface

Let's be honest here, does AEW test or even have any drug policy in place to speak of?

They ain't the land of the giants that WWE is, but it's something I've not heard anything about.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I think because there's not that pressure to be big (in size) on the indies/in AEW, it's more about being a good wrestler, Vince just wants beefcakes. I haven't heard about them having any kind of testing program but they probably don't need it, there isn't that pressure there to be ripped or be massive because wrestlers are free to use their other qualities to get over. Obviously there are a few guys like Billy or Brian Cage who you think have to be juicing but wrestling doesn't really have that culture any more, I'd be very suprised to hear of the guys injecting steroids into each others arses in the locker room at AEW. I think it's different to back in the day when a guy would come to the gym with a bag full of drugs for you to buy, these guys are getting it on prescription now so maybe testing doesn't need to be done (do they have an in-house doctor like WWE do)? It is interesting that they haven't made any kind statement about that kind of thing, though. With Mox's recent troubles there was talk of WWE offering to pay for his rehab as that's their policy whether you're still working there or not, I wonder if there's anything similar at AEW?

Gurke and Hare

Apparently Billy's in some kind of seniors' body building competition soon - would they have any kind of drug testing regime? I'd have thought so, as it's a genuinely competitive thing.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on December 03, 2021, 03:17:01 PMApparently Billy's in some kind of seniors' body building competition soon - would they have any kind of drug testing regime? I'd have thought so, as it's a genuinely competitive thing.

He got sacked from WWE for testing positive at a powerlifting contest but dunno about body building.

Gurke and Hare

Gurke and Hare

The (excellent) main event on Rampage was longer than all the matches on Smackdown combined.

Ja'moke

up_the_hampipe

I'm enjoying face Brock right now. Had some fun interactions with Sami Zayn last night.

Ja'moke

I read that the last 30 minutes of Smackdown had three commercial breaks, two sets of recaps, a backstage segment, and then a 10 second match??

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 04, 2021, 04:15:58 PMI read that the last 30 minutes of Smackdown had three commercial breaks, two sets of recaps, a backstage segment, and then a 10 second match??

Oh yeah, I mean that sounds typical. They did Sami Zayn pretty dirty at the end.